SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#401 2013-06-12 19:20:53

Nebucatnetzer
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Re: Ideas for Janice

ew wrote:

No need for a ubuntu-based build. There are lots of other distros that you just as well could use if you want that. Distros like Lubuntu, PeppermintOS and WattOS, which all are lxde/openbox-distros. Just remove the lxde-panel and install tint2, and it`s pretty much just as Crunchbang would be if it was based on Ubuntu.

True but would it be possible to cherry pick their hardware support? My laptop run pretty much out of the box with 13.04. Which would be IMO really something nice.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#402 2013-06-13 22:36:01

profoundWHALE

When I install a program, I'd like to have a openbox menu open up, and then select which it would fall under (like Office)

+1 to remove Gimp. It is pretty bloated...
IF vlc is not included...
+1 for systemd
How about replacing Grub2 with Burg? It's prettier and just as fast.
+1 for pulseaudio. Sometimes I just want to plug in my headphones and have music.
+1 for mplayer. I found it's playback quality to be great. Vlc had better performance though.
+1 for a lighter/faster (less memory and cpu) anything. For example, to play 720p mp4 on the pentium 4 I had to get rid of pulse audio. That little bit made just enough of a difference to work. Opened a browser, and half of my memory was taken. I like the functionality and simplicity of pulseaudio which I think outweighs its worse performance

Stay true to functional, simplistic (minimalist), and fast. smile I do like the prettiness though. On that note,

+1 for performance settings that disable more and more unnecessary performance hurting pretties.

Last edited by profoundWHALE (2013-06-14 04:10:08)

#403 2013-06-13 23:30:55

Ponox

th3pun15h3r wrote:

a #! distro based on sid called #! ANIMAL!

I would LOVE an official variant tracking testing/Sid, the lack of an official testing version has kept me away from #! lately, I much prefer testing over stable.

th3pun15h3r wrote:

adding the multimedia debian repos by default.

I was under the impression that the multimedia repos were obsolete now, but I may be wrong.

profoundWHALE wrote:

+1 for performance settings that disable more and more unnecessary performance hurting pretties.

Conky, I'm looking at you.

Last edited by Ponox (2013-06-13 23:32:17)

Who am I? Who I am doesn't matter. All you need to know is that I run GNU+Linux.

#404 2013-06-13 23:42:49

annoyingbeggar
#! Junkie

profoundWHALE wrote:

+1 for mplayer. I found it's playback quality to be great. Vlc had better performance though.

I have the exact opposite experience re:VLC. When I tried to use it on my netbook it nearly took the whole thing down. I removed it and used mplayer2/smplayer and was able to have the video in the background (I needed to hear the audio and occasionally watch) and still have LibreOffice Writer open. I was actually going to come in here to suggest removing it for a CB themed smplayer. VLC works fine on my desktop but that is a much higher performance computer.

It seems like a lot of people are recommending SpaceFM and while I like it, I think Thunar 1.6 is far better.

Removing Geany for Leafpad would be nice, or at least make Leafpad the default OOB. Geany is a fantastic editor but when you just need to edit a text file it's a bit of overkill.

I fully support the idea of getting rid of Abiword and Gnumeric. I don't understand why they always get included in everything. In the case of AbiWord, I think Ted is a good replacement. It's lighter weight and has less dependencies than AbiWord as well. I'm not sure of a replacement for Gnumeric but it is not as bad.

I think having a default music player to be installed is always going to be a problem because it is so subjective. There are a number of lightweight options that work great. I think if the goal is userfriendliness the audacious or xmms2  are fantastic options but I'd just as well like to see none included.

I personally don't care to see the install fit on a CD because I don't have a need to use CDs to install. For those who do there are options out there already which aren't as pretty but which probably run better on older hardware OOB. If a CD is the goal then I think a separate "light" release would be better suited. You could remove the bling that comes with standard #! but have a separate version for those who still want it.

