SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-09-01 20:23:07

GekkoP
#! Junkie
Website

Re: How we moderate your forum - feedback encouraged

Frankly, this is the best forum/community I've come across in over 10 years of forums. Keep it like this, admins/moderators.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#27 2013-09-01 20:57:58

ew
#! Die Hard

First, voluntering your free time to moderate this forum is highly appreciated, and I think the mods are doing a great job as far as I can see. I wasn`t here when Bobobex posted the forum etiquette, so I can not say whether or not that was necessary at that time. But for the most part I think the practice today is reasonable.

But of course, I wouldn`t be me unless I have  a few things I`m not 100% agreeing with, and I can mention a couple of those things...

Rant-threads aren`t always a bad thing. A forum can very quickly become to quiet without someone creating activity in the threads, regardless whether or not it`s on topic. Even skilled linux-users can get bored by just hanging here to answer questions in a serious way. One day we`re serious, the next day we may just be kidding around, but personally I feel that there has to be a tolerance of this. The worst kind of people are those that always are serious. Who want`s to hang with them?

Another thing, why stop threads about MS vs Linux vs OSX, or IE vs FF vs Chrome, or whatever. We all know what those kinds of threads ends up in.  Nothing useful. But what`s wrong with that? It attracts people to the forum, and some of them are also able to be serious now and then. To a certain degree I think that all activity is of the good, as long as it`s not directly mailicious or bashful. But that`s just me. I would have loved thousands of post every day. Some of them may have been just bull, but so what. Bull is also fun sometimes:)

As for the substances, I wouldn`t take it to seriously. So what if someone is talking about weed or puffing a joint. As Toby said it, " I will never smoke weed with Willie again", but at the same time, I`m a grown up and can handle that other people are doing it. When it comes to harder substances, then I would shut it down. But that`s just me.

Both you and Vastone are doing a very good job. Don`t take this as critique, but just as a result of me being quite liberal in most areas, and it`s needless to say that I`ve always had a issue with authority. The good news though, is that I respect the authority if I feel it deserves respect, and in your and Vast`s case, you both deserve my utmost respect. You`re awesome smile

- apt-mark hold account

#28 2013-09-01 21:03:48

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

^ What about Larry? You don't respect him?  devil

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres
Github

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#29 2013-09-01 21:26:13

saneks
#! Die Hard

as a long-time member of this forum, I want to thank the mods, both past and present, papanominal & bobobex and the community here for making it a place where one really likes to be. My post count may be not so high in relation to how long I've been around, but I check out the active posts almost every day and enjoy the atmosphere on this board since 4 years now.

but I probably missed the bad mood last year that some people talked about.. was that during summer when I worked so much?

sure, with more users the daily posts will rise, and we might not want to find help requests drowned and pushed down by uber-silly offtopic area threads and fanboy-wars, but I feel most of the time we are quite sensible and balanced with what we post. and new users that read a bit will get the hang of how things run here.. 

the active offtopic area sure adds a lot to the atmosphere.. I am probably one of those forum members that likes to post there just to be around and show some sign of life, while usually I can provide basic help only in tech support..  but at least I can point to topics where newbie-questions have been asked before.. I try to keep it balanced.. and I think most people get that balance.. but we need all that. both experts, tech-help (thanks to everyone who helped me here, means a lot to me) and also people who keeps up the good spirit and talk about music and drinks, even help out people in the community with personal issues, or prepare all the cookies for the introduction area..

this is the only linux forum where I regularly read and post. and I always felt most people are respectful to each other..   sure, sometimes we have some rants, but after a while here you get to know the personalities and their sense of humor..

you mods do an awesome job. I never felt you are too rigid. good job! (*applause*)

Last edited by saneks (2013-09-01 21:37:55)

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

#30 2013-09-01 22:32:57

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

From the user who have small number of posts, but who is constantly lurking and occasionally tries to help:

Let me just say that the '33% of reasons' of still staying on #! is because of this Forum ... one where I have no fear to ask any question, and where I learned a great deal about Debian/Linux inner workings ...
(sorry for my engRish, I am not native speaker, but I think/hope it can be understood)

Certain number of helpful users are what this forum has become. Too bad some of them - very knowledgeable ones - has left (seems to be, at least) ... but this is the reality, people change their priorities and/or interests, and no one is to be 'blamed'.

