SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#51 2013-11-06 17:32:30

xero
#! Junkie
From: 0x000000
Registered: 2013-09-30
Posts: 290
Website

Re: What System Do You Have For Naming Your Devices?

i use female names for all my stuff.
you gotta treat you "ladies" with care and respect. a little TLC goes a long way ;D

Offline

Be excellent to each other!

#52 2013-11-06 20:19:13

pvsage
Internal Affairs
From: North Carolina
Registered: 2009-10-18
Posts: 11,443

Re: What System Do You Have For Naming Your Devices?

@CSC4:  Obviously a FiM theme, but I've seen antagonist-themed wallpapers and background characters in your screenshots.  Town names like Baltimare are another possibility, as are MacGuffins, gluefics... tongue


Yes; as a matter of fact, I am a cop.  Why do you ask? cool
I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

Offline

#53 2013-11-06 21:58:44

#!_828
#! Die Hard
From: Ohio, U. S. of A.
Registered: 2013-09-19
Posts: 563

Re: What System Do You Have For Naming Your Devices?

I try to make my names sound a bit complicated, intimidating, & generally ambiguous, for security reasons. In the event someone tries to hack into any of the computers in my house, names like Mori-System, U-1028, MG5420, & Toshiba (my mom named our shared laptop) would probably throw off some neighborhood hacker with nothing better to do than break into people's machines  cool


Those who would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither
Member of the (Un)Official #! Emergency Tinfoil Hat Distribution Center
Emergency Tinfoil Hat Conky Alert System development team

Offline

#54 2013-11-07 01:32:32

Geezer
#! Junkie
From: Never Never Land
Registered: 2013-02-19
Posts: 296

Re: What System Do You Have For Naming Your Devices?

No concious system. I might use a device serial number or make one up.  monkey


There's no such thing as coffee that's too strong. cool

OHCG | Free Geek Providence | LXer

Offline

#55 2013-11-07 02:52:47

CaptainIndifferent
#! CrunchBanger
From: The Vale of Si
Registered: 2012-05-05
Posts: 191

Re: What System Do You Have For Naming Your Devices?

Fighting back a tendency to name every single one of my systems (and all of the VMs on them) SkyNet, I have started using a boring naming convention that I "borrowed" from a former employer... a three character location code followed by the last six digits of the MAC address.


Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

Offline

#56 2013-11-07 04:08:01

#!_828
#! Die Hard
From: Ohio, U. S. of A.
Registered: 2013-09-19
Posts: 563

Re: What System Do You Have For Naming Your Devices?

CaptainIndifferent wrote:

I have started using a boring naming convention that I "borrowed" from a former employer... a three character location code followed by the last six digits of the MAC address.

Well, that certainly gives your devices anonymity &, like mine, makes a decent attempt at throwing off any would-be low level neighborhood hackers


Those who would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither
Member of the (Un)Official #! Emergency Tinfoil Hat Distribution Center
Emergency Tinfoil Hat Conky Alert System development team

Offline

#57 2013-11-07 04:22:59

twoion
#! CrunchBanger
From: 日本・関東
Registered: 2012-05-11
Posts: 146

Re: What System Do You Have For Naming Your Devices?

#!_828 wrote:
CaptainIndifferent wrote:

I have started using a boring naming convention that I "borrowed" from a former employer... a three character location code followed by the last six digits of the MAC address.

Well, that certainly gives your devices anonymity &, like mine, makes a decent attempt at throwing off any would-be low level neighborhood hackers

If you are already letting the neighbour script kiddies influence your preferences in such trivial a matter as naming your devices, you should maybe read up on network defense or reevaluate your priorities :-D


Running Debian Sid & Experimental with Liquorix kernels and the Infinality libfreetype patches.

Offline

#58 2013-11-07 08:34:17

dot|not
#! Junkie
From: /dev/null
Registered: 2013-09-05
Posts: 278
Website

Re: What System Do You Have For Naming Your Devices?