“I don't believe in charity. I believe in solidarity. Charity is so vertical. It goes from the top to the bottom. Solidarity is horizontal. It respects the other person. I have a lot to learn from other people.” - Eduardo Hughes Galeano

#405 2013-06-13 23:47:00

Ponox

annoyingbeggar wrote:

I personally don't care to see the install fit on a CD because I don't have a need to use CDs to install. For those who do there are options out there already which aren't as pretty but which probably run better on older hardware OOB. If a CD is the goal then I think a separate "light" release would be better suited. You could remove the bling that comes with standard #! but have a separate version for those who still want it.

There are always netinstall ISO's like the one Debian distributes.

Who am I? Who I am doesn't matter. All you need to know is that I run GNU+Linux.

#406 2013-06-13 23:54:48

ew
#! Die Hard

Nebucatnetzer wrote:
ew wrote:

No need for a ubuntu-based build. There are lots of other distros that you just as well could use if you want that. Distros like Lubuntu, PeppermintOS and WattOS, which all are lxde/openbox-distros. Just remove the lxde-panel and install tint2, and it`s pretty much just as Crunchbang would be if it was based on Ubuntu.

True but would it be possible to cherry pick their hardware support? My laptop run pretty much out of the box with 13.04. Which would be IMO really something nice.

It would be no problem to cherry pick Ubuntus`s hardware support, but the philosofy in Debian is a bit different, and distros that offers to much non-free software by default isn`t really accepted in the Debian community.

- Vacant account

#407 2013-06-14 00:01:27

ew
#! Die Hard

profoundWHALE wrote:

When I install a program, I'd like to have a openbox menu open up, and then select which it would fall under (like Office)

+1 to remove Gimp. It is pretty bloated...
IF vlc is not included...
+1 for systemd
How about replacing Grub2 with Burg? It's prettier and just as fast.
+1 for pulseaudio. Sometimes I just want to plug in my headphones and have music.
+1 for a lighter/faster (less memory and cpu) anything. For example, to play 720p mp4 I had to get rid of pulse audio. That little bit made just enough of a difference to work. Opened a browser, and half of my memory was taken. I like the functionality and simplicity of pulseaudio which I think outweighs its worse performance

Stay true to functional, simplistic (minimalist), and fast. smile I do like the prettiness though. On that note,

Personally I think Crunchbang performs more than good enough. It`s just as fast as the so called lightweight-distros, even though it`s not a truly minimal distro. Its just the desktop enviroment that is minimal. So Crunchbang outperforms anything you can compare it to, and there is no need to favour performance in a higher degree than what`s already done.

- Vacant account

#408 2013-06-14 00:13:36

ew
#! Die Hard

Well, I have one addition that I think that Crunchbang should add, and that is a email-client like "Icedove". Of course I can install it myself, but with apps in almost all categorys, there probably should be one for email also. I just installed Icedove yesterday, and I really like it:)

- Vacant account

#409 2013-06-14 00:24:30

clifford

Built in colour calibration software and monitor profiling  would be nice, like dispcalGUI and a settings option

#410 2013-06-14 05:05:36

anonymous
The Mystery Member

annoyingbeggar wrote:

It seems like a lot of people are recommending SpaceFM and while I like it, I think Thunar 1.6 is far better.

Out of curiousity what do find better about Thunar?

annoyingbeggar wrote:

I think having a default music player to be installed is always going to be a problem because it is so subjective.

Isn't this thread proof enough that our choice of all applications is subjective? tongue

#411 2013-06-14 05:15:43

Nebucatnetzer
#! CrunchBanger
Website

ew wrote:
Nebucatnetzer wrote:
ew wrote:

It would be no problem to cherry pick Ubuntus`s hardware support, but the philosofy in Debian is a bit different, and distros that offers to much non-free software by default isn`t really accepted in the Debian community.

Ah okay. I could live with that just fine. You can't win everything. I'm more interested that it works when it's open source it's just an additional bonus.

About the software that is included. I would rather have that all the "user" software (don't know how you call that) get's removed altogether. Then endless changes. In exchange an extended start script might be an idea.

