SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-24 18:53:39

asportking

Trouble with making Terminator partially transparent

Hi! I'm trying to configure Terminator to be partially transparent; however, I'm having a bit of a problem. As you can see in the screenshot, I keep getting these weird white bars on the right and left sides of the terminal. From what I can tell, it looks like it's fully transparent along those two bars, and then "fades" into the desired partial transparency towards the center. How can I fix this? Here's my config file:

[global_config]
  title_transmit_bg_color = "#000000"
  title_inactive_bg_color = "#000000"
[keybindings]
  hide_window = <Shift><Control>a
[profiles]
  [[default]]
    scrollbar_position = hidden
    palette = "#000000:#cc0000:#4e9a06:#c4a000:#3465a4:#75507b:#06989a:#d3d7cf:#555753:#ef2929:#8ae234:#fce94f:#729fcf:#ad7fa8:#34e2e2:#eeeeec"
    background_darkness = 0.25
    scrollback_lines = 5000
    background_type = transparent
    use_system_font = False
    cursor_color = "#d8d8d8"
    foreground_color = "#d8d8d8"
    scroll_on_output = False
    show_titlebar = False
    color_scheme = custom
    font = Monospace 10
    background_color = "#2e3436"
[layouts]
  [[default]]
    [[[child1]]]
      type = Terminal
      parent = window0
    [[[window0]]]
      type = Window
      parent = ""
[plugins]

Last edited by asportking (2013-10-24 23:39:37)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-10-25 15:19:39

Beepmode

Re: Trouble with making Terminator partially transparent

Looks like the vertical fades become an issue when you change background_darkness to a very low (transparent) value. If you set it to 10 the effect is very visable (and annoying). At 60 it's just about still visable. I don't think there's anything wrong with your config file.

The default value is 83. For me, that's about as much transparency as I can cope with.

#3 2013-10-25 15:28:33

asportking

Beepmode wrote:

Looks like the vertical fades become an issue when you change background_darkness to a very low (transparent) value. If you set it to 10 the effect is very visable (and annoying). At 60 it's just about still visable. I don't think there's anything wrong with your config file.

The default value is 83. For me, that's about as much transparency as I can cope with.

It makes the vertical fades become less noticeable, but they're still definitely there. Is there any way to just get rid of it completely? One thing I noticed is that the mysterious white bar at the bottom (still haven't figured out what's up with it) is about where the transparency problem stops.

#4 2013-10-25 15:43:41

VDP76
#! Bean Roaster

does disabling compositing make any difference!?

#!#!#! Forum etiquette #!#!#!
Are you a new member!? Have you introduced yourself?!
CLI basics | LVM | smxi | chrooting | multiarch

#5 2013-10-25 16:32:05

Beepmode

VDP76 wrote:

That removes the transparency entirely.

I tried changing / disabling / enabling lots of Compton settings but it didn't make any difference (for possible tweaks, see the Arch Wiki). I've also tried using some other compton.conf files I found on these forums; they all show the same behaviour.

asportking wrote:

One thing I noticed is that the mysterious white bar at the bottom (still haven't figured out what's up with it) is about where the transparency problem stops.

That bar is part of the normal window decoration. If you'd pick a different theme from the Openbox Configuration Manager you'll see the bar will be coloured in differently. You did give me a thought though: the fade appears where the scroll bar would normally live (i.e. if scrollbar_position would set to either 'left' or 'right' in terminator's config file). Maybe that has got something to do with it??

#6 2013-10-25 18:28:20

asportking

Beepmode wrote:
VDP76 wrote:

That removes the transparency entirely.

I tried changing / disabling / enabling lots of Compton settings but it didn't make any difference (for possible tweaks, see the Arch Wiki). I've also tried using some other compton.conf files I found on these forums; they all show the same behaviour.

asportking wrote:

One thing I noticed is that the mysterious white bar at the bottom (still haven't figured out what's up with it) is about where the transparency problem stops.

That bar is part of the normal window decoration. If you'd pick a different theme from the Openbox Configuration Manager you'll see the bar will be coloured in differently. You did give me a thought though: the fade appears where the scroll bar would normally live (i.e. if scrollbar_position would set to either 'left' or 'right' in terminator's config file). Maybe that has got something to do with it??

