SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-02 11:52:45

jms53
#! Member

Choosing a new phone

Hi all,
I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S advance. It's good, but:
- issues connecting it to computer
- low on internal memory

Now that the S4 is out, the price for the S3 has dropped like crazy making it an interesting alternative. The Note II will also be at a good price range in a couple of months due to the Note III coming out.

If you own or have worked with these phones, I would like to know how easy it was for you to sync music/files with your computer, and any issues you have had.

Or, if you have another awesome smartphone, let me know what it is, and how easy it is to communicate between it and your #! box.

Thanks smile

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-06-02 16:27:52

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

Re: Choosing a new phone

Phone Rec:
HTC One Google Edition if you can afford to buy a new premium phone off contract. Nexus 4 is a bit more reasonable, still relatively decent hardware, and pretty affordable when you buy from the Play Store (if available in your country). Plus, it's a Nexus, so you'll get timely OS updates.  Neither have SD card slots, though. Honestly, you shouldn't need one these days unless you're the type that insists on bringing your movies everywhere.

Fwiw, I hate Scamsung, so you won't see me recommending anything made by them.

Sync:
Easiest solution would be gMTP (available in repos). Juts install and run. It's a bit clunky looking, though.
If you want something that intergrates with the OS/File-Manager a bit better look at these;
http://www.circuidipity.com/mtp.html
http://www.legendiary.at/2013/01/27/the … on-debian/

...or just Google for "Android MTP Debian"  Btw, MTP = Media Transfer Protocol.

Last edited by gutterslob (2013-06-02 16:30:56)

Point & Squirt

#3 2013-06-03 00:38:08

mrpeachy
20% cooler

Ive got the HTC one x from at&t, conneting it to my computer (running linix mint) via usb doesn't work 9 times out of 10.  I use airdroid for all my file transfer stuff.

(assuming your computer is part of a wireless network)

Last edited by mrpeachy (2013-06-03 00:41:22)

#4 2013-06-03 01:08:07

annoyingbeggar
#! Junkie

I have the Galaxy S Blaze (Galaxy SII in a smaller package) and when I plug it in by USB (everyday, since that's how I charge it) both SD cards pop up in Thunar. I use Paranoid Android (CM10 derivative) which may be the difference. I've never used the phone on stock android.

“I don't believe in charity. I believe in solidarity. Charity is so vertical. It goes from the top to the bottom. Solidarity is horizontal. It respects the other person. I have a lot to learn from other people.” - Eduardo Hughes Galeano

#5 2013-06-03 02:33:23

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

I just got a Droid Razr HD.  I was looking for a way to hook up my phone and the best and easiest way is to install airdroid on your smartphone and turn it on.  It sets up the phone like a server, and gives you an IP and port you type in your web browser.  type that in, hit enter, you now have access to transfer photos, videos back and forth between your phone and pc with ANY OS!  It is basically a wireless lan hookup and works really well.  That is how i got my music on it easily without having to upload music and then download it to google play (i have DSL so shitty upload speed).  I then just added a option to connect to my phone in my openbox menu.  Might check and see if you have the app available for your current phone.  Pretty nice for me smile.

#6 2013-06-03 13:22:09

Geezer
#! Junkie

Anyone using a dual-sim card phone?  If so, which one and why?

There's no such thing as coffee that's too strong. cool

OHCG | LXer

#7 2013-06-03 13:29:06

uname
#! Junkie

My next phone is with Vanilla Android, Firefox OS or Sailfish OS. Ok Android is not really free. But Samsung with TouchWiz and Windows Kies is like a prison for a linux user.

#8 2013-06-03 14:18:32

annoyingbeggar
#! Junkie

uname wrote:

But Samsung with TouchWiz and Windows Kies is like a prison for a linux user.

This is why I use CyanogenMod or one of its derivatives on all of my phones. Since the release of the G1 I haven't used stock android.

“I don't believe in charity. I believe in solidarity. Charity is so vertical. It goes from the top to the bottom. Solidarity is horizontal. It respects the other person. I have a lot to learn from other people.” - Eduardo Hughes Galeano

#9 2013-06-06 18:21:42

jotapesse
#! Junkie

Geezer wrote:

Anyone using a dual-sim card phone?  If so, which one and why?

Hi! Yes, currently the best offer seems to be the Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos GT-I9082. 5" display, good performance, medium specs dual-sim smartphone. I recommend it. I also have a Galaxy Note GT-N7000 and had several Galaxy S GT-I9000, so, unlike gutterslob I like a lot Samsung phones and recommend them.  smile

On an ASRock VisionX 321B, Asus EeeBoxPC 1501P and EeePC 1000H with Debian Sid/Experimental Xfce 4.10 Linux
Outdated How to: Install Xfce 4.10 with upgraded Apps and Plugins

#10 2013-06-07 00:00:42

Geezer
#! Junkie

Many thanks Jotapesse, you provided exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Now I can compare and select--especially among Samsung phones.  smile

There's no such thing as coffee that's too strong. cool

OHCG | LXer

#11 2013-06-07 09:35:47

jotapesse
#! Junkie

^ You're welcome! smile

On an ASRock VisionX 321B, Asus EeeBoxPC 1501P and EeePC 1000H with Debian Sid/Experimental Xfce 4.10 Linux
Outdated How to: Install Xfce 4.10 with upgraded Apps and Plugins

#12 2013-07-23 12:21:57

CLuoay

jms53 wrote:

Hi all,
I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S advance. It's good, but:
- issues connecting it to computer
- low on internal memory

Now that the S4 is out, the price for the S3 has dropped like crazy making it an interesting alternative. The Note II will also be at a good price range in a couple of months due to the Note III coming out.

If you own or have worked with these phones, I would like to know how easy it was for you to sync music/files with your computer, and any issues you have had.

Or, if you have another awesome smartph smartphone one, let me know what it is, and how easy it is to communicate between it and your #! box.

Thanks smile

You can Skype video call on Samsung Galaxy S Advance by following steps:
1. Double-click the "Skype" icon on Samsung Galaxy S Advance.
2. Click "Tools" at the top of the screen, and then click "Options."
3. Click "Video" in the dropdown menu. The blue icon on the left will display your video options.
4. Check "Enable Skype Video." You'll now have access to Skype video settings. Good luck!

#13 2013-07-23 15:51:45

hashbanger
#! CrunchBanger

Technically I'd suggest Windows Phone, but it's not easy to pair it with a #! box...

FreeBSD | OpenBSD | Windows. Randomly lurking.
Decentralized #! eD2k/Kad mirror.

#14 2013-07-23 17:09:42

samdraz
#! CrunchBanger
Website

if u want to try really something different take a look jolla phone here

Board footer