SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-22 17:40:24

walterbyrd

Is Crunchbang better than Debian + Openbox?

Is Crunchbang just Debian, with openbox, and some apps pre-installed?

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-09-22 17:49:41

dura
Bloated Gimp

Re: Is Crunchbang better than Debian + Openbox?

No. It's a lot, lot more (intangibly...).

Last edited by dura (2012-09-22 18:49:50)

#3 2012-09-22 18:45:01

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

walterbyrd wrote:

Yes, that is what #! is.. the pre-installed apps and of course the community is what make it what it is..

The installer sets it a part IMO as well.

VSIDO | SolusOS

Words That Build Or Destroy

#4 2012-09-23 01:13:43

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Philip does recompile the Murrine gtk theme and some libraries, mostly for cosmetics; he also tweaked font rendering (in Waldorf anyway) so it looks closer to Ubuntu than Debian, but other than that and a few custom configs, it's almost-pure Debian.  To me, these differences are like the juniper berry flavor in gin. cool

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#5 2012-09-23 03:30:10

johnraff
#!Drunkard
Website

So the basic difference from "pure" Debian is the extra CrunchBang repositories which hold the recompiled and tweaked packages that pvsage mentioned.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator

#6 2012-09-23 05:18:17

ad
#! Member

From my experience. I am not an expert on Linux, I am not a power user. I don't need to use the latest software, I don't have the most expensive laptop. What I looking for is a stable and reliable operative system, easy to keep up to date, and easy to install and configure.

I love Debian, it has been my distro for several years, but I always had to fix issues related with my wireless card and also my graphics settings. CrunchBang is now my first choice because it offers me the same superb quality of Debian... but everything works out of the box from the beginning.

#7 2012-09-23 08:29:27

fratermus
#! CrunchBanger
Website

ad wrote:

CrunchBang is now my first choice because it offers me the same superb quality of Debian... but everything works out of the box from the beginning.

This.

It has excellent defaults and functionality.  I usually change a few things but it's as close to perfect for me as I've ever used.

brother mouse
new to crunchbang.
my first linux kernel build was on a 386-16sx with 6MB SIPP RAM ($50/MB!)

#8 2012-09-23 08:31:07

Iranon
#! Junkie

In a way I'd prefer if projects like Crunchbang didn't exist as their own distro,  a script to crunchify a fresh Debian install seems a cleaner way to do it.
The only problem I see is for people who need wireless connectivity out of the box (Debian isn't going to provide proprietary drivers and firmware).

LEGO won't be ready for the average user until it comes pre-assembled, in a single  unified look, and glued together so it doesn't come apart.

#9 2012-09-23 15:37:52

johnraff
#!Drunkard
Website

Iranon wrote:

a script to crunchify a fresh Debian install seems a cleaner way to do it.

You could have a look here. smile

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator

#10 2012-09-23 18:29:08

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Iranon wrote:

(Debian isn't going to provide proprietary drivers and firmware).

I thought Debian actually provided optional install images that included the non-free whatnots.  Is this not, or no longer, the case?  (I remember shortly after Debian announced that the Squeeze kernel would not include any proprietary blobs, I got the impression that they might eventually move the non-free packages into a separate repo, kinda like medibuntu...)

#11 2013-07-07 05:40:51

taxwork

With Crunchbang all worked out of the box.  I have an older laptop and the wireless worked just fine.   Even when I had Linux Mint installed on this laptop, I had to search around for the correct drivers for the laptop.  Also the community is very very helpful.

#12 2013-07-07 12:31:14

schwim
#! Die Hard

walterbyrd wrote:

Yes, just as a Bugatti Veyron is just like a Volkswagen Passat, just with a few more cylinders and a smaller rear window.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSw3dOBDaYu3Mbp744HNSAXoJtgtG11KlylQb1ZXJQr6Gc9y1eI & images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvTA4cIM1RZaKy7finFMXCaMAJZ5Ganv63VRwxZUXjHZ2fUfkGMcTrS6xN

#13 2013-07-07 15:23:45

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

^ This made my day... smile

Last edited by antiv0rtex (2013-07-07 15:24:11)

#14 2013-07-07 15:42:56

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

More like an RV is just a truck with some extras preinstalled, but that's semantics.

#15 2013-07-07 16:24:50

hhh
Caught in the Vortex

Since zombie thread MUST EAT BRAINS!!!!!!

pvsage wrote:
Iranon wrote:

I thought Debian actually provided optional install images that included the non-free whatnots.  Is this not, or no longer, the case?  (I remember shortly after Debian announced that the Squeeze kernel would not include any proprietary blobs, I got the impression that they might eventually move the non-free packages into a separate repo, kinda like medibuntu...)

http://live.debian.net/cdimage/release/7.0.0+nonfree/

#16 2013-07-07 17:05:07

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

schwim wrote:
walterbyrd wrote:

Yes, just as a Bugatti Veyron is just like a Volkswagen Passat, just with a few more cylinders and a smaller rear window.