Possibly, although I changed scrollbar_position to disabled, rather than hidden, and it didn't do any good.

On a side note, I used this guide to get a terminal to open up on my desktop. However, on startup, the terminal is completely solid. Opening up terminator regularly get's me the transparency shown in my original screenshot, but with this, I get a solid color. If I right click on the terminal and go to preferences, it says it should be transparent; however, it's clearly not the case.

#7 2013-10-25 20:40:18

damo
#! gimpbanger

I can manually change window transparency on the fly using keybinds. Maybe you can use transset when you start the terminal to set transparency?

FYI here are the stanzas from my rc.xml

<!--Keybindings for window transparency -->
    <keybind key="W-equal">
      <action name="Execute">
        <command>transset-df -p --inc 0.1</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>
    <keybind key="W-minus">
      <action name="Execute">
        <command>transset-df -p --dec 0.1</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>

EDIT

After looking more closely at my terminal windows, trying your config and others, setting transparency on launch via a script with transset.....I have decided that it must be due to the compositor sad

The effect you describe is around the whole edge of the window, and is much more noticeable without window decorations and scrollbar, especially with a light background.

But I never noticed until just now so I dare say I'll live with it... smile

Artwork at deviantArt;  Iceweasel Personas;  SLiM #! Themes;  Openbox themes

#8 2013-10-26 02:09:03

Koala3
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Do you want transparency to the window under the terminal or through everything and show the desktop wallpaper even when there are things between?
If you want the latter I can post my config, with the former I also have a weird lines. hmm

"Why isn't it possible to choke you with your own incompetence?" -Hello Chutulu ^.^
"I will be too busy laughing because of the faces people make, instead of wondering why it's raining dead babies." -Awebb

#9 2013-10-26 13:42:00

asportking

Koala3 wrote:

Do you want transparency to the window under the terminal or through everything and show the desktop wallpaper even when there are things between?
If you want the latter I can post my config, with the former I also have a weird lines. hmm

The latter would work fine; I'm mainly aiming to have the terminal permanently open on my desktop, so there wouldn't really be a difference.

#10 2013-10-26 15:50:08

photonucleon
Quantum Geek

To me it looks like not so much light areas at the edges, but a dark area in the centre... perhaps what you're seeing here is just the shadow of the terminal window through the transparency? i.e. the terminal window's shadow, despite the window being transparent, still appears, creating a 'darkening' in the centre of your terminal window? Just a thought...

-A CrunchBanger's blog-

"At this moment," said Syme, with a scientific detachment, "I think we are going to smash into a lamppost.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Man Who Was Thursday

#11 2013-10-26 16:16:15

damo
#! gimpbanger

photonucleon wrote:

To me it looks like not so much light areas at the edges, but a dark area in the centre... perhaps what you're seeing here is just the shadow of the terminal window through the transparency? i.e. the terminal window's shadow, despite the window being transparent, still appears, creating a 'darkening' in the centre of your terminal window? Just a thought...

Just tried turning off compositing - no shadows, and terminal doesn't show those artifacts round the edge

#12 2013-10-26 17:44:47

photonucleon
Quantum Geek

damo wrote:
photonucleon wrote:

Just tried turning off compositing - no shadows, and terminal doesn't show those artifacts round the edge

If you want to keep compositing, but lose the shadow, you could always disable shadows by going Openbox Menu > Settings > Compositor > Edit Compositing Settings and changing the second line to

shadow = false;

-A CrunchBanger's blog-

"At this moment," said Syme, with a scientific detachment, "I think we are going to smash into a lamppost.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Man Who Was Thursday

#13 2013-10-26 17:54:37

damo
#! gimpbanger

There is also a shadow-exclude option, which looks like a per-application setting, although I haven't investigated it yet

#14 2013-10-26 19:31:12

damo
#! gimpbanger

damo wrote:

There is also a shadow-exclude option, which looks like a per-application setting, although I haven't investigated it yet

Now I have wink

The syntax in compton.conf is a bit tricky, but I found a good explanation here

--shadow-exclude and --focus-exclude uses a condition string to blacklist certain windows. The format of the condition string is:

condition = TARGET:TYPE[FLAGS]:PATTERN

TARGET is one of "n" (window name), "i" (window class instance), "g" (window general class), and "r" (window role).

