SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-26 11:00:40

corenominal
WRONG
Website

CrunchEee 8.10.01 Release Candidate 1

Update 18/01/09
CrunchEee 8.10.02 is available now.

------------

As some of you might already know (hands up conspirators), Trouble'n'strife gave me the most excellent of surprises for Christmas, she gifted me an Asus Eee PC! smile It is an ebony 1000 with 1GB of RAM and a 40GB SSD. It is an amazing piece of kit and I am really pleased with it. I played with the default Linux OS for about 5-10 minutes before installing CrunchBang. big_smile

Regarding CrunchBang and Eee PCs, I am not sure if anyone is aware, but fabsh quickly reviewed CrunchBang on his Eee PC for the last Linux Outlaws podcast, episode 69. In the episode, Dan and Fab joked about the creation of a special Eee PC edition of CrunchBang named CrunchEee. lol I thought the name was most amusing, but the idea was actually solid; there are a number of Eee PC users on these forums and I figured it might be nice to put together an Eee specific edition. So, that is how I spent my Christmas day. roll As Christmas days go, it was probably the most constructive one I have ever had; the first CrunchEee release candidate is available now.

Features:
This release candidate of CrunchEee is similar to the "lite" edition of CrunchBang, but for the inclusion of additional Internet applications. Here is a list of features/installed software:

Download Locations:
http://crunchbang.net/pub/linux/crunche … 386rc1.iso
http://mirror.h3o.in/mirror/crunchbang/ … 386rc1.iso
MD5SUM: 4ae27caf50d0e3b7383ab0dc704423ad

Installation:

• Download the image file above.

• Download and install Unetbootin. It is also available from CrunchBang's repository:

sudo apt-get install unetbootin
  • Mount a big enough USB drive (1 GB is plenty), formatted as FAT.

• Use Unetbootin to copy the .iso file to the drive. See image below:
    cruncheee-unetbootin.png?w=&h=&cache=cache

• Insert the USB device into your Eee PC and press ESC immediately after pressing the Power On button, select the USB device in the boot option screen that comes up.

• Install CrunchBang from the live environment as usual. Note, you may not want to create a swap partition to prevent unnecessary wear and tear on the SSD drive (downside: disables hibernation).

Feedback and suggestions
If anyone does try CrunchEee, I would really appreciate it if you could provide some feedback and/or suggestions for improvements. One thing I am particularly interested in is the default applications; I have only been using my new netbook for a day and while I know I will need a full suite of Internet applications, I am not too sure at the moment what else I will require. So, how do you use your Eee PC and what applications are missing from your set-up?

Last edited by corenominal (2009-01-18 09:47:48)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2008-12-26 11:22:29

nipeng
#! Member

Re: CrunchEee 8.10.01 Release Candidate 1

Finally an excuse to buy a eeepc. wink
I've been eyeballing one for a while.

Anyway I like the idea, a specialized distro for netbooks.
Do you need to have some kind of asus app to get the online "Exclusive 60GB Eee Storage" working in #!?

---
I don't like peanuts.

#3 2008-12-26 11:35:59

corenominal
WRONG
Website

nipeng wrote:

Do you need to have some kind of asus app to get the online "Exclusive 60GB Eee Storage" working in #!?

To be honest, I am not sure. Probably. I really did not use the default OS for long enough to know. I will look into it.

#4 2008-12-26 13:54:41

kestrel
Species: F. sparverius
Website

This is going to make it so easy for the legends of eee owners to make the switch to #!.

Question: To get PCMan File Manager "Hal enabled", did you build from source or grab a .deb for one of the repos? #! is already on my eee 1000 ebony 40g SSD and I'd like to try PCMan out.

My web activities: Etsy Shop | Facebook | Blog

#5 2008-12-26 14:14:10

corenominal
WRONG
Website

kestrel wrote:

Question: To get PCMan File Manager "Hal enabled", did you build from source or grab a .deb for one of the repos? #! is already on my eee 1000 ebony 40g SSD and I'd like to try PCMan out.