I'm going to have to incorporate this into a presentation slide. Excellent!

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#17 2013-07-07 17:23:10

pvsage
Internal Affairs

schwim wrote:
walterbyrd wrote:

Just to be clear, #! is the Passat, right? devil  Thriftier with gas, more passenger room, "not trying to compensate for anything"... tongue

EDIT:  Just to be clear, I mean no offense to either Debian or Bugatti in this post.  Since CrunchBang is basically a customized Debian netinstall, perhaps it would be better to say that Debian is like a Model B, while CrunchBang is a tastefully chopped Deuce Coupe?

Last edited by pvsage (2013-07-08 09:53:04)

#18 2013-07-07 17:30:21

pvsage
Internal Affairs

hhh wrote:

Since zombie thread MUST EAT BRAINS!!!!!!

pvsage wrote:
Iranon wrote:

...images that included the non-free whatnots...

http://live.debian.net/cdimage/release/7.0.0+nonfree/

MUST TRY THESE!!!!! cool

#19 2013-07-08 12:24:59

ew
#! Die Hard

Iranon wrote:

In a way I'd prefer if projects like Crunchbang didn't exist as their own distro,  a script to crunchify a fresh Debian install seems a cleaner way to do it.
The only problem I see is for people who need wireless connectivity out of the box (Debian isn't going to provide proprietary drivers and firmware).

That`s not true. You get a Debian netinstall.iso with non-free support. Debian offers it like all the rest, they just try to hide the iso:)

- apt-mark hold account

#20 2013-07-08 12:32:43

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ Politics.  There's a strong political undercurrent at Debian that seems to think everyone should in their idealized world where all hardware is supported by entirely FOSS software.  It doesn't help that the more pragmatist developers at Debian seem to wonder what the point is in developing a FOSS driver when the hardware manufacturer is willing to provide a perfectly adequate binary blob.

#21 2013-07-08 19:31:11

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

pvsage wrote:

^ Politics.  There's a strong political undercurrent at Debian that seems to think everyone should in their idealized world where all hardware is supported by entirely FOSS software.  It doesn't help that the more pragmatist developers at Debian seem to wonder what the point is in developing a FOSS driver when the hardware manufacturer is willing to provide a perfectly adequate binary blob.

Perhaps because at some point, the manufacturer will cease to upgrade the driver, whereas upgrades might continue for a FOSS driver.  Also, a FOSS driver would encourage more tinkering since the code would be available to all.

#22 2013-07-08 19:52:29

schwim
#! Die Hard

KrunchTime wrote:

Perhaps because at some point, the manufacturer will cease to upgrade the driver, whereas upgrades might continue for a FOSS driver.  Also, a FOSS driver would encourage more tinkering since the code would be available to all.

In my personal experience, I've seen a ridiculous number of FOSS projects go dormant leaving me searching for an alternative and can not say I've ever been left hanging by dropped support by any manufacturers of drivers that I'm in need of.  YMMV of course.

#23 2013-07-08 20:53:57

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@KrunchTime & schwim:  ATi/AMD video drivers are one particular hot-button issue in these politics, with strong, valid arguments coming from both sides of the trenches.

...but back on-topic:  Yes, I believe CrunchBang to be better than Debian + Openbox, due to the (admittedly minor) tweaks corenominal brought to the party.

#24 2013-07-09 18:57:03

hhh
Caught in the Vortex

These live images and these netinstall+nonfree-firmware images are linked to directly from the Debian Wiki Firmware page, which is linked from the DebianDesktopHowTo page...
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff … -firmware/

Maybe it's not at the top of the Debian Downloads page, but it's not exactly hidden. The message is what it's been, "we prefer you run free drivers, but we have it covered if you can't".

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2013-07-09 20:34:14

ew
#! Die Hard

hhh wrote:

These live images and these netinstall+nonfree-firmware images are linked to directly from the Debian Wiki Firmware page, which is linked from the DebianDesktopHowTo page...
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff … -firmware/

Maybe it's not at the top of the Debian Downloads page, but it's not exactly hidden. The message is what it's been, "we prefer you run free drivers, but we have it covered if you can't".

It`s hidden enough to make me download the wrong version first. I kind of assumed that you got activate non-free in the default iso. With new computers today, non-free isn`t a option, it`s a must. Mainly for two areas, graphics and wifi. Especially for the last one is linux having a hard time supplying good enough open-source drivers..., and with the constant development of new wifi-cards and chips, linux will never be able to keep up... Actually I think it`s a waste of resources. Leave it to the vendors. That way we probably would get a few vendors that would take Linux seriously..

- apt-mark hold account

Board footer