SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-11 02:30:05

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

Transmission issues (seedbox)

One of the two machines in my bedroom closet is a seedbox running Waldorf. I have, for the last few months, been downloading and seeding torrents using transmission-gtk. Unfortunately, Transmission seems to have developed a habit of either a. opening after a delay and then crashing sometime later or b. not opening at all.

As a result of this behavior, I am considering switching torrent clients. I've heard good things about rtorrent, but as this machine is sometimes used for casual web browsing as well as seeding, removing X is not an option. So I suppose I'm looking for a lightweight, graphical torrent client with a web interface.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions? smile

Last edited by antiv0rtex (2013-07-11 02:37:42)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-07-11 02:35:23

NNJRob

Re: Transmission issues (seedbox)

antiv0rtex wrote:

well said! wink

#3 2013-07-11 02:38:03

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

NNJRob wrote:
antiv0rtex wrote:

well said! wink

haha, you caught me in mid-edit! big_smile

#4 2013-07-11 05:12:46

pvsage
Internal Affairs

antiv0rtex wrote:

So I suppose I'm looking for a lightweight, graphical torrent client with a web interface.

~$ apt-cache search torrent | grep web
deluge-web - bittorrent client written in Python/PyGTK (web ui)
deluge-webui - bittorrent client (web ui transitional package)
rtpg-www - web based front end for rTorrent
torrentflux - web based, feature-rich BitTorrent download manager
weboob - CLI applications to interact with websites

I haven't used them, but deluge-web and rtpg-www look promising.

~$ aptitude show deluge-web
Package: deluge-web               
State: not installed
Version: 1.3.3-2+nmu1
Priority: optional
Section: net
Maintainer: Cristian Greco <cristian@debian.org>
Architecture: all
Uncompressed Size: 6,487 k
Depends: python (>= 2.6.6-7~), python (< 2.8), deluge-common (= 1.3.3-2+nmu1),
         python-mako
Breaks: deluge-webui (< 1.2.0~rc1-1), deluge-webui (< 1.2.0~rc1-1)
Replaces: deluge-webui (< 1.2.0~rc1-1), deluge-webui (< 1.2.0~rc1-1)
Description: bittorrent client written in Python/PyGTK (web ui)
 Deluge is a full-featured, multi-platform, multi-interface BitTorrent client
 using libtorrent-rasterbar in it's backend and featuring multiple
 user-interfaces: GTK+, web and console. 

It has been designed using the client-server model with a daemon process that
 handles all the bittorrent activity. The Deluge daemon is able to run on
 headless machines with the user-interfaces being able to connect remotely from
 any platform. 

You may want to install this package on a remote server running the deluge
 daemon (package deluged). See:
 <URL:http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/UserGuide/ThinClient>
Homepage: http://www.deluge-torrent.org/

peter@azarath:~$ aptitude show rtpg-www
Package: rtpg-www                 
State: not installed
Version: 0.2.11-3
Priority: optional
Section: web
Maintainer: Dmitry E. Oboukhov <unera@debian.org>
Architecture: all
Uncompressed Size: 700 k
Depends: librpc-xml-perl (>= 0.69), libjson-xs-perl, libjs-jquery (>= 1.4.2),
         libtemplate-perl, rtorrent (>= 0.7.9), debconf, apache2 | httpd,
         liblocale-po-perl, libgeo-ipfree-perl, libmime-types-perl,
         famfamfam-flag-png, libtree-simple-perl, libcgi-simple-perl
Recommends: libapache2-mod-scgi, apache2
Description: web based front end for rTorrent
 RTPG (rTorrent Perl GUI) is a simple web interface for rTorrent. Users can
 scan/delete/add torrents and set their respective priorities.
Homepage: http://rtpg2.rshadow.ru

(EDIT: originally posted code block from full-screen terminal; re-posted with more sane terminal width.)

Last edited by pvsage (2013-07-11 05:16:32)

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#5 2013-07-11 06:15:29

paxmark1
#! CrunchBanger

Maybe I am not understanding - but rtorrent will work quite well in an X environment - it will just run in a terminal window. 

