SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#126 2013-05-11 11:23:41

hq
#! Member
Website

Re: Ideas for Janice

kbmonkey wrote:

I can't wait to see what the new release will bring big_smile

If I could have but one new feature OTB: backups!

+ cb-* script to (re)configure your backup
+ cb-* script to perform the backup
+ cb-* script to restore a backup from a live environment
+ option to backup /home, or any selection of partitions, or the entire drive
+ option for encryption

I think many folks here would appreciate this feature, nothing fancy, just functional.

That would be so cool (:

Dell Studio 1555

Be excellent to each other!

#127 2013-05-11 17:09:03

bwat47

I highly disagree with removal of pulseaudio, stuff like HDMI output on my laptop works far better with it.

#128 2013-05-11 18:22:01

ISeeYou

Change terminator to LXTerminal which has just basic preferences and starts much faster.

#129 2013-05-11 19:28:54

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Add SpaceFM and udevil.

#130 2013-05-11 20:39:22

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

Also can Janice be like Waldorf but with added bits of coolness here and there? I really like Waldorf. I'm at that point where I now know which linux distro is my favorite and I can easily say that #! is my favorite. I'm really looking forward for Janice's release. How about you guys include Guayadeque Music Player to #! ? Just a thought (one of the best music players out there imo).

Last edited by nebulaehair (2013-05-11 20:40:37)

"The time we wish we spent but lost it all."
- Coheed and Cambria.

my favorite distros: solyd xk | kwheezy

#131 2013-05-11 21:45:25

babouk
#! CrunchBanger
Website

damo wrote:
intoCB wrote:

One thing someone mentioned earlier that would be great is menus that updated themselves. I have seen these in Manjaro Openbox and it would be a really nice feature.

I know this gets raised a lot, but one of the things I like about OB is that menus DON'T get auto-updated! I can arrange them how I like

+1
smile

waldorf | openbox
pekwm

#132 2013-05-12 02:34:37

saneks
#! Die Hard

i tried to remember what the old thread was called and it popped up again today...
Crunchbox - saving, restoring and sharing your OB, wallpaper, theme etc...
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=17149

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

#133 2013-05-12 03:10:15

DapperMe17
#! CrunchBanger

How about you guys include Guayadeque Music Player to #! ? Just a thought (one of the best music players out there imo).

Nice idea.

Not as minimal as a Deadbeaf, but +1 for Shoutcast support OOB.

wink

#134 2013-05-12 04:09:30

mynis01
#! Die Hard

DapperMe17 wrote:

How about you guys include Guayadeque Music Player to #! ? Just a thought (one of the best music players out there imo).

Nice idea.

Not as minimal as a Deadbeaf, but +1 for Shoutcast support OOB.

wink

I use shoutcast streams with mocp and deadbeef out of the box in waldorf, no issues here.

#135 2013-05-13 00:23:24

Kernel Oopzer

Hello Janice
Hello Corenominal
Hello all

When you hard install #! the partition manager is not good enough ...
You can't make difference between several same sized hardisks ...
                                         -:-
Abiword is not good, ok another one  could be better, that's important but these choices are already well done by corenominal or some other that are very clever ... after you can do what you want ... light is better ;-)
Thank you for your job, you have made what #! is today, an absolutly excellent distro

But there is one real challenge, the graphic drivers install !

Nothing to help this step

Graphic drivers install is a real problem each time you install on a different machine
Many users are lost when X doesn't start after a bad graphic drivers update, it happens when you try to install Nvidia drivers
Same problem with ATI that's not easy enough to install catalyst

Can something be done to help that step ? may be in 'Settings' or  'System'

Why do you need

sudo ln -s /usr/share/phpmyadmin /var/www

to get  http://localhost/phpmyadmin working ?

Definitely i prefer Geany :-D

For my Christmas i'd like a better partition manager for hard install and a graphic drivers installer  angel

#136 2013-05-13 00:32:12

Erik
#! CrunchBanger

He all,

My two cents...

