SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-06-23 21:27:33

pidsley
Window Mangler

Re: Please fix the iceweasel headache ...

links2 -g
2013_06_23_143049_1280x1024_scrot.jpg
smile

Last edited by pidsley (2013-06-23 21:32:30)

Be excellent to each other!

#27 2013-06-23 21:37:39

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^ Lol ... is that a screenshot of the thread in w3m Pidsley ? big_smile

Touch my monkey, touch my monkey ..... please touch my monkey  monkey ! Oh oh ohhhhh ! Being a dork obviously, its one of those weird mood kinda days for me folks. wink

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#28 2013-06-23 21:48:19

pidsley
Window Mangler

CBizgreat! wrote:

^ Lol ... is that a screenshot of the thread in w3m Pidsley ? big_smile

No. it's a scrot in links2 -g. Links2 has a graphics mode that works well in X (or in a framebuffer). It's a little easier to use than w3m (IMO).

I'm not going anywhere near your monkey...

#29 2013-06-23 21:48:30

ew
#! Die Hard

DebianJoe wrote:

All I'm saying is that with this, "Speehhd dis" and "Load time that" and "RAM usage this" and "Updates that."

w3m is the answer you're looking for. wink

Well, but Chrome can almost compeet with a simple text-based browser like that. FF can also be quite snappy, but without any extensions or addons. That`s the difference between Chrome and FF. While FF quickly gets slow by extensions and plugins, Chrome still remains to be fast regardless of how much you add on it....

As for the look, I don`t get what`s wrong with it. You can theme it any way you want, and at least Chrome has the home button on the left-side, instead of totally misplaced like in Iceweasel. What a strange placement... smile

But nobodys talking about the most important difference, and that is the way Chrome handles settings and bookmarks. I would use Chromium just because of this...

- apt-mark hold account

#30 2013-06-23 21:54:20

ew
#! Die Hard

shem wrote:
ew wrote:
VastOne wrote:

^ In the interest of getting the ISO size down (if there is a real need to), why not get rid of a browser altogether and make several browser choices a welcome script download option?

I know that if Chromium was the default, I would purge it in a heartbeat

To be serious for a while, cause I`m curious. What is it about Chrome/Chromium you don`t like? The GUI and menus are more intuitive than IW/FF. It`s way faster. IW/FF doesn`t come close to Chromium, they can at best compeet with IE or Opera. And most importantly, the sync-solution in Chrome/Chromium couldn`t be imagined any better than it already is.

I'm obviously not VastOne  angel but I dislike several things about Chrom*, things like how it looks and menus not being intuitive and how it (the few times I've tried it) loads links on a page in the background in case I might click on a link on that page, which absolutely kills my connection! So this obsessiveness with speed has the exact opposite effect for me with Chrom* than with IW/FF. Should probably mention my speed currently (and has been for a long time) is 5-30 KB/s... cry

I do not know how Chrome performs on slow or bad connections. But with your connection I wouldn`t think that FF is much better. You should probably use Midori, Epiphany or something like that...

- apt-mark hold account

#31 2013-06-23 21:56:37

pidsley
Window Mangler

^

CBizgreat! wrote:

That's troll bait imo Ew ...

VastOne wrote:

@ew

potato - potahto

tomato - tomahto

The browser war is almost as useless as the editor war. Linux is about choice. You like Chrome (obviously) -- many other people don't.

#32 2013-06-23 22:19:18

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Awesome Pidsley. big_smile

However ...  my monkey is very disappointed that nobody will touch it. sad

Would bytch about Ew hijacking my thread dang it. Except for the fact that I've been profusely participating in hijacking the thread too. Lmao ... try not to be a hypocrite .. sighs.

Really though this is not a this browser vs that browser, this one should be default, no that one. I "like" this feature or layout ... no that suks kinda topic, pin-priority 1001 Pidsley thoughts on it imo. Again though ... everything you mention depends upon x endusers preferences and/or skillz in how abc web browser behaves.

Being anal am going to make a comment though The home icon placement thing. In every major web browser including FF/IW-etc + Chrome + Opera ... The default keyboard shortcut is Alt + home ( key on your keyboard.) Takes you to your homepage. They all have many of the same default keyboard shortcuts.

Also customizing toolbars and layouts in Fireweasel and kin. Takes all of 1min ( unless it's an ancient version anyway) ... Drag and drop the friggin home icon wherever you want ... done. big_smile Anyway ... I'm further derailing this already hopelessly derailed thread ... arghhh. Again +1001 Pidsley, by all means use the browser you like. Am not saying my choice of browser is better than yours. Or install em all lol. No biggie.

Vll!  smile

Ahhhh ! Anal edit take 2 ... why not ?

Also your thoughts on plugins slowing down Fireweasel-etc and not doing likewise in Chrome/ium. Even though am not willing to fire up Chrome and test it. Believe common sense dictates it couldn't be so, jmo ... Also again ... that issue is imo again stemming from the likely fact that you haven't learned much about Fireweasel. There are many solutions to prevent that. Me personally I tend to disable plugins when not using them. Takes 10secs to enable them when I actually want to use x feature.

Orrrrr setup diff mozilla profiles for diff purposes. Someone can setone up for general browsing, one for web dev, one for their gf to use etc etc blahblahblah. It's very easy and also very easy to set up diff key shortcuts or openbox menu options to launch them using a specific mozilla profile, shrugs.

Nother random tip: Applies to Fireweasel + Chrome .. Install bleachbit ( 1st learn to use it though ... don't just install and run wild running it.) It defrags FF/IW sqlite databases and Chromes/iums, shrugs. Which is supposed to be good mojo.