One of the most classic web pages in my (skewed warped) view
http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/05/02 … ike-a-pro/

I am biased, I rip from the command line, burn cd-rw's from cli and convert .flv's etc. to mp3 or ogg via command line.    It can be worth the learning curve to master rtorrent. 

He (kmandla)  also has classic examples well explained about "screen"  but "tmux will do the job better now and is better supported of being able to "disappear" a terminal and then have it reappear (reattach). 

Of course the problem might not be transmission - it might be the wear and tear on the HDD from seeding, dust bunnies heating up the enclosure, power supply getting long in the tooth, etc. etc. 

Wish you well and I am sure you will figure it out.

Jean Vanier wrote "Being Human" and "A Short History of Progress" by Ronald Wright.  Gotta love the Massey Lectures.

#6 2013-09-06 16:20:33

iann
#! Die Hard

I've spent more time than I care to think over the last few months investigating and developing for the main bit torrent programs available under Linux, which I'll summarise here.  You might want to consider your restriction on a "graphical" client only, since you then go on to say "with a web interface".  There is also no need to ditch the whole of X, just because your torrent client doesn't come with a GUI.

I'll start with Azureus (or Vuze if you like, or if you don't like since they are inseparable).  Don't know why I bother really.  I've developed an intense hatred of this program.  It runs on top of Java which may have advantages for certain users, but on most versions of Linux it just means the program is bloated, slow, and ugly.  The versions available on most flavours of Linux are also noticeably out of date, not so much as problem for the engine itself but for many of the plugins it is disastrous.  Speaking of those plugins, despite the massive bloat Azureus doesn't do a great many things without them.  If you want a web interface then you'll need a plugin.  There are several, all offering different features or different technologies, none of them brilliant, and some of them virtually useless on the version of Azureus you'll get from Debian.  Don't touch it with a barge-pole unless you absolutely need some of that bloat.

You've already heard of Deluge, and even had one tentative recommendation on this thread.  My opinion is that it is Linux's very own answer to Azureus.  Although perhaps not as bloated as Azureus itself, it does run on top of Python which makes for a fairly big install without a massive boost in features.  It is unnecessarily complicated, with the web interface requiring an additional two packages, each larger than some of the entire programs I'll get to soon.  There is a GTK front end and also a separate console interface.  It works, but I can't recommend it.

The other "classic" Linux torrent engine is Transmission.  This is definitely lighter and is the default with Crunchbang.  It definitely has a few glitches but mostly seemed to work for me.  It has a web interface, although not enabled by default.  It is a little limited, but does most of what you'd want.  There are several front ends available and I mostly used the QT versions rather than the GTK one that comes with Crunchbang.  A little prettier, but does need a couple of QT libraries.

A newer entrant is qBittorrent.  Despite the name it is nothing to do with the venerable BitTorrent client on Windows, and uses an engine built for Linux, although there is now a Windows port.  Lightweight, but it does come with a QT front end which needs those same basic libraries again.  Nothing huge, and probably nothing you don't have already, but worth mentioning if you've stripped down your system.  There is a headless build (qBittorrent-nox) and both builds include a web interface all bundled in.  Quite nice, but I've noticed some bugs, such as not properly queuing up more torrents when the existing ones are stalled out.  The web interface is smooth and pretty complete, modelled closely on the uTorrent one.

Which brings us back to uTorrent itself, by far the most popular client in the world, especially if you include the identical but differently-branded BitTorrent.  Unfortunately there is no full Linux release, so no packages, but there are 32-bit and 64-bit "alpha" binaries available.  This has been under development for years and works pretty well, but it does insist on a couple of obsolete libraries so installing isn't for the faint-hearted.  Also no GUI except for the webui interface.  That interface is good, and the program itself has worked flawlessly for me.  There's a reason why so many people use it, it is the best, and the Linux version doesn't come with the adware that plagues Windows users.  Also the entire download is 1.5MB, so nobody could complain about bloat.  The exact same program is also offered branded as BitTorrent with somewhat different bundled adware, but that isn't available on Linux despite there being a Debian package with that name.  The Debian and Ubuntu packages called bittorrent (and bittorrent-gui) are very limited programs although they do handle torrent downloads.

