SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-02 21:01:54

eldenf
Website

Greetings...

Just joined the forums. Not currently running CrunchBang, but definitely considering it.

Decided to renew my interest in Linux a few weeks ago. Sort of decided that Mint and Ubuntu weren't for me. For now I have Fedora 19 with Xfce on my two machines.

I used to like fluxbox back in the day. I'm thinking Openbox might be up my alley. I like minimalism. Sure, my machines can run the latest bells and whistles but who needs that. I like function over glitz.

Curious if the CrunchBang installer will handle LVM that's already set up? I typically will reformat my root volume and leave my home volume intact. Makes swapping from one Linux to another very easy.

I've run Debian in the past. Seems that one concern is not being able to get current versions of primary software (as opposed to Fedora being somewhat bleeding edge). How valid is that? I've heard that the "unstable" branch isn't really unstable and that it's a decent choice for desktop use. True?

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-08-02 21:33:06

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

Re: Greetings...

eldenf wrote:

I've heard that the "unstable" branch isn't really unstable and that it's a decent choice for desktop use. True?

Welcome to #! and the forums ... unstable (aka SID ) is running here for quite a while now.  It's not nearly as unstable as some other distro's stable versions. cool

Give it a run, you'll like it.

Last edited by Sector11 (2013-08-02 21:36:31)

#3 2013-08-02 22:07:03

kbmonkey
#! Die Hard
Website

Welcome eldenf! Glad you are considering Crunchbang, you won't be disappointed regarding function over form, and the latter is not even lacking by any means.

You might want to see the replies in this thread regarding unstable.

#4 2013-08-02 22:24:24

th3pun15h3r
#! Junkie

Welcome eldenf!  I guess it depends on the software you use.  I know for me I just run wheezy(stable) and it suits all my needs.  Unstable didn't give me new software that i needed.  Cool to see someone from Oregon!  I use to live out near Portland, Oregon.  What a beautiful state really miss it.

#5 2013-08-03 01:47:01

eldenf
Website

th3pun15h3r wrote:

Welcome eldenf!  I guess it depends on the software you use.  I know for me I just run wheezy(stable) and it suits all my needs.  Unstable didn't give me new software that i needed.  Cool to see someone from Oregon!  I use to live out near Portland, Oregon.  What a beautiful state really miss it.

Thanks! I think I might just try the stable branch first. I suppose I could always switch to unstable if I find the need.

Yep... we have it pretty good in Oregon.  smile

#6 2013-08-03 02:42:20

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

^^ Actually, eldenf, you'll find stable very nice, usable and #! is ever so tweakable!

#7 2013-08-03 04:51:22

th3pun15h3r
#! Junkie

eldenf wrote:
th3pun15h3r wrote:

Thanks! I think I might just try the stable branch first. I suppose I could always switch to unstable if I find the need.

Yep... we have it pretty good in Oregon.  smile

indeed all of a sudden craving a burger fries and a milkshake from burgerville.

#8 2013-08-03 08:36:49

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Welcome aboard eldenf.

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#9 2013-08-03 18:02:10

eldenf
Website

Wow. Installed #! on my two machines last night and it went super smooth. Totally love it. I was only gonna do one... but it went so well on the first one that I went ahead and did the other. Very cool. I've gotten kind of tired of distro hopping. I think this is a great place to stop.

Board footer