SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-01 21:21:53

Laurenji

Trying it Out, Liking it So Far

Hi everyone!

I have a 7-year-old laptop which originally came with Windows, which I had installed Ubuntu on in an attempt to resurrect it. That worked for a while until Ubuntu got too heavy, so I started looking around for a lightweight distro that I could try instead. I settled on Crunchbang due to rumors of out of the box Wi-Fi support (as opposed to trying to install some kind of lightweight Debian thing).

I've been running Crunchbang since Saturday and it's working out great! I'm still tinkering around with the settings and configurations, as I'm not used to having so much control over stuff and am still learning my way around a config file, but it's been fun so far.

As you can probably tell, I'm not a very advanced Linux user, but I'm not afraid of things like config files or the terminal as long as I can understand what's going on, so I'm eager to learn.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-07-01 22:42:31

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

Re: Trying it Out, Liking it So Far

Welcome Laurenji to #! Community!,  #! was a great distro that had me diggin and learning more about linux than any other distro.  Trust me, once you get it, its going to be hard to use anything else, at least that is what happened to me.  Openbox ftw!

#3 2013-07-01 22:56:57

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

Welcome to the Crunchbang family Laurenji.

#4 2013-07-01 23:08:48

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Welcome to CrunchBang, Laurenji, and hope you enjoy the distro!

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#5 2013-07-01 23:13:11

arcum
#! Junkie
Website

Welcome Laurenji - Enjoy!

playtime's over - shit just got real

#6 2013-07-02 13:44:15

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

Welcome Laurenji, enjoy learning and the distro. If you have the time to put in you'll soon be comfortable (actually that sounds worse than it is, plenty of distri require more time). Debian is an easy base IMO.

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

#7 2013-07-02 18:25:02

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Welcome aboard Laurenji.

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#8 2013-07-02 23:32:14

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Welcome Laurenji.  There's plenty of material here in the forums to help you learn.

#9 2013-07-04 16:23:11

Laurenji

Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm looking forward to learning more, and everyone seems pretty friendly here, so hopefully I'll be able to learn quite a bit.  smile

#10 2013-07-05 10:01:52

Inalisk

Welcome. Looks like we started this journey about the same time.

#11 2013-07-05 11:20:18

Puffin

Hi!

#12 2013-07-07 23:15:03

wyattderp

Laurenji wrote:

Hi everyone!

I have a 7-year-old laptop which originally came with Windows, which I had installed Ubuntu on in an attempt to resurrect it. That worked for a while until Ubuntu got too heavy, so I started looking around for a lightweight distro that I could try instead. I settled on Crunchbang due to rumors of out of the box Wi-Fi support (as opposed to trying to install some kind of lightweight Debian thing).

I've been running Crunchbang since Saturday and it's working out great! I'm still tinkering around with the settings and configurations, as I'm not used to having so much control over stuff and am still learning my way around a config file, but it's been fun so far.

As you can probably tell, I'm not a very advanced Linux user, but I'm not afraid of things like config files or the terminal as long as I can understand what's going on, so I'm eager to learn.

FIRST: WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!

SECOND:
One of the addicting things about #! is that its something you kinda always want to thinker with. I think @Corenominal did that for a reason. He makes #! is user setup friendly as ubuntu (Sometimes more with that welcome script) So we have more time to think about making #! more personal.

I personally have been using the OS for about a year now and I love it. Yes I have tried to step away from it for a while but NOTHING matches up quite this well. The way I try to explain it is like this. #! is a nice area between the cold floor of Arch Linux and the Spoonfed nature of Ubuntu. This is not to say these two OS are not nice in their own respects its just I love #! and it will likely be the only Linux OS I try to use.

Last edited by wyattderp (2013-07-07 23:17:45)

Red like roses fills my dreams and brings me to the place you rest | White is cold and always yearning burdened by a royal test |Black the beast descends from shadows | Yellow beauty burns gold

Board footer