SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-29 06:13:58

ghoti
#! Member

[How to] Install the board game Risk on crunchbang.

Risk is one of my favourite board game, but unfortunately is not available in the Ubuntu repositories. Fortunately, the forum administrator of the linux-hardcore.com is a big fan of this board game and posted a link to install Risk on Debian Lenny in this POST. Unfortunately, some details were lacking on the steps we need to follow to install Risk. In addition, a new version of Risk has been released on Freshmeat.

To install Risk, first make sure that you have installed Java (1.4 or higher). I can't remember if it is installed by default in #!, so in case you don't have Java, open a terminal and type:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre

Then, download the latest version of Risk (as of December 2008) HERE.

You have two options to install this jar file:

Option A: Open Thunar and go in the directory where you downloaded the Risk_install_1.0.9.8.jar file. Left click on this file, and select Open with “Sun Jave 6 Runtime” and follow the instructions on the screen. I won't go through them, as they are self-explanatory, but suffice to say that you need to choose the language you want to use, the location where you want to install it, and the components that you want to install.

Option B: Open a terminal (my preferred option):

cd /path/to/where/you/downloaded/Risk_install_1.0.9.8.jar
sudo java -jar Risk_install_1.0.9.8.jar

And follow the instructions on the screen.

By default, the Risk directory will be installed on your home directory. So, if you haven't installed Risk on a different directory, the command to start Risk is simply:

~/Risk/run.sh

You can manually add an entry to the Openbox menu to look like this (I only have one game on this laptop):

<menu id="games" label="Games">
            <item label="Risk">
                <action name="Execute">
                    <execute>
                        ~/Risk/run.sh
                    </execute>
                </action>
            </item>
        </menu>

A menu item should be added automatically if you use Pipe Menus as per this POST (Note: I have yet to try this pipe menu script). Similarly, a menu item should be automatically added to the lxpanel menu under 'Development'.

Additional Note: When I used Option B on my Dreamlinux partition, it installed Risk in /usr/local/Risk by default. So make sure you pay attention as to where the run.sh file is installed. And I tested the revised procedure on a the liveCD of #!.

Have fun!
Ghoti cool

Edit: I edited the original post based on a mistake that greenguru spotted.

Last edited by ghoti (2008-12-30 02:52:06)

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

Thomas A. Edison

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2008-12-29 07:41:57

corenominal
WRONG
Website

Re: [How to] Install the board game Risk on crunchbang.

Whoa, Risk. I used to love a good game of Risk and have wasted many hours of my life to it. Thank you for posting this, I am going to check it out as soon as I get home from work. Good stuff!

P.S. I hope Trouble'n'strife does not see this, she can be a real megalomaniac when it comes to these games. big_smile

#3 2008-12-29 14:06:58

kimme
Website

Thanks for info on this  game.

Kimme Utsi My Blog

#4 2008-12-29 17:38:16

bobobex
The Better Half

Mwah ha ha ha ha ha ..... too late, I've seen it!

Thanks ghoti for posting this, I'll be testing it out later when corenominal gets home.  Now that he's got an Eee Pc to play with I need something to keep me occupied smile

Politeness, Respect, Trust, Humility - forum etiquette I abide by!
twitter

#! forum moderator

#5 2008-12-29 18:05:08

greenguru
#! Member

Good post. Thanks.

Whilst I am sure that we can all work it out anyway I would like to add the following:

1.  the first command should be    sudo apt-get update

2. Java should already be installed.

3.  the link takes you to the Risk clone 'Domination'.  You would need to replace all references to 'Risk' with 'Domination'.

Tonight Pinky, we are going to take over the World!  (Cue maniacal laughter)

Rob

Last edited by greenguru (2008-12-29 21:14:45)

#6 2008-12-29 22:08:53

ghoti
#! Member

greenguru wrote:

Good post. Thanks.

Whilst I am sure that we can all work it out anyway I would like to add the following:

1.  the first command should be    sudo apt-get update

2. Java should already be installed.

3.  the link takes you to the Risk clone 'Domination'.  You would need to replace all references to 'Risk' with 'Domination'.

Tonight Pinky, we are going to take over the World!  (Cue maniacal laughter)

Rob

Thanks for kindly pointing this out my mistake. I installed Risk a while ago while it was under the name 'Risk' and only wrote the [How to] yesterday when someone wanted to know where I got the Risk application. And did not fully test it with the new file. Sorry about that. sad I have made the appropriate changes in the original post.

Ghoti cool

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

Thomas A. Edison

#7 2008-12-30 02:57:56

ghoti
#! Member

I edited the original procedure described above one more time, as the link that I initially provided was for Domination, a clone of Risk. And the default map on Domination is ugly as hell. sad I found a link on Freshmeat to download the Risk_install_1.0.9.8.jar file rather than the Domination_install_1.0.9.8.jar as I originally posted. I tested this procedure both on the liveCD of #! and on TinyMe, and got the right file this time! tongue

You can get additional maps HERE.

Have fun!
Ghoti cool

Thomas A. Edison

#8 2010-01-26 09:36:30

nabilalk
#! Die Hard

After installation into my home directory, Risk was not added to lxpanel menu. I need to create a .desktop file to put risk in the Games category. What should I enter under "Exec="?

My .desktop file:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Risk
Comment=The Game of World Conquest.
Exec=/home/Risk/run.sh
Icon=risk_icon.png
Terminal=true
Type=Application
Categories=Game
StartupNotify=true
GenericName=Risk

[SOLVED] I had the correct .desktop settings, however under properties, Launcher, I had "Run in Terminal" checked. Disabling this solved the issue, thanks!

Here is a risk application icon I made for anyone that wants it formatted in .png size 48x48. Just add this to your usr/share/pixmaps and in the .desktop file type the filename in the "Icon=" entry. If you choose to make your own icon, make sure it is a .png and 48x48.

Last edited by nabilalk (2010-01-26 10:00:34)

#! 10 “Statler” r20110207 32-bit & Openbox

#9 2013-07-10 05:22:07

francois.e
#! Member

This post will always be of actuality for gamers. Just note that the Risk game changed name for Domination. I imagine there some rights issues.

You need two packages default-jre:
fl@crunchbang:~$ sudo apt-get install default-jre

and Domination:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dominat … t/download

installing the game will ask you to:
fl@crunchbang:~$ sudo java -jar /home/fl/downloads/Domination_install_1.1.1.4.jar

As the game is installed into /usr/local/Domination/, the command to start the game will be:
fl@crunchbang:~$ /usr/local/Domination/run.sh

Last edited by francois.e (2013-07-11 16:44:02)

Board footer