The default pcmanfm package available from the repositories has HAL support enabled. I simply added the following to Openbox's autostart file to daemonise it:

pcmanfm --daemon-mode &

If you are currently running with Thunar, you may want to remove or comment out its daemon reference:

#thunar --daemon &

#6 2008-12-26 15:25:16

swj
Eagle Eyes

Thought about getting one, but there is so many to choose from, so I got a robot instead, lol!

I assume flash based would be less heat / noisy and what most people are getting?

Can the flash storage be replaced?

Also, where is the best place to purchase a Eee 1000? Amazon?

#7 2008-12-26 15:27:34

bobobex
The Better Half

@ swj: I got corenominal's from Amazon UK. It offered the best price smile

Politeness, Respect, Trust, Humility - forum etiquette I abide by!
twitter

#! forum moderator

#8 2008-12-26 15:38:54

swj
Eagle Eyes

Trouble'n'strife wrote:

@ swj: I got corenominal's from Amazon UK. It offered the best price smile

Thanks!

#9 2008-12-26 15:57:10

snowpine
#!-a-roo

Great news! I am downloading CrunchEEE right now and am looking forward to testing it. Happy holidays!

/hugged

#10 2008-12-26 16:03:26

ajt

Hi all - I have just recently started using cbang on my eee900 and find it a superb distro ( can only use the lite version tho as im not installing any 666 distro (just to be on the safe side!))

Anyway I am very joyed to see an eee version being put together - I tested the rc and found a couple of things.

On my eee (900) eee-control needs to be installed from the ubuntu repository and then activated with the command eee-control-tray , this gives the ability to easily turn on / off completely wifi, camera, plus cpu scaling.

the regular eee kernel should be installed also as this supports more hardware that you may plug into the usb slots .

and lastly when changing panel preferences the default file manager is still listed as thunar and not pcmanfm.

great project - cant wait for the finished version

ps - is it possible to maybe have the striped wallpaper as default for this version?

#11 2008-12-26 16:47:55

corenominal
WRONG
Website

ajt wrote:

Hi all - I have just recently started using cbang on my eee900 and find it a superb distro ( can only use the lite version tho as im not installing any 666 distro (just to be on the safe side!))

lol

Anyway I am very joyed to see an eee version being put together - I tested the rc and found a couple of things.

On my eee (900) eee-control needs to be installed from the ubuntu repository and then activated with the command eee-control-tray , this gives the ability to easily turn on / off completely wifi, camera, plus cpu scaling.

Nice one, thank you. It has been added to the build.

the regular eee kernel should be installed also as this supports more hardware that you may plug into the usb slots .

I have read something elsewhere today along similar lines. I will look into it.

and lastly when changing panel preferences the default file manager is still listed as thunar and not pcmanfm.

Good catch! Thank you.

great project - cant wait for the finished version

If more feedback like yours comes in, it should turn out to be pretty nifty. Thank you again. smile

P.S. Welcome to the forums!

#12 2008-12-26 17:13:53

zenlc
Website

I also have been waiting for a eee-specific build of #!.  I'm downloading the ISO now and will install later today.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
            - Douglas Adams

#13 2008-12-26 17:38:01

ajt

Unfortunately on my eee selecting install from the boot menu just brings up an xcursor and nothing more -only tested once though

Good job on adding the eee-control as it is needed if you want to install to a sd card rather than the onboard one.

another slight bug maybe that I have noticed on a few cbang builds is that there appears to be a few too many session options on the gdm loginmanager - i may not understand this correctly but the openbox/kde session appears to not start and the others except openbox and dww seem to be non practical so too speak .

pcmanfm is an excellent choice - as is any firefox based browser because of the extensions .

transmission a must for me - tho opera can do torrent , mail , and browsing - maybe songbird could be used as a combined browser media player , the only thing it lacks is decent podcast support .

keep up the good work - i shall keep testing and report back with my findings - I really want to help make this the definitive eee distro.

ajt

#14 2008-12-26 18:42:39

Cie

Right then,

Downloaded and installed onto a 512Mb MB stick, installed and working without any issue at all on my 4Gb 701.

My only comment is, this is a netbook installation (and some of us have small disks) I wonder if the initial package should be really lightweight? Personally I wonder if an rss reader, ftp client, torrent client, irc client, and podcast client should be included?

That said, great work Phil, thanks.