TYPE is one of "e" (exact match), "a" (match anywhere), "s" (match from start), "w" (wildcard), and "p" (PCRE regular expressions, if compiled with the support).

FLAGS could be a series of flags. Currently the only defined flag is "i" (ignore case).

PATTERN is the actual pattern string.

So for a terminator window, get the window name with xprop, in my case

WM_NAME(STRING) = "damo@crunchbang2: ~"

In .config/compton.conf uncomment and add to the shadow-exclude line:

shadow-exclude = [ "n:e:Notification", "n:e:damo@crunchbang2: ~"];

Voila - terminator windows with transparency and no shadows. And no dodgy shading artifacts smile

#15 2013-10-27 19:49:40

asportking

damo wrote:
damo wrote:

Now I have wink

The syntax in compton.conf is a bit tricky, but I found a good explanation here

--shadow-exclude and --focus-exclude uses a condition string to blacklist certain windows. The format of the condition string is:

TARGET is one of "n" (window name), "i" (window class instance), "g" (window general class), and "r" (window role).

TYPE is one of "e" (exact match), "a" (match anywhere), "s" (match from start), "w" (wildcard), and "p" (PCRE regular expressions, if compiled with the support).

FLAGS could be a series of flags. Currently the only defined flag is "i" (ignore case).

PATTERN is the actual pattern string.

So for a terminator window, get the window name with xprop, in my case

WM_NAME(STRING) = "damo@crunchbang2: ~"

In .config/compton.conf uncomment and add to the shadow-exclude line:

shadow-exclude = [ "n:e:Notification", "n:e:damo@crunchbang2: ~"];

Voila - terminator windows with transparency and no shadows. And no dodgy shading artifacts smile

Ah, thank you!

#16 2013-10-27 23:43:53

Koala3
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Sorry, forgot to sub to the thread so I could get to reply quicker.
It only works with no Compositing, not sure how to make it default to maximized when open.

[global_config]
  title_transmit_bg_color = "#000000"
  title_inactive_bg_color = "#000000"
[keybindings]
  hide_window = <Shift><Control>a
[profiles]
  [[default]]
    scrollbar_position = hidden
    palette = "#000000:#cc0000:#4e9a06:#c4a000:#3465a4:#75507b:#06989a:#d3d7cf:#555753:#ef2929:#8ae234:#fce94f:#729fcf:#ad7fa8:#34e2e2:#eeeeec"
    background_darkness = 0.50
    scrollback_lines = 5000
    use_system_font = False
    cursor_color = "#d8d8d8"
    foreground_color = "#d8d8d8"
    scroll_on_output = False
    show_titlebar = False
    color_scheme = custom
    font = Monospace 10
    background_color = "#2e3436"
    scrollback_infinite = True
[layouts]
  [[default]]
    [[[child1]]]
      type = Terminal
      parent = window0
    [[[window0]]]
      type = Window
      parent = ""
[plugins]

"Why isn't it possible to choke you with your own incompetence?" -Hello Chutulu ^.^
"I will be too busy laughing because of the faces people make, instead of wondering why it's raining dead babies." -Awebb

#17 2013-10-28 00:52:06

damo
#! gimpbanger

Koala3 wrote:

It only works with no Compositing, not sure how to make it default to maximized when open.

I don't know if this is what you want, but someone may find it useful smile ....

