SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#76 2013-02-19 16:29:50

txbahai
#! CrunchBanger
Registered: 2013-02-05
Posts: 175

Re: Recommend me a good, free email service.

schwim wrote:

You would be mistaken to assume that any host (including HostGator) would not hand your info over in anything more than a nanosecond, if prompted.

Handing Data over is one thing.... But it is an option if you don't want your data scanned for data that helps push you adverts.

I could be wrong....but I think it may be a little bit better than a hotmail, yahoo, or gmail in that standpoint.


Kindest Regards,
Tim A

Offline

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#77 2013-02-19 16:32:37

schwim
#! Die Hard
From: Interweb's #1 Devotee
Registered: 2012-10-11
Posts: 592

Re: Recommend me a good, free email service.

If you're aiming toward privacy, anything short of an encrypted mail sent through a private tunnel to a computer outside of any entities' control would fall short.  You would be very unlikely to achieve that.

If you're that concerned you're better off passing handwritten notes and asking them to eat it when they're done.

Offline

#78 2013-02-19 16:34:47

schwim
#! Die Hard
From: Interweb's #1 Devotee
Registered: 2012-10-11
Posts: 592

Re: Recommend me a good, free email service.

txbahai wrote:

Handing Data over is one thing.... But it is an option if you don't want your data scanned for data that helps push you adverts.

So you're ok if your data is browsed because a server tech making minimum wage is bored on his lunch break, as long as a computer algorithm doesn't scour your 0's and 1's for a matching advertisement?

Interesting.

Offline

#79 2013-02-19 16:50:25

txbahai
#! CrunchBanger
Registered: 2013-02-05
Posts: 175

Re: Recommend me a good, free email service.

schwim wrote:
txbahai wrote:

Handing Data over is one thing.... But it is an option if you don't want your data scanned for data that helps push you adverts.

So you're ok if your data is browsed because a server tech making minimum wage is bored on his lunch break, as long as a computer algorithm doesn't scour your 0's and 1's for a matching advertisement?

Interesting.

Not really...again at that point no one is free from snooping. Just saying that particular thing could happen anywhere. But I think the odds are it is a little more private than that email provided by search companies.

Again, I am a gmail user.. I am just offering an option other than.  It's not the best, maybe not the worst.

On the other hand, Microsoft 365 supposedly meet s hippa requirements, which would mean your email should be pretty secure.  Of course it would require going to the darkside.


Kindest Regards,
Tim A

Offline

#80 2013-02-19 16:56:46

intoCB
Scatweasel
Registered: 2012-10-25
Posts: 1,859

Re: Recommend me a good, free email service.

Schwim may occasionally come across as the milkman of human unkindness but there is much wisdom in his misanthropy.


Sticks and stones may break my bones but Martin Amis irks me.

Offline

#81 2013-02-19 17:04:11

schwim
#! Die Hard
From: Interweb's #1 Devotee
Registered: 2012-10-11
Posts: 592

Re: Recommend me a good, free email service.

txbahai wrote:

Not really...again at that point no one is free from snooping. Just saying that particular thing could happen anywhere. But I think the odds are it is a little more private than that email provided by search companies.

I guess it depends on your definition of private.

txbahai wrote:

On the other hand, Microsoft 365 supposedly meets hippa requirements, which would mean your email should be pretty secure.  Of course it would require going to the darkside.

If you're going the pay route, as with 365, there's tons of hippa-compliant competitors, in the event that you've decided Microsoft is even a smidgen worse than any other for-profit corporation in the world.

Offline

#82 2013-02-19 17:20:26

schwim
#! Die Hard
From: Interweb's #1 Devotee
Registered: 2012-10-11
Posts: 592

Re: Recommend me a good, free email service.

intoCB wrote:

Schwim may occasionally come across as the milkman of human unkindness but there is much wisdom in his misanthropy.

That may be the nicest thing anyone's said about me.  There's not a lot of competition, however.  My dad once told me I was a burden and my mom told me to put the shirt back on the rack because fat people shouldn't wear horizontal stripes.

Offline

#83 2013-02-19 18:06:15

Sector11
77345 ¡#
From: SR11 Cockpit
Registered: 2010-05-05
Posts: 9,902
Website

Re: Recommend me a good, free email service.

Privacy in it's purest form has never existed.

Years ago someone somewhere knew something about you and someone else something else ... etcetra
Get all those "someones" together and there you are ...

... and in today's computerized, smart cell phone, smart TV, game console, GPS connected world ...  data collecting is everywhere you cannot get away from it.

Just remember the bytes of info about you that you save from XYZ email server is being collected by ZYX search engine and what they have missed ... it's probably on a social networking website somewhere because someone who knows you has just shared it on their page. devil

IE:  Relax - enjoy - use technology - and pass the bananas monkey

=======================
“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you”
― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Last edited by Sector11 (2013-02-19 18:08:42)

Offline

#84 2013-02-19 19:02:56

intoCB
Scatweasel
Registered: 2012-10-25
Posts: 1,859

Re: Recommend me a good, free email service.

schwim wrote:
intoCB wrote:

Schwim may occasionally come across as the milkman of human unkindness but there is much wisdom in his misanthropy.

