SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-06-12 15:15:59

AnInkedSoul
#! CrunchBanger

Re: Hey all #! Need your mighty fine helping hands here.... [SOLVED]

debian is always the answer

refracta although you would have to apt-get openbox, fluxbox, or lxde since it is xfce
http://sourceforge.net/projects/refract … isohybrid/

Last edited by AnInkedSoul (2013-06-12 15:20:48)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#27 2013-06-12 15:24:31

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

machinebacon wrote:

@DebianJoe: You, my dear friend, need "CLIt" (the flavour, that is) kiss There's no need for XFCE and all that graphical fugliness when there's calcurse and tina, wordgrinder and sc, tinyirc and mutt,  links2 and mpg123 big_smile

I tried out "Boner" a while back.  If it wasn't so "bloated" I would have stuck with it.  devil  I am currently about to be running a susestudio build, but assuming that I get bored (which is VERY possible), I'll give it a go.

#28 2013-06-12 17:28:51

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

machinebacon wrote:

@DebianJoe: You, my dear friend, need "CLIt" (the flavour, that is) kiss There's no need for XFCE and all that graphical fugliness when there's calcurse and tina, wordgrinder and sc, tinyirc and mutt,  links2 and mpg123 big_smile

I'm gonna go ahead and try this one, i'm kinda scared though, many have told me that it's another thing to venture into the "debian sid" based world....I think someone here warned me that BBQ was debian sid based....oh well will see what I can do with it.

"The time we wish we spent but lost it all."
- Coheed and Cambria.

my favorite distros: solyd xk | kwheezy

#29 2013-06-12 19:21:56

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

@nebulaehair: you can try it on a stick as Live system, the stuff like update && dist-upgrade works there as well (but of course gets lost after a reboot). Don't be too scared of the word "Unstable", it only describes the fluctuation of packages (new ones coming in, and they have passed the hands of the developer, it went through experimental, and then established a place in unstable). Even with experimental sources enabled, and packages from there, Debian is still solid.  [aptosid/siduction/VSIDO/linuxbbq] wouldn't release Unstable if it was crap smile

Edit: for the win.

Last edited by machinebacon (2013-06-13 05:38:11)

#30 2013-06-12 20:42:12

pvsage
Internal Affairs

machinebacon wrote:

They wouldn't release Unstable if it was crap smile

Debian does not release Unstable, or even Testing for that matter.  I take it you meant "The packages wouldn't make it into Unstable if they were crap"? wink

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#31 2013-06-13 04:09:23

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

Peter,

if they don't release unstable, how would people be able to get the packages from their repos? Notice the use of 'to release' as verb, not as noun. But of course I could have tried to get into the details a bit more: not Debian Unstable gets released, but the packages therefrom. Hope this clears up misunderstandings (that never been there, supposedly). But for that matter, unstable gets releases via aptosid, siduction, semplice, VSIDO, just to name a few.

Secondly, they do release Testing, it is even on  their website: http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/

Edit: link

Last edited by machinebacon (2013-06-13 04:24:09)

#32 2013-06-13 04:25:32

intoCB
Scatweasel

Julius,

To make available is not to release. People often speak of alpha or beta releases but the only true release is a release. Manjaro, for example, has not been released yet. There's a certain level of commitment and quality implied in a release, which is not applicable to pre-release testing versions e.g. Debian unstable.

$ cat */*

#33 2013-06-13 04:37:06

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

IntoCB,
OP asked which Debian/Ubuntu-based ISO fits a CD, and now the hijack goes to what is an official Debian release and what not. Manjaro is not a Debian-based release, so it's not the point to talk about what Arch does.

Debian Unstable (SID) is not a Debian release (as in Installation Media, though even this can be discussed). It is a package tree. The packages find their way (are released) via the package repository of Debian unstable. Debian Testing (Jessie) is a Debian release. The packages come from Unstable. I don't know what these fake misunderstandings are about!?

Now please, back to the topic.

#34 2013-06-13 04:42:10

anonymous
The Mystery Member

machinebacon wrote:

I don't know what these fake misunderstandings are about!?

Semantics and words (in this case: release) with multiple definitions  tongue

#35 2013-06-13 04:46:03

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

^ And it wasn't even "distribute" tongue

#36 2013-06-13 04:53:17

intoCB
Scatweasel

The point was that pre-releases are allowed to be crap because the idea is that they are for testing, not for certainty.

Anyway, let's not fight. Let's just agree that I win wink

$ cat */*

#37 2013-06-13 05:08:13

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@machinebacon:  What intoCB said; Squeeze has been officially released, whereas Jessie has not (and will not be "until it's ready"), and Sid never will.  Yes, Aptosid, Siduction, Semplice, VSIDO, et. al. are releases based on sid, but they are separate distrolets, much like CrunchBang is a distrolet based on Debian Stable.  Their releases are not official Debian.  Also, I wholeheartedly agree with you; we should allow this thread to return to topic. monkey

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#38 2013-06-14 02:41:51

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

Please, no fighting. Someone already hijacked one of my previous threads going off topic and it was completely unnecessary. I just want to know what distros that are either Debian or Ubuntu (preferably stable releases) fit on a disc and that can work out of the box (meaning it can detect wifi cards, etc). I remember when Crunchbang used to fit on a disc, now it moved to fit on a dvd, kinda sucks...until I get my hands on some blank dvd's I'll have to use a distro that can fit on a disc.