Create a new terminator profile with the defaults you want, and a new layout and size it according to the window positions you want. My setup has a profile called "Desktop" with a profile called "split" ie 2 panes side by side. In .config/terminator/config

[profiles]
  [[Desktop]]
    icon_bell = False
    background_image = None
    show_titlebar = False
[layouts]
  [[split]]
    [[[child0]]]
      position = 0:0
      type = Window
      order = 0
      parent = ""
      size = 1920, 1051
    [[[child1]]]
      position = 960
      type = HPaned
      order = 0
      parent = child0

I don't need to disable compositing for this, but I do want it to open when openbox starts, so I need a command in autostart. I also want it to run with the --shadow-exclude option and a (nearly) full-screen layout, leaving enough for the tint2.
I also want it to start on desktop 4, but only on start up, so I need to fool OBApps(Application Settings Editor) by creating a symlink to terminator ie

ln -s /usr/bin/terminator bin/terminator-desktop

Then in OBApps add a new name "terminator-desktop" and set the configuration you want ( - in my case with no decoration, bottom layer, desktop 4). In autostart I've added

# start 2-pane terminator desktop
(sleep 1s && terminator-desktop -p Desktop -b -m  --layout=split --geometry=1920x1060x0x-16) &

Adjust dimensions to suit..

I posted a scrot of mine here

#18 2013-10-28 14:47:57

asportking

damo wrote:
Koala3 wrote:

I don't know if this is what you want, but someone may find it useful smile ....

Create a new terminator profile with the defaults you want, and a new layout and size it according to the window positions you want. My setup has a profile called "Desktop" with a profile called "split" ie 2 panes side by side. In .config/terminator/config

[profiles]
  [[Desktop]]
    icon_bell = False
    background_image = None
    show_titlebar = False
[layouts]
  [[split]]
    [[[child0]]]
      position = 0:0
      type = Window
      order = 0
      parent = ""
      size = 1920, 1051
    [[[child1]]]
      position = 960
      type = HPaned
      order = 0
      parent = child0

I don't need to disable compositing for this, but I do want it to open when openbox starts, so I need a command in autostart. I also want it to run with the --shadow-exclude option and a (nearly) full-screen layout, leaving enough for the tint2.
I also want it to start on desktop 4, but only on start up, so I need to fool OBApps(Application Settings Editor) by creating a symlink to terminator ie

ln -s /usr/bin/terminator bin/terminator-desktop

Then in OBApps add a new name "terminator-desktop" and set the configuration you want ( - in my case with no decoration, bottom layer, desktop 4). In autostart I've added

# start 2-pane terminator desktop
(sleep 1s && terminator-desktop -p Desktop -b -m  --layout=split --geometry=1920x1060x0x-16) &

Adjust dimensions to suit..

I posted a scrot of mine here

I'm still having no luck with the transparency. It starts up fine, and the profile says "Desktop," but it's not transparent. However, if I open up other terminals, the profile still says "Desktop," except it works fine.

#19 2013-10-28 17:49:56

damo
#! gimpbanger

Did you set the background_type = transparent in the terminator profile, and add the shadow-exclude option to compton.conf?

If so, then I probably don't know any more to help!

#20 2013-10-28 18:26:02

asportking

damo wrote:

Did you set the background_type = transparent in the terminator profile, and add the shadow-exclude option to compton.conf?

If so, then I probably don't know any more to help!

I think I added the shadow-exclude option right. I didn't quite understand that part about the xprop though. Is that step necessary?

#21 2013-10-28 20:55:36

damo
#! gimpbanger

asportking wrote:

I think .... I didn't quite understand that part about the xprop though. Is that step necessary?

It is if you want to have a transparent window without the shadow artifacts: the shadow-exclude option in compton.conf requires the name of the application window to apply it to. My default conf had this line

#shadow-exclude = [ "n:e:xfce4-notifyd"]

and I wanted to add terminator to it, so that all terminator windows would have transparency, but no shadows

shadow-exclude needs a condition in the format

The examples I found used "n" (TARGET="window name"); "e" (exact match); string pattern

The  xprop  utility  is  for  displaying  window and font properties in an X server. Open a terminal, run xprop (the cursor changes to a cross), then click in the terminal window. I get the following:

