SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-08-28 21:35:09

cobaltwolfe
#! CrunchBanger

Re: Upgrading to Sid {SOLVED}

I'll say one thing I've always had better luck with Wicd than nm. I have not tried ceni is out worth it?
The other question I have is it worth upgrading to the newer kernels? Was reading something that Torvalds is getting quite annoyed with what the people have been sending him as far as them.

Edit: so on another note I'm currently installing the mate desktop (mixed repos) and its pulling things from all over the place. Most of the stuff is coming from the sid repos.

Also its still trying to remove most of that stuff like it has been wanting to for the past few days. Here is the question what if I was to do each individual item piece by piece? would that be a way around it removing Xorg and the rest of it?

Last edited by cobaltwolfe (2013-08-28 23:18:56)

"Alles brennt wenn die Flamme ist heiß genug, die Welt ist nichts aber ein tiegel"
Translation:
"Everything burns if the flame is hot enough, The world is nothing but a crucible."

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#27 2013-08-28 23:38:18

ew
#! Die Hard

I guess it depends. To me it`s well worth it to get the latest kernels, because my hardware isn`t properly supported in the old ones. Another reason is "systemd". It`s really no improvement at all on the old kernels, so if you want to install systemd and benefit by faster boot-times and instant shutdown, then you need a newer kernel.

As for WICD, it`s fine. Ceni is also fine, but requires a tiny bit more skill. But it`s not so complicated that it should scare anyone..., it`s still fairly easy to use...

Last edited by ew (2013-08-28 23:38:57)

- apt-mark hold account

#28 2013-08-28 23:47:02

cobaltwolfe
#! CrunchBanger

ew wrote:

I guess it depends. To me it`s well worth it to get the latest kernels, because my hardware isn`t properly supported in the old ones. Another reason is "systemd". It`s really no improvement at all on the old kernels, so if you want to install systemd and benefit by faster boot-times and instant shutdown, then you need a newer kernel.

As for WICD, it`s fine. Ceni is also fine, but requires a tiny bit more skill. But it`s not so complicated that it should scare anyone..., it`s still fairly easy to use...

This is really good to know. As of right now having instant shutdown would be amazing. I've got MATE running incredibly well (I've missed the classic gnome look tbh). I'll look into getting "systemd" and see what can be found. Are there certain repos I should add in order to get the newer kernals?

"Alles brennt wenn die Flamme ist heiß genug, die Welt ist nichts aber ein tiegel"
Translation:
"Everything burns if the flame is hot enough, The world is nothing but a crucible."

#29 2013-08-29 00:09:02

ew
#! Die Hard

cobaltwolfe wrote:
ew wrote:

This is really good to know. As of right now having instant shutdown would be amazing. I've got MATE running incredibly well (I've missed the classic gnome look tbh). I'll look into getting "systemd" and see what can be found. Are there certain repos I should add in order to get the newer kernals?

MATE? Linux Mint? Ubuntu-based? I belive they use "upstart" instead, so I don`t know if "systemd" can be implemented there.

- apt-mark hold account

#30 2013-08-29 00:25:23

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

The MATE DE started out as a Mint project but now supports multiple distros. According to the 1.6 release notes they have now included:

Systemd-logind support:
Added support for systemd-logind in mate-session-manager, mate-screensaver and mate-power-manager (now you can reboot/shutdown without ConsoleKit)

#! forum moderator

#31 2013-08-29 03:34:25

cobaltwolfe
#! CrunchBanger

So installed the newest kernel (found in Sid Repo) and then installed systemd. The interesting thing is that it does shut down much faster yet boot seems to take longer than the 3.2 kernel originally installed.

on another note I was wondering if the liquorix kernel is still considered a good one to use.

Again sorry for all the q phone is primary internet so horrible for typing and trying to find massive amounts of info.

Translation:

#32 2013-08-29 07:33:50

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

cobaltwolfe wrote:

Here is the question what if I was to do each individual item piece by piece? would that be a way around it removing Xorg and the rest of it?

