SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-21 18:41:16

delph

I like it!

Beware long-winded and possibly uninteresting history...  Wall of text crits you for 1000?

I've been bouncing around linux distros for about six years, starting with a *buntu-based and taking a leisurely trip through Zenwalk, who knows what else I've forgotten (including something with a wolf), and a brief visit to Mint passing through now-discontinued DreamLinux before settling into formerly-sidux for quite a while.  I moved to aptosid when it replaced sidux, and ultimately decided to move on due to the politics and drama.

By that point, I had decided beyond a shadow of a doubt that I never wanted to touch a *buntu again - several years before, actually.  That landed me in LMDE.  I was fine with LMDE for a while - it was based on testing and supposed to be rolling.  I think I ran it for about a year.  I started looking around again for several reasons:

1.  The xfce version was not very xfce.  It was incredibly gnome-heavy, actually.  I got tired of cleaning everything off if I had reasons to reinstall.  (I experienced some hardware issues that led to multiple reinstalls over a short period.  Also, my feline sysadmins are great at eventually causing the distro on my netbook to scream and cry and demand a clean start.)
  2.  Waiting on their update packs that were coming from the Mint distros felt like moving away from my desire for a more Debian-centric system.  It did not meet my criteria of 'rolling'.
  3.  And now they're not even doing an xfce version.  That would be ok, but that level of cleanup from Cinnamon or Mate would be a pain, and I was already not entirely happy anyway.

With my history, what I really wanted was something based on sid, with xfce or something else lightweight that could just co-exist without a ton of gnome or kde libraries.  I didn't want a ton of preinstalled software.  I'm open to trying new software, but in the past six years I've definitely developed a preference for what I like to use.  So why did I wind up on #! since it doesn't seem to meet the first two criteria?

1.  It's very cleanly based on Debian, and it's easy to switch it to sid.
  2.  Multiple lurking visits to these forums over the years has shown you guys are very friendly and don't frown on crazy tinkering.
  3.  Openbox may not be my preference, but it DOES coexist happily with xfce without a ton of extraneous gnome and kde stuff.
  4.  I am entirely too fond of dark grey and black.

Last night I installed #! on my netbook and updated to sid, installed xfce, and I am as happy as I can be with the results.  It's so nice and fast, and there wasn't much cleanup.  I'll be following suit on my desktop this weekend.  I can't wait to see how it smokes on my SSD.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-06-21 18:52:18

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

Re: I like it!

Welcome to the Crunchbang family delph.  It's a pleasure to have you with us.

#3 2013-06-21 19:40:20

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

Welcome to #! Delph!  Great story and way to share your history.  #! thrives on customization and tweaking!

#4 2013-06-21 21:11:14

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

What th3pun15h3r said: Great story, delph. Welcome to CrunchBang and hope you enjoy the distro.

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#5 2013-06-22 09:44:48

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Welcome aboard delph.

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#6 2013-06-22 09:49:35

arcum
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Nice read - it all makes sense... big_smile Welcome aboard delph...

playtime's over - shit just got real

#7 2013-06-23 07:21:51

becker
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Sounds like you'll fit right in delph, welcome to crunchbang

pay the bills with Windows, obssesed with Linux, studying CCNA when I can fit it in.

#8 2013-06-24 18:59:25

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

Yes mate, welcome to #! and the community.

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

#9 2013-06-24 20:26:41

delph

Thanks, all!  I installed on my desktop over the weekend, and I am certainly not disappointed.  I cannot believe how much faster #! is.  Color me very impressed.

Board footer