SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-30 14:29:53

alexthebake

"No Bootable Device" - Installation problems on MacBookPro8,2

Hey guys,

Alright, so I'm trying to install CrunchBang 11 Waldorf on my Early 2011 MacBook Pro and I'm running into a problem straight from the get go. I've downloaded the .iso and loaded it onto a USB stick using the command:

$ sudo dd if=crunchbang-11-20130506-amd64.iso of=/dev/disk1 bs=4194304; sync 

Now, my first issue was that when upon reboot, I would hold "alt" and my USB stick wouldn't appear. So I decided to try out an alternative boot loader and installed rEFInd. Now, at least my USB stick is showing up, but when I select it it gives me the error:

No bootable device -- Insert boot disk and press any key

I've tried looking around for people having similar problems but they all seem to have the problem after having already installed #!, upon reboot. Could someone point me in the right direction? Is it something having to do with setting boot flags, or?

~ Alex

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-07-31 17:34:02

alexthebake

Re: "No Bootable Device" - Installation problems on MacBookPro8,2

Come on, a hint is all I need tongue

~ Alex

#3 2013-07-31 22:45:15

Akasa

I've never used rEFInd, but it's similar to rEFIt. You'll need to move down to the hard drive icon and start the built in partitioning tool in order to rewrite the MBR partition. Once in the partitioning tool you'll want to hit "y" or whatever key rEFInd uses to accept. Reboot your system after and you should have no more issues.

If you still are experiencing this problem let me know, i'll look into it more for you.

Last edited by Akasa (2013-07-31 23:29:51)

#4 2013-08-01 17:21:28

alexthebake

Hmm, well for rEFInd I needed to first enable something called gptsync from the configuration files, but when I tried using it, it said that the tables were fine and there was nothing to sync. I might try installing rEFIt and using it's MBR partition tool.

I actually just did a clean install of OS X because I tried this before but due to some strange clutter it was difficult to pinpoint the problem. When I did this before I used rEFIt and I used the MBR partition tool, which removed the "No Bootable Device" error but gave me an even stranger error which was: "Missing operating system".

Anyway, now I'm not sure if I should continue trying to install using one of these boot managers or if there is some alternative method. Earlier I also tried following this guide, but I ran into some problems. Again, if anyone has some extra info, it would be greatly, greatly appreciated. (:

~ Alex

#5 2013-08-01 18:40:39

jabaru

I have used this to boot from USB: PLOP
Also you need to boot from OS X install CD and make sure you have your partition table set to MBR or you can have problems installing GRUB...

Last edited by jabaru (2013-08-01 18:59:22)

Board footer