Your suggested method might be a work around.  Your method is what I use when new/updated installs might cause breakage.  The downside to the method is that it can take a long time.  I just went through the exercise the other day and spent 5 hours (200+ packages) installing and purging separate packages.  It had been awhile since I performed an aptitude full-upgrade.  I'm thinking there must be an easier way to selectively install/purge those packages that don't result in breakage.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2013-08-29 07:34:35)

#33 2013-08-29 08:31:59

Naik
#! Die Hard

someone from the Debian-user-forum gave me some advice that may be helpful here too:

craigevil wrote:

1) Never ever mix Stable and Sid.
2) perl is presently broken in sid
3) Now your system is broken
4) [...]

Lesson learned hopefully.

i come to think that unstable is rather .. unstable some times wink
is there any possible chance to just wait untill dependencies in the apps are fixed and reinstall stuff then?

greetz -naik

Last edited by Naik (2013-08-29 11:21:06)

*kaum macht man es richtig, funktioniert es sofort*

#34 2013-08-29 13:10:50

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

29 Aug 2013 - Debian SID (no Stable) still broken ...

59 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 79 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 50.7 MB of archives.
After this operation, 52.5 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] 

Say "n"o and wait another day.

of the 79 to be removed: xorg and related xorg video files.

Last edited by Sector11 (2013-08-29 13:11:47)

To #! or not to #! that is the question!
#! Conky = 13 Threads & the Conky Archives | Conky PitStop | OHCG'er
#! Forum Moderator   |   StartPage -  protect your privacy   |   BBQ Linux

#35 2013-08-29 19:13:12

cobaltwolfe
#! CrunchBanger

I think we have some progress!
Added the Siduction repos to a new file labeled

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/siduction.list

of which the file looks like this.

##Siduction
#Base
deb http://packages.siduction.org/base unstable main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://packages.siduction.org/base unstable main contrib non-free

##Siduction
#Extra
deb http://packages.siduction.org/extra unstable main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://packages.siduction.org/extra unstable main contrib non-free

##Siduction
#Fixes
deb http://packages.siduction.org/fixes unstable main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://packages.siduction.org/fixes unstable main contrib non-free

##Siduction
#Experiemental
#deb http://packages.siduction.org/experimental unstable main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://packages.siduction.org/experimental unstable main contrib non-free

Which leaves doing dist-upgrade seen below.