That may be the nicest thing anyone's said about me.  There's not a lot of competition, however.  My dad once told me I was a burden and my mom told me to put the shirt back on the rack because fat people shouldn't wear horizontal stripes.

Funny, isn't it? You need a licence to have a dog but any idiot who can't be bothered with contraception can bring new human beings into the world.

It's the parents I blame.

PS. The horizontal stripe thing - beloved of the rugby community - is not actually true, according to scientific research. More medieval mumbo jumbo polluting our quotidienne.


Sticks and stones may break my bones but Martin Amis irks me.

Offline

#85 2013-03-20 19:25:08

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard
From: Earth
Registered: 2012-10-05
Posts: 573

Re: Recommend me a good, free email service.

ivanovnegro wrote:

^ If I were you I would stop to use the webmail interfaces. wink All things Google you say, then you are on the wrong forum, it is tracked AFAIK by Google Analytics.

(emphasis added)

^^ Which, I have just discovered, is extremely easy to disable using Ghostery under Iceweasel.

Offline

#86 2013-04-29 17:32:54

JWJones
#! Member
From: Cascadia
Registered: 2009-02-23
Posts: 63

Re: Recommend me a good, free email service.

eyeofliberty wrote:

For most general email purposes:

lavabit.com

For my secure, encrypted email:

riseup.net

I found another one that looks promising, security/privacy focused:

https://countermail.com/


LinuxBBQ • Slackware • antiX
Thinkpad T61 – Intel Core2 Duo T7300 @ 2.00 GHz

Offline

#87 2013-05-16 13:34:52

Eren
#! Die Hard
From: Black Mesa
Registered: 2009-07-27
Posts: 830

Re: Recommend me a good, free email service.

I have 2 questions;

1. Anybody got e-mail from Lavabit?
2. Today, I'm getting a login problem at Lavabit, saying "username not found or password incorrect". But I can open Preferences section with my username and password. Probably, Lavabit suspended my account without information and no reason. I sent them an e-mail to save my account because my whole accounts in the internet binded with it. They still didn't replied anyway. Damn Lavabit. So, anybody getting an error like mine today? Will they check it for me if they got Lavabit?

Offline

#88 2013-05-16 13:46:52

carlikis
New Member
Registered: 2012-11-09
Posts: 3

Re: Recommend me a good, free email service.

Hi !

Same problem, I can access prefrences, but I can't login

Regards

Offline

#89 2013-05-16 13:50:11

Eren
#! Die Hard
From: Black Mesa
Registered: 2009-07-27
Posts: 830

Re: Recommend me a good, free email service.

Ohh, thank you carlikis. Probably technical difficulties then.

Last edited by Eren (2013-05-16 13:51:08)

Offline

#90 2013-05-16 15:56:48

vlax
#! Member
From: Alcatraz
Registered: 2012-12-25
Posts: 77
Website

Re: Recommend me a good, free email service.

Eren wrote:

They still didn't replied anyway. Damn Lavabit. So, anybody getting an error like mine today? Will they check it for me if they got Lavabit?

same here, I can access to the preferences panel but imap is rejecting my login hmm

Offline

#91 2013-05-16 16:55:42

Sector11
77345 ¡#
From: SR11 Cockpit
Registered: 2010-05-05
Posts: 9,902
Website

Re: Recommend me a good, free email service.

Eren wrote:

I have 2 questions;

1. Anybody got e-mail from Lavabit?
2. Today, I'm getting a login problem at Lavabit, saying "username not found or password incorrect". But I can open Preferences section with my username and password. Probably, Lavabit suspended my account without information and no reason. I sent them an e-mail to save my account because my whole accounts in the internet binded with it. They still didn't replied anyway. Damn Lavabit. So, anybody getting an error like mine today? Will they check it for me if they got Lavabit?


This happens once every year or as they update a server... never last longer than "at max" a day, usually only hours.  I've been using lavabit for years.  Longest outage was two days about 4 years ago when they moved and put in a new server, and cleaned out a "few users" that were using their system for spamming.

I'm quite happy with lavabit.

Offline

#92 2013-05-16 16:55:51

Eren
#! Die Hard
From: Black Mesa
Registered: 2009-07-27
Posts: 830

Re: Recommend me a good, free email service.

Now, I can access my e-mails. Lavabit returns normal I think. Thanks.

Offline

#93 2013-05-16 16:58:26

Eren
#! Die Hard
From: Black Mesa
Registered: 2009-07-27
Posts: 830

Re: Recommend me a good, free email service.

