SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-22 17:40:24

walterbyrd
New Member
Registered: 2011-06-30
Posts: 3

Is Crunchbang better than Debian + Openbox?

Is Crunchbang just Debian, with openbox, and some apps pre-installed?

Offline

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-09-22 17:49:41

dura
Bloated Gimp
From: interzone
Registered: 2012-09-15
Posts: 2,106

Re: Is Crunchbang better than Debian + Openbox?

No. It's a lot, lot more (intangibly...).

Last edited by dura (2012-09-22 18:49:50)

Offline

#3 2012-09-22 18:45:01

VastOne
#! Ranger
From: #! Fringe Division
Registered: 2011-04-26
Posts: 10,163
Website

Re: Is Crunchbang better than Debian + Openbox?

walterbyrd wrote:

Is Crunchbang just Debian, with openbox, and some apps pre-installed?

Yes, that is what #! is.. the pre-installed apps and of course the community is what make it what it is..

The installer sets it a part IMO as well.


VSIDO | SolusOS

Words That Build Or Destroy

Offline

#4 2012-09-23 01:13:43

pvsage
Internal Affairs
From: North Carolina
Registered: 2009-10-18
Posts: 12,152

Re: Is Crunchbang better than Debian + Openbox?

Philip does recompile the Murrine gtk theme and some libraries, mostly for cosmetics; he also tweaked font rendering (in Waldorf anyway) so it looks closer to Ubuntu than Debian, but other than that and a few custom configs, it's almost-pure Debian.  To me, these differences are like the juniper berry flavor in gin. cool


I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

Offline

#5 2012-09-23 03:30:10

johnraff
#!Drunkard
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2009-01-07
Posts: 2,847
Website

Re: Is Crunchbang better than Debian + Openbox?

So the basic difference from "pure" Debian is the extra CrunchBang repositories which hold the recompiled and tweaked packages that pvsage mentioned.


John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator

Offline

#6 2012-09-23 05:18:17

ad
#! Member
From: Mankato, MN, US
Registered: 2012-05-14
Posts: 61

Re: Is Crunchbang better than Debian + Openbox?

From my experience. I am not an expert on Linux, I am not a power user. I don't need to use the latest software, I don't have the most expensive laptop. What I looking for is a stable and reliable operative system, easy to keep up to date, and easy to install and configure.

I love Debian, it has been my distro for several years, but I always had to fix issues related with my wireless card and also my graphics settings. CrunchBang is now my first choice because it offers me the same superb quality of Debian... but everything works out of the box from the beginning.

Offline

#7 2012-09-23 08:29:27

fratermus
#! CrunchBanger
From: 75081, USA
Registered: 2012-01-20
Posts: 143
Website

Re: Is Crunchbang better than Debian + Openbox?

ad wrote:

CrunchBang is now my first choice because it offers me the same superb quality of Debian... but everything works out of the box from the beginning.

This.

It has excellent defaults and functionality.  I usually change a few things but it's as close to perfect for me as I've ever used.


brother mouse
new to crunchbang.
my first linux kernel build was on a 386-16sx with 6MB SIPP RAM ($50/MB!)

Offline

#8 2012-09-23 08:31:07

Iranon
#! Junkie
Registered: 2012-03-10
Posts: 254

Re: Is Crunchbang better than Debian + Openbox?

In a way I'd prefer if projects like Crunchbang didn't exist as their own distro,  a script to crunchify a fresh Debian install seems a cleaner way to do it.
The only problem I see is for people who need wireless connectivity out of the box (Debian isn't going to provide proprietary drivers and firmware).


LEGO won't be ready for the average user until it comes pre-assembled, in a single  unified look, and glued together so it doesn't come apart.

Offline

#9 2012-09-23 15:37:52

johnraff
#!Drunkard
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2009-01-07
Posts: 2,847
Website

Re: Is Crunchbang better than Debian + Openbox?

Iranon wrote:

a script to crunchify a fresh Debian install seems a cleaner way to do it.

You could have a look here. smile


John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator

Offline

#10 2012-09-23 18:29:08

pvsage
Internal Affairs
From: North Carolina
Registered: 2009-10-18
Posts: 12,152

Re: Is Crunchbang better than Debian + Openbox?

Iranon wrote:

(Debian isn't going to provide proprietary drivers and firmware).

I thought Debian actually provided optional install images that included the non-free whatnots.  Is this not, or no longer, the case?  (I remember shortly after Debian announced that the Squeeze kernel would not include any proprietary blobs, I got the impression that they might eventually move the non-free packages into a separate repo, kinda like medibuntu...)