shaman@companioncube:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  debconf-i18n geany-plugin-gdb libaudit0 libcairo-perl libfile-fcntllock-perl libglib-perl
  libgtk2-perl libnet-dbus-perl libpango-perl libperl5.14 libpurple0 libsocket-perl
  libtext-charwidth-perl libtext-wrapi18n-perl pidgin pidgin-skype pidgin-skype-common
  ttf-droid xchat
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  cpp-4.8 dh-python fonts-dejavu-core g++-4.8 gcc-4.8 gcc-4.8-base geany-plugin-devhelp
  geany-plugin-geniuspaste geany-plugin-miniscript geany-plugin-multiterm gnupg-agent
  gnupg2 init-system-helpers iproute2 libarchive13 libasan0 libasound2-data libassuan0
  libatomic1 libaudit-common libaudit1 libavcodec54 libavformat54 libavutil52 libbind9-90
  libboost-iostreams1.54.0 libcloog-isl4 libcolorhug1 libdconf1 libdns99 libdrm-nouveau2
  libdvbpsi8 libee0 libestr0 libfftw3-double3 libfftw3-single3 libgcc-4.7-dev
  libgcc-4.8-dev libgcr-base-3-1 libgcr-ui-3-1 libgd3 libgnome-bluetooth11
  libgnutls-openssl27 libgoa-1.0-0 libgoa-1.0-common libio-html-perl libisc95 libisccc90
  libisccfg90 libisl10 libjson-c2 libjson-glib-1.0-0 libjson-glib-1.0-common libksba8
  liblognorm0 liblwres90 libmnl0 libmozjs23d libmpc3 libnet-smtp-ssl-perl
  libopencore-amrnb0 libopencore-amrwb0 libprocps1 libpulsedsp libpython-stdlib
  libpython2.7-minimal libpython2.7-stdlib libpython3-stdlib libpython3.3-minimal
  libpython3.3-stdlib librest-0.7-0 libstdc++-4.8-dev libtasn1-6 libtevent0 libudisks2-0
  libx264-133 libxdo3 libxfce4util6 libxtables10 p11-kit pinentry-gtk2 python-six python3
  python3-apt python3-aptdaemon python3-dbus python3-defer python3-gi python3-minimal
  python3-pkg-resources python3.3 python3.3-minimal udisks2 xserver-xorg-input-mouse
  xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse xulrunner-23.0
The following packages will be upgraded:
  acl alsa-base alsa-utils amd64-microcode apt apt-utils apt-xapian-index aptdaemon
  aptdaemon-data aptitude aptitude-common arandr arj b43-fwcutter base-files base-passwd
  bash bc bind9-host binutils bluez bsdmainutils bsdutils build-essential busybox bzip2
  ca-certificates cabextract clipit colord conky-all console-setup console-setup-linux
  coreutils cpio cpp cpp-4.7 cryptsetup-bin curl dbus dbus-x11 dconf-gsettings-backend
  dconf-service debconf debconf-utils debianutils desktop-base desktop-file-utils
  dictionaries-common diffutils dmidecode dmsetup dnsmasq-base dosfstools dpkg dpkg-dev
  e2fslibs e2fsprogs enchant evince evince-common exo-utils fakeroot file file-roller
  findutils firmware-b43-installer firmware-ipw2x00 firmware-iwlwifi firmware-linux
  firmware-linux-nonfree firmware-ralink firmware-realtek fontconfig fonts-droid
  fonts-liberation fortune-mod fortunes-min ftp fuse g++ g++-4.7 galculator gcc gcc-4.7
  gcc-4.7-base gconf-service gconf2 gconf2-common gcr gdb gdbserver gdebi gdebi-core geany
  geany-common geany-plugin-addons geany-plugin-codenav geany-plugin-debugger
  geany-plugin-doc geany-plugin-extrasel geany-plugin-gendoc geany-plugin-gproject
  geany-plugin-insertnum geany-plugin-latex geany-plugin-lipsum geany-plugin-lua
  geany-plugin-macro geany-plugin-numberedbookmarks geany-plugin-pg
  geany-plugin-prettyprinter geany-plugin-prj geany-plugin-sendmail
  geany-plugin-shiftcolumn geany-plugin-spellcheck geany-plugin-tableconvert
  geany-plugin-treebrowser geany-plugin-updatechecker geany-plugin-vc
  geany-plugin-webhelper geany-plugin-xmlsnippets geany-plugins geany-plugins-common
  geoip-database gettext-base ghostscript gir1.2-atk-1.0 gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0
  gir1.2-gnomebluetooth-1.0 gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gir1.2-pango-1.0 gir1.2-vte-2.90 gnome-bluetooth
