SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-12-17 02:40:29

dhinds

Re: Pros and Cons of #! with Openbox

Ozitraveller wrote:

I've heard that the LXDE and razor-qt dev teams have joined forces and that some future verion of LXDE will be qt based.

PCMan has stated that both GTK and Qt versions will continue for LXDE.

But what will happen to Openbox when Wayland replaces XWindows?  Will there be a Wayland version of Openbox?

Last edited by dhinds (2013-12-17 02:42:58)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#27 2013-12-17 03:28:34

dhinds

AndyinMokum wrote:

Good for you, go for it. Crunchbang is really fantastic. You obviously know your way around a distro or two.  I found this, "things to do after installing Crunchbang" really useful: ThingsToDoAfterInstallingCrunchbang.

Thanks.  That is a very good reference.

AndyinMokum wrote:

Good to see someone else giving Porteus a go.  I use it do demonstrate how diverse Linux is.  I haven't met anyone who isn't impressed first seeing my Crunchbang OpenBox setup and then seeing a different full featured distro being booted from a thumb drive.  It generates a huge amount of interest.

Porteus is impressive from the start - you configure the version you want before downloading it.  I became aware of it after distrowatch published a very favorable review of it.

I used it with my ThinkPad W520 notebook computer, which was purchased with 2 hard drives linked via a hardware RAID Controller which I set to RAID O.  Manjaro recognized the RAID configuration but Neptune (Debian based) didn't and one of the OS's I tried to install knocked one of the disks out of RAID (although the installation was NOT to either hard drive but rather to an external drive).

I used Porteus to keep the computer working while I attempted to recouple those two hard drives in RAID 0 (the ThinkPad was still under warrantee) but Lenovo / IBM made little effort to help me recover my data.  I finally got them to send Recovery DVD's but lost the data and removed the RAID configuration. 

I saved my Porteus thumb drive, of course; but have Sparky Mate & openSUSE Gnome installed on Drive 0 but the BIOS is programmed to boot from Drive 1 - where Win 7 is (I don't use it but it has Lojack anti-theft software installled).

AndyinMokum wrote:

I also had problems with Manjaro but only the community spins.  I just could not get any of them to recognise my keyboard.  It didn't matter what I tried. The keys worked but the language coming out wasn't human  lol.  That hasn't changed.  I've got the official ManjaroBox spin running in a VM with no keyboard issues and very slick it is too.

v. O.8.8 I suppose.  (Although since Manjaro is rolling, that wouldn't matter). 

Someone in the Manjaro Forum had it installed on a W530 but Manjaro would never boot on my W520.

As I recall, Amsterdam is a peaceful city.

#28 2013-12-17 07:51:09

AndyinMokum
#! Junkie

Hi dhinds and gooooood morning from  a bloody cold Amsterdam.  I have some instructions to install a self organizing menu if you are still interested.  InstallingSelfOrganizingMenus, entry #9.  I've got the Xfce one installed and it works really very well. It feels at home in OpenBox as it is text only.  The funny thing is, I hardly ever use it.  I've become so used to the short cut keys and manually edited menus.  I hope this helps.  Have fun  smile !

"If you can't blind 'em with science, baffle 'em with bullshit".

Distros: Crunchbang 11 ""Waldorf" 64bit & Peppermint Five 64bit, Machine: Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO Notebook Li 3710, CPU: 2x Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHz, RAM: 4GB

#29 2013-12-17 09:18:03

AndyinMokum
#! Junkie

dhinds wrote:
AndyinMokum wrote:

Good for you, go for it. Crunchbang is really fantastic. You obviously know your way around a distro or two.  I found this, "things to do after installing Crunchbang" really useful: ThingsToDoAfterInstallingCrunchbang.

Thanks.  That is a very good reference.

AndyinMokum wrote:

Good to see someone else giving Porteus a go.  I use it do demonstrate how diverse Linux is.  I haven't met anyone who isn't impressed first seeing my Crunchbang OpenBox setup and then seeing a different full featured distro being booted from a thumb drive.  It generates a huge amount of interest.

