SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-23 16:07:58

Tobu
Member
Registered: 2013-10-23
Posts: 19

Crunchbang 11 Waldorf installation issues

Hello. I wanted to install this awesome distro on my laptop but because it is awful and wont let me boot the installer off a CD/DVD or a USB I had to improvise. So what I decided to do was to install it using this guide:
http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Linux-wi … UNetBootIn
At first it went well, I got into the Crunchbang installer but at the fourth step it wants to detect and mount a CD-ROM. Needless to say that I am not installing from a CD in the first place. I have installed Crunchbang on my desktop computer and when installing from a USB I actually got the same error, so back then I just wrote the .iso onto a CD and it worked. Can't do it now though.
Currently the my laptop has Mint on it.
I really hope someone can help me.

Offline

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-10-23 16:45:11

cup_of_squirrel
#! CrunchBanger
From: New York City
Registered: 2013-08-29
Posts: 134

Re: Crunchbang 11 Waldorf installation issues

Hello there.

What is the laptop model? Does that laptop have UEFI? Usually newer laptops (anything >2012) would have it. To check, go into you BIOS and look for entry that is called something like "Boot Mode". If you do have UEFI, look into this thread.

In any case, make sure that USB is 1st in boot order in your BIOS. Also, don't use unetbootin. Use dd from the command line, follow this tutorial from download page.

One more thing, #! repo server is currently under a DDoS attack. So after installing you might want check out this thread. EDIT: The repos are back online at this point.

Last edited by cup_of_squirrel (2013-10-23 21:45:00)

Offline

#3 2013-10-23 17:03:05

Tobu
Member
Registered: 2013-10-23
Posts: 19

Re: Crunchbang 11 Waldorf installation issues

The laptop is a Lenovo B575e. I have been all over my BIOS and all through every setting. I have installed numerous distros and failed to install some aswell, regardless of the settings. Sometimes it just fails to boot, giving no errors, just not booting the USB with the distro on it. I have an option to select UEFI or Legacy or Both (then setting up boot priority) and I've also got CSM support.  It is a 64 bit computer but with only 4 gb of ram so I have also tried to install  some 32 bit distros, none of which have booted, again, regardless of the settings. So yeah, I'm pretty much running out of options here, which is why I tried to install Crunchbang without actually booting any USB or CD/DVD. Hope this clarified my problem abit

Offline

#4 2013-10-23 17:32:32

cup_of_squirrel
#! CrunchBanger
From: New York City
Registered: 2013-08-29
Posts: 134

Re: Crunchbang 11 Waldorf installation issues

Stick to Legacy in your BIOS.

You mentioned you have Mint running on your laptop... Or is nothing at all booting? It could be the bootloader or GRUB installed by Mint that is interfering with booting of other distros.

Offline

#5 2013-10-23 17:37:23

Tobu
Member
Registered: 2013-10-23
Posts: 19

Re: Crunchbang 11 Waldorf installation issues

Thanks for the suggestions, I will wipe the hard drive and try again.

Offline

#6 2013-10-25 08:40:12

Tobu
Member
Registered: 2013-10-23
Posts: 19

Re: Crunchbang 11 Waldorf installation issues

I wiped the hard drive and tried again, the liveUSB just will not boot. It will not even initiate the boot. If I go to the boot menu and select the USB HDD that I have #! on, the screen will simply go black for a moment, then return to the same screen. At this point I should mention that my main workstation is a Windows. I tried making the USB with both Universal-USB-Installer and unetbootin, neither of which worked. I tried both 64 and 32 bit .isos. I tried both Legacy and UEFI. I really don't know what to do anymore.

Offline

#7 2013-10-25 09:54:44

benginm
#! Junkie
From: Underneath!
Registered: 2012-11-11
Posts: 488

Re: Crunchbang 11 Waldorf installation issues

have you reformat the USB! try as a fat32, or exfat  with the " Master Boot Record" option , then use the dd method!