  gnome-icon-theme gnome-keyring gnupg gparted gpgv grep groff-base grub-common grub-pc
  grub-pc-bin grub2-common gvfs gvfs-backends gvfs-bin gvfs-common gvfs-daemons gvfs-fuse
  gvfs-libs gzip hdparm hostname hsetroot htop iceweasel ifupdown info initscripts
  install-info intel-microcode iproute iptables iputils-ping isc-dhcp-client
  isc-dhcp-common iso-codes iucode-tool jfsutils kbd keyboard-configuration klibc-utils
  krb5-locales less libaa1 libaacs0 libacl1 libalgorithm-diff-perl
  libalgorithm-diff-xs-perl libapt-inst1.5 libapt-pkg4.12 libasound2 libasound2-plugins
  libasprintf0c2 libatasmart4 libatkmm-1.6-1 libattr1 libaudclient2 libaudio2 libavcodec53
  libavformat53 libavutil51 libbind9-80 libblkid1 libbluetooth3 libbonobo2-0
  libbonobo2-common libboost-iostreams1.49.0 libbsd0 libbz2-1.0 libc-bin libc-dev-bin libc6
  libc6-dev libc6-i686 libcairo-gobject2 libcairo2 libcanberra-gtk3-0
  libcanberra-gtk3-module libcanberra0 libcap-ng0 libcdaudio1 libcdparanoia0
  libclass-isa-perl libcomerr2 libcroco3 libcryptsetup4 libctpl2 libcurl3 libcurl3-gnutls
  libdatrie1 libdb5.1 libdbus-1-3 libdc1394-22 libdca0 libdevmapper-event1.02.1
  libdevmapper1.02.1 libdjvulibre-text libdjvulibre21 libdns88 libdpkg-perl libdrm-intel1
  libdrm-radeon1 libdrm2 libdvdnav4 libdvdread4 libedit2 libenca0 libenchant1c2a
  libevdocument3-4 libevent-2.0-5 libevview3-3 libexif12 libexo-1-0 libexo-common
  libexo-helpers libexpat1 libfftw3-3 libfile-mimeinfo-perl libflac8 libflite1 libfontenc1
  libfribidi0 libfs6 libfuse2 libgarcon-1-0 libgarcon-common libgcc1 libgck-1-0
  libgconf-2-4 libgconf2-4 libgcr-3-1 libgcr-3-common libgcrypt11 libgdbm3 libgeoclue0
  libgeoip1 libgfortran3 libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx libglapi-mesa libglib2.0-data
  libglibmm-2.4-1c2a libglu1-mesa libgmp10 libgnome-keyring-common libgnome-keyring0
  libgnome2-0 libgnome2-common libgnomevfs2-0 libgnomevfs2-common libgnomevfs2-extra
  libgnutls26 libgomp1 libgpg-error0 libgpgme11 libgphoto2-2 libgphoto2-l10n
  libgphoto2-port0 libgpm2 libgs9 libgs9-common libgssapi-krb5-2 libgtk2.0-common
  libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a libgtkmm-3.0-1 libgusb2 libgxps2 libhtml-parser-perl
  libhttp-message-perl libidn11 libieee1284-3 libio-socket-ip-perl libio-socket-ssl-perl
  libisc84 libisccc80 libisccfg82 libitm1 libjack-jackd2-0 libjasper1
  libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0-0 libjson0 libk5crypto3 libkeybinder0 libkeyutils1 libklibc
  libkpathsea6 libkrb5-3 libkrb5support0 liblapack3 liblocale-gettext-perl libltdl7
  liblua5.1-0 liblvm2app2.2 liblwp-protocol-https-perl liblwres80 liblzo2-2 libmad0
  libmagic1 libmagickcore5 libmagickwand5 libmailtools-perl libmhash2 libmimic0 libmount1
  libmpeg2-4 libmpfr4 libmtdev1 libmtp-common libmtp-runtime libmtp9
  libnautilus-extension1a libncurses5 libncursesw5 libnet-http-perl libnet-ssleay-perl
  libnetfilter-conntrack3 libnettle4 libnewt0.52 libnfnetlink0 libnl-3-200 libnl-genl-3-200
  libnl-route-3-200 libnm-glib-vpn1 libnm-gtk-common libnm-gtk0 libnotify-bin libnotify4
  libnspr4 libnss3 libogg0 libopenobex1 libopts25 libopus0 libp11-kit0 libpam-gnome-keyring
  libpam-modules libpam-modules-bin libpam-runtime libpam0g libpangomm-1.4-1
  libparted0debian1 libpcap0.8 libpci3 libpciaccess0 libpcre3 libpcsclite1 libpipeline1
  libpixman-1-0 libpkcs11-helper1 libpng12-0 libpoppler-glib8 libpoppler19 libpostproc52
  libprocps0 libpth20 libpulse-mainloop-glib0 libpulse0 libpython2.7 libquadmath0
  libraptor2-0 librasqal3 libraw1394-11 librdf0 libreadline5 librsvg2-2 librsvg2-common
  librtmp0 libsane libsane-common libsane-extras libsane-extras-common libsasl2-2
  libsasl2-modules libsdl-image1.2 libsdl1.2debian libselinux1 libsemanage-common