- Coheed and Cambria.

#39 2013-06-14 03:49:18

annoyingbeggar
#! Junkie

nebulaehair wrote:

Please, no fighting. Someone already hijacked one of my previous threads going off topic and it was completely unnecessary. I just want to know what distros that are either Debian or Ubuntu (preferably stable releases) fit on a disc and that can work out of the box (meaning it can detect wifi cards, etc). I remember when Crunchbang used to fit on a disc, now it moved to fit on a dvd, kinda sucks...until I get my hands on some blank dvd's I'll have to use a distro that can fit on a disc.

AntiX is Debian-based (testing) and even the full install can fit on a disk. The community isn't as active as here but it is just as helpful. A day's setup and you can get fluxbox to look like #! if you want.

http://antix.mepis.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

This is my antiX desktop:
5aseqv5m.png

Memory use is better since switching to the 3.9 kernel and going from xcompmgr to compton.

“I don't believe in charity. I believe in solidarity. Charity is so vertical. It goes from the top to the bottom. Solidarity is horizontal. It respects the other person. I have a lot to learn from other people.” - Eduardo Hughes Galeano

#40 2013-06-14 05:35:22

lxle

anonymous wrote:

Any significant differences between Lxle and Lubuntu?

Many, although this page isn't a complete list of differences, particularly some of the underneath tweaks and mods, but gives you a decent idea.  LXLE is what I like to refer to as the Shelby Mustang of Lubuntu,,   its still Lubuntu but a decked out modded version. Its sticks with LTS releases to ensure support for aging hardware.. Not going to get into to much here on the crunchbang forums, just wanted to reply to your question.

http://lxle.net/index.php?id=lxlekeydifferences

#41 2013-06-14 08:45:15

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

annoyingbeggar wrote:
nebulaehair wrote:

AntiX is Debian-based (testing) and even the full install can fit on a disk. The community isn't as active as here but it is just as helpful. A day's setup and you can get fluxbox to look like #! if you want.

http://i.imgur.com/5aseqv5m.png

Memory use is better since switching to the 3.9 kernel and going from xcompmgr to compton.

this is great news...unfortunately for some reason the torrent dowload didn't do it for me, i'm gonna try the other alternative to see how it goes.

- Coheed and Cambria.

#42 2013-06-14 14:35:01

annoyingbeggar
#! Junkie

nebulaehair wrote:
annoyingbeggar wrote:
nebulaehair wrote:

this is great news...unfortunately for some reason the torrent dowload didn't do it for me, i'm gonna try the other alternative to see how it goes.

What's happening with the torrent?

“I don't believe in charity. I believe in solidarity. Charity is so vertical. It goes from the top to the bottom. Solidarity is horizontal. It respects the other person. I have a lot to learn from other people.” - Eduardo Hughes Galeano

#43 2013-06-14 17:55:29

anonymous
The Mystery Member

lxle wrote:
anonymous wrote:

Any significant differences between Lxle and Lubuntu?

Many, although this page isn't a complete list of differences, particularly some of the underneath tweaks and mods, but gives you a decent idea.  LXLE is what I like to refer to as the Shelby Mustang of Lubuntu,,   its still Lubuntu but a decked out modded version. Its sticks with LTS releases to ensure support for aging hardware.. Not going to get into to much here on the crunchbang forums, just wanted to reply to your question.

http://lxle.net/index.php?id=lxlekeydifferences

Thanks; that answers my question fairly well.

#44 2013-06-15 03:40:30

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

annoyingbeggar wrote:
nebulaehair wrote:
annoyingbeggar wrote:

What's happening with the torrent?

I have no idea, I finished the download and burned it correctly into a disc but it wouldn't boot up (and I know that I have to change my laptop's bios in order for rit to read the disc so that's not the issue) it happens to me with the bhodi one too don't know why

- Coheed and Cambria.

#45 2013-06-15 05:37:51

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Did you try the disc in another computer? Have you tried putting the ISO on a USB instead? Does the ISO work in a virtual machine?

#46 2013-06-15 05:41:46

annoyingbeggar
#! Junkie

Did you check the md5sum on the torrent? I never made a CD of it so I'm not sure. Does it not boot at all, or does the launch menu boot and the image doesn't?

#47 2013-06-16 20:18:57

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

annoyingbeggar wrote:

Did you check the md5sum on the torrent? I never made a CD of it so I'm not sure. Does it not boot at all, or does the launch menu boot and the image doesn't?

I think the issue here is that I've not been checking the md5sum, I may have to do some research on how to perform a md5sum check....i'll tell you guys what happened later after that.

- Coheed and Cambria.

#48 2013-06-16 22:26:18

hhh
Caught in the Vortex

Just wanted to mention that I've tried plenty of ISOs that would transfer fine with dd and if they didn't then Unetbootin worked, and vice versa.

#49 2013-06-17 04:24:22

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

hhh wrote:

Just wanted to mention that I've tried plenty of ISOs that would transfer fine with dd and if they didn't then Unetbootin worked, and vice versa.

Thanks for the heads up!

- Coheed and Cambria.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#50 2013-06-19 10:04:20

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

I wanted to come here to say thank you to all of you dudes who helped or tried to help by suggesting some interesting lightweight distros, but alas, I finally managed to get my hands on some blank dvds which means I can now run back to my beloved crunchbang ! (by far my favorite of all distros, it just WORKS out of the box......fantastic!)

- Coheed and Cambria.

Board footer