#7 2013-09-06 16:37:03

iann
#! Die Hard

To clarify some other mentions in this thread:

deluge-web is just the web interface for Deluge.  You'll need Deluge running somewhere for it to talk to, also deluged, the daemon that it actually talks to.  It replaces the older deluge-webui.

torrentflux is just a torrent management database.  It manages torrents using BitTornado by default, possibly other engines also.

Which brings us to BitTornado itself, well established but with a poor feature set.  No magnet links, no web interface, at least last time I checked, also lacking major features like NAT, PEX, and uTT.

rTorrent, which it seems like you know already, is CLI-only but there are third-party addons to provide a web interface or even a native GUI if you want.

Lastly, the surprisingly complete KTorrent if you don't mind having the rest of KDE on your system.  Perhaps I should qualify "surprisingly complete" to mean "flatters to deceive" smile  An awful lot going on in there, but doesn't do some simple things very well.

Last edited by iann (2013-09-19 20:55:12)

#8 2013-09-23 21:58:39

iann
#! Die Hard

You could also try transmission-daemon if you like Transmission.  Very lightweight, but webui only.

#9 2013-09-24 08:30:04

dot|not
#! Junkie

I second Transmission's daemon here. Give it a try.

#10 2013-09-28 18:47:43

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

^ I think I will. I installed plain Debian on that machine last weekend, and currently am trying to get rtorrent to cooperate with a webUI I found somewhere, but I think I might give up and follow your advice.

#11 2013-09-29 13:02:40

ratcheer
#! Junkie

Transmission has met my needs for several years. I did have a small glitch with it on Debian, though. I coud do downloads with ease, but I noticed that I was never seeding anything. I had to poke a hole in my router for the port and then it was fine. But I thought it strange that I had never had to do that for Transmission in Ubuntu or Arch Linux.

Tim

#12 2013-11-10 18:16:46

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

My head is spinning. All I want is a simple, reliable torrent client. This is what I find so frustrating about Linux-based systems; there are a lot of very, very nice "ideas" out there, but often things just Go Catastrophically Wrong for no apparent reason. For instance, I'm trying to seed some torrents in transmission-gui on my laptop, and they continually sit idle and then stall. As a result of this, I have a ratio of 0.027 on a private tracker I joined yesterday. I'm going to be banned because of my damn torrent client, unless I can get to the bottom of what's going on.

I want to get my seedbox working, but I can't be near it all the time. I don't want to discover, someday, that the torrents I thought I was seeding for the past (theoretical) month were in fact stalled for some obscure reason and that there's no documentation to help me fix it.

tl;dr - eLybBdU.jpg

Last edited by antiv0rtex (2013-11-10 18:21:59)

#13 2013-11-10 18:34:43

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Do you know for the fact that those torrents would seed if using a different client? Maybe there are no peers to seed to.

Also since your last post in this thread, which clients have you tried? For a graphical client, I use qBittorrent and it works fine for me. I have not used its web interface so I cannot comment on that.

#14 2013-11-10 18:40:23

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

anonymous wrote:

Do you know for the fact that those torrents would seed if using a different client? Maybe there are no peers to seed to.

The one that seems to stall the most has 43 seeders and is a Featured Torrent on the tracker, so I'd assume there are others involved.

anonymous wrote:

Also since your last post in this thread, which clients have you tried? For a graphical client, I use qBittorrent and it works fine for me. I have not used its web interface so I cannot comment on that.

I've been giving the seedbox thing a break for a little while, but I'm getting back on track this weekend.

#15 2013-11-10 18:43:38

anonymous
The Mystery Member

antiv0rtex wrote:

The one that seems to stall the most has 43 seeders and is a Featured Torrent on the tracker, so I'd assume there are others involved.

A seeder simply means you have 100% of the data being shared. If you are trying to download, then I would say there is a problem. However if you are seeding, you need to look for the number of peers.

#16 2013-11-10 22:42:50

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

Ah, I see. Sorry! I have downloaded each torrent in its entirety, and now I'm trying to seed. Will track down the number of peers in a while as I have something else going on right now. That being said:

Board footer