Last edited by Nebucatnetzer (2013-06-14 05:20:59)

#412 2013-06-14 05:32:18

annoyingbeggar
#! Junkie

anonymous wrote:
annoyingbeggar wrote:

Out of curiousity what do find better about Thunar?

annoyingbeggar wrote:

I think having a default music player to be installed is always going to be a problem because it is so subjective.

Isn't this thread proof enough that our choice of all applications is subjective? tongue

Thunar is just more functional for me, especially on a small screen. On a netbook screen, SpaceFM feels cluttered and clunky by comparison and takes a lot longer to make functional. It works great with the idea of #! in being highly configurable, but it needs to be setup with a really strong base so that people who don't want to configure things that much can use it. I stress far better because it's just as fast, and I love the "Open a terminal here" and "Open a root terminal here" option. I also like the option to open in a new window, I sometimes will have a few tabs open and it just becomes easier to open a folder in a new window.

And of course its all subjective, but in the 15 or so years that I've been using computers and the internet to listen to music, music players seem to get everyone riled up the most. I like audacious and xmms2 because I used to Winamp tongue

Last edited by annoyingbeggar (2013-06-14 05:35:41)

“I don't believe in charity. I believe in solidarity. Charity is so vertical. It goes from the top to the bottom. Solidarity is horizontal. It respects the other person. I have a lot to learn from other people.” - Eduardo Hughes Galeano

#413 2013-06-15 06:35:27

profoundWHALE

annoyingbeggar wrote:
profoundWHALE wrote:

I have the exact opposite experience re:VLC. When I tried to use it on my netbook it nearly took the whole thing down. I removed it and used mplayer2/smplayer and was able to have the video in the background (I needed to hear the audio and occasionally watch) and still have LibreOffice Writer open. I was actually going to come in here to suggest removing it for a CB themed smplayer. VLC works fine on my desktop but that is a much higher performance computer.

I disabled a couple things, like brought down post processing and slected "Skip All" for the reference frames and such. I also disabled something like system overlay. I kept hardware acceleration because then it would drop frames and/or do less motion prediction with the interview frames (keeping the CPU just under 97%) It also has more options for the video output.. I even tried everything but default just to see what works. It'd always be unwatchable.

Last edited by profoundWHALE (2013-06-15 06:37:06)

#414 2013-06-15 14:59:49

hsp70

I love using waldorf and it's been pretty perfect for me however is there a better alternative to compton and the unavoidable screen tears when using VLC?

#415 2013-06-16 00:43:49

Ponox

Rather than arguing over preinstalled applications, why not just add them all into a big list in the post install script? That way many different applications can all be used while maintaining the #! experience.

#416 2013-06-16 05:03:50

anonymous
The Mystery Member

I would say there's a few arguments against having such a list:

• The list would either be excessive in length or it be cut short
    and then people would ask "Why not include program X?"

• Programs can be easily installed/removed

• People wanting minimal bloat can opt to doing netinstalls

Last edited by anonymous (2013-06-16 05:04:22)

#417 2013-06-16 08:04:49

flopbury

firefox please!  angel

--------
----
--
-

#418 2013-06-16 08:37:10

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ Firefox is already there; Debian spells it "Iceweasel".

Yes; as a matter of fact, I am a cop.  Why do you ask? cool
I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#419 2013-06-16 14:07:43

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

i have a few ideas, but most prominent to me has to be:

as well as openbox, lets have spectrwm ootb too.   or some other tiling window manager?  (pytile doesnt cut it)  wink

ps, is obkey usable on debian yet?  might be a welcome addition for many.   ... which also makes me think...  xbindkeys for shared keybinds between openbox and the tiling window manager.    ooh, and a toggle keybind, that lets you jump between the two wm effortlessly.  that'd be nice.

