SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-06 19:00:58

Chooch
#! Member

So I Want To Install #! On MY HDD Now....

Hey, Everyone!

O-K, so after putzing with #! in a VM briefly, I've decided I want to install it on my hard-drive, replacing Ubuntu 10.04 as my secondary OS (It will be dual-booted with my current Debian)

Questions:

1)I have an older 3GHZ P4 with a slow bus and only 1Gig of RAM...do I want the ISO for "older computers" or the one for "modern computers"? (If older will work, I'd just as soon go with that...)- I'm REALLY surprised that there is no documentation/specific info about the details of both versions!
EDIT: I see the "modern" version is labelled "i686"...since my processor is i686, I guess it should be O-K?

2)I remember there being a screen or two in the installer about files systems and options to choose things like "LVM", etc. I'm clueless....even though I Googled- I can not find a laymen's explanation of how this relates to me and my 'puter- can someone help me figure-out what options to choose?
EDIT: I figured-out the LVM thin...don't need it.

3)My current Debian GRUB bootloader works perfectly, and I'd prefer to keep it. Can I just choose not to install a bootloader when installing #!, and then the current one will just pick up on the newly-installed #! ?

Last edited by Chooch (2013-10-06 19:14:33)

CAUTION!    Linus may be quoted!!.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-10-06 19:23:59

photonucleon
Quantum Geek

Re: So I Want To Install #! On MY HDD Now....

Hey there Chooch,
I'm no expert, but I can give you an answer to question 1:
You probably can (and should) use the 'modern' iso. If it doesn't work, (but it really should), then try the 'older' one. I also noticed you said "only 1Gig of RAM" - that should by no means be a problem, #! runs super-fast on my laptop with no memory problems - and this is with a 1.4GHz Celeron M with 471MiB of RAM...
Hope this is of some help smile

-A CrunchBanger's blog-

"At this moment," said Syme, with a scientific detachment, "I think we are going to smash into a lamppost.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Man Who Was Thursday

#3 2013-10-06 19:29:03

RemuN
#! Member

3) I'm not sure if you can skip installing Grub, but it doesn't really matter. You can always go back to your other install and just run grub-install from there.

#4 2013-10-06 19:37:33

iMBeCil
WAAAAT?

3) I think that you can skip GRUB installation when you are installing new distro. But, then, you have to do one of the following:

a) boot your previous linux distro, and execute:

$ sudo update-grub

It will (or should) automatically find all bootable pratitions (note: it will - of course - change GRUB menu with new entry)

b) manually edit relevant GRUB config:

$ sudo nano /boot/grub/grub.cfg

c) edit GRUB during boot process

Otherwise, you will not be able to boot your freshly installed new distro.

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#5 2013-10-06 19:54:51

damo
#! gimpbanger

iMBeCil wrote:

3) I think that you can skip GRUB installation when you are installing new distro. But, then, you have to do one of the following:

$ sudo update-grub

It will (or should) automatically find all bootable pratitions (note: it will - of course - change GRUB menu with new entry)

Don't do (b)!

/boot/grub/grub.cfg

#DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig....

Great guide to managing grub here

Artwork at deviantArt;  Iceweasel Personas;  SLiM #! Themes;  Openbox themes

#6 2013-10-06 20:19:29

Chooch
#! Member

photonucleon wrote:

#! runs super-fast on my laptop with no memory problems - and this is with a 1.4GHz Celeron M with 471MiB of RAM...
Hope this is of some help smile

^Points and laughs....

[JUST KIDDING!!!]

Actually, that isvery helpful! One of the things that attracted me to #!, was it's light-weightness..... It did become very slow on the VM after just a few days- so i was a little wary- but....eh....it's a VM.

RemuN wrote:

3) I'm not sure if you can skip installing Grub, but it doesn't really matter. You can always go back to your other install and just run grub-install from there.

Ah! That shouldn't be  problem.

iMBeCil wrote:

$ sudo update-grub

damo wrote:
iMBeCil wrote:

$ sudo update-grub

Don't do (b)!