I did not relaly have a naming scheme for years, but for desktops I settled for characters or creatures from the ancient Japanese mythology quite some time ago. Everything network related - network equipment, storage, servers - is more practically named.


Slothkrew | Blog | Github | Zerobin | Crunchbang Ratio: 321.00
Acer C720 | Arch Linux | Openbox

Offline

#59 2013-11-07 12:43:30

#!_828
#! Die Hard
From: Ohio, U. S. of A.
Registered: 2013-09-19
Posts: 563

Re: What System Do You Have For Naming Your Devices?

twoion wrote:
#!_828 wrote:
CaptainIndifferent wrote:

I have started using a boring naming convention that I "borrowed" from a former employer... a three character location code followed by the last six digits of the MAC address.

Well, that certainly gives your devices anonymity &, like mine, makes a decent attempt at throwing off any would-be low level neighborhood hackers

If you are already letting the neighbour script kiddies influence your preferences in such trivial a matter as naming your devices, you should maybe read up on network defense or reevaluate your priorities :-D

Well, it's not about allowing them to influence my preferences. I use a naming convention that I feel is somewhat random, yet distinctive enough that I can tell what they are. I like my system, & it also seems incomprehensible to anyone else, so I went with it from the position of security


Those who would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither
Member of the (Un)Official #! Emergency Tinfoil Hat Distribution Center
Emergency Tinfoil Hat Conky Alert System development team

Offline

#60 2013-11-07 15:26:55

bigbenaugust
#! Junkie
From: the 919
Registered: 2009-03-04
Posts: 339

Re: What System Do You Have For Naming Your Devices?

At work, we have a system and we follow it for the servers.

<abbreviation><function><number><environment>

for the workstations, it's a little different... mine is named after me (it's on Jessie), and the laptop is similar (it runs openSUSE 13.1 RC2 right now). 

At home, I use Biblical names. Currently...
- ebenezer is the Arch laptop... might get reinstalled. If I feel like it...   
- melchizedek is the openSUSE MacBookPro 1,1 that has no battery and is the current desktop.
- onesimus is the netbook (Debian stable with backports). Currently sitting in a desk drawer. 
- nicodemus is the retired Dell desktop. Currently in a box with my other computer parts.

The printer is named brother, the NAS is called blackbox, and the router is buffalo. pretty self-explanatory there.
I can't remember what my wife's MacBook Pro is called.

Last edited by bigbenaugust (2013-11-07 15:28:32)


--Ben
Debian: II   Arch: II   openSUSE: I

Offline

#61 2013-11-07 17:46:18

logs_con
#! CrunchBanger
From: Farnham Surrey
Registered: 2009-12-10
Posts: 104
Website

Re: What System Do You Have For Naming Your Devices?

No real naming convention here.

My desktop is flickerluke260

My laptop is flickerluke7

My server is tony-server

My raspberry pi ssh gateway is simply gateway

And my phone is Dr_Theopolis (A little too geeky that one)

Cheers,

T


This week's operating systems (subject to change)
LAPTOP : Crunchbang Waldorf AMD64 Openbox / openSUSE 13.1 x86_64 KDE 4.12 / Win7 64bit
DESKTOP : Crunchbang Waldorf AMD64 Openbox / openSUSE 13.1 x86_64 KDE 4.11.3 / Winvista 64bit

Offline

#62 2013-11-17 03:46:26

briar
New Member
Registered: 2013-11-12
Posts: 5

Re: What System Do You Have For Naming Your Devices?

Went through a phase where it was all Civil War battles and Confederate generals. So it was stonewall, longstreet, etc @shiloh, @antietam, @manassas. Shakespeare creeps in a lot. I think half of my usb flash drives are named mercutio.
Currently the laptop is all taken from the life and works of William S Burroughs so its lee@interzone with devices and drives named things like benway, junky, queer.

Offline

#63 2013-11-18 00:10:54

Aerdureth
New Member
Registered: 2013-11-01
Posts: 4

Re: What System Do You Have For Naming Your Devices?