  libsemanage1 libsepol1 libsgutils2-2 libshout3 libsmbclient libsndfile1 libsoundtouch0
  libsoup-gnome2.4-1 libspandsp2 libsqlite3-0 libss2 libssh2-1 libssl1.0.0
  libstartup-notification0 libstdc++6 libstdc++6-4.7-dev libswscale2 libsystemd-daemon0
  libsystemd-id128-0 libsystemd-journal0 libsystemd-login0 libtag1-vanilla libtag1c2a
  libtagc0 libtalloc2 libtar0 libtasn1-3 libtdb1 libtext-iconv-perl libthai-data libthai0
  libthunarx-2-0 libtie-ixhash-perl libtiff4 libtinfo5 libtumbler-1-0 libupower-glib1
  libusb-0.1-4 libusb-1.0-0 libuuid-perl libuuid1 libv4l-0 libv4lconvert0 libva-x11-1
  libva1 libvlc5 libvlccore5 libvo-aacenc0 libvo-amrwbenc0 libvpx1 libvte-2.90-9
  libvte-2.90-common libwbclient0 libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 libwebkitgtk-1.0-common libwww-perl
  libx11-6 libx11-data libx11-xcb1 libxapian22 libxau6 libxaw7 libxcb-composite0
  libxcb-dri2-0 libxcb-glx0 libxcb-randr0 libxcb-render0 libxcb-shape0 libxcb-shm0
  libxcb-xfixes0 libxcb-xv0 libxcb1 libxcomposite1 libxcursor1 libxdamage1 libxext6
  libxfce4ui-1-0 libxfce4util-bin libxfce4util-common libxfconf-0-2 libxfixes3 libxfont1
  libxft2 libxi6 libxinerama1 libxml-parser-perl libxmmsclient6 libxnvctrl0 libxrandr2
  libxrender1 libxres1 libxslt1.1 libxt6 libxtst6 libxv1 libxvmc1 libxxf86dga1 libxxf86vm1
  libyajl2 libzbar0 libzvbi-common libzvbi0 linux-libc-dev logrotate lsb-base lsb-release
  lxappearance man-db manpages manpages-dev mesa-utils mime-support miscfiles
  mobile-broadband-provider-info mount multiarch-support murrine-themes nautilus-data
  ncurses-base ncurses-bin net-tools netbase network-manager network-manager-gnome
  network-manager-openvpn network-manager-openvpn-gnome network-manager-pptp
  network-manager-pptp-gnome network-manager-vpnc network-manager-vpnc-gnome nitrogen
  ntfs-3g ntp obexd-client openssh-client openssl openvpn os-prober patch pciutils perl
  perl-base perl-modules pm-utils poppler-data poppler-utils ppp procps psmisc pulseaudio
  pulseaudio-module-x11 pulseaudio-utils python python-apt python-apt-common
  python-aptdaemon python-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets python-dbus python-dbus-dev python-debian
  python-gobject python-gobject-2 python-keybinder python-minimal python-numpy
  python-pkg-resources python-pycurl python-xapian python-xdg python2.7 python2.7-minimal
  rsyslog samba-common samba-common-bin sane-utils screen sed sensible-utils sgml-data sudo
  synaptic systemd sysv-rc sysvinit sysvinit-utils tar tasksel tasksel-data tcl8.5
  terminator thunar thunar-archive-plugin thunar-data thunar-media-tags-plugin
  thunar-volman traceroute transmission-common transmission-gtk ttf-dejavu-core
  ttf-mscorefonts-installer tumbler tumbler-common tzdata ucf udisks unattended-upgrades
  unrar unzip upower usb-modeswitch usb-modeswitch-data usbutils user-setup util-linux
  uuid-runtime vbetool vim-common vim-tiny vlc vlc-data vlc-nox vlc-plugin-notify
  vlc-plugin-pulse wget whiptail whois wireless-regdb x11-apps x11-common x11-utils
  xbitmaps xdg-user-dirs xdg-utils xdotool xfburn xfce-keyboard-shortcuts xfce4-mixer
  xfce4-notifyd xfce4-panel xfce4-power-manager xfce4-power-manager-data
  xfce4-screenshooter xfconf xfsprogs xorg xsel xserver-common xserver-xorg
  xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-video-all xserver-xorg-video-ati
  xserver-xorg-video-fbdev xserver-xorg-video-geode xserver-xorg-video-intel
  xserver-xorg-video-nouveau xserver-xorg-video-openchrome xserver-xorg-video-radeon xterm
  zenity zenity-common zip zlib1g
672 upgraded, 96 newly installed, 19 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 389 MB/390 MB of archives.
After this operation, 131 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? 