And for the mods: I have never seen such a civilized and patient and reasonable people on the internet up to now. My deepest compliments to all of you. (Except for the pvsage's ponies ... I find them ... well, 'disgusting' wink , for the lack of the better word ... but that's only me).

Keep up the good work! (Both mods and creator of the #!.)

As for the mods rules, I have no complains, do not change anything. And PM seems to be good way for the reconsideration of the problematic 'closings' and 'bans'. Personally, I would have much less patience - I would have closed some topics long time before (for example, topic about 'Ideas for Janice' which should by now be renamed 'Whining about software I like, and not installed by default' devil ... that's why I would never be a good mod).

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#31 2013-09-01 22:42:05

ew
#! Die Hard

Unia wrote:

Sure, but I`ve not had so much to do with him. The one I`ve had most interaction with is Vastone, who helped me a number of times as a linux-newbie, and in a way that didn`t make me feel stupid or lame. So I have the utmost respect for him, both as a teacher and as a human being. If it wasn`t for Vastone I could have quitted Linux before I even got started. This is just to be serious for once. I will not make a habbit of it  tongue

- apt-mark hold account

#32 2013-09-01 22:47:47

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Unia wrote:

Any good words about the moderators, in my opinion, are good words for all the moderators. So while I'm not mentioned personally, I know the spirit behind what is said is aimed at all of us.

I've purposely stayed out of the discussion for a reason. I'd prefer to hear what everyone else thinks, and as many have already stated, this is an excellent discussion. Thank you, all.

While I would be open to amending it if that's the will of the community, I think Bobobex's forum etiquitte statement is solid in its current state, and is greatly responsible for making this forum the great place it is. I also think that in comparison to other distro and FOSS program forums, ours is very flexible and usually gives a wide berth to folks in letting their hair down, so to speak. This, of course, bit us on the proverbial butt in the incident(s) which spawned the forum etiquitte statement in the first place, and I think it has worked well to keep things moving in the right direction since then.

One more thing that has come up in the past that I'd like to address again. Some have suggested incorrectly that moderators operate on some sort of higher plane or have some sort of "superior status" in the forums than others, and that's not true. The only difference between mods and non-mods is that moderators have added responsibilities/duties. That's it. I've written about it in blog items twice. Here:

http://larrythecrunchbangguy.wordpress. … s-or-gals/

And here:

http://larrythecrunchbangguy.wordpress. … on-things/

Thanks again, everyone, for your feedback.

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#33 2013-09-01 22:51:39

ew
#! Die Hard

iMBeCil wrote:

From the user who have small number of posts, but who is constantly lurking and occasionally tries to help:

And for the mods: I have never seen such a civilized and patient and reasonable people on the internet up to now. My deepest compliments to all of you. (Except for the pvsage's ponies ... I find them ... well, 'disgusting' wink , for the lack of the better word ... but that's only me).

Heeey, nothing wrong with the ponies. Just wait until I will start filling up the screenshots-threads with scrots of my new obsession for Pokemon....  Picaaaaachuuuu is coming to a screen near you....very soon... big_smile

I seriously hope that Pvsage doesn`t snatch this idea and run with it... tongue

- apt-mark hold account

#34 2013-09-01 23:00:28

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@ew:  I suppose my understanding of Pokemoniacs is about the same most have of Bronies, though as a Brony, I'm probably a bit more tolerant. monkey  (I was going to post a "mods are asleep - post Pokemon" image, but apparently that never became a meme. hmm )

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#35 2013-09-01 23:16:43

ew
#! Die Hard

pvsage wrote:

@ew:  I suppose my understanding of Pokemoniacs is about the same most have of Bronies, though as a Brony, I'm probably a bit more tolerant. monkey  (I was going to post a "mods are asleep - post Pokemon" image, but apparently that never became a meme. hmm )

HEHE. ROFL lol  You never know. I`m searching for wallpapers now. I can expand my search to include pokemon... hehe, but probably not...

- apt-mark hold account

#36 2013-09-02 04:18:31

pressanykey

Ok, per your request for views from a new member (1 week)..

I like the way the forum is organized and I like the topics. I like that there is a separate WM/DE Talk topic. And that help forums are divided between stable and non-stable...

I appreciate how I was welcomed as a new member with my initial "Hi" post! I even left with a very fitting avatar from another member (many thanks, by the way!)

I've scrolled through the more recent posts and I haven't seen malicious attacks.. I've seen intelligent questions followed with swift replies that were offered with care and without preaching..