/boot/grub/grub.cfg

#DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#

Option "A" it is!

#7 2013-10-06 21:06:58

photonucleon
Quantum Geek

You're welcome! Hope the install goes well smile

-A CrunchBanger's blog-

"At this moment," said Syme, with a scientific detachment, "I think we are going to smash into a lamppost.”

#8 2013-10-07 00:44:08

Chooch
#! Member

Thanks, Photonuke!

It's up and running...using it now! The install went a lot faster on the HDD than on the VM- and so far, #! is very snappy!

Now I just have to migrate my data over from Debian....and figure out how to disable the caps lock (Expect another thread from me...I've Googled...but no luck so far...)

At least I remembered how to set-up my desktop wallpaper! (I had posted here about that, recently; ended up figuring it out myself, by dragging and dropping between 2 Thumar[root] windows!).

#9 2013-10-07 01:00:15

damo
#! gimpbanger

Chooch wrote:

Thanks, Photonuke!

It's up and running...using it now! The install went a lot faster on the HDD than on the VM- and so far, #! is very snappy!

Now I just have to migrate my data over from Debian....and figure out how to disable the caps lock (Expect another thread from me...I've Googled...but no luck so far...)

At least I remembered how to set-up my desktop wallpaper! (I had posted here about that, recently; ended up figuring it out myself, by dragging and dropping between 2 Thumar[root] windows!).

Well done smile

Couple of caps lock fixes described in this thread

#10 2013-10-07 04:30:08

Chooch
#! Member

Thanks, Damo. Tried what is described in that thread (Only saw one thing, in the OP) and something sles (Involving ".Xmodprobe" something-or-other- and neither has worked... sad

#11 2013-10-07 05:32:19

damo
#! gimpbanger

IIRC I have used this in the past:

setxkbmap -option ctrl:nocaps &

Put it in your autostart

Last edited by damo (2013-10-07 05:32:48)

#12 2013-10-07 10:29:00

iMBeCil
WAAAAT?

damo wrote:
iMBeCil wrote:

Don't do (b)!

/boot/grub/grub.cfg

#DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#

Just for the record: you can safely do the (b), but then don't do 'update-grub'.

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#13 2013-10-07 14:06:12

iann
#! Die Hard

#! runs brilliantly on a 3GHz P4 with 1GB RAM.  Exactly what I'm typing on now smile  More memory won't hurt, and I have several memory compression features enabled in a 3.10 kernel that I've installed.  You'll certainly have no complaints compared to Ubuntu 12.04.  You can install the "modern" kernel but all you really gain is a bit more code that allows you to access lots of memory.  So you don't need it and won't notice any difference whichever you install.

You can keep Grub legacy if you want smile  I don't know exactly what your existing Grub version is, but so long as you're comfortable with the procedure for configuring it after #! is installed then feel free to keep it.

Just for the record, manually editing grub.cfg usually comes back to bite you.  One day when you've entirely forgotten what you did, it will get updated by some installation of upgrade and you won't be able to boot.  With Grub2 its always best to get all your ducks in a row with the behind-the-scenes config files so that update-grub is safe.  update-grub should automatically pick up on any kernels that are in /boot, so multi-boot systems are simplest with a separate /boot partition to contain all the kernels.

#14 2013-10-07 15:20:55

Chooch
#! Member

damo wrote:

IIRC I have used this in the past:

setxkbmap -option ctrl:nocaps &

Put it in your autostart

I did. I believe it was /something/Openbox/autostart.sh? When I boot into #! later today, maybe I can post a screenshot so youse[sic] guys can tell me if I did it right? (Should pretty much work as long as there's no "#" in front of it, eh?).  I really have to disable that caps lock! Other than that, everything just seems to work very nicely. I got my bookmarks imported- so all I have to do is install and set-up email, and transfer documents/photos/etc. and I believe I can be as fully functional in #! as I now am with Debian!