I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

Offline

#11 2013-07-07 05:40:51

taxwork
New Member
Registered: 2013-07-07
Posts: 1

Re: Is Crunchbang better than Debian + Openbox?

With Crunchbang all worked out of the box.  I have an older laptop and the wireless worked just fine.   Even when I had Linux Mint installed on this laptop, I had to search around for the correct drivers for the laptop.  Also the community is very very helpful.

Offline

#12 2013-07-07 12:31:14

schwim
#! Die Hard
From: Interweb's #1 Devotee
Registered: 2012-10-11
Posts: 604

Re: Is Crunchbang better than Debian + Openbox?

walterbyrd wrote:

Is Crunchbang just Debian, with openbox, and some apps pre-installed?

Yes, just as a Bugatti Veyron is just like a Volkswagen Passat, just with a few more cylinders and a smaller rear window.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSw3dOBDaYu3Mbp744HNSAXoJtgtG11KlylQb1ZXJQr6Gc9y1eI & images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvTA4cIM1RZaKy7finFMXCaMAJZ5Ganv63VRwxZUXjHZ2fUfkGMcTrS6xN

Offline

#13 2013-07-07 15:23:45

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard
From: Earth
Registered: 2012-10-05
Posts: 574

Re: Is Crunchbang better than Debian + Openbox?

^ This made my day... smile

Last edited by antiv0rtex (2013-07-07 15:24:11)

Offline

#14 2013-07-07 15:42:56

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
From: The Bleeding Edge
Registered: 2013-03-13
Posts: 1,207
Website

Re: Is Crunchbang better than Debian + Openbox?

More like an RV is just a truck with some extras preinstalled, but that's semantics.

Offline

#15 2013-07-07 16:24:50

hhh
Caught in the Vortex
Registered: 2010-08-04
Posts: 1,889

Re: Is Crunchbang better than Debian + Openbox?

Since zombie thread MUST EAT BRAINS!!!!!!

pvsage wrote:
Iranon wrote:

(Debian isn't going to provide proprietary drivers and firmware).

I thought Debian actually provided optional install images that included the non-free whatnots.  Is this not, or no longer, the case?  (I remember shortly after Debian announced that the Squeeze kernel would not include any proprietary blobs, I got the impression that they might eventually move the non-free packages into a separate repo, kinda like medibuntu...)

http://live.debian.net/cdimage/release/7.0.0+nonfree/

Offline

#16 2013-07-07 17:05:07

lcafiero
The #! Guy
From: Felton, California, USA
Registered: 2011-07-21
Posts: 2,196
Website

Re: Is Crunchbang better than Debian + Openbox?

schwim wrote:
walterbyrd wrote:

Is Crunchbang just Debian, with openbox, and some apps pre-installed?

Yes, just as a Bugatti Veyron is just like a Volkswagen Passat, just with a few more cylinders and a smaller rear window.

I'm going to have to incorporate this into a presentation slide. Excellent!


Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

Offline

#17 2013-07-07 17:23:10

pvsage
Internal Affairs
From: North Carolina
Registered: 2009-10-18
Posts: 12,152

Re: Is Crunchbang better than Debian + Openbox?

schwim wrote:
walterbyrd wrote:

Is Crunchbang just Debian, with openbox, and some apps pre-installed?

Yes, just as a Bugatti Veyron is just like a Volkswagen Passat, just with a few more cylinders and a smaller rear window.

Just to be clear, #! is the Passat, right? devil  Thriftier with gas, more passenger room, "not trying to compensate for anything"... tongue

EDIT:  Just to be clear, I mean no offense to either Debian or Bugatti in this post.  Since CrunchBang is basically a customized Debian netinstall, perhaps it would be better to say that Debian is like a Model B, while CrunchBang is a tastefully chopped Deuce Coupe?

Last edited by pvsage (2013-07-08 09:53:04)


I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

Offline

#18 2013-07-07 17:30:21

pvsage
Internal Affairs
From: North Carolina
Registered: 2009-10-18
Posts: 12,152

Re: Is Crunchbang better than Debian + Openbox?

hhh wrote:

Since zombie thread MUST EAT BRAINS!!!!!!

pvsage wrote:
Iranon wrote:

(Debian isn't going to provide proprietary drivers and firmware).

...images that included the non-free whatnots...

http://live.debian.net/cdimage/release/7.0.0+nonfree/

MUST TRY THESE!!!!! cool


I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

Offline

#19 2013-07-08 12:24:59

ew
#! Die Hard
Registered: 2012-09-27
Posts: 1,975

Re: Is Crunchbang better than Debian + Openbox?

