SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-20 18:24:28

RRrp

Connecting Android <solved>

Having trouble connecting an Android device to CrunchBang

Android version 4.2.2 no longer connects as a mass storage device via USB.
I have tried using mtpfs and like many people got it to work once and then never again. I had it show up in Thunar along with the microSD card. But although both still show up with mpt-detect but I can not access them with mtp-connect. gmtp also fails.

I have tried Airdroid and it works well except pictures are not at full quality and the free account only lets you transfer 100 meg per month.
I recently went on a long hike and my (real) camera batteries died so I wound up taking 380 pictures with my Galaxy S IV. I got a 50G Dropbox account so I used that for file transfer. My internet is'nt the fastest but it took almost 12 hours to get those pictures on to my computer.

So I am looking for another solution
I have seen some posts metioning using FTP SSH or rsync. My phone is not rooted, and I have no idea how to set up these services on my computer. If any of these seems likely could someone point me towards a simple tutorial on this.

Last edited by RRrp (2013-10-24 22:01:36)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-10-20 18:38:03

dura
Bloated Gimp

Re: Connecting Android <solved>

My girlfriend has this problem on her phone; I haven't really attempted to get through it, but it seems you've had just as good a go as I would have, or probably better. I have an Android phone but I don't experience this issue...

If you want to go the ftp way, then its pretty easy with Android- there's a few apps for it, and also for ssh. On iPhones you have to jailbreak them, but you don't have to root your Android as far as I'm aware (one of the reasons I switched...). If you want gui then probably use Filezilla, or you can do the whole thing with terminal on both the Android phone and your Linux machine.

#3 2013-10-20 18:46:42

damo
#! gimpbanger

Like others I have had this problem, but have found several solutions including go-mtpfs. I am in the middle of putting together a How To, so if you could hang on a day or two..... smile

Artwork at deviantArt;  Iceweasel Personas;  SLiM #! Themes;  Openbox themes

#4 2013-10-21 21:24:00

RRrp

damo

I am in the middle of putting together a How To

looking forward to that.

In the meantime I have installed VXCONNECTBOT and successfully connected to my laptop from my phone via ssh. I have run ls and can see the files in my /home directory. Now I have to figure out how to move the pictures from my phone to the computer.

#5 2013-10-21 21:32:20

damo
#! gimpbanger

HowTo: Connect to an Android 4 phone

Hope this helps. Feedback would be good smile

#6 2013-10-22 05:06:57

MaLiXs

you could transfert file with console with adb or using the ftp server solution With ES file explorer ( like i Use)

#7 2013-10-23 02:00:59

RRrp

@damo
The gphoto tutorial really is the easiest. It successfully transfered all of my photos, but you cannot access downloaded pictures or other files. Still it painlessly covers the bulk of my needs. Thanks for that.

I have yet to try your go-mtpfs method though I suspect that will be the one most suited for me as I can transfer pretty much anything I want like I could before.

I am interested in this SSH, FTP, SFTP thing. But I have played with it quite a bit with only limited success. VXCONNECTBOT appears to only act as a client. I have successfully used it to write a test message with Vi on my laptop but I can't figure out how to transfer files or any of the other "magical" things that SSH is supposed to enable me to do. I will have to try MaLiXs suggestion of ES file explorer.

#8 2013-10-23 03:18:50

maddie
Website

RRrp wrote:

@damo
The gphoto tutorial really is the easiest. It successfully transfered all of my photos, but you cannot access downloaded pictures or other files. Still it painlessly covers the bulk of my needs. Thanks for that.

I have yet to try your go-mtpfs method though I suspect that will be the one most suited for me as I can transfer pretty much anything I want like I could before.

I am interested in this SSH, FTP, SFTP thing. But I have played with it quite a bit with only limited success. VXCONNECTBOT appears to only act as a client. I have successfully used it to write a test message with Vi on my laptop but I can't figure out how to transfer files or any of the other "magical" things that SSH is supposed to enable me to do. I will have to try MaLiXs suggestion of ES file explorer.

Try AirDroid on your Android device if you have the device and your computer in the same network.

#9 2013-10-23 08:52:51

damo
#! gimpbanger

AirDroid is good, but for photo transfers it is horribly tedious (unless I've missed something obvious eg Select All ?? )

#10 2013-10-23 09:24:47

maddie
Website

damo wrote:

AirDroid is good, but for photo transfers it is horribly tedious (unless I've missed something obvious eg Select All ?? )

There should be a select all option.. or you should just select them all with your mouse

And if you're going to pull all the photos, you can just use the File Manager and download the whole DCIM folder

#11 2013-10-24 22:20:24

RRrp

I am marking this solved. For anybody looking for a concise answer to connecting to Android 4.x I suggest damo's tutorial

Nearly all forum threads on many other forums are difficult to follow or just plain do not lead to success. Especially in regards to FTP or SFTP, and SSH. damo also has not thoroughly explored this probably because it quickly gets muddy. I have had limited success  but can second MaLiXs recommendation of E S File Explorer. For file transfer with E SFile Explorer via SFTP refer to this tutorial

Still have'nt figured out how to access my phone from my computer.  sad

#12 2014-01-09 21:38:46

rmcellig
#! Die Hard
Website

Damo,

I finally got around to trying out your solution. For some reason one of the commands is not working. See the bottom of the results I get.

randy@crunch2000:~$ sudo apt-get install golang fuse git-core libmtp-dev libfuse-dev
[sudo] password for randy: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
fuse is already the newest version.
libfuse-dev is already the newest version.
git-core is already the newest version.
golang is already the newest version.
libmtp-dev is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
randy@crunch2000:~$ sudo adduser $USER fuse
The user `randy' is already a member of `fuse'.
randy@crunch2000:~$ mkdir ~/tmp/go
randy@crunch2000:~$ export GOPATH=~/tmp/go
randy@crunch2000:~$ go get github.com/hanwen/go-mtpfs
# pkg-config --cflags libusb-1.0
exec: "pkg-config": executable file not found in $PATH
randy@crunch2000:~$ 

Cheers Randy
www.mcran.com - my web site
www.chuo.fm - My radio show Sundays  noon-2pm EST or 89.1 fM

#13 2014-01-09 22:22:52

damo
#! gimpbanger

That's because you need pkg-config installed.

Find out what is needed to build and install stuff, and apt-get them - or you could run cb-welcome again and skip through to the page that installs everything you need

#14 2014-01-10 00:08:52

Joe90
#! Junkie

+1 for Airdroid app. Just so simple, and allows you to use most of the phone features from your PC, and can also be used by any OS / any PC where you have "discoverable" wireless.

Copying/Moving multiple photos is done with Click first and hold, hold down Shift key, Click last, to select then download, multiple files will be zipped up into one file for the download

#15 2014-01-10 00:13:37

damo
#! gimpbanger

Joe90 wrote:

+1 for Airdroid app. Just so simple, and allows you to use most of the phone features from your PC, and can also be used by any OS / any PC where you have "discoverable" wireless.

Copying/Moving multiple photos is done with Click first and hold, hold down Shift key, Click last, to select then download, multiple files will be zipped up into one file for the download

I thought I'd tried that - it's the standard way after all! I'll give it another go sometime

#16 2014-01-10 18:51:28

Joe90
#! Junkie

Sorry, got it wrong:

Click first file, hold down Shift key, Click last, to make multiple selection

#17 2014-01-11 01:22:20

Kriogenic

Something else worth trying is FTPDroid an FTP server for your phone.

When it is up and running and on your network  you can use gFTP client to connect and its as simple as drag and drop from there.

- Kriogenic.

Board footer