_NET_WM_SYNC_REQUEST_COUNTER(CARDINAL) = 48234502
_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_NORMAL
_NET_WM_USER_TIME(CARDINAL) = 1628091
_NET_WM_USER_TIME_WINDOW(WINDOW): window id # 0x2e00005
WM_CLIENT_LEADER(WINDOW): window id # 0x2e00001
_NET_WM_PID(CARDINAL) = 8486
WM_LOCALE_NAME(STRING) = "en_GB.UTF-8"
WM_CLIENT_MACHINE(STRING) = "crunchbang"
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
		program specified resize increment: 8 by 15
		program specified base size: 24 by 2
		window gravity: NorthWest
WM_PROTOCOLS(ATOM): protocols  WM_DELETE_WINDOW, WM_TAKE_FOCUS, _NET_WM_PING, _NET_WM_SYNC_REQUEST
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "terminator", "Terminator"
WM_ICON_NAME(STRING) = "damo@crunchbang: ~"
_NET_WM_ICON_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = "damo@crunchbang: ~"
WM_NAME(STRING) = "damo@crunchbang: ~"
_NET_WM_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = "damo@crunchbang: ~"

I used the WM_NAME(STRING) value, and changed the compton.conf line to 

shadow-exclude = [ "n:e:xfce4-notifyd", "n:e:damo@crunchbang: ~" ];

(You could presumably also use other values, for example "i"(window class instance) ie WM_CLASS(STRING) = "terminator", though I haven't tried them.)

Now the compositor knows to blacklist any window with this name from having shadows, and when I run

terminator -p Desktop -b -m  --layout=split --geometry=1920x1060x0x-16

the terminal will start with the "Desktop" profile (with associated window settings inc the transparency I have set); the "split" layout I made; the window position and size desired; and no shadows.

Apologies in advance if you already know some of this. Maybe I should write it all up as a HowTo?

#22 2013-10-29 14:58:25

asportking

damo wrote:
asportking wrote:

I think .... I didn't quite understand that part about the xprop though. Is that step necessary?

It is if you want to have a transparent window without the shadow artifacts: the shadow-exclude option in compton.conf requires the name of the application window to apply it to. My default conf had this line

#shadow-exclude = [ "n:e:xfce4-notifyd"]

and I wanted to add terminator to it, so that all terminator windows would have transparency, but no shadows

shadow-exclude needs a condition in the format

The examples I found used "n" (TARGET="window name"); "e" (exact match); string pattern

The  xprop  utility  is  for  displaying  window and font properties in an X server. Open a terminal, run xprop (the cursor changes to a cross), then click in the terminal window. I get the following:

_NET_WM_SYNC_REQUEST_COUNTER(CARDINAL) = 48234502
_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_NORMAL
_NET_WM_USER_TIME(CARDINAL) = 1628091
_NET_WM_USER_TIME_WINDOW(WINDOW): window id # 0x2e00005
WM_CLIENT_LEADER(WINDOW): window id # 0x2e00001
_NET_WM_PID(CARDINAL) = 8486
WM_LOCALE_NAME(STRING) = "en_GB.UTF-8"
WM_CLIENT_MACHINE(STRING) = "crunchbang"
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
		program specified resize increment: 8 by 15
		program specified base size: 24 by 2
		window gravity: NorthWest
WM_PROTOCOLS(ATOM): protocols  WM_DELETE_WINDOW, WM_TAKE_FOCUS, _NET_WM_PING, _NET_WM_SYNC_REQUEST
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "terminator", "Terminator"
WM_ICON_NAME(STRING) = "damo@crunchbang: ~"
_NET_WM_ICON_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = "damo@crunchbang: ~"
WM_NAME(STRING) = "damo@crunchbang: ~"
_NET_WM_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = "damo@crunchbang: ~"

I used the WM_NAME(STRING) value, and changed the compton.conf line to 

shadow-exclude = [ "n:e:xfce4-notifyd", "n:e:damo@crunchbang: ~" ];

(You could presumably also use other values, for example "i"(window class instance) ie WM_CLASS(STRING) = "terminator", though I haven't tried them.)

Now the compositor knows to blacklist any window with this name from having shadows, and when I run

terminator -p Desktop -b -m  --layout=split --geometry=1920x1060x0x-16

the terminal will start with the "Desktop" profile (with associated window settings inc the transparency I have set); the "split" layout I made; the window position and size desired; and no shadows.

Apologies in advance if you already know some of this. Maybe I should write it all up as a HowTo?

Ah, thank you, that makes more sense. Still having no luck with the transparency though. The fact that it's only a problem with the terminator desktop might have something to do with it.

Board footer