1) keep it snappy (not necessarily the same as light weight)
2) +1 for pulse, it makes my Skype headaches go away!
3) +1 for Guayadeque Music Player: simple, full-featured and quite lightweight.
4) +1 for the post-install scripts.

#137 2013-05-13 05:49:05

kbmonkey
#! Die Hard
Website

We must keep in mind the context of a Live Environment, along with minimalism defined as "it is better to not install something, than to remove it after the fact."

I feel Guayadeque and friends will just add cruft to the live environment (You already have gnome player), and not everyone will use it post install.

I just ran through the cb-welcome script, it could benefit from a section dedicated to media players ITR wink

#138 2013-05-13 11:16:44

ew
#! Die Hard

+1 lightdm
+1 vlc and gimp as postinstall
+1 Gnumeric and Abiword as postinstall option, together with LibreOffice or NONE.

That way the CB-iso should fit fine on a cd/rw...

But I don`t think that you should switch to "systemd" because it needs the newest kernels to perform  well. With older kernels there aren`t really anything to gain from it. It could even slow down boot. It slows down boot of  Waldorf with kernel 3.2.0.4, at least with my pc....

Don`t change Thunar either. As it is configured in CB-now, it is perfect. I`m also happy with Terminator, but perhaps replace Geany with something else, because I don`t like the icon for Geany, and it`s impossible to make tint2 choose another icon for Geany in the tint2-taskbar.  big_smile

- apt-mark hold account

#139 2013-05-13 11:24:08

saneks
#! Die Hard

kbmonkey wrote:

We must keep in mind the context of a Live Environment, along with minimalism defined as "it is better to not install something, than to remove it after the fact."

well said. if I need barebones debian with openbox, I could use linuxbbq. writing now from a perfectly working #! livesystem with everything I need. stripping quality progams strips the user experience while testdriving. just saying..

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

#140 2013-05-13 11:26:59

Yoyo
Website

I like it as it comes Waldorf, just add some programs by default, as:

-Thunar 1.6.2
-Shutter
-Deadbeef
-Gajim
-Pidgin
-Firefox
-Turpial

CrunchBang 11 Waldorf 32bits

#141 2013-05-13 12:39:54

ew
#! Die Hard

kbmonkey wrote:

I feel Guayadeque and friends will just add cruft to the live environment (You already have gnome player), and not everyone will use it post install.

I just ran through the cb-welcome script, it could benefit from a section dedicated to media players ITR wink

There could be two isos. One full live cd with all apps present, and another iso that`s stripped down to go below the 700mb limit..., with a extended post-install script.
I have a hard time keeping the live enviroment in mind, because I never use it. It`s just to slow... When we get really speedy usb3-pendrives, then it becomes more relevant. But even if usb-thumbs today are marked usb3, they still are to slow to use for a live-enviroment. At least for me...

- apt-mark hold account

#142 2013-05-13 13:28:14

gebbeth

Many terrific ideas here but there's two i am particullary in favour for:

Deadbeef
Since i'm a huge music nerd, Deadbeef is a must have. Not only is it the most versatile player on Linux, but also a great audio tool for transcoding and splitting lossless images/tracks for portable use, which eliminates the need of installing extra software.

Abiword
Abiword is unreliable & eager to crash. . This has been pointed out in other threads.

My own feeble suggestions:

Gnumeric
To me: useless bloat. Like Abiword, i never use this (i use Google Docs). If i wanted an office solution, i'd install LibreOffice (which is easily available for install).

The Crunchbang Wallpapers
This is also something i don't use, mostly because they're ugly & impractical (from my point of view). I rather have one single good wp to match the theme instead bunch of logos that just take up space.

Single Desktop instead of Multi
Once again, this is a matter of personal taste. But to me, this function in unnecessary since i'm on a laptop and have never encountered a situation where i felt i needed more desktops.

Last edited by gebbeth (2013-05-13 13:29:52)

#143 2013-05-13 15:08:01

anonymous
The Mystery Member

@gebbeth - Just curious: how would using a laptop affect your need (or lack thereof) for multiple desktops?