So apparently there is something about the Siduction repos that it likes as its not trying to remove anything that I'm going to need. This seems interesting though unfortunately at the moment I don't have time to test this and see what happens.

Note: I've also removed the other repos I was using to install MATE which may have also have had an impact on such things.

Translation:

#36 2013-08-29 21:42:27

Naik
#! Die Hard

just waiting seems to work too if your system is allready corrupted:
the list is getting shorter!  big_smile

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  libcairo-perl: Depends: perlapi-5.14.2
  libfile-fcntllock-perl: Depends: perlapi-5.14.2
  libgtk2-perl: Depends: perlapi-5.14.2
  libmusicbrainz-discid-perl: Depends: perlapi-5.14.2
  libnet-dbus-perl: Depends: perlapi-5.14.2
  libnet-dns-perl: Depends: perlapi-5.14.2
  libpango-perl: Depends: perlapi-5.14.2
  libperl5.14: Depends: perl-base (= 5.14.2-21) but 5.18.1-2 is to be installed
  libsocket-perl: Depends: perlapi-5.14.2
E: Problems can not be corrected, you have held broken packages back.

edit: translated with google  roll

Last edited by Naik (2013-08-29 21:44:26)

#37 2013-08-29 22:43:59

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

Naik wrote:

edit: translated with google  roll

HEY!!!!  Google did well.

Yours is shorter than mine - however there is one thing in common: perl - it's broken

bum debsums hpijs hplip html2ps libaudit0 libcairo-perl libfile-fcntllock-perl libfile-fnmatch-perl
  libgstreamer-interfaces-perl libgstreamer-perl libgtk2-perl libhpmud0 libnet-dbus-perl libpango-perl libperl5.14
  libsane-hpaio libsnmp30 libsocket-perl libsvn-perl perlmagick printer-driver-hpcups printer-driver-hpijs
  printer-driver-postscript-hp xchat

I'll continue in waiting mode.

Last edited by Sector11 (2013-08-29 22:44:39)

To #! or not to #! that is the question!
#! Conky = 13 Threads & the Conky Archives | Conky PitStop | OHCG'er
#! Forum Moderator   |   StartPage -  protect your privacy   |   BBQ Linux

#38 2013-08-29 23:12:33

rumpel

I have some unmet dependencies, too. But just because I didn't cancel the upgrade fast enough. My list of packages that would get removed: libcairo-perl libemail-valid-perl libfile-fcntllock-perl libgtk2-perl
  libnet-dbus-perl libnet-dns-perl libpango-perl libperl5.14 libsocket-perl
  lintian xchat
Funny thing that apt-get wants to remove xchat. big_smile

#39 2013-08-29 23:31:09

ew
#! Die Hard

I`m on siduction kernel 3.10.9, and I have pinned sid at 1001, and siduction at 500. Dist upgrade only gives me a short list of apps to be removed, as seen below:

libaudit0 libfile-fcntllock-perl libgtk2-perl libnet-dbus-perl libpango-perl
  libperl5.14 libsocket-perl xchat

The only issue for me seems to be perl, unsure if I will go ahead with the upgrade. I`ll probably waiting until tomrrow and see if it`s ok then, otherwise I will just force it trough and handle the issues that I might get. But it`s hard to wait, I`m very tempted to say yes... ;D

