SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-05 16:01:26

petrochemicals

What is everything needed to make cb-exit work in another distro?

I had used Crunchbang for a good while and really like the log out dialog that pops up. I beleive it is a python script called cb-exit. Personally I love Openbox but have moved on from Crunchbang looking for a distro that has newer packages. So I have moved to Archbang. The one thing I really miss though is the log out dialog. I was wondering if someone could help me figure out what I need to install to get cb-exit working on Archbang?

Last edited by petrochemicals (2013-10-05 16:05:24)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-10-05 23:42:12

otak
#! Member

Re: What is everything needed to make cb-exit work in another distro?

disclaimer:  This may not work if you don't have dbus-daemon and console-kit - works on ubuntu 12.04 with openbox
todo:          How dbus-send tells console-kit/hal/whatever to shutdown

I got the file cb-exit from the waldorf archive:
http://packages.crunchbang.org/waldorf/ … .01.tar.gz

You can use wget to download and tar to unzip or just use the mouse.  I save the file cb-exit in my ~/bin folder.  Create the folder if necessary.  Have a look inside, it's only python.

cb-exit contains this command:
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=\"org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit\" /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Stop

This has changed since statler. The old version used Hal.  It did not work for me on ubuntu but this one does.
Hopefully by now you should be able to run cb-exit in terminal to test.
If you get command not found you may need to add these lines to your ~/.profile or ~/.bash_profile, whichever one you use:
if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
    PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
fi

If the script worked you just need to make a keyboard shortcut, in #! it is done in ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml in the <keyboard> section:
  <keybind key="W-x">
      <action name="Execute">
        <startupnotify>
          <enabled>true</enabled>
          <name>Logout</name>
        </startupnotify>
        <command>cb-exit</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>

I hope that works for you,  now we just need to theme it...

#3 2013-10-06 01:18:55

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

A common sense understanding of what you're doing ? Just sayin ... Shrugs. wink

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#4 2013-10-06 08:00:35

uname
#! Junkie

I do not like "cb-exit". Why do not use the normal openbox-menu with the same entries (~/.config/openbox.menu.xml)?

For dependencies (python-gtk2, consolekit, upower). Hope Arch uses the same packages.

debian/control (in the tar-file):

Source: cb-exit
Section: misc
Priority: extra
Maintainer: Philip Newborough <corenominal@corenominal.org>
Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 5.0.0)
Standards-Version: 3.9.1
Homepage: http://crunchbang.org/

Package: cb-exit
Architecture: all
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}, python-gtk2, consolekit, upower
Description: CrunchBang logout script.
GUI logout/shutdown/restart/suspend script.

#5 2013-10-06 08:32:58

mynis01
#! Die Hard

If I'm not mistaken, cb-exit uses HAL, so it might be kinda wierd to implement it in arch. There are several other allternatives in the AUR, like oblogout and goodbye-git, have you tried using one of them?

#6 2013-10-06 10:54:06

cpoakes
#! Member

Manjaro Openbox, another Arch distro, has adopted cb-exit.  It may be easier to steal it from them - I have not tried.

programming and administering unix since 1976 (BSD, System III, Xenix, System V, Linux)

#7 2013-10-07 00:55:40

petrochemicals

CBizgreat! wrote:

Is this an acceptable response on these forums? Considering every other person that answered this thread has a helpful and thoughtful response, how is it that you thought that this insult was in any way constructive to anyone?

mynis01 wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, cb-exit uses HAL, so it might be kinda wierd to implement it in arch. There are several other allternatives in the AUR, like oblogout and goodbye-git, have you tried using one of them?

Thank you! Oblogout works perfect. Frankly people like yourself and otak, uname, mynis01 and cpoakes are the kind of people that make Crunchbang and the Linux world worth while. Sadly there are still the people like CBizgreat that try to fulfill the rumors of Linux being an unfriendly community.

#8 2013-10-07 01:07:59

damo
#! gimpbanger

petrochemicals wrote:
CBizgreat! wrote:

Is this an acceptable response on these forums? Considering every other person that answered this thread has a helpful and thoughtful response, how is it that you thought that this insult was in any way constructive to anyone?

Thank you! Oblogout works perfect. Frankly people like yourself and otak, uname, mynis01 and cpoakes are the kind of people that make Crunchbang and the Linux world worth while. Sadly there are still the people like CBizgreat that try to fulfill the rumors of Linux being an unfriendly community.

CBiz has an individual style which I find very amusing, and he is a very helpful kind of a guy around here. I appreciate that the comment may read as an insult, but since it's a bit out-of-character let's give the benefit of the doubt? Just sayin... wink

Artwork at deviantArt;  Iceweasel Personas;  SLiM #! Themes;  Openbox themes

#9 2013-10-07 01:11:06

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

petrochemicals wrote:
CBizgreat! wrote:

@petrochemicals, nope, it's really not, sorry about that. Though as damo mentions above, it may be a misunderstanding (like a joke that didn't come out quite right).

@CBiz, it was a reasonable question from the OP. smile If something's bothering you please feel free to PM me or another moderator.

#! forum moderator

#10 2013-10-07 01:29:29

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@CBiz:  I know you were just being CBiz, but I have to side with chillicampari on this; petrochemicals is new here, so there's no reason to expect him to pick up on your humor (Poe's Law) the way we do.

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#11 2013-10-07 17:05:03

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

Enough hatin', free hugs for CBiz!  kiss

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres
Github

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#12 2013-10-07 17:20:12

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Awww shucks Damo and Unia .. thanks.  angel

@Op ... probably was having an off/impatient day, shrugs. Though he/she found something that works for em so all's well that end's well. Yeah should probably stick more to the old "if ya don't have nothing nice to say etc." Otherwise resist the urge to hit the submit button ... arghhh ! BAD biz ... Bad, bad !

Vll! smile

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

Board footer