I'm frustrated with the caps lock thing....but in a way, it's good- as just by futzing with all this minutiae, causes me to learn a lot about the system.... A few more such episodes, and I might actually know what I'm doing before long!

iMBeCil wrote:

Just for the record: you can safely do the (b), but then don't do 'update-grub'.

iann wrote:

#! runs brilliantly on a 3GHz P4 with 1GB RAM.  Exactly what I'm typing on now smile  More memory won't hurt, and I have several memory compression features enabled in a 3.10 kernel that I've installed.  You'll certainly have no complaints compared to Ubuntu 12.04.  You can install the "modern" kernel but all you really gain is a bit more code that allows you to access lots of memory.  So you don't need it and won't notice any difference whichever you install.

You can keep Grub legacy if you want smile  I don't know exactly what your existing Grub version is, but so long as you're comfortable with the procedure for configuring it after #! is installed then feel free to keep it.

Just for the record, manually editing grub.cfg usually comes back to bite you.  One day when you've entirely forgotten what you did, it will get updated by some installation of upgrade and you won't be able to boot.  With Grub2 its always best to get all your ducks in a row with the behind-the-scenes config files so that update-grub is safe.  update-grub should automatically pick up on any kernels that are in /boot, so multi-boot systems are simplest with a separate /boot partition to contain all the kernels.

Thanks, guys!

It turns out, that when installing #!, it wouldn't let me not install it's GRUB.... So I had to do it. Of course, it's the same thing as what I had...it's just that now I have to select Debian when I boot-up (My main workiong distro, for now) or it'll boot into #! automatically. And I'm sure that could be changed quite easily, but I doubt I'll bother, because afdter I get #! set-up the way I want it, I'm going to re-install Debian [The current install was meant as a test- and i didn't fully know what I was doing, and made some bad choices- like "Noatide"...)- so when I do that, Debian will be back to the top (By that time, I'll probably want #! to be on the top! big_smile)

If I keep this 'puter, I'll definitely add a gig of RAM. Just debating iffin' I want to do that, or just get a new 'puter. If I get my sound working properly [Hardware issue- not a #! thing, as it's done it in 4 different OS's] I'll probably just keep this'un. [In fact, considering the fact that I just spent $1000 on chicken manure for my hayfield/pasture.....I'll definitely be keeping this 'puter! -even though it's pretty low-quality. When I do get s new one, I want to get a good one- maybe an Asus? Or build my own.)

#15 2013-10-08 03:31:31

Chooch
#! Member

It's working!

I had initially typed an "n" in "cntrl". Realized my mistake...fixed it...but of course [unbeknownst to me...but eventually surmised] the fix didn't take effect until I rebooted.

EDIT: Oh, and I have to say: So far, my 'puter is having the best performance of it's life with #!, than with any other OS! (Others were: Vista; Ubuntu 10.04; Debian 7)

I do believe this will become my primary OS before long. I just need to learn a little- and by using it often and tinkering and configuring, I think I will learn fast.

Thanks, all!

Last edited by Chooch (2013-10-08 04:00:51)

#16 2013-10-08 20:34:32

Chooch
#! Member

Funny- Just my short experience with #!, and already, I find it so intuitive and am so used to it, that when I am booted into Debian, I find myself right-clicking on the desktop for a menu, and was forgetting to look in "places" for my downloads folder! I'm using #! now......I guess it is official- #! has become my primary OS!

It's a good distro for a noob, like me, because it encourages just enough tinkering to make you learn- and yet when you need to do some bread-and-butter [real] work, it'll do it with no problems! What a great combination!  Sure, I could have done a minimal Debian install and then set it up like #!....but why bother, when someone else has already done that for me, thanks to Crunchbang?

#17 2013-10-09 07:56:27

photonucleon
Quantum Geek

Well, it looks like welcome to the land of #! smile Have fun!

-A CrunchBanger's blog-

#18 2013-10-11 04:54:30

Chooch
#! Member

Thanks, Photo!