Porteus is impressive from the start - you configure the version you want before downloading it.  I became aware of it after distrowatch published a very favorable review of it.

I used it with my ThinkPad W520 notebook computer, which was purchased with 2 hard drives linked via a hardware RAID Controller which I set to RAID O.  Manjaro recognized the RAID configuration but Neptune (Debian based) didn't and one of the OS's I tried to install knocked one of the disks out of RAID (although the installation was NOT to either hard drive but rather to an external drive).

I used Porteus to keep the computer working while I attempted to recouple those two hard drives in RAID 0 (the ThinkPad was still under warrantee) but Lenovo / IBM made little effort to help me recover my data.  I finally got them to send Recovery DVD's but lost the data and removed the RAID configuration. 

I saved my Porteus thumb drive, of course; but have Sparky Mate & openSUSE Gnome installed on Drive 0 but the BIOS is programmed to boot from Drive 1 - where Win 7 is (I don't use it but it has Lojack anti-theft software installled).

AndyinMokum wrote:

I also had problems with Manjaro but only the community spins.  I just could not get any of them to recognise my keyboard.  It didn't matter what I tried. The keys worked but the language coming out wasn't human  lol.  That hasn't changed.  I've got the official ManjaroBox spin running in a VM with no keyboard issues and very slick it is too.

v. O.8.8 I suppose.  (Although since Manjaro is rolling, that wouldn't matter). 

Someone in the Manjaro Forum had it installed on a W530 but Manjaro would never boot on my W520.

As I recall, Amsterdam is a peaceful city.

Its beautifully peaceful; very conducive to free thinking ageing hippies lol .

"If you can't blind 'em with science, baffle 'em with bullshit".

Distros: Crunchbang 11 ""Waldorf" 64bit & Peppermint Five 64bit, Machine: Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO Notebook Li 3710, CPU: 2x Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHz, RAM: 4GB

#30 2013-12-17 14:51:21

saneks
#! Die Hard

if you only want a auto-updating menu, you don't even need to install anything.

just run  xfce4-panel and customize it to your liking.

(you could keep only the menu button and shrink the whole thing, so you can keep tint2 panel (and shrink this as well to make space for the menu button)

when you're set, you can add it to autostart.

edit: by the way, the thread you posted for the menu is from 2008 (ok, last post was 2012). crunchbang was based on ubuntu in this time and threads this old can be considered are pretty much outdated.

there are other ways to have the menu right in the OB menu as well.. but since I don't use those, I can't point you to a thread.. I am sure you'll find it by yourself easily.

Last edited by saneks (2013-12-17 14:57:20)

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

#31 2013-12-17 18:15:41

Roetsj
#! CrunchBanger

saneks wrote:

there are other ways to have the menu right in the OB menu as well.

It's the Debian pipemenu and there was a wiki, see under auto updating menu: http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/configu … enbox_menu.

For other possibilities: http://nixventure.blogspot.co.uk/2011/1 … menus.html

#32 2013-12-17 20:27:58

dhinds

saneks wrote:

if you only want a auto-updating menu, you don't even need to install anything.

just run  xfce4-panel and customize it to your liking.

(you could keep only the menu button and shrink the whole thing, so you can keep tint2 panel (and shrink this as well to make space for the menu button)

when you're set, you can add it to autostart.

I'll try that as soon as I get back to the Asus M5A78L-MLX Plus MB / AMD FX 4 Core based desktop machine (I'm using the ThinkPad w520 at the moment).

saneks wrote:

edit: by the way, the thread you posted for the menu is from 2008 (ok, last post was 2012). crunchbang was based on ubuntu in this time and threads this old can be considered are pretty much outdated.

I didn't know that.  (I DID check the date of the last post made, but that may be why the Debian menu hasn't appeared).

Although Ubuntu is/was based on Debian there are important differences and I stopped using Ubuntu and it's derivatives sometime back due to the need to reinstall, endlessly  .  (I was also considering forgetting about openSUSE until I realized that it can be upgraded in place with zypper dup (which I did recently) or through a net install disk.

saneks wrote:

there are other ways to have the menu right in the OB menu as well.. but since I don't use those, I can't point you to a thread.. I am sure you'll find it by yourself easily.

or Roetsj could post a link or two.