One thing is sure, I will not do a regular update, because that list is a lot bigger as yous ee below:

ew@cb-animal-g580:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Building dependency tree       
The following packages have been kept back:
  libalgorithm-diff-xs-perl libapt-pkg-perl libasound2-plugins libcairo-perl
  libclone-perl libgegl-0.2-0 libglib-perl libhtml-parser-perl libio-pty-perl
  liblist-moreutils-perl liblocale-gettext-perl libnet-dns-perl
  libnet-ssleay-perl libpam-systemd libperlio-gzip-perl libsocket6-perl
  libsub-identify-perl libsub-name-perl libtext-charwidth-perl
  libtext-iconv-perl libuuid-perl libxml-parser-perl perl perl-base
  perl-modules systemd vlc vlc-nox vlc-plugin-notify vlc-plugin-pulse
  xserver-xorg-core
  base-passwd bind9-host binutils dmsetup evince evince-common
  fonts-liberation gnome-icon-theme grub-common grub-pc grub-pc-bin
  grub2-common libaudio2 libavutil52 libbind9-90 libc-bin libc-dev-bin libc6
  libc6-dbg libc6-dev libdevmapper-event1.02.1 libdevmapper1.02.1 libdns99
  libedit2 libevdocument3-4 libevview3-3 libisc95 libisccc90 libisccfg90
  libjson-c2 liblvm2app2.2 liblwres90 libmagickcore5 libmagickwand5
  libswscale2 libsystemd-daemon0 libsystemd-id128-0 libsystemd-journal0
  libsystemd-login0 libtiff-tools libtiff5 libupower-glib1 libvlc5 libvlccore5
  libvo-aacenc0 libvo-amrwbenc0 libwpd-0.9-9 libwxbase2.8-0 libwxgtk2.8-0
  libxmmsclient6 libzbar0 multiarch-support python-numpy python-wxgtk2.8
  python-wxtools python-wxversion upower vim-common vim-tiny
  xserver-xorg-video-intel
60 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 31 not upgraded.
Need to get 54.1 MB of archives.
After this operation, 1,614 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]  NOPE:)

Last edited by ew (2013-08-29 23:36:08)

- apt-mark hold account

#40 2013-08-29 23:38:01

ew
#! Die Hard

rumpel wrote:

I have some unmet dependencies, too. But just because I didn't cancel the upgrade fast enough. My list of packages that would get removed: libcairo-perl libemail-valid-perl libfile-fcntllock-perl libgtk2-perl
  libnet-dbus-perl libnet-dns-perl libpango-perl libperl5.14 libsocket-perl
  lintian xchat
Funny thing that apt-get wants to remove xchat. big_smile

Apt probably thinks that you are waisting your time at xchat:)

- apt-mark hold account

#41 2013-08-29 23:47:53

cobaltwolfe
#! CrunchBanger

ew wrote:

I`m on siduction kernel 3.10.9, and I have pinned sid at 1001, and siduction at 500. Dist upgrade only gives me a short list of apps to be removed, as seen below:

libaudit0 libfile-fcntllock-perl libgtk2-perl libnet-dbus-perl libpango-perl
  libperl5.14 libsocket-perl xchat

The only issue for me seems to be perl, unsure if I will go ahead with the upgrade. I`ll probably waiting until tomrrow and see if it`s ok then, otherwise I will just force it trough and handle the issues that I might get. But it`s hard to wait, I`m very tempted to say yes... ;D

