SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-02 18:04:47

Resident Bot
#! Die Hard

Anyone using Notion(developed from ion3)

I have just installed it after watching a youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J5rq5ubmps

Anyone used it as I could use some help!
what is a good system tray to use with it and how would you set that up?
I was thinking of trying Stalonetray with it.

Troll = not a fanatic
slave of #!  and arch

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-01-02 18:27:32

dkeg
#! Die Hard

Re: Anyone using Notion(developed from ion3)

Hmm, that is really interesting.  It would great if you wrote up a little report with scrots on it.  From first glance I'm not sure if I would dig having the layouts 'showing' with possible empty sections.  Whereas in a say different wm you can pre-configure a layout for a specific workspace, however there won't be empty title bars if all apps aren't up and running.  Still though, very cool.  His layout was nice too.  You can do all of that in i3 though, which is what I use, and it will take a lot to pull me away from that.  And if you're into the tray thing, i3 comes with an integrated tray. 

Thanks for sharing though!  Very cool.  Looking forward to your review.

grill it | the rocky path may just be the best path

#3 2013-01-03 13:32:41

servingwater
#! Junkie

Now granted this might be lazy but the one time I considered notion I quickly lost interest because of this....

http://notion.sourceforge.net/notioncon … 0000000000

That's just too much for my lazy ass these days.  tongue
I blame i3wm for this with it's simple text config file.

While it doesn't absolutely has to be a text file, but 5 different config files?? come on!

If I am mis-reading something please forgive my ignorance.

#4 2013-01-03 15:06:36

Resident Bot
#! Die Hard

no your not mis-reading but it's more like 9 files but I expect you only mess with 2 or 3 of them most of the time. I read the docs but still didn't find a way to have a good system tray thingy so I am sticking with Awesome.

Troll = not a fanatic
slave of #!  and arch

#5 2013-01-09 19:27:18

s.hum

I always find myself returning to notion which is probably due to having settled on it when it was ion3. Tiling wm's all have their distinct personalities and require some time to grok -- much more so than mouse driven stacking wm's. Notion probably stands apart from most tiling wm's in its static frame approach which launched apps fill. I happen to like that behaviour because I utilize my screen space in such a way that I always have a set of apps active on login which are assigned to specific frames (and I like placing similar apps in the same frame). I will open other apps as required e.g. file managers, editors, etc. into frames of my choice which automatically creates a visible tab for that frame. On occaison I will split the frame so the app doesn't overlap the current app or open a new workspace but more often than not, I just open the app in an adjacent frame if i need 2 views visible -- and its always easy enough to drag or tag move a tab to another frame. I happen to like that predictable visual behavior vs having the screen real estate dynamically managed by the wm.

Notion easily allows you to label frames (to attach apps to) which, combined with its easy frame sizing and automatic state saving on exit, allows me to create exactly what I want without too much fuss actually. Yes, notion has a bunch a lua scripts you "can" tinker with but it works -- you don't have a massive global config and you are unlikely to change that much anyway. Plus you are really scripting notion's behavior vs straigt attribute configuration -- a subtle difference which allows configuring launch dependencies.

Every now and then I check out the other tiling wm's. But I find I am always trying to make them largely behave like notion because that is how I use a tiling wm. I am certain you can probably make most do the same. For me, familiarity with Lua made notion the easiest to customize (plus, I like how I can customize the appearance of it to have my look :-)

S

#6 2013-01-09 20:55:14

Resident Bot
#! Die Hard

Yes from the video it looks to be unique but as I couldnt figure out how to add a system tray in a bar I have up! I settled on i3
I wonder why some of these window manager make it so that you have to configure a bar etc. It is much easier to disable stuff that is already configured. I mean it would be much easier to Comment out a few lines of code that added a bar than to know where to put the code and what code to make a bar.

Last edited by Resident Bot (2013-01-09 20:57:43)

Troll = not a fanatic
slave of #!  and arch

#7 2013-01-09 22:05:14

PackRat
#! Die Hard

Looks like you need to add:

systray = true,

to the cfg_statusbar.lua file.

Read through Section 3.6 for details.

There appears to be a template you can use.

"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce tribe

#8 2013-01-09 22:48:11

joek
#! Junkie

I have tried notion in the past, I really have. I just can't grok it though, whatever I do. I can use i3, and spectrwm/dwm/xmonad, but notion I just never could get.
Perhaps I just need to spend more time on it...

#9 2013-01-10 09:20:02

Resident Bot
#! Die Hard

@PackRat
Thanks for the tip, will try it out when I get back from a trip to visit family

Troll = not a fanatic
slave of #!  and arch

#10 2013-10-31 11:33:59

Laudan
#! CrunchBanger

Is there any good tutorial on Notion?

#11 2013-10-31 14:50:40

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

Laudan wrote:

Is there any good tutorial on Notion?

http://notion.sourceforge.net/
http://notion.sourceforge.net/#documentation
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/n … title=Tour

I found these with a google search for "notion documentation"

Last edited by porkpiehat (2013-10-31 14:52:00)

I love mankind; it's people I can't stand. -- Linus van Pelt

Board footer