Thanks to all.

Last edited by dhinds (2013-12-17 20:36:25)

#33 2013-12-17 21:38:52

dhinds

Roetsj wrote:
saneks wrote:

there are other ways to have the menu right in the OB menu as well.

It's the Debian pipemenu and there was a wiki, see under auto updating menu: http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/configu … enbox_menu.

For other possibilities: http://nixventure.blogspot.co.uk/2011/1 … menus.html

That's good.  I'll follow the instructions and see what happens.

But I want to make a comment - and explain what I feel my needs are:

I generally have quite a few applications, web pages and documents open at the same time, so I try to invest in equipment that allows me to do that, which I need to get my work done.

As I understand it, #! is focused on letting #! users determine what they need and/or are looking for.  And the #! installation presents users with a number of options near the end of the installation.  So why doesn't the #! installation allow users to decide whether they want or need menus?  Why isn't that option included in the #! installation?  Why is the default no menus other than the ob menu? (That's a constructive suggestion, rather than a complaint).

Also, I still don't understand the difference between #! and other Debian derivatives that offer an OpenBox version.  I assume that as a specialized distro, #! includes the tools that allow users to get their work done even more efficiently than other Debian Based distros that include versions with more extensive (and sometimes bloated) desktops installed.  (I intend to try one of those soon, to better understand the difference, on the same computer - which has less ram than the others 4 Gb rather than 16.  It has a lot more disk space however, and was intended originally to be a NAS type server).

Personally, I don't use KDE for that reason - too fancy and slow.  But I have been using Gnome-shell and Mate with a significant degree of success and I am attempting to determine whether #! will provide me with the tools I need, once I master the learning curve (assuming that it won't make break my stride so much that I fall behind on dealing with other commitments).

Thanks to all for your attention and contributions.  #! users are an intense group - that's for sure.

#34 2013-12-17 21:52:51

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

dhinds wrote:

Why is the default no menus other than the ob menu?

About Crunchbang wrote:

The primary aim of the CrunchBang project is to produce a stable distribution offering the best possible out-of-the-box Openbox experience.

Openbox has a menu. Crunchbang provides an Openbox menu. If users want anything else they are welcome to install other panels or menus, and ample instruction and help is given here when asked for. Most users, even those who initially want an auto menu, eventually come to like and appreciate the Openbox menu style.

You are welcome to suggest anything you think should be included in the next release: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=26321

The short answer to "What makes #! different from other Debian derivatives that provide an Openbox version?" is this forum. Try as many other derivatives as you like. If you find one that better suits your needs, please use it. If you find one with a more helpful forum, you are lucky. If not, you can ask for help with any of them here.

Last edited by porkpiehat (2013-12-17 22:08:51)

# echo 0.0.0.0 crunchbang.org >> /etc/hosts

#35 2013-12-17 22:08:21

damo
#! gimpbanger

^what porkpiehat said

@dhinds
My initial reaction with this distro was the same as many: "Why doesn't the menu autoupdate?" After doing it manually for a while I came to prefer it absolutely. Why should I let an installed app decide which sub-menu it should put itself in? I don't want to go around manually editing .desktop files to change categories.

And like most people here I now dislike autoupdating menus and desktop icons, and find they actually reduce ease-of-use.

There are always suggestions about what should be in the cb-welcome script, and corenominal has to draw the line somewhere. It's his distro after all. FWIW I think your idea is OK, but it's down to the developer how much time he wants to spend including it - after all it's a relatively easy user option to enable

Artwork at deviantArt;  Iceweasel Personas;  SLiM #! Themes;  Openbox themes

#36 2013-12-18 01:10:22

ew
#! Die Hard

Agree with those above here. But it`s a bit strange. I don`t want my car to be as simple and minimal as possible.