As far as content rules and sanctions, I don't know. I always try to post as if my identity were known - that I wasn't anonymous. And, careful not to use language specific to a region (or to use colloquialisms).

In short, I find #! and its forums and its members fantastic!! I like!

#37 2013-09-02 07:01:36

daggoth

I'm not a frequent poster, but I do lurk here often- typically in the screenshots thread.

I do basically agree with bobobex's guidelines - it is common sense stuff for most people. And I believe the current moderators do a good job. So there is no obvious need for big changes.

Indeed the sentiment here is mostly friendly. On other forums, I am sometimes bugged by the prevalent rtfm culture - tactless. But the crunchforums have somehow manage to cultivate a gentler approach.  So y'all must be doing something right...

#38 2013-09-02 23:22:18

ew
#! Die Hard

@daggoth

One of the reasons why this forum is nicer, is that the most skilled people in here aren`t as full of themselves as the "experts" at other forums, which tends to leave anyone that asks a question, with the feeling of being incredibly stupid. That is if they at all degrade themselves to answer. Most of the times they chop your head of just by asking a question that might already have an answer in a thread somewhere among thousands of threads...

In those forums it can get ugly, because the "experts" creates one of two possible reactions. They either scare people away, or they make them pissed. The first one is sad, but the last one is a problem for any forum. You don`t get a good vibe on a forum filled with people that are pissed at the people who should help and mentor them.

I myself have stumbled across some "linux-gurus" that are sorry excuses for human beings. Not at this forum or distro, though. Who and where can remain unknown. Expecting me to be extremely humble and submissive just because they have developed something. That`s in direct conflict with our norwegian culture where we don`t accept anyone thinking that they are any better than anyone else. People are people regardless, and as I don`t expect or want anyone to bow for me, I sure as hell won`t bow for some self-proclaimed expert at a linux  or windows-forum. They can kiss me where the sun never shines, to put it nicely  angel

Last edited by ew (2013-09-02 23:25:17)

- apt-mark hold account

#39 2013-09-03 02:26:30

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

ew wrote:

As for the substances, I wouldn`t take it to seriously. So what if someone is talking about weed or puffing a joint. As Toby said it, " I will never smoke weed with Willie again", but at the same time, I`m a grown up and can handle that other people are doing it. When it comes to harder substances, then I would shut it down. But that`s just me.

In general, I agree with most of your response with the exception of the part I've included above.

01) Not everyone reading the forums is a "grown up" (adult 18 or older).

02) Some of the subjects off limits are for the good of CrunchBang in general.  If the off limit topics were allowed, such topics could possibly invite unwarranted attention, if you catch my drift.  I don't think Core wants to devote what little resources he does have to have to deal with any unwarranted attention.

#40 2013-09-03 04:22:34

johnraff
nullglob
Website

KrunchTime wrote:

Some of the subjects off limits are for the good of CrunchBang in general.  If the off limit topics were allowed, such topics could possibly invite unwarranted attention, if you catch my drift.  I don't think Core wants to devote what little resources he does have to have to deal with any unwarranted attention.

I think this is the point. I personally don't care about someone puffing on a joint, but if they were in my house blowing smoke out of the window and talking about it in a loud voice so the neighbours could hear, then I'd have to ask them (politely of course) to stop.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator

#41 2013-09-03 05:35:49

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@KrunchTime; johnraff:  It sounds like you and I are on the same page, with this forum being our "house".  It's been a while since we've had to deal with such discussions (other than the occasional person commenting about how, for example, their present altered state may be influencing a reaction to a posted screenshot, or (personal example) how high they'd have to be to enjoy a particular movie; thankfully most of these remain ignored).  If I were to see a new thread advocating any substance use, I think my course of action would be to close the thread as quickly as possible, point to bobobex's forum etiquette/policy post, and gently encourage the OP and anyone else interested is such matters to find Erowid or other forums devoted to substance use.

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#42 2013-09-03 07:07:45

bleach
#! Member

it is always good to look at forums rules for it is not always prevelent depending on where one resides. laws are different everywhere even if some of them coinside. the net is world wide and must use the laws in the nation it is in. Netiquette is also I good thing to go by and I like how these forums give a reminder of "Be excellent to each other" which I find to be nice.

Personally I have found not but good people here; with any comunity there will be heated discussions based on opinion. The beauty of an opinion is that every one has them and in there differences there is contrast.

