SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-07 11:40:20

swintendo

windows just won't go away!

I tried searching for a solution in the searchbar but sadly i only find xp-#! DUAL BOOT questions and issues.

After using the live version, i tried to install crunchbang on my eee901 with a usb stick, it didn't want to work no matter what, it kept asking about some stupid cd-rom install thing. I searched for solutions and found them here, but sadly i'm a total linux noob and i couldn't understand any of it.

Anyway i burned it on a dvd with my handy external dvdrom player and it booted perfectly. I ran the noob install where they decide everything for you, i only removed the swap since i don't want that (ssd lifespan). It went very fast.

After the install it asks me something about grub, i don't know what that is so i said yes. Then it rebooted, and all i get to see is ''Windows could not start because the following file... blablabla''.

Yes i thought i REMOVED windows and FORMATTED the whole 4gb ssd so it would vanish from existence. Turns out there's still some windows xp ghost haunting me and trying to boot, while my crunchbang install gets ignored? And i don't see any grub menu that everyone seems to be talking about either. I did the install twice (answered 'no' to grub) with the same result. What's up with this?

(If you do, please try to linux-talk like you're talking to a caveman)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-09-07 12:02:38

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Re: windows just won't go away!

If you are certain you don't want Windows :-

Using the 'live' disk, open a terminal & enter :-

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
(press enter/return)

That will clear out the boot sector of your hard drive (SSD).

Then try installing Crunchbang.

Use manual partitioning, select your disk, create a new dos partitioning scheme, if asked, then create one new partition, (best to select ext4 file system), then accept the defaults for the rest, apart from set the boot flag to yes. When it asks if you would like to go back & create a swap partition, just say no, & continue with the installation. When it asks where to put the grub boot loader, select mbr.

Then it should tell you to reboot without the install media, & hopefully, you will now boot into your new O/S.

[Hope I've explained it clearly enough, I do all this automatically these days.  smile ]

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#3 2013-09-07 16:16:38

swintendo

With the live disk, do you mean the usb live boot? or open a terminal on the install dvd (i don't know how to do that)? i tried it on the live usb boot and reinstalled like you said, and it doesn't work, still tells me it can't find windows files.

after your code line it said

1+0 records in
1+0 records out
512 bytes (512 B) copied 0.00266372 s, 192 kB/s

if that helps

#4 2013-09-07 18:47:30

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Oooo oooo ooo GOODDDD oooGGGG yamamyammer !!! What ? You said talk like a caveperson ? I thought that was a pretty respectable impersonation. tongue

Check bios and see if this is a UEFI thing. You must know how to enter bios am sure, since you've set it to boot from usb and dvd already. If it's a UEFI thing try selecting legacy mode in bios. I am not the person to ask about UEFI. A bit of forum searching or googling should help, if none of the kewl crunchers show up and clarify. Though guess that doesn't make sense either ... since you're talking about XP.

How in de heel did you manage to squeeze a M$ OS onto 4gbs .. even XP !?!?! Is that the only drive ? Do you have the boot priority set right in bios ? I mean with that SSD drive 1st ? So the pc knows to look there for the OS ? Just some thoughts ... hopefully helpful, probably not. If you've already installed grub to mbr with the installer. Seems like something else is going on.

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-09-07 18:59:09)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#5 2013-09-11 07:17:36

swintendo

I didn't find any UEFI settings. The xp install is Tinyxp, someone abandoned it on my doorstep.

Anyone else have any clue? I know it's possible on an eee 901 and i really don't want to go back to windows.

#6 2013-09-11 07:55:02

fatmac
#! Die Hard

swintendo wrote:

With the live disk, do you mean the usb live boot? or open a terminal on the install dvd (i don't know how to do that)? i tried it on the live usb boot and reinstalled like you said, and it doesn't work, still tells me it can't find windows files.

after your code line it said

1+0 records in
1+0 records out
512 bytes (512 B) copied 0.00266372 s, 192 kB/s

if that helps

Well, you did right with my code, as that states it wrote one block out which it was supposed to do. that means it has cleared out the MBR, which is where the base start code & partitioning information is stored.

Not sure why you are getting anything to do with Windows (!?)

So let us overwite the whole disk this time :-

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M

This may take a little while to do, but will zero out the first hard disk in your system, so we can start from a clean disk.

Use your CD/DVD live preferably, just in case your disk is not sda, you will get a message to that effect if it is not the right designation.

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

Board footer