Iranon wrote:

In a way I'd prefer if projects like Crunchbang didn't exist as their own distro,  a script to crunchify a fresh Debian install seems a cleaner way to do it.
The only problem I see is for people who need wireless connectivity out of the box (Debian isn't going to provide proprietary drivers and firmware).

That`s not true. You get a Debian netinstall.iso with non-free support. Debian offers it like all the rest, they just try to hide the iso:)


- apt-mark hold account

Offline

#20 2013-07-08 12:32:43

pvsage
Internal Affairs
From: North Carolina
Registered: 2009-10-18
Posts: 12,152

Re: Is Crunchbang better than Debian + Openbox?

^ Politics.  There's a strong political undercurrent at Debian that seems to think everyone should in their idealized world where all hardware is supported by entirely FOSS software.  It doesn't help that the more pragmatist developers at Debian seem to wonder what the point is in developing a FOSS driver when the hardware manufacturer is willing to provide a perfectly adequate binary blob.


I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

Offline

#21 2013-07-08 19:31:11

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard
From: Not Where I Belong
Registered: 2012-03-02
Posts: 1,864

Re: Is Crunchbang better than Debian + Openbox?

pvsage wrote:

^ Politics.  There's a strong political undercurrent at Debian that seems to think everyone should in their idealized world where all hardware is supported by entirely FOSS software.  It doesn't help that the more pragmatist developers at Debian seem to wonder what the point is in developing a FOSS driver when the hardware manufacturer is willing to provide a perfectly adequate binary blob.

Perhaps because at some point, the manufacturer will cease to upgrade the driver, whereas upgrades might continue for a FOSS driver.  Also, a FOSS driver would encourage more tinkering since the code would be available to all.

Offline

#22 2013-07-08 19:52:29

schwim
#! Die Hard
From: Interweb's #1 Devotee
Registered: 2012-10-11
Posts: 604

Re: Is Crunchbang better than Debian + Openbox?

KrunchTime wrote:

Perhaps because at some point, the manufacturer will cease to upgrade the driver, whereas upgrades might continue for a FOSS driver.  Also, a FOSS driver would encourage more tinkering since the code would be available to all.

In my personal experience, I've seen a ridiculous number of FOSS projects go dormant leaving me searching for an alternative and can not say I've ever been left hanging by dropped support by any manufacturers of drivers that I'm in need of.  YMMV of course.

Offline

#23 2013-07-08 20:53:57

pvsage
Internal Affairs
From: North Carolina
Registered: 2009-10-18
Posts: 12,152

Re: Is Crunchbang better than Debian + Openbox?

@KrunchTime & schwim:  ATi/AMD video drivers are one particular hot-button issue in these politics, with strong, valid arguments coming from both sides of the trenches.

...but back on-topic:  Yes, I believe CrunchBang to be better than Debian + Openbox, due to the (admittedly minor) tweaks corenominal brought to the party.


I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

Offline

#24 2013-07-09 18:57:03

hhh
Caught in the Vortex
Registered: 2010-08-04
Posts: 1,889

Re: Is Crunchbang better than Debian + Openbox?

These live images and these netinstall+nonfree-firmware images are linked to directly from the Debian Wiki Firmware page, which is linked from the DebianDesktopHowTo page...
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff … -firmware/

Maybe it's not at the top of the Debian Downloads page, but it's not exactly hidden. The message is what it's been, "we prefer you run free drivers, but we have it covered if you can't".

Offline

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2013-07-09 20:34:14

ew
#! Die Hard
Registered: 2012-09-27
Posts: 1,975

Re: Is Crunchbang better than Debian + Openbox?

hhh wrote:

These live images and these netinstall+nonfree-firmware images are linked to directly from the Debian Wiki Firmware page, which is linked from the DebianDesktopHowTo page...
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff … -firmware/

Maybe it's not at the top of the Debian Downloads page, but it's not exactly hidden. The message is what it's been, "we prefer you run free drivers, but we have it covered if you can't".

It`s hidden enough to make me download the wrong version first. I kind of assumed that you got activate non-free in the default iso. With new computers today, non-free isn`t a option, it`s a must. Mainly for two areas, graphics and wifi. Especially for the last one is linux having a hard time supplying good enough open-source drivers..., and with the constant development of new wifi-cards and chips, linux will never be able to keep up... Actually I think it`s a waste of resources. Leave it to the vendors. That way we probably would get a few vendors that would take Linux seriously..


- apt-mark hold account

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB

Copyright © 2012 CrunchBang Linux.
Proudly powered by Debian. Hosted by Linode.
Debian is a registered trademark of Software in the Public Interest, Inc.

Debian Logo