IMO, if you have a laptop then its probably a lower resolution than most desktop monitors. Furthermore when you are on the go you won't have access to other monitors so having multiple desktops is a nice alternative.

#144 2013-05-13 15:23:14

ew
#! Die Hard

gebbeth wrote:

Single Desktop instead of Multi
Once again, this is a matter of personal taste. But to me, this function in unnecessary since i'm on a laptop and have never encountered a situation where i felt i needed more desktops.

This doesn`t save anything, it`s just a setting in obconf where you set the number of desktops, and another setting in the tint2-config where you choose between single and multi. Personally I need more that one desktop, because I`ve got a lot going at the same time, and it`s easier to organise if you f.ex. use one desktop for web-browser, transmission, vlc etc..., while you keep another desktop for terminal, filemanager and texteditor...

But now you know how to change it. Just do it. No need for Phillip to change the configs for you. There is a reason why obconf and tint2-config are present in the settings-menu...

- apt-mark hold account

#145 2013-05-13 16:03:59

gebbeth

@anonymous
Because my laptop is old & shitty. It only has one VGA port that is broken. Also i just find multiple desktops messy & ineffective. But some people enjoy that kind of setup.

@ew
Of course i know it's easy to change the number of desktops. It was merely an idea, not an demand. Might as well been the other way around.

#146 2013-05-13 16:50:40

Kernel Oopzer

We must keep in mind the context of a Live Environment

No, not only at least ... May be i'm wrong but on official #! website we can read :

The primary aim of the CrunchBang project is to produce a stable distribution offering the best possible out-of-the-box Openbox experience.

For me that doesn't mean #! is a live environment dedicated distro ...
Hard install is offer in ISO, so it is not forbidden smile

Those who are interested in live environment are right to discuss packages ... that's good
I don't discuss packages.
Because i only use hard install for a better experience, i think Janice could come with a better partition manager for the install process.
I pretend the actual one is not convenient enough ...

When you hard install, you can't reach the best experience without installing graphic drivers
This step is often a nightmare with linux
As we are dreaming about the next release of #!, i suggest something could be imagine to help during this step.

This is just a suggestion that can help hard installers ... I'm not looking for war smile be sure i have enough enemies .. please peace

#147 2013-05-13 20:03:32

hq
#! Member
Website

Kernel Oopzer wrote:

We must keep in mind the context of a Live Environment

No, not only at least ... May be i'm wrong but on official #! website we can read :

The primary aim of the CrunchBang project is to produce a stable distribution offering the best possible out-of-the-box Openbox experience.

For me that doesn't mean #! is a live environment dedicated distro ...
Hard install is offer in ISO, so it is not forbidden :)

Those who are interested in live environment are right to discuss packages ... that's good
I don't discuss packages.
Because i only use hard install for a better experience, i think Janice could come with a better partition manager for the install process.
I pretend the actual one is not convenient enough ...

When you hard install, you can't reach the best experience without installing graphic drivers
This step is often a nightmare with linux
As we are dreaming about the next release of #!, i suggest something could be imagine to help during this step.

This is just a suggestion that can help hard installers ... I'm not looking for war :) be sure i have enough enemies .. please peace

I'm with you on this one, and what you said earlier about the graphic drivers. I remember Mint used to have (maybe still does) a special external driver install program, that checks for drivers and then installs what is needed. Unfortunately it didn't always work...

Dell Studio 1555

#148 2013-05-13 20:29:22

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

So a install script for nvidia and and/ati proprietary drivers in the settings or system menu and maybe add it to the cb-welcome script?

#149 2013-05-13 20:30:31

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ Or smxi as part of the script or install

VSIDO | SolusOS

Words That Build Or Destroy

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#150 2013-05-13 20:44:30

slartie
#! Member
Website

I may be wrong here, but it seems to me that the welcome script, at least in part, is what makes #! so special. The gist of what I'm getting from this thread so far, is that just about everybody would like a much more in-depth "welcome experience" with a bunch of options for what to load up on the system - both catering to the GUI and the CLI crowd.

Sound about right?

Board footer