I don't have a real system...I usually name my devices based on their distinctive features. My macbook for example is called Macbeth (I also have the habit of naming my orchids after Shakespeare characters...). The little fellow who runs #! now is Sharky since Samsung described the design of the NF210 as 'inspired by a shark'.

Offline

#64 2013-11-18 13:47:00

fiddler
Member
From: 3rd world country
Registered: 2013-11-18
Posts: 20
Website

Re: What System Do You Have For Naming Your Devices?

i usually name my system after ummmh female genitals in different languages ( i hope this does not infringe any of the forum rules nor do i meant it to be a blatant attack against women rights )

Last edited by fiddler (2013-11-18 13:48:02)


Guru Kencing Berdiri 2-3 Pulau Terlampaui

Offline

#65 2013-11-18 18:44:05

intoCB
Scatweasel
Registered: 2012-10-25
Posts: 1,852

Re: What System Do You Have For Naming Your Devices?

^Explain your insanity, this instant !

Actually, I'm not going to judge you. Or sit next to you on a bus  devil

Offline

#66 2013-11-18 19:53:03

logs_con
#! CrunchBanger
From: Farnham Surrey
Registered: 2009-12-10
Posts: 104
Website

Re: What System Do You Have For Naming Your Devices?

intoCB wrote:

^Explain your insanity, this instant !

Actually, I'm not going to judge you. Or sit next to you on a bus  devil

^This^

Made me laugh for much longer than it really should of.


This week's operating systems (subject to change)
LAPTOP : Crunchbang Waldorf AMD64 Openbox / openSUSE 13.1 x86_64 KDE 4.12 / Win7 64bit
DESKTOP : Crunchbang Waldorf AMD64 Openbox / openSUSE 13.1 x86_64 KDE 4.11.3 / Winvista 64bit

Offline

#67 2013-11-18 20:42:44

silince
#! CrunchBanger
Registered: 2010-07-22
Posts: 164

Re: What System Do You Have For Naming Your Devices?

My old laptop (that I use as a desktop at home) is bigdog (#! Waldorf).
The awesomely powerful work laptop is powerhound(Linux Mint XFCE).
A 'spare' work server is named swanson (#! Statler).
My mini laptop (on loan at the mo) is gravybox(#!W).
My old desktop PC is workhorse which I use as a backup server(Debian).
And my raspberry pi is err... pi(Raspbmc).
I also have a rooted Nook Simple Touch running Android.  I really don't like Android and consequently it doesn't deserve a name.

EDIT: So I don't think there's a system as such...

Last edited by silince (2013-11-18 20:44:01)


Debian Wheezy on VeryPC Low Energy Desktop | #! Waldorf Lenovo Thinkpad SL510 and Lenovo Ideapad S205 | Raspbmc on Pi | Linux Mint 16 on Lenovo W530.  Loves Bacon Butterbowl.

Offline

#68 2013-11-18 21:07:28

#!_828
#! Die Hard
From: Ohio, U. S. of A.
Registered: 2013-09-19
Posts: 563

Re: What System Do You Have For Naming Your Devices?

fiddler wrote:

i usually name my system after ummmh female genitals in different languages

Well, that's certainly . . . . uummmmnh . . . . . original?

fiddler wrote:

( i hope this does not infringe any of the forum rules nor do i meant it to be a blatant attack against women rights )

As Greg Gutfeld said, "So long as you tow the line . . . you can be a full on pig & still get a free pass." "It's actually not considered unacceptable to be bigoted, so long as you're politically correct about it."   hmm


Those who would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither
Member of the (Un)Official #! Emergency Tinfoil Hat Distribution Center
Emergency Tinfoil Hat Conky Alert System development team

Offline

#69 2013-11-18 23:23:50

fiddler
Member
From: 3rd world country
Registered: 2013-11-18
Posts: 20
Website

Re: What System Do You Have For Naming Your Devices?

intoCB wrote:

^Explain your insanity, this instant !

