SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-30 19:39:01

slinger730

Easiest Way to Change a Single Application's Taskbar Icon?

Is there a simple way to change an app's icon?  I just downloaded a sweet little image editing app called Pinta, but it shows up on the taskbar with the default OpenBox icon, which is of course unfortunate.  What's the best way to change it?  I don't want to have to mess with themes or icon packs, for it's the only one I'd like to change.  I'm a little spoiled, coming from Mac, where this task is really simple.  Thanks in advance for any help granted!

When I look at the .desktop file for Pinta, it has a cute little paint tube and brush icon, it just doesn't carry over into the tint for some reason.  Also, I have the .png file...

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-01-31 10:07:52

Naik
#! Die Hard

Re: Easiest Way to Change a Single Application's Taskbar Icon?

Hello there!

i think i cant really help you, because i have the same problem with some of my apps and it seem nearly impossible to find out where the icon tint uses is comming from.
I wanted to change several icons showed in the taskbar and sometimes it was helpful to change the icon inside the .desktop-file, sometimes i replaced the icons in the icon folder of /usr/share/applications/DESIEREDAPP and sometimes i even changed the icons in high- or lowcolor fallback-themes (/usr/share/icons/) but there are still some tasks not showing my choosen icon.
But as for you, maybe you try to add pinta.png to higcolor-icon-theme (and/or lowcolor) to see what happens...

i will stick to this and am excited to see what the other guys around can tell...

edit: typo

greetz -naik

Last edited by Naik (2013-01-31 10:08:59)

*kaum macht man es richtig, funktioniert es sofort* | my blog

#3 2013-02-01 23:51:45

slinger730

Anyone else out there have any experience with changing an application icon?

#4 2013-02-02 00:14:52

schwim
#! Die Hard

Hi there slinger!

I can't tell you how many threads I came across while searching for a resolution to this issue and every one of them were left to die without any resolution you can count on for applicatons across the board. I never resolved my issue with the icons satisfactorily, but did eventually come to the conclusion that nobody really can tell you how to change a particular icon.  To give you an idea of the lack of solid information, This thread tells you that it's handled in the application's image files and not your theme, but changing my theme changed half of my icons.

#5 2013-02-02 00:52:05

slinger730

Hmm, yeah, so some apps look to the theme folder for icons, and some apps are specially programmed to look elsewhere?  Is that the idea?  Or some apps are for some reason left out of the theming?  Or the icons just don't "connect" somewhere along the way? 

Is there any way to find where an application is pointing for its icon?

#6 2013-02-02 01:10:22

schwim
#! Die Hard

From what I found, there's no way to tell where it looks for the icon.  People were systematically changing one icon after another in the application folders to try to get them to change.  To add to PITA factor, some people reported caching of the icons, even through multiple reboots, so you might blow right by the right icon because it didn't change at the bar after reboot.

#7 2013-02-02 01:20:12

slinger730

Yikes, that's what I was afraid of.

#8 2013-07-30 14:33:41

hrothgar

Hi guys,

I've been having the same problem. But a rather peculiar thing happened.

Okay, so I wanted my Iceweasel icon ( on tint2 ) to look like Firefox Aurora's. I resized the png image in GIMP to every conceivable size and replaced every conceivable Iceweasel icon I could find in the ff directories w/ my icon.
/usr/share/applications
/usr/share/icons/hicolor

Went to my 'tint2rc' file:
launcher_item_app = /usr/share/applications/iceweasel.desktop >> okay, no change... looks fine...
restarted tint2... And guess what... NOTHING HAPPENED! = (

After a couple of hours going 'round in circles, I threw in the towel and went on to download FreetuxTV thru Synaptic and check out what this FreetuxTV was all about.

And LO! Just as the installation finished and for some inexplicable reason, my Iceweasel icon on tint2 suddenly transformed itself into my Firefox Aurora ICON!

I still can't figure it out. Could it be one of the plug-ins that came w/FreetuxTV? Or would it work even if I tried to install any other software? Haven't tried it w/another program yet.

Anyway, if that's what makes tint2 tick, I'll try installing some 1kb plug-in or something in future and see what happens.
Please tell me if it works out for you too.

BTW I'm relatively new to #! and this is my first post.

Board footer