I have yet to see anything bad or spam for much time at all I say this says a lot of the moderators. There is also discernment in a unbiast manor which I have found incredebly fluent and action dependent on the situation.

imo great job.

obstacles are only in your mind. how you deal with them is what "matters".

#43 2013-09-03 09:43:18

Hy
#! Member

It's all good. Gotta have rules  smile

~ #! Another satisfied customer #! ~

#44 2013-09-03 13:13:28

snowpine
#!-a-roo

Family-friendly hugs for the mods!  kiss

/hugged

#45 2013-09-03 17:22:27

ew
#! Die Hard

KrunchTime wrote:
ew wrote:

In general, I agree with most of your response with the exception of the part I've included above.

01) Not everyone reading the forums is a "grown up" (adult 18 or older).

02) Some of the subjects off limits are for the good of CrunchBang in general.  If the off limit topics were allowed, such topics could possibly invite unwarranted attention, if you catch my drift.  I don't think Core wants to devote what little resources he does have to have to deal with any unwarranted attention.

I see your point, I only think that some common sense is needed in this mather. It doesn`t have to be all or nothing. For me it has much to do with the context it is written in, and if it is written in a jokeful tone.... I don`t want this forum to go all Dutch either..., but quite frankly, I can`t see that people looking for those things would hang here... It`s not like there`s a lack of places to talk about that stuff.

- apt-mark hold account

#46 2013-09-03 17:36:38

ew
#! Die Hard

pvsage wrote:

@KrunchTime; johnraff:  It sounds like you and I are on the same page, with this forum being our "house".  It's been a while since we've had to deal with such discussions (other than the occasional person commenting about how, for example, their present altered state may be influencing a reaction to a posted screenshot, or (personal example) how high they'd have to be to enjoy a particular movie; thankfully most of these remain ignored).  If I were to see a new thread advocating any substance use, I think my course of action would be to close the thread as quickly as possible, point to bobobex's forum etiquette/policy post, and gently encourage the OP and anyone else interested is such matters to find Erowid or other forums devoted to substance use.

I don`t disagree, but there`s a difference between advocating substance use, and making a joke, or a way of speach... There`s really no difference between saying "you got to be drunk/wasted/high/stoned/insane to like this and that..." It means exactly the same regardless...

- apt-mark hold account

#47 2013-09-03 17:37:52

intoCB
Scatweasel

Moderation like many things is only good in moderation. If it becomes excessive, it's not really moderation anymore. It's excess. And who ever heard of a forum being run (successfully) with excess?

I don't think "Anything goes" needs to be qualified. In the same way that "Make yourself at home" said to a best friend doesn't really need to be qualified and could not reasonably be seen as a queue for him/her (ok, him) to pee in your sink, even if that's what he does at home.

Last edited by intoCB (2013-09-03 17:41:41)

♪ Debian, soon in the morning ♪

#48 2013-09-03 18:43:08

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

ew wrote:

I don`t want this forum to go all Dutch either...

Hey! Nothing wrong with being Dutch!  big_smile

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres
Github

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#49 2013-09-03 19:14:23

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

intoCB wrote:

Moderation like many things is only good in moderation. If it becomes excessive, it's not really moderation anymore. It's excess. And who ever heard of a forum being run (successfully) with excess?

I don't think "Anything goes" needs to be qualified. In the same way that "Make yourself at home" said to a best friend doesn't really need to be qualified and could not reasonably be seen as a queue for him/her (ok, him) to pee in your sink, even if that's what he does at home.

Standing ....clap clap clap! Well said!

"Make yourself at home" at my house means - "You know where the kitchen is, get your own coffee, and get your feet off my 6th century Ming vase!"

In other words, relax and enjoy but respect the surroundings and other people present!

Be excellent to each other!

#50 2013-09-03 19:27:52

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

Unia wrote:
ew wrote:

I don`t want this forum to go all Dutch either...

Hey! Nothing wrong with being Dutch!  big_smile

being Dutch or going Dutch ... interesting ... how language / meanings differ.

Example: It's Greek to me. means I don't understand it.... and not something I would say in front of a Greek person.  Some however have no qualms saying it. Like TeoBigusGeekus., and he's Greek which shows how comfortable he is with himself.  Super guy!

Going Dutch in English means we split the bill in a restaurant, each paying our own portion. Unia I'd love to go Dutch with you in the Netherlands, reading the menus - they are all Greek, to me and I could use your help!  angel

Board footer