One thing is sure, I will not do a regular update, because that list is a lot bigger as yous ee below:

ew@cb-animal-g580:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Building dependency tree       
The following packages have been kept back:
  libalgorithm-diff-xs-perl libapt-pkg-perl libasound2-plugins libcairo-perl
  libclone-perl libgegl-0.2-0 libglib-perl libhtml-parser-perl libio-pty-perl
  liblist-moreutils-perl liblocale-gettext-perl libnet-dns-perl
  libnet-ssleay-perl libpam-systemd libperlio-gzip-perl libsocket6-perl
  libsub-identify-perl libsub-name-perl libtext-charwidth-perl
  libtext-iconv-perl libuuid-perl libxml-parser-perl perl perl-base
  perl-modules systemd vlc vlc-nox vlc-plugin-notify vlc-plugin-pulse
  xserver-xorg-core
  base-passwd bind9-host binutils dmsetup evince evince-common
  fonts-liberation gnome-icon-theme grub-common grub-pc grub-pc-bin
  grub2-common libaudio2 libavutil52 libbind9-90 libc-bin libc-dev-bin libc6
  libc6-dbg libc6-dev libdevmapper-event1.02.1 libdevmapper1.02.1 libdns99
  libedit2 libevdocument3-4 libevview3-3 libisc95 libisccc90 libisccfg90
  libjson-c2 liblvm2app2.2 liblwres90 libmagickcore5 libmagickwand5
  libswscale2 libsystemd-daemon0 libsystemd-id128-0 libsystemd-journal0
  libsystemd-login0 libtiff-tools libtiff5 libupower-glib1 libvlc5 libvlccore5
  libvo-aacenc0 libvo-amrwbenc0 libwpd-0.9-9 libwxbase2.8-0 libwxgtk2.8-0
  libxmmsclient6 libzbar0 multiarch-support python-numpy python-wxgtk2.8
  python-wxtools python-wxversion upower vim-common vim-tiny
  xserver-xorg-video-intel
60 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 31 not upgraded.
Need to get 54.1 MB of archives.
After this operation, 1,614 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]  NOPE:)

I'm at the point where I'm just going to take the plunge and see what happens. I've also at this point replaced the Kernel from the sid repos with the Liquorix kernel and so far seems fine. (though it also stated it was from the sid repos O.o). This is going to take quite a long while working off the Dunkin WiFi lol.

Wish me luck tongue

Translation:

#42 2013-08-30 00:00:07

ew
#! Die Hard

@cobaltwolfe

Good Luck  big_smile

- apt-mark hold account

#43 2013-08-30 01:28:25

cobaltwolfe
#! CrunchBanger

ew wrote:

@cobaltwolfe

Good Luck  big_smile

So the news!

Me and my system are still alive!!! It did indeed remove a bunch of perl stuff however it does not seem to have made a fatal impact on the updating. I removed the Siduction repos from being used before starting the upgrade and everything went smoothly. Interestingly enough its not installed gnome or much else that was unwanted. I'm currently removing all bluetooth items as they are not needed. The actual install of all the items took far longer than the downloading which I thought was interesting, I'm going to be slowly removing things that are not wanted/needed for system functionality and see where that takes me. Grub looks much improved as does Lightdm. will update things as go. Liquorix Kernel is running incredibly well if not slightly slower than the 3.2 kernel.

Translation:

#44 2013-08-30 07:51:54

Naik
#! Die Hard

waiting mode seems to come to an end!
only libgtk2-perl and libperl5.14 are dealing with unmet dependencies...
at least i got my x-server back...

its getting exciting!

Last edited by Naik (2013-08-30 08:03:27)

#45 2013-08-30 10:46:03

rumpel

Yeah, apt only wants to remove libperl5.14 now, which should be safe since it wants to install libperl5.18. I'm going to dist-upgrade.

#46 2013-08-30 14:02:46

vicshrike
#! by Default

Dist-upgraded, looks like things are back to normal.

#!, all else is but a shadow

#47 2013-08-30 15:49:35

cobaltwolfe
#! CrunchBanger

Labeled as solved. Everything is running smoothly as of right now.. Only thing left it trying to figure out why moving to a newer kernel slowed down the computer on boot but speeded it up on shutdown.

Thats going to be another posting unless it would be better served here.

Last edited by cobaltwolfe (2013-08-30 16:12:08)

Translation:

#48 2013-08-31 00:23:18

ew
#! Die Hard

vicshrike wrote:

Dist-upgraded, looks like things are back to normal.

Confirmed. Things are back to normal. I`m happy that I waited:)

- apt-mark hold account

Board footer