@Sector;
>This happens once every year or as they update a server.

I didn't know this mate. But thanks for the info. I'm quite happy with Lavabit too, but this sudden thing made me nervous. Whole account connected with it.

>cleaned out a "few users" that were using their system for spamming

Yeah they're closed new account for a little while I know that.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Eren (2013-05-16 16:58:58)

Offline

#94 2013-05-16 17:08:43

vlax
#! Member
From: Alcatraz
Registered: 2012-12-25
Posts: 77
Website

Re: Recommend me a good, free email service.

Eren wrote:

I'm quite happy with lavabit.

service is now alive and kicking smile  i'm a happy user too!

Offline

#95 2013-05-26 23:11:45

Menschenkind
#! CrunchBanger
Registered: 2011-08-20
Posts: 120

Re: Recommend me a good, free email service.

Eren wrote:

Yeah they're closed new account for a little while I know that.

They're still or again closed. After all the good I read about lavabit, this was a letdown. I mailed them anyway and, after a day, was told they're under persistent attack by spammers which found a way past their captcha-mechanism – imagine the rest. But despair not, they happily created the account manually. I found this so pleasing that I felt obligated to share it with you.

Last edited by Menschenkind (2013-05-26 23:20:32)

Offline

#96 2013-05-26 23:43:45

Eren
#! Die Hard
From: Black Mesa
Registered: 2009-07-27
Posts: 830

Re: Recommend me a good, free email service.

^It's really great to hear mate. Yeah, they're very helpful, I sent them 2 support mails and got reply very gentle. Happy for you! Welcome to Lava.  devil

Last edited by Eren (2013-05-26 23:44:01)

Offline

#97 2013-06-03 01:58:26

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard
From: Earth
Registered: 2012-10-05
Posts: 573

Re: Recommend me a good, free email service.

Not free, but I purchased a Personal Enhanced account from fastmail.fm this afternoon. It's all cozy with my custom domain, and I'm really impressed thus far.

Offline

#98 2013-06-07 16:12:22

km00
#! CrunchBanger
Registered: 2013-02-17
Posts: 123

Re: Recommend me a good, free email service.

I'm going to have to second lavabit.
I sent them an email to see when there registrations would open back again and after giving an explanation, the guy from support offered to manually create an account for me. Oh, and the reply was under 24h - talk about effectiveness!


In the Service of General Cuckoo

Offline

#99 2013-06-13 23:24:01

Ponox
New Member
From: /home/Ponox
Registered: 2013-05-05
Posts: 9

Re: Recommend me a good, free email service.

For absolute privacy, I'd recommend hosting your own. A Rasberry Pi can handle the load for a small $35 down payment and pennies a month for power. With that you are able to choose, and customize your own web interface from a wide array of panels, which also means no ad's, and demands as many resources as you want.

Of course you'd also have to buy a domain name (unless you wanted to use the raw IP), which will only run you around $10 a year.


Who am I? Who I am doesn't matter. All you need to know is that I run GNU+Linux.

Offline

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#100 2013-06-14 02:45:55

cpoakes
#! Member
From: Tucson, Arizona
Registered: 2012-05-19
Posts: 58

Re: Recommend me a good, free email service.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Raspberry Pi.  But it will cost you more than $35 bucks by time you add a case, power supply, and DVI/HDMI adapter (assuming you have a mouse, keyboard and standard monitor).   $70 bucks or more is not an unusual startup cost for a RaspPi system.

A more cost effective solution for a tiny server is to recycle a x86 thin client.  There are lots available cheap on eBay that include a case and power supply for $25 or less with shipping.  Like the Pi, most are fanless and can run headless.  Unlike the Pi they connect to a standard VGA or DVI monitor without an adapter.  VIA processors are common and at 800MHz or greater they outperform the Pi's ARM.  They are not as power efficient as the Pi, but the typical 20W or less is acceptable.    Occasionally there are bargains on faster Geode, Sempron, and Atom based systems.

For the OS, you can install and boot a standard Crunchbang, Debian, Lubuntu, or Xubuntu x86 distro on a 4GB flash drive.  Or you can often fit TinyCore, Puppy, or SLiTaz into the native DOM flash.  And there are stable open source drivers for ALL the hardware.

Check out the Thin Client resources at parkytowers: 
Thin Client Main Page,
Larger Linux  Distributions
Thin Client Hardware List

Want to run Crunchbang?  Consider any VIA/AMD/Intel thin client at 800MHz or faster, with 256MB or greater.  If you find a bargain with less than 256MB RAM, it can still be worth the purchase.  Do your homework as most memory (but not all) can be easily upgraded.


programming and administering unix since 1976 (BSD, System III, Xenix, System V, Linux)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB

Copyright © 2012 CrunchBang Linux.
Proudly powered by Debian. Hosted by Linode.
Debian is a registered trademark of Software in the Public Interest, Inc.

Debian Logo