SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-30 07:48:48

jaffar1967
#! Member

Does anyone knows a good network managing app?

Something to handle wlan, eth and everything available. I looked through the repos and google, can't find anything suitable with a simple gui. I got rid of tint and I'm looking for something to replace the network applet. Thx.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-06-30 08:04:21

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

Re: Does anyone knows a good network managing app?

Ceni

It's not in the debian-repos, but it's a cli-tool programmed in curses that works very well.  I think that the mepis repos has one if you don't want to build it.

Last edited by DebianJoe (2013-06-30 08:05:19)

#3 2013-06-30 08:12:37

jaffar1967
#! Member

Thx, I will give it a try.

#4 2013-06-30 08:14:45

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

Also, if you prefer GUI tools to command line ones, you might want to consider wicd.  It's actually more flexible than Network Manager, and you can control it's gtk interface with hotkeys if you don't want it to be an applet.

...just a thought.  There's lots of ways to skin a cat.

#5 2013-06-30 08:37:45

mynis01
#! Die Hard

I've never tried Ceni so I can't speak to its usefulness but right now I'm using netctl and loving it. WICD always gave me issues with DHCP and would segfault for no particular reason, and network manager has crappy CLI support IMO. I know you requested something with a GUI, but netctl allows you to set up profiles and just switch to them on demand, so it can be pretty quick and efficient once you get it all configured. The WiFiz GUI frontend for netctl is under development and should already be functional enough to use, but you might have to jump through some hoops to install it in debian.

Edit: also, you can still access the network-manager interface without using the tray icon. Just run nm-applet.

Last edited by mynis01 (2013-06-30 08:38:49)

#6 2013-06-30 11:51:02

twoion
Emerald Caffeine

Isn't netctl an Arch Linux project and doesn't it also depend on systemd?

I don't know whether netctl can be used without Arch or whether it does make assumptions about the underlying system that are not compatible with some Debian policy, but even managing a systemd setup in Debian seems to be quite the hassle, at least for now.

あの日の魂は何処へ行ったのだろう

#7 2013-06-30 13:07:13

pidsley
Window Mangler

DebianJoe wrote:

Ceni

It's not in the debian-repos, but it's a cli-tool programmed in curses that works very well.  I think that the mepis repos has one if you don't want to build it.

You can get ceni from the aptosid repo. See the instructions at the end of el_koraco's forst post in this thread: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 44#p171244

I would also recommend this tool. It has worked very well for me when I could not get anything else working.

#8 2013-06-30 14:46:34

iMBeCil
WAAAAT?

@OP:
Not really a solution with GUI, but I also get rid of tint, and I am satisfied with using 'nmcli' (CLI), only.

First, you define all your connections with

$ nm-connection-manager # GUI

It will take care of WiFi passwords, SSID, DHCP settings ... even VPN, ... and so on. After you define all your connections, close 'nm-connection-manager'. (You have to do it only once. And only when you want to define new connection.)

Then you can connect to wireless from CLI with

$ nmcli con up id <somename>  # 'up' -> 'down' for disconnect

where <somename> is name you defined in 'nm-connection-manager' for your particular Wifi or eth connection.

NB1: there is no popup window telling you 'You are connected to blahbla'. If you want to see if you are connected to WiFi, you can for example, add command 'wireless_essid wlan0' to conky (works for me).

NB2: connecting to already defined WiFi or eth works automagically ... as soon as WIFi is in range, I get connected. There is no need to enter 'nmcli ...' command. (For example, after I boot my laptop, approx 18 sec, I am already connected to my home or work or other WiFi.)

NB3: no additional software is needed for above solution; neither WICD nor CENI ...

So far, above works from CLI. However, with a bit of scripting, I am sure it can be done dynamically in OpenBox 'roght-click' menu (see 'man nmcli' for details). There is your GUI, then.

I can specify more details if you need ...

Last edited by iMBeCil (2013-06-30 14:48:41)

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#9 2013-06-30 17:47:25

mynis01
#! Die Hard

twoion wrote:

Isn't netctl an Arch Linux project and doesn't it also depend on systemd?

I don't know whether netctl can be used without Arch or whether it does make assumptions about the underlying system that are not compatible with some Debian policy, but even managing a systemd setup in Debian seems to be quite the hassle, at least for now.

Why yes.....yes it is. Silly me, I had just assumed it was a systemd/pottering thing because of the name. Never mind, carry on then.....

#10 2013-06-30 18:45:23

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

ceni, nothing better IMO

VSIDO | SolusOS

Words That Build Or Destroy

#11 2013-06-30 19:40:29

jaffar1967
#! Member

I'll try this then as ceni doesn't want to work on my side... Thx for the advices.

#12 2013-06-30 19:49:12

iMBeCil
WAAAAT?

^ If this is reply to me ... my 'solution' above is meant for an experienced linux user.

If you are not one, do not hesitate to ask for details.

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

Board footer