SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-25 00:29:51

estevaz

Hi #! communtiy

I'm a first year graduate student at San Diego State University in the Computational Science program. I have a BS in Biology and until recently, I've been a casual linux user. I use a macbook pro for my casual computing, but for my course work I mainly use Linux. I have a Dell laptop running Ubuntu 12.04. I found out about #! when I was searching for a lightweight OS for an older acer notebook I had lying around. So far, it's running great (it's surprisingly fast) and I'm planning on installing latex and MATLAB/Octave and Spyder. I use C and MATLAB for my research, but I've been encouraged to give Spyder a shot.

Looking forward to using my "new" notebook.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-02-25 00:54:36

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Re: Hi #! communtiy

Welcome to CrunchBang and the Community estevaz, we are glad to have you!

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

#3 2013-02-25 10:41:42

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Welcome aboard estevaz.

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#4 2013-03-12 00:01:20

estevaz

thanks for the welcome.

so, a quick update: the netbook i have is an 160GB acer aspire one (model D150) with 1GB RAM. all of my hardware was detected without any problems. usb mouse and keyboard work fine, and so ismy external monitor (hp1955). i'm using links as my default browser; i've installed dropbox; and i've installed MATLAB R2011b from an iso. mounting the iso was not a problem and the install was quick and easy. MATLAB is running wonderfully and keeps me busy, so no complaints here! my code files are synced to dropbox, so for heavy duty work, i can run MATLAB from one of my faster machines, but this has quickly become my productivity machine.

#5 2013-03-12 00:38:03

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Welcome aboard, estevaz, and Go Aztecs! big_smile

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#6 2013-03-12 01:38:44

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

Sounds good estevaz, you have it all figured out. Welcome from me too.

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

#7 2013-09-24 06:49:26

estevaz

well, about a week ago i dropped my litter acer notebook and broke the screen. and it wouldn't start up. a friend who has a vast collection of computers (and used to give me a hard time about my little acer notebook) gave me an old lenovo thinkpad R61i. he put 4GB RAM and an 80GB hard drive in it. i considered putting some other distro on it, but my experience with #! has been wonderful, so i put #! on it. it works great out of the box. installation was a breeze. all the hardware was detected. i've installed gfortran (for one of my courses), matlab 2012b, latex, and maple14. i'm still syncing my code with dropbox. this machine is a real treat to work on. it's exciting to hit super-w or super-t and have the window pop up instantaneously. the litttle acer took a few seconds. while the other machine kept me focused on one job, especially if i was running matlab, this machine lets me work on several tasks, which i have to say is pretty nice. the only downside is that this laptop is waaaaaay heavier than the acer and the battery life is terrible. but that has nothing to do with #!.

still loving #!

#8 2013-09-24 16:23:13

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Hey, estevaz -- judging by the age of your "new" hardware, you can probably get a new battery for relatively cheap (if that's an issue for you).

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#9 2013-09-24 19:01:11

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

Good stuff mate - keep *bangin'.

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

Board footer