#15 2008-12-26 19:03:42

omns
#! wanderer

Cie wrote:

I wonder if the initial package should be really lightweight?

For the really lite weight check out the lite edition of CrunchBang. Welcome to the forums Cie smile

#16 2008-12-26 19:08:44

Cie

Thanks omns, I'll check it out and run it on my laptop (as it's a bit of a sloth). I actually meant light in package terms rather than performance.

#17 2008-12-26 19:11:31

yello

I'll download it and give it a go. Should be interesting to see how 'out of the box' it is. I still haven't got my Eee specific function keys working so that will be something I look for!

#18 2008-12-26 19:14:14

ajt

yello - I havent got the all function keys working either but brightness and sound work - use the eee-control applet to fill in the missing functions

#19 2008-12-26 19:15:39

omns
#! wanderer

Cie wrote:

I actually meant light in package terms rather than performance.

The lite version just comes with a basic openbox setup and a few packages. It's very light in terms of packages. What you add to it is up to you smile

#20 2008-12-26 21:46:44

zenlc
Website

I installed on my 901 with a fresh format of my 4GB partition but left the 16GB partition as /home and no formatting.  The installation went just fine and it kept my old config files as I'd hoped, however this is both a blessing and a curse.  A blessing in that my conky config remained but my menus and super-key shortcuts do nothing.

I'm assuming all it requires is a quick edit of the xml files however for the hotkeys I'm not sure which file to edit and for the menu I'm not sure what the new programs are.

I'm guessing it would be easiest to back up what I have now and start from the default files again but I don't exactly know where to get them.

.:Help?:.

Thanks

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
            - Douglas Adams

#21 2008-12-26 22:21:26

bobobex
The Better Half

@ zenlc: You can find all the default configuration files in /etc/skel/.  Back-up and delete your ~/.config directory and then reboot your machine. You should then find that all of the default files will automatically copy across from the etc/skel/ directory for you.

Politeness, Respect, Trust, Humility - forum etiquette I abide by!
twitter

#! forum moderator

#22 2008-12-26 22:27:15

zenlc
Website

Trouble'n'strife wrote:

@ zenlc: You can find all the default configuration files in /etc/skel/.  Back-up and delete your ~/.config directory and then reboot your machine. You should then find that all of the default files will automatically copy across from the etc/skel/ directory for you.

Excellent!  Thank you very much!

- Douglas Adams

#23 2008-12-26 22:31:26

kestrel
Species: F. sparverius
Website

You did the same thing I did when I upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10 #!.

Your 8.10 config files live in /etc/skel. The ones you want are "hidden", use Ctrl + h to show them. Careful about just copying them over the current ones. Mostly you'd be interested in...

/etc/skel/.conkyrc
/etc/skel/.config/openbox/*

There could be others. Go slow and make backups.

Started my post at the same time as Trouble'n'strife. So now you have your answer in stereo.

Last edited by kestrel (2008-12-26 22:34:11)

My web activities: Etsy Shop | Facebook | Blog

#24 2008-12-27 09:24:26

TucknDar
Website

I've already got the Lite RC installed, is there any point in installing this? Pretty new to Linux so updating distros isn'r something I've done. I've installed Ubuntu-Eee replacing Xandros and installed #! replacing Ubuntu, but no particular reason to install CrunchEee is there?
The only thing I might want out of this is "Modified default theme with smaller fonts." although I've changed this myself. But is this changed theme available through the #! repository? If not... please smile

Also, as suggested, some included packages, such as feed reader and podcast catcher may not be necessary. I realize that my usage pattern doesn't match everybody else's, but it would make more sense to only include absolute necessities. I'd suggest something like this:
Terminator terminal.
Firefox web browser. (although I'm actually very happy with Kazehakase so far smile )
PCMan File Manager with HAL automounting enabled.
Leafpad text editor.
VLC media player.
Pidgin instant messenger (can do IRC, so xchat not necessary, IMO).
Various tools and utilities, such File Roller, Evince PDF viewer, etc.

Stuff like Skype, gPodder, etc can easily be installed of course.

Even better would be a checkbox list of packages to install. But more work on your part though... tongue

Eee 901 + #! = smile

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2008-12-27 09:55:50

Nik_Doof
#! Junkie
Website

Board footer