~ think ~

without a shot fired
quote of the mo: ""... i realised it's simpler to make a statue to someone who you believe embodies all your better qualities, than it is to actually improve yourself" ... "so i have decided to go away. i will return when i have found a way to destroy this, while keeping the message intact"  -G'Kar

#420 2013-06-16 14:38:33

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

not sure if this idea is in the wacky category...

a world file (like from gentoo).

the nearest thing debians have by default, a file full of the thousands of applications installed.  everything you've told to be installed, and all the dependancies and libs etc that got installed with them, and everything that was already installed ootb.

a "world file", would contain ONLY the packages you've explicitly (implicitly?) told the package manager to install.  you can then take this file, and tell the package manager to install all the packages listed in the file (and their dependancies).

maybe this would prove awkward to implement, idk if that would involve hacking source code, or just some clever apt configuring, but i'm sure it'd be easy to at least have an option in the post install script to install packages from a file.   ~ wont have the auto updating of the world file quite the same way, but at least folks could manually write their own lists, ready to plug into their fresh crunchbang installs.  ... could likely work out other means of automation script magic for the full gentoo-like world file behaviour later after this rudimentary package installation list idea.

a lot of us love crunchbang as "a blank canvas", a great starting place, with the perfect balance of convenience to light-minimalism, and then we learn many tricks, pick up many preferences...  i imagine this, and other similar plug-in-your-own-file-for-this-that-and-the-other portions of cb-welcome would be quite welcome to those of us who've had a case of crunchbangitis for a while. wink

~ think ~

without a shot fired
quote of the mo: ""... i realised it's simpler to make a statue to someone who you believe embodies all your better qualities, than it is to actually improve yourself" ... "so i have decided to go away. i will return when i have found a way to destroy this, while keeping the message intact"  -G'Kar

#421 2013-06-16 14:47:29

Nebucatnetzer
#! CrunchBanger
Website

One minor thing I would like to see, is the ability to press escape to close the exit window.
I'm sure the is a way on how I could do that myself and I certainly will look for it but it's just something that should be default IMO.

#422 2013-06-16 14:59:58

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Digit wrote:

not sure if this idea is in the wacky category...

a world file (like from gentoo).

the nearest thing debians have by default, a file full of the thousands of applications installed.  everything you've told to be installed, and all the dependancies and libs etc that got installed with them, and everything that was already installed ootb.

a "world file", would contain ONLY the packages you've explicitly (implicitly?) told the package manager to install.  you can then take this file, and tell the package manager to install all the packages listed in the file (and their dependancies).

Someone suggested a similar idea in a different thread:

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 80#p302280

#423 2013-06-16 15:58:15

th3pun15h3r
#! Junkie

I think the default software is great great honestly for best ootb experience for a minimal distro for your basic computer needs.  I would like to see some of the features from modern distro's implimented out of the box (Aero snap with the mouse especially for both monitors I hear using wmcntrl you can do that for keybindings not sure for using a mouse with it though lxle linux uses it. hot corners and have the hotcornersrc in the settings menu and daemon in autostart.sh).  Also I kind of don't like the pipemenu's that give you the option to install things or not.  I would rather have the default software installed and let me remove them and make my own menu's like how statler was (unless it is something that is super had and complicated for users to install themselves).

#424 2013-06-17 01:31:40

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

Can we reduce Janice's size to be able to fit on a disc instead of a dvd? It's easier to get blank discs, plus they're cheaper than blank DVD's...just a thought.

"The time we wish we spent but lost it all."
- Coheed and Cambria.

my favorite distros: solyd xk | kwheezy

Be excellent to each other!

#425 2013-06-17 01:34:09

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

pvsage wrote:

^ Firefox is already there; Debian spells it "Iceweasel".

It's kind of funny how even if you're using Iceweasel some websites need to read it as "FIREFOX" to make them function properly...most of us know that Firefox is Iceweasel, but some still feel the need to see the label up there just in case. Also, if you check the latest version of iceweasel, it is also the latest version of Firefox! I dont' know why people complain about Iceweasel if it's the same friggin' thing as firefox.

"The time we wish we spent but lost it all."
- Coheed and Cambria.

my favorite distros: solyd xk | kwheezy

Board footer