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-06-23 22:51:54)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#33 2013-06-23 22:23:20

ew
#! Die Hard

pidsley wrote:

^

CBizgreat! wrote:

That's troll bait imo Ew ...

VastOne wrote:

@ew

potato - potahto

tomato - tomahto

The browser war is almost as useless as the editor war. Linux is about choice. You like Chrome (obviously) -- many other people don't.

Yes, as you see earlier in the thread I`m quite aware that most bangers don`t fancy Chrome. I was just curious what the reason was, and I`m not sure that I`ve gotten any wiser..., except that it doesn`t look and feel like FF... As for me, I can use any browser, but Chrome is the one that handles all my bookmarks and settings in the best way, and besides being the fastest browser, that`s a really big deal... If Iceweasel could come up with a simmular solution, I would have no issue using it. Heck, even IE is a very good and fast browser after I have deactivated some of the things that MS slows it down with...

- apt-mark hold account

#34 2013-06-23 22:32:45

ew
#! Die Hard

CBizgreat! wrote:

Awesome Pidsley. big_smile

However ...  my monkey is very disappointed that nobody will touch it. sad

Being anal am going to make a comment though The home icon placement thing. In every major web browser including FF/IW-etc + Chrome + Opera ... The default keyboard shortcut is Alt + home ( key on your keyboard.) Takes you to your homepage. They all have many of the same default keyboard shortcuts.

Hihi lol  That doesn`t make it less misplaced, if anything, it makes the button redundant. But there are people that use the buttons, and I`m of those who prefer to move around with the mouse instead of using the keyboard. But it deepends on what I`m doing. If I`m typing with my keyboard, then obviously I use the shortcut-keys, but when I`m just surfing around I don`t always have a keyboard with me, but are just lying on the couch and surfing the net on my bigscreen. Then I have a wireless mouse in my lap, and that`s it.

Last edited by ew (2013-06-23 22:33:17)

- apt-mark hold account

#35 2013-06-23 22:36:32

pvsage
Internal Affairs

CBizgreat! wrote:

Sooner this thread sinks into the digital ether ... probably the better ... blahblahblah.

/couldn't agree more.  (/frequently agrees with Seabiscuit actually. smile )
Unless anyone has anything else to contribute regarding updating Iceweasel to a newer version than the one in the Waldorf repo, I suggest continuing the rest of this discussion elsewhere.  "Thank you for your cooperation." cool

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#36 2013-06-23 23:04:56

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Bows to Pvsages ... sage like wisdom.  glasses

Plus .... awwwww shucks, thanks for the kind words about me occasionally saying summin that makes sense.  ops Also no insult or offense intended towards Ew. Nothing posted here was meant that way. So apologize Ew if any of it was taken thataway. Just offering opinions on stuff that's been said. I can and LITERALLY have spent dys babbling about web browsers.

Vl#!! smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-06-23 23:35:24)

#37 2013-06-23 23:21:32

ew
#! Die Hard

CBizgreat! wrote:

Bows to Pvsages ... sage like wisdom.  glasses

Plus .... awwwww shucks, thanks for the kind words about me occasionally saying summin that makes sense.  ops Also no insult or offense intended towards Ew. Nothing posted here was meant that way. So apologize Ew if it any of it was taken thataway. Just offering opinions on stuff that's been said. I can and LITERALLY have spent dys babbling about web browsers.

Vl#!! smile

I`m really offended. This is the very first time I`ve been accused of highjacking threads in a forum or putting out trollbait... tongue Usually I am the troll big_smile

- apt-mark hold account

#38 2013-06-23 23:36:29

pvsage
Internal Affairs

/going off-topic once again... roll
A lot of people have misunderstandings about what a "troll" is.  The term comes from a type of angling that involves trailing bait on a line behind a boat, so...if you're putting out the bait, you are the troll. wink  I'd be happy to discuss the finer details of this, but not in this thread.

#39 2013-06-24 00:08:34

annoyingbeggar
#! Junkie

ew wrote:

Yes, as you see earlier in the thread I`m quite aware that most bangers don`t fancy Chrome. I was just curious what the reason was, and I`m not sure that I`ve gotten any wiser..., except that it doesn`t look and feel like FF... .

Chrom(e/ium) is dreadfully slow on my netbook and I'd rather just use one browser across systems.

“I don't believe in charity. I believe in solidarity. Charity is so vertical. It goes from the top to the bottom. Solidarity is horizontal. It respects the other person. I have a lot to learn from other people.” - Eduardo Hughes Galeano

#40 2013-06-24 02:11:10

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Annoyingbeggar .. for one thing ... I like your username. big_smile

For another ... as usual totally off topic. Look into Fireweasel tweaks for low speed dial up connections. They are most certainly diff ... Been so long since been on 56k +/- couldn't dredge up some suggestions if wanted to. Plus mozilla based has changed, tweaks that used to work in older versions clearly no longer work in latest versions.

Basically saying if you feel like it ... take the matter up w google jmo.

Could one of the mods close this thread gone awry from hades ? Debated asking for deletion ... Is some interesting info or discussion here me thinks. Think that'd be drastic ... I know I don't like it when/if I spend time typing aka: contributing stuff and have it canned. Seems reasonable to assume others dislike it as much too, @ worst close and let this frigger die a timely death ? Op request/etc. Jmo this thread is going nowhere fast by this point anyway. Do a nigga a favor and close please ?

Thanks in advance ...

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-06-24 03:38:39)

#41 2013-06-24 04:18:09

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Sorry it got out of hand.  We have tried to gently steer it back on course, but we agree with thou; thy thread is now closed. sad

Board footer