Offline

#8 2013-10-25 12:33:31

Tobu
Member
Registered: 2013-10-23
Posts: 19

Re: Crunchbang 11 Waldorf installation issues

Just to clarify once again... at this moment I do not have an available linux system, because I wiped the hard drive. I only have access to a Windows computer. All this time I have been trying with a fat32 formatted USB.

Offline

#9 2013-10-25 12:48:44

kozimodo
#! Member
From: Baltimore, MD
Registered: 2008-11-30
Posts: 70

Re: Crunchbang 11 Waldorf installation issues

I believe that unetbootin may be where you are going wrong.  Instead create your live USB using "sudo dd if=filename.iso of=/dev/usbdevice bs=4M; sync"

Offline

#10 2013-10-25 13:33:13

Tobu
Member
Registered: 2013-10-23
Posts: 19

Re: Crunchbang 11 Waldorf installation issues

For the third time, I only have access to a Windows computer. Mind you, I used BOTH Universal-USB-Installer AND unetbootin and NEITHER worked. Also, the SAME distros on my desktop computer boot fine from the SAME USB that fails on my laptop. I was, by the way, able to boot a Fedora live USB, created with Universal-USB-Installer, on the laptop for some odd reason, so because I have free time available right now, I will attempt to install Fedora, then use that to create the live USB with dd.

Offline

#11 2013-10-25 14:06:56

kozimodo
#! Member
From: Baltimore, MD
Registered: 2008-11-30
Posts: 70

Re: Crunchbang 11 Waldorf installation issues

Offline

#12 2013-10-26 10:24:37

benginm
#! Junkie
From: Underneath!
Registered: 2012-11-11
Posts: 488

Re: Crunchbang 11 Waldorf installation issues

Tobu wrote:

For the third time, I only have access to a Windows computer. Mind you, I used BOTH Universal-USB-Installer AND unetbootin and NEITHER worked. Also, the SAME distros on my desktop computer boot fine from the SAME USB that fails on my laptop. I was, by the way, able to boot a Fedora live USB, created with Universal-USB-Installer, on the laptop for some odd reason, so because I have free time available right now, I will attempt to install Fedora, then use that to create the live USB with dd.

did Md5sum check the iso image hashes ! it could be a corrupted image.

# http://crunchbang.org/download

Offline

#13 2013-10-26 12:30:03

Tobu
Member
Registered: 2013-10-23
Posts: 19

Re: Crunchbang 11 Waldorf installation issues

Did not work.
Also checked MD5, was correct. Redownloaded and tried creating a liveUSB on Fedora like

kozimodo wrote:

I believe that unetbootin may be where you are going wrong.  Instead create your live USB using "sudo dd if=filename.iso of=/dev/usbdevice bs=4M; sync"

suggested, did not work either. Starting to lose hope here. Is there really no feasible way to install a distro on a computer that already has an OS on it (Fedora at this moment) without first having to boot some sort of a device? The exaple that I brought worked fine, I might say, up to the point where it asked me for a CD, which by the way ALSO happened, when I tried to install crunchbang on my desktop computer via A BOOTABLE USB. So if I do, in some magical way get this USB booted on my laptop, there is still a very good chance that the installer will ask me why there isn't a CD in the drive.

Last edited by Tobu (2013-10-26 12:44:31)

Offline

#14 2013-10-26 12:54:53

photonucleon
Quantum Geek
From: Hogwarts
Registered: 2013-06-10
Posts: 864

Re: Crunchbang 11 Waldorf installation issues

Tobu wrote:

I wiped the hard drive and tried again, the liveUSB just will not boot. It will not even initiate the boot. If I go to the boot menu and select the USB HDD that I have #! on, the screen will simply go black for a moment, then return to the same screen. At this point I should mention that my main workstation is a Windows. I tried making the USB with both Universal-USB-Installer and unetbootin, neither of which worked. I tried both 64 and 32 bit .isos. I tried both Legacy and UEFI. I really don't know what to do anymore.