- apt-mark hold account

#37 2013-12-18 02:14:18

dhinds

My main problem was being able to navigate from workspace to workspace and from application to application.  Installing the LXpanel let me add a widget to minimize all windows, which let me get to the OB Panel, at least.  But running the XFCE4-Panel puts a little more control where I can use it and is very easy to do.

I would agree that the #! forums make a big difference (which is what I asked) and that doesn't depend on one distro-owner (which I was a little leery of with Solus, even before that distro-owner suddenly dumped the distro - although he was attempting to initiate a totally new one and found he needed more resources (although he was very good at what he was doing - Solus was much more stable than LMDE).

After all, we are talking about Debian Stable and Openbox.  The rest is about what is included and/or left out. 

After I unsuspended #! on the machine I installed it on I found it to be somewhat sluggish and rebooted to another Debian / Openbox distro that has some things I would like to remove.  (It also has a theme I don't like so I changed it, in the live session).  I haven't installed it and will be booting back into #! soon.

As I said, the XFCE4-panel seems to solve the problem for me, although I tried it on this other distro, first.  (Sparky Ultra - Openbox).

Open Source is Open Source and Open Source is not Closed.   wink

I might want to run #! as Debian Testing, and I assume that doing that can be (and is being) done.

Last edited by dhinds (2013-12-18 16:18:49)

#38 2013-12-18 02:35:50

damo
#! gimpbanger

dhinds wrote:

My main problem was being able to navigate from workspace to workspace and from application to application.  Installing the LXpanel let me add a widget to minimize all windows, which let me get to the OB Panel, at least.  But running the XFCE4-Panel puts a little more control where I can use it and is very easy to do.

?? By OB panel do you mean the tint2 bar along the top in the default desktop? It should stay uncovered in the default config.
Anyway, there are several keybinds for desktop switching, or mouse scroll on the panel; there is super-D for showing the desktop; the client-menu keybind to cycle through all windows etc etc. Check out your rc.xml for all the default options

Artwork at deviantArt;  Iceweasel Personas;  SLiM #! Themes;  Openbox themes

#39 2013-12-18 12:18:20

ew
#! Die Hard

dhinds wrote:

Installing the LXpanel let me add a widget to minimize all windows, which let me get to the OB Panel, at least.

It`s no problem getting a showdesktop-button in openbox. Add a launcher to a custom desktop-file in your tint2-config. The desktop-file  can look something like this, which is the one I use:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Exec=xdotool key Super+d
Icon=/home/ew/.icons/kfm_home.png
Name=Show Desktop

I call it "showdesktop.desktop". You can name it whatever you want smile

If you look at the three buttons to the right of the systray, those are for show-desktop, lock-desktop and cb-exit... Of course you can use any icon you like....
2013-12-18--1387368369111x56scrot.png

- apt-mark hold account

#40 2013-12-18 13:28:12

rwsChris
#! Member

Hi again, dhinds, you may like to try johnraffs #!-xfce-respin script here.

It uses xfce alongside openbox to get a more traditional desktop experience -- and the menus update! You do have to install a barebones Debian first and then apply the script. But it's a pretty smooth process. (Of course, since you have everything already installed, you could try it in a vm to see how he put it together or something along those lines.)

I would hazard a guess that the #! install script does not have all the options you may be looking for because (and this is just my guess) if we were to tally up what everyone wanted, we would have a rather diverse, long, and unwieldy script. #! differs from, say, Mint in that there are not numerous communally maintained alternative ISOs. There's a single #! and we tweak it individually.

Just as an example of the diverging opinions, you could read some of the "Janice" development thread here. (This is a thread for suggestions for the next #! edition.)

#41 2013-12-18 16:22:28

dhinds

damo wrote:

Anyway, there are several keybinds for desktop switching, or mouse scroll on the panel; there is super-D for showing the desktop; the client-menu keybind to cycle through all windows etc etc. Check out your rc.xml for all the default options

Those are things I need to know in order to make use of #!.  (super-D works like a charm, in OpenBox and I'll check out the rest).