Man! Finding #! is like finding the mythical Miss right- everything just "clicks"[no pun intended] and it just seems so right in every way! I've found MY operating system!

.....I'm learning, too- Was able to configure Tint2 just the way I want it!

Darn, I love it!

#19 2013-10-11 07:27:17

photonucleon
Quantum Geek

Chooch wrote:

Thanks, Photonuke!

Chooch wrote:

Thanks, Photo!

Officially the first person to shorten my username smile

-A CrunchBanger's blog-

#20 2013-10-11 13:06:54

jdmeaux1952

Chooch wrote:

Thanks, guys!
.I'll definitely be keeping this 'puter! -even though it's pretty low-quality. When I do get s new one, I want to get a good one- maybe an Asus? Or build my own.)

I will recommend that you to go to http://www.maximumpc.com/build_pc_recom … ember_2013 to see what Maximum PC magazine recommends.  Their BASELINE setup is probably the best of the group considering performance (for gaming) and costs.  {{www.Newegg.com is a good site for competitive prices. Go to the DYI section of Computer Hardware and look for combos that cost less than normal.}}

Let's mention CPU's.  That is the brain of the computer. If you do primarily Gaming, offline or online, go for the AMD chips. They are tuned more for graphics like the Apple brand.

For hard crunching, audio or video editing, use the Intel chips. They will do it faster,

Phear the Penguin.

tongue I am not CrAzY.  And I have a paper from the doctors to prove it!  tongue

#21 2013-10-11 14:38:42

Chooch
#! Member

photonucleon wrote:
Chooch wrote:

Thanks, Photonuke!

Chooch wrote:

Thanks, Photo!

Officially the first person to shorten my username smile

The best part was when I said "nuke" big_smile

Hey, I almost called you "Cleon"- There is/was actually somebody named Cleon in real life: Cleon Jones- a baseball player with '69 Mets (I'm not a sports fan...just a former New Yorker)

jdmeaux1952 wrote:
Chooch wrote:

Thanks, guys!
.I'll definitely be keeping this 'puter! -even though it's pretty low-quality. When I do get s new one, I want to get a good one- maybe an Asus? Or build my own.)

I will recommend that you to go to http://www.maximumpc.com/build_pc_recom … ember_2013 to see what Maximum PC magazine recommends.  Their BASELINE setup is probably the best of the group considering performance (for gaming) and costs.  {{www.Newegg.com is a good site for competitive prices. Go to the DYI section of Computer Hardware and look for combos that cost less than normal.}}

Let's mention CPU's.  That is the brain of the computer. If you do primarily Gaming, offline or online, go for the AMD chips. They are tuned more for graphics like the Apple brand.

For hard crunching, audio or video editing, use the Intel chips. They will do it faster,

I will heed that advice! Not into gaming at all (The only computer game I ever play is Emilia Pinball ) so I guess I'm stuck with Intel... I don't do anything hardcore these days, so I don't need anything fancy, I just want something of good quality.  Don't know if I will upgrade this 'puter, because it seems it only has a 66Mhz bus (Could that be)- but then again, with #! I guess it works better than a 500Mhz bus under WinD'ohs.... (Another great thing about Linux- it doesn't con you into constantly having to buy the latest & greatest, just to accomplish what you did in 1998 with a 500Mhz P2)

Now I must go and admire my OS. (I'm already using #! as my primary OS... ready to wipe Debian already! -not that there's anything wrong with it...)

Last edited by Chooch (2013-10-11 15:32:01)

#22 2013-10-18 14:49:41

Chooch
#! Member

EDIT: Nevermind.....it's fixed now- but i don't know why!

Guys? Suddenly, today, just out-of-the-blue, the caps lock started working again, even though I had disabled it, as mentioned above!  I checked the autostart file and restarted Openbox....but the caps lock is still working? What is going on? Why isn't it still disabled, as it should be?

Last edited by Chooch (2013-10-18 20:44:33)

Board footer