SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-19 22:04:02

v4let3

Autostart programms

Hey guys, been tryin to play with openbox autostart..
My looks like this.

## Run thunderbird (mail service )
icedove &

## Run uttorrent background
qbittorrent &

## Run messenger ( facebook and skype ) 
pidgin &&

But i want those 3 to start at background and actually appear the bar and not pop up at the when my system logs in.

Thnx for ur time,  i hope u understood what i said.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-06-21 02:45:11

shengchieh
#! Die Hard

Re: Autostart programms

For TB on ubuntu, see

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3027057

Don't know qbittorrent and pidgin.  Do a search for

start pidgin background
start qbittorrent background

Sheng-Chieh

#3 2013-06-21 03:47:27

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

With each of those programs you will have to go into their preferences and tell the to start minimized and with a icon in the task tray.

#4 2013-06-21 16:11:30

johnraff
#!Drunkard
Website

shengchieh wrote:

For TB on ubuntu, see

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3027057

Don't know qbittorrent and pidgin.  Do a search for

start pidgin background
start qbittorrent background

Sheng-Chieh

Sheng-Chieh, reading that Ubuntu thread it looks as if you should be able to start any programme minimized in the systray using alltray in autostart
with lines like

alltray command &

no?

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator

#5 2013-06-23 02:43:22

shengchieh
#! Die Hard

I have no clue - never did what wanted - found the thread with a quick search which looks appropriate.
Others, chime in.

Sheng-Chieh

#6 2013-06-23 07:27:59

otak
#! Member

In ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml :

<iconic>no</iconic>
    # make the window iconified when it appears, or not

I have not seen alltray.  When I tried to start pidgin minimised in ubuntu, no suggestions worked including using perl and sed to change the minimised setting in ~/.purple...something just before it launches pidgin.

What worked for me was xdotool.  Made a ~/bin/pidgin, open pidgin, wait 10 seconds, xdotool key alt+space n

good luck!

#7 2013-06-23 10:09:48

iann
#! Die Hard

You say you want them to "appear in the bar".  It isn't entirely clear whether you want them to just be minimised to the tint2 bar like any normal minimised window, or to sit in systray.

To just have them minimised, edit rc.xml, create a new entry for your application in the applications section,  and set the start type to "iconic".  xdotool is unnecessary since this function is built in to openbox.

Starting in the tray requires application support.  qbittorrent has an option to do this automatically, so just set that option.  Pidgin almost certainly does too.  Thunderbird doesn't, or didn't the last time I looked, so you'll need help.  There are addons that will do this for you, including email notification from the tray.  This is probably a better solution than things like alltray that just throw icons into the tray.  Here is an example:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunde … /firetray/

#8 2013-06-23 22:28:32

v4let3

otak wrote:

In ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml :

<iconic>no</iconic>
    # make the window iconified when it appears, or not

I have not seen alltray.  When I tried to start pidgin minimised in ubuntu, no suggestions worked including using perl and sed to change the minimised setting in ~/.purple...something just before it launches pidgin.

What worked for me was xdotool.  Made a ~/bin/pidgin, open pidgin, wait 10 seconds, xdotool key alt+space n

good luck!

This will just wait 10 secs to pop on your desktop, aint  it?

#9 2013-06-23 22:35:31

v4let3

iann wrote:

You say you want them to "appear in the bar".  It isn't entirely clear whether you want them to just be minimised to the tint2 bar like any normal minimised window, or to sit in systray.

To just have them minimised, edit rc.xml, create a new entry for your application in the applications section,  and set the start type to "iconic".  xdotool is unnecessary since this function is built in to openbox.

Starting in the tray requires application support.  qbittorrent has an option to do this automatically, so just set that option.  Pidgin almost certainly does too.  Thunderbird doesn't, or didn't the last time I looked, so you'll need help.  There are addons that will do this for you, including email notification from the tray.  This is probably a better solution than things like alltray that just throw icons into the tray.  Here is an example:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunde … /firetray/

Thnx man i wil try what u said and let u know what's up?
Anyway i want something like windows,  u have the "start ups" programs they start and remain in the bar minimized.

Board footer