Actually, I'm not going to judge you. Or sit next to you on a bus  devil

actually, that's harsh man....
now i'm not going to share my little crunchbangin' digital ... (insert your favorite female genital word) with you big_smile

#!_828 wrote:
fiddler wrote:

i usually name my system after ummmh female genitals in different languages

Well, that's certainly . . . . uummmmnh . . . . . original?

fiddler wrote:

( i hope this does not infringe any of the forum rules nor do i meant it to be a blatant attack against women rights )

As Greg Gutfeld said, "So long as you tow the line . . . you can be a full on pig & still get a free pass." "It's actually not considered unacceptable to be bigoted, so long as you're politically correct about it."   hmm

it's fairly unorthodox , but it's unoriginal as in my country it's a common practice for people to call their beloved sons or daughters by their genital , rather than their actual name

it's either i'm a bit unorthodox or my whole country has gone insane , you guys decide


Guru Kencing Berdiri 2-3 Pulau Terlampaui

Offline

#70 2013-11-18 23:43:38

#!_828
#! Die Hard
From: Ohio, U. S. of A.
Registered: 2013-09-19
Posts: 563

Re: What System Do You Have For Naming Your Devices?

fiddler wrote:

it's either i'm a bit unorthodox or my whole country has gone insane , you guys decide

I think it's a bit of both. It does, however, fit the times. Not only your country, but America, Europe, China, the Middle East, hell, most of the world, it seems, has lost their minds  lol


Those who would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither
Member of the (Un)Official #! Emergency Tinfoil Hat Distribution Center
Emergency Tinfoil Hat Conky Alert System development team

Offline

#71 2013-11-18 23:45:14

anonymous
The Mystery Member
From: Arch Linux Forums
Registered: 2008-11-29
Posts: 9,359

Re: What System Do You Have For Naming Your Devices?

fiddler wrote:

it's fairly unorthodox , but it's unoriginal as in my country it's a common practice for people to call their beloved sons or daughters by their genital , rather than their actual name

So you treat your computers as if they're your children? I guess that can be related to smile


Note: ** Please read before posting **

BTW if you wish to contact me, send me an e-mail instead of a PM.

Offline

#72 2013-11-19 01:01:56

fiddler
Member
From: 3rd world country
Registered: 2013-11-18
Posts: 20
Website

Re: What System Do You Have For Naming Your Devices?

anonymous wrote:
fiddler wrote:

it's fairly unorthodox , but it's unoriginal as in my country it's a common practice for people to call their beloved sons or daughters by their genital , rather than their actual name

So you treat your computers as if they're your children? I guess that can be related to smile

lol lol
more like stepdaughters actually , hot ones

#!_828 wrote:
fiddler wrote:

it's either i'm a bit unorthodox or my whole country has gone insane , you guys decide

I think it's a bit of both. It does, however, fit the times. Not only your country, but America, Europe, China, the Middle East, hell, most of the world, it seems, has lost their minds  lol

big_smile
then i shall suggest people to name their computers like i do name mine mwahahahaha


Guru Kencing Berdiri 2-3 Pulau Terlampaui

Offline

#73 2013-11-19 02:57:51

#!_828
#! Die Hard
From: Ohio, U. S. of A.
Registered: 2013-09-19
Posts: 563

Re: What System Do You Have For Naming Your Devices?

fiddler wrote:

it's either i'm a bit unorthodox or my whole country has gone insane , you guys decide

#!_828 wrote:

I think it's a bit of both. It does, however, fit the times. Not only your country, but America, Europe, China, the Middle East, hell, most of the world, it seems, has lost their minds  lol

big_smile
then i shall suggest people to name their computers like i do name mine mwahahahaha

Or, to do something even more outrageous (or at least confusing) name them their make & model . . . . all spelled out in binary  lol


Those who would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither
Member of the (Un)Official #! Emergency Tinfoil Hat Distribution Center
Emergency Tinfoil Hat Conky Alert System development team

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB

Copyright © 2012 CrunchBang Linux.
Proudly powered by Debian. Hosted by Linode.
Debian is a registered trademark of Software in the Public Interest, Inc.

Debian Logo