Not sure if it's the same problem, but I had a problem with pretty much exactly the same symptoms, and using the non-PAE iso ("for older PCs") made it work.
Also I just noticed that you said you were using a USB HDD - is this a flash drive or an external hard disk? Only I read somewhere that you're not supposed to boot from some external hard disks (flash drives, on the other hand, should be fine.)


-I made some music!- -A CrunchBanger's blog- -Enable boot from USB on older computers-
“We are, with a delicate machete, carving out a new path” - Steven Sharp Nelson

Offline

#15 2013-10-26 12:58:10

photonucleon
Quantum Geek
From: Hogwarts
Registered: 2013-06-10
Posts: 864

Re: Crunchbang 11 Waldorf installation issues

Also, in terms of it asking for a CD, does this thread help? http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=19316

Last edited by photonucleon (2013-10-26 12:58:26)


-I made some music!- -A CrunchBanger's blog- -Enable boot from USB on older computers-
“We are, with a delicate machete, carving out a new path” - Steven Sharp Nelson

Offline

#16 2013-10-26 13:04:55

Tobu
Member
Registered: 2013-10-23
Posts: 19

Re: Crunchbang 11 Waldorf installation issues

photonucleon wrote:
Tobu wrote:

I wiped the hard drive and tried again, the liveUSB just will not boot. It will not even initiate the boot. If I go to the boot menu and select the USB HDD that I have #! on, the screen will simply go black for a moment, then return to the same screen. At this point I should mention that my main workstation is a Windows. I tried making the USB with both Universal-USB-Installer and unetbootin, neither of which worked. I tried both 64 and 32 bit .isos. I tried both Legacy and UEFI. I really don't know what to do anymore.

Not sure if it's the same problem, but I had a problem with pretty much exactly the same symptoms, and using the non-PAE iso ("for older PCs") made it work.
Also I just noticed that you said you were using a USB HDD - is this a flash drive or an external hard disk? Only I read somewhere that you're not supposed to boot from some external hard disks (flash drives, on the other hand, should be fine.)

Pardon me, it is indeed a flash drive but my computer calls it a "USB HDD" for some reason. Thank you for the suggestion though, I will attempt to boot the non-PAE .iso

photonucleon wrote:

Also, in terms of it asking for a CD, does this thread help? http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=19316

It is the same problem but I'm not really that tech savvy to fully comprehend what the OP is talking about. I'll focus on that problem once I actually get this USB booted.

Last edited by Tobu (2013-10-26 13:06:54)

Offline

#17 2013-10-26 15:30:18

photonucleon
Quantum Geek
From: Hogwarts
Registered: 2013-06-10
Posts: 864

Re: Crunchbang 11 Waldorf installation issues

Good luck smile


-I made some music!- -A CrunchBanger's blog- -Enable boot from USB on older computers-
“We are, with a delicate machete, carving out a new path” - Steven Sharp Nelson

Offline

#18 2013-10-26 19:23:47

zubcho81
#! CrunchBanger
From: Sofia, Bulgaria
Registered: 2012-08-12
Posts: 197

Re: Crunchbang 11 Waldorf installation issues

I think your image file (iso) is corrupted. Download it via torrent client and check it for consistency, before making the bootable usb. 2 days ago I've reinstalled my system, and everything was smooth and clean, with the 32 bit install iso. Do not use the non-pae version. It will be the same as the pae version. The difference is only the kernel that it is using. Your CPU will be not recognized as 3 or 4 cores if you use non-pae version. It will be recognized as single core CPU. This is not good at all smile

Last edited by zubcho81 (2013-10-26 19:25:29)


Dried frog pills
As their name suggests, these are pills made chiefly from frogs, specifically the extremely poisonous ones that live in the vivarium at Unseen University and handled by the first-year students, so that if they kill one of them, not too much education has been wasted.

I use them daily! tongue

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB

Copyright © 2012 CrunchBang Linux.
Proudly powered by Debian. Hosted by Linode.
Debian is a registered trademark of Software in the Public Interest, Inc.

Debian Logo