#42 2013-12-18 16:25:21

dhinds

ew wrote:
dhinds wrote:

Installing the LXpanel let me add a widget to minimize all windows, which let me get to the OB Panel, at least.

It`s no problem getting a showdesktop-button in openbox. Add a launcher to a custom desktop-file in your tint2-config. The desktop-file  can look something like this, which is the one I use:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Exec=xdotool key Super+d
Icon=/home/ew/.icons/kfm_home.png
Name=Show Desktop

I call it "showdesktop.desktop". You can name it whatever you want smile

If you look at the three buttons to the right of the systray, those are for show-desktop, lock-desktop and cb-exit... Of course you can use any icon you like....
http://en.zimagez.com/miniature/2013-12-18--1387368369111x56scrot.png

Another valuable contribution, ew.

#43 2013-12-18 16:38:02

saneks
#! Die Hard

crunchbang aims to be an openbox-distro. absence of an auto-updating menu is a huge feature for me. I can decide what's in and where it is. compare that to the lxde-menu or xfce menu where suddenly all kinds of packages show up (especially in category "other") that you'll almost never need to run. removing those unwanted items is a lot more work than adding the one program you install every two months to OBmenu.

also, we have alt+F3 dmenu, which is autoupdating and useful to find any program in any category as you type- awesome.

Last edited by saneks (2013-12-18 16:39:50)

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

#44 2013-12-18 17:16:38

dhinds

rwsChris wrote:

Hi again, dhinds, you may like to try johnraffs #!-xfce-respin script here.

Looks good.  And apparently it can be installed over a barebones #! installation. (I read the whole thread and was glad to observe the corenominal spoke favorably about the re-spin). 

rwsChris wrote:

It uses xfce alongside openbox to get a more traditional desktop experience -- and the menus update!

I noticed that yesterday on running the xcfe4-panel.

IAC, I don't mind changing paradigms (gnome-shell is also very different from tradition desktops and I installed the Ubuntu Netbook Edition -the precursor to the Unity Desktop- on a Lenovo X100e, along with Perpermint Ice.  I haven't use Ubuntu or it's derivatives for some time however).  I just need to be able to know where things are and move around in the system

rwsChris wrote:

You do have to install a barebones Debian first and then apply the script. But it's a pretty smooth process. (Of course, since you have everything already installed, you could try it in a vm to see how he put it together or something along those lines.)

I would hazard a guess that the #! install script does not have all the options you may be looking for because (and this is just my guess) if we were to tally up what everyone wanted, we would have a rather diverse, long, and unwieldy script.

Understood.  The re-spin includes Thunderbird/Icedove (which IS what I use), but that can be installed separately.  I don't know yet whether it has more than I need or less (or both), given the ease of running xcfe4-panel, but I will look into it.

rwsChris wrote:

#! differs from, say, Mint in that there are not numerous communally maintained alternative ISOs. There's a single #! and we tweak it individually.

Just as an example of the diverging opinions, you could read some of the "Janice" development thread here. (This is a thread for suggestions for the next #! edition.)

Mint was what I used most for a few years but I switched to LMDE, which I discovered was not the best Debian derviative (and isn't one of Mint's main editions).  The main competition to #! is Sparky IMO, although no other distro has a forum this active and knowledable regarding their OS, I think.

I don't mind getting under the hood (and have pulled, rebuilt and installed my own engines, but know less about the mechanics of OS's).  The main problem is I have other committments and can only take so much time to assimilate all the details because no one else can do the tasks I have to finish and I can pay a mechanic to do the engine work (which is not that expensive here where I am). 

That's where the forums comes in (except there's no charge smile ).

The main thing I think I need to resolve relates to whether I need Stable or Testing (which seems to have access to more software sources - at least Synaptic in Sparky -including Sparky Ultra-OpenBox- show that).  IAC, #! will remain installed on the machine I installed it on (which is about as fast but has less RAM) as the other two now in use) and we can continue to deal with these issues (so I can be of help myself to new #! users, in the future).

If OpenBox is the way to go, this is the place to be.  (I am not familiar with Archbang or it's forum, however).

