SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-23 04:20:42

Usarise

[SOLVED] HP Envy 14 Black Screen on Boot

Hi everyone,

I'm having some trouble with dual booting CrunchBang on my laptop with windows 7; whenever I select it from grub it appears to be booting, but the screen then goes black and I am unable to do anything.  The laptop has switchable graphics with Intel integrated and an ATI 5650.  I have tried entering nomodeset into grub, but it didn't seem to recognize it or do anything.  I was able to use CrunchBang from my live USB before, but only with the failsafe mode as the regular would have this same issue. 

Any help is greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Last edited by Usarise (2013-07-23 21:12:46)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-07-23 04:43:23

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

Re: [SOLVED] HP Envy 14 Black Screen on Boot

I had a similar issue with booting switchable Intel/ATI on openSUSE12.3.  I can't promise you it'll work, but I used the bios to set the ATI as the only GPU...and it "just werks (tm)".  It isn't the cleanest answer, but will quickly let you know if it's just the kernel modules not getting along with switchable graphics.

#3 2013-07-23 05:31:57

Usarise

Okay I tried to do that, but it unfortunately had no effect on the issue.  So maybe it's not specifically a problem then with the graphics themselves?

#4 2013-07-23 09:30:39

spiritchaser
#! CrunchBanger

this is just a shot, but try booting with acpi=off

Falun Dafa is good, truth, comapssion, tolerance is good. Stop the Persecution of Falun Gong in China.

#5 2013-07-23 12:39:30

VDP76
#! Bean Roaster

after, say, 1 min it is booted with black screen, does hitting Ctrl+Alt+F1 drop you to a visible tty!?

also, can you try to boot with an external monitor plugged in!?

#!#!#! Forum etiquette #!#!#!
Are you a new member!? Have you introduced yourself?!
CLI basics | LVM | smxi | chrooting | multiarch

#6 2013-07-23 15:38:45

Usarise

I just tried booting with acip=off and also with acpi_osi=Linux after the line beginning with Linux/boot ( Similar issue ), but it had no effect on the boot.  The computer appears to black screen after waiting for /dev to be populated.  I tried doing both of these things with and without an external monitor hooked up, but it showed nothing on them either. hmm

*edit*
CTRL+ALT+F1 had no effect either.  sad

*edit 2*
I got it working now.  I'm rather embarrassed that it WAS in fact adding acpi=off...I was typing acip instead.
New question though:  How do I set this as a permanent boot parameter?

Last edited by Usarise (2013-07-23 18:05:01)

#7 2013-07-23 19:23:16

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

You can use sudo into: /etc/default/grub.  Append the line that you wish to change there (it looks just like the grub menu.)

After that, run (from terminal):

sudo update-grub

Should make your change permanent.

Last edited by DebianJoe (2013-07-23 20:29:34)

#8 2013-07-23 20:06:20

Usarise

Okay I just tried that, and put apci=off after "quiet" in the grub text file.  It didn't really look like the menu though, and it didn't seem to affect anything after updating.  I just restarted and now I'm unable to get back in at all.  I am in recovery mode and have a line of root@crunchbang:~# now on a screen saying root account is locked, starting shell.

Unsure what to do now...Also the laptop is running significantly hotter just staying on with crunchbang.

#9 2013-07-23 20:13:09

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

O_o okay, I'm going to see if I can replicate your problem by borking the kernel boot parameters and then repairing the setup.  Hang with me.  I'm pretty sure that you can use "sudo passwd root" to give root unlocked account.

#10 2013-07-23 20:20:47

Usarise

Okay.
I turned it off as I wasn't able to get anywhere with it, and am trying to reboot the same way as before.  Now it only provides a black screen from either option and I cannot return to the command line I had before....

#11 2013-07-23 20:24:18

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

Okay, so adding

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet" acpi=off

To /etc/default/grub worked fine for me.  Is that what you did?  Also, explain to me in detail how the boot process is working.  Are you reaching Grub?  If so, you can always use the "e" option to remove whatever you've added to the grub kernel parameters.

#12 2013-07-23 20:34:42

Usarise

That is exactly as I did, but it did not change the line in Grub for me at all when I looked at it using e.
Although now I am unable to put the same line in and boot into crunchbang.  It just creates the same black screen as before I put the line in.

*edit*
Just tried it again and it is now checking the file system.  I think it might boot once it finishes its check which may take a few minutes

Yeah it booted and in my grub file it says exactly as you typed.   GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet" acpi=off
But I updated it before through the terminal and it didn't stay in grub itself?

Last edited by Usarise (2013-07-23 20:42:19)

#13 2013-07-23 20:49:20

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

Okay, assuming that you get a boot out of it...this is the way to make the change permanent.  Exactly.  Step-by-baby-step. big_smile

In a terminal, type:

sudo nano /etc/defult/grub

Edit the line to look like:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi=off"

Press (Ctrl + x) to exit the nano text editor.  It will ask if you wish to save changes, press "Y" to tell it yes.  It will ask if the /etc/default/grub file is the one you wish to save to, and you must simply press "Return" for it to save.  Then, type into your terminal prompt:

sudo update-grub

and enter the password for sudo privileges.  It should tell you that it's "Generating grub.cfg" and identify all kernels on mounted devices.  (If only Crunchbang is installed, you'll only get a single vmlinuz and initrd).
Now, you should be able to reboot with permanent changes to Grub.

#14 2013-07-23 21:09:28

Usarise

Just followed your instructions and it's working perfectly now.
Everything boots happily! big_smile
I can't thank you enough for helping and at the same time dealing with my ability to not be able to do simple things!

#15 2013-07-23 21:22:27

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

It's not a problem.  It's easy for me to forget that not everyone pokes the kernel with sticks to see what happens.  Glad to see it's booting.

Happy Hacking.

Board footer