SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-21 23:53:38

JaZZyCooL

Install crunchbang on already linux installed partition?

hey guys
    I was searching for long on how to install Linux on windows 8, after a 2 months of efforts and research I was able to install Linux mint 14 on my windows 8. I like Linux mint but not able to learn much from the click and install options also there are some of the packages which I don't even need and also want to learn more about openbox theme configuration, so I was deciding to install crunchbang along side window 8. My question is Can I just install Crunchbang on already existing partition where I have installed Linux mint 14, will it work with it. Anyone with this kind of situation has successfully installed it or anyone who has installed crunchbang on windows 8.

Please help me out guys,

Your help is highly appreciated.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-06-22 09:28:19

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Re: Install crunchbang on already linux installed partition?

If your machine is using GPT/UEFI, take a look here :-
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=27339
(Otherwise it should install normally.)

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#3 2013-06-22 20:12:11

iann
#! Die Hard

If you install on an existing partition, it will wipe the existing install, not work with it.  The installer talks you through your partitions pretty well.  You can create a new partition for #!, then have Windows, Mint, and #! all together.

Pay attention to the boot method, as already mentioned.

#4 2013-06-23 00:52:34

JaZZyCooL

Well, but I don't want Linux mint anymore I just want to have crunchbang so I want to replace it with crunchbang.

#5 2013-06-23 01:43:43

annoyingbeggar
#! Junkie

Choose to edit your partitions manually, the swap should switch over but you need to choose your other partition(s) and select their mount points. If you just want one then make that one /. The installer should give you a warning about having data on the partitions and I believe you can choose to format them from that screen.

“I don't believe in charity. I believe in solidarity. Charity is so vertical. It goes from the top to the bottom. Solidarity is horizontal. It respects the other person. I have a lot to learn from other people.” - Eduardo Hughes Galeano

#6 2013-06-23 02:28:58

JaZZyCooL

Alright but since Linux mint was working my crunchbang would work the same way the mint worked after I remove mint and replace it with crunchbang. Right?

#7 2013-06-23 09:58:00

iann
#! Die Hard

Not necessarily.  Mint will be wiped.  Crunchbang will be installed.  Make sure not to wipe the Windows partition wink  Crunchbang should create a boot menu allowing you to boot to either Crunchbang or Windows, similar to the way it was before although it may look slightly different.

Your only worry is getting the right bootloader installed if you have a GPT partition table.  Since you had Windows installed first (?), you probably don't, but it is as well to check first.  gparted will tell you.  Look at device information on the view menu.

#8 2013-06-23 13:40:44

srisrisri

Is it possible to preserve just the home directories while installing #! on top on an existing installation (wiping out rest is fine)?
--
thanks

#9 2013-06-23 13:52:00

Neil
#! CrunchBanger

@srisrisri - Yes...as long as the home directory is on a separate partition.  If home is on the partition the new install is going to, then it will be lost while formatting the partition for the new install.

#10 2013-06-23 15:41:01

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

You could also copy the current /home/username to a thumb drive or cloud and use what you can after the install is done

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

Board footer