Last edited by dhinds (2013-12-18 18:26:05)

#45 2013-12-18 17:58:41

MALsPa
#! Member

dhinds wrote:

If OpenBox is the way to go, this is the pace to be.  (I am not familiar with Archbang or it's forum, however).

I like ArchBang as much as I like CrunchBang. Openbox, pacman, the Arch repos and Arch documentation -- all good stuff. The ArchBang forums, very quiet in comparison to those of a lot of other distros, but that's fine with me. I guess the most important difference between ArchBang and CrunchBang, perhaps, comes down to the obvious differences between Debian and Arch. My feeling lately is that instead of choosing between Debian and Arch, I'd prefer to run both and take advantage of what each side offers.

#46 2013-12-18 18:32:11

dhinds

MALsPa wrote:
dhinds wrote:

If OpenBox is the way to go, this is the place to be.  (I am not familiar with Archbang or it's forum, however).

I like ArchBang as much as I like CrunchBang. Openbox, pacman, the Arch repos and Arch documentation -- all good stuff. The ArchBang forums, very quiet in comparison to those of a lot of other distros, but that's fine with me. I guess the most important difference between ArchBang and CrunchBang, perhaps, comes down to the obvious differences between Debian and Arch. My feeling lately is that instead of choosing between Debian and Arch, I'd prefer to run both and take advantage of what each side offers.

An eminently reasonable response.  There is no such thing as monogamy in relation to OS's.

I asked at the beginning of this thread:

What will happen to Openbox when Wayland replaces XWindows?  Will there be a Wayland version of Openbox?

I searched the #! archives but haven't seen that mentioned.

Last edited by dhinds (2013-12-18 19:02:03)

#47 2014-02-05 19:16:11

flaneur

saneks wrote:

crunchbang aims to be an openbox-distro. absence of an auto-updating menu is a huge feature for me. I can decide what's in and where it is. ...

Same here. It's not that I install or remove applications often enough to require an auto-updating menu. In any case, I launch most of the apps I use via keyboard shortcuts (in rc.xml).

Last edited by flaneur (2014-02-05 19:16:40)

#48 2014-02-05 19:18:22

flaneur

dhinds wrote:

What will happen to Openbox when Wayland replaces XWindows? ...

Indeed, what will happen to all the WMs, not just Openbox. Any links?

#49 2014-02-05 23:10:38

xero
#! Junkie
Website

the first few posts answer your main question. the big difference between #! and other distros is which linux flavor they're based on. #! is debian stable, archbang is arch, (most) linuxBBQs are based on debian sid... and on and on...

i used a few other distros with "windows-like" features (e.g. linux mint). i decided i wanted something more minimal as a base that i could configure and run to my liking. #! is a really *solid* base (debian stable is a big part of that) with minimal installed components to run the box.

another thing LXDE has that #! does not is a DE (or desktop environment). i really though i would miss a "desktop" with icons and crap. but i have realized that's all visual "fluff". i fell like my file system is much more organized now that i have to decide where to put files (as opposed to just dropping them on the desktop).

in the past year i have installed tons of new apps, and uninstalled half of them. when i use an app for a while i add it to the menu, otherwise i just uninstall it. also, i have my own organization scheme, and auto-updating menu would be making those decisions for me, which is not what i'm looking for.

i have recently switched my WM (window manager) from openbox to awesome. and i'm really happy with it. i still use many of the components from #! (the xfce volume + wifi controls, dmenu, nitrogen, thunar, etc, etc). the minimal nature of #! makes tweaking the system very simple. and when you switch from one app to another, you can just uninstall the old and move on with the new.

▬▬ι═════════ﺤ
dotfiles http://git.io/.files

Be excellent to each other!

#50 2014-02-07 01:32:34

ew
#! Die Hard

flaneur wrote:
dhinds wrote:

What will happen to Openbox when Wayland replaces XWindows? ...

Indeed, what will happen to all the WMs, not just Openbox. Any links?

It`s anybodys guess, but some interesting views here:
http://lwn.net/Articles/538211/

- apt-mark hold account

Board footer