SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-24 02:52:06

codingman
#! Junkie

Thanks for creating a lightweight distro that's simple!

I had been distro hopping from a Fedora 18 install when I came across #!. I decided to give it a try as well as some other distros, e.g. Bodhi, Gentoo, OPENSuse, Mint, SliTaz, etc. So I burned them to some disks and gave them a spin. Some were mediochre, some had so much eye-candy they made me gag, and the remaining took me too much time to install (e.g. Arch). Then there was a compromise of both simplicity and a graphical installation so that It wouldn't take me too long to install at the time. That one OS was Crunchbang. I want to thank the developers for all their hard work. Believe me, I have dealt with some junky OS's over the years, and this one is NOT part of that very long list.

P.S. I reccommend having an vomit-resistant computer to use for distro hopping. Especially with KDE distros.

Last edited by codingman (2013-04-24 02:53:33)

U iz not goin to getz an anzer frm me if u tip lik dis  mad

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-04-24 03:10:39

txbahai
#! CrunchBanger

Re: Thanks for creating a lightweight distro that's simple!

Welcome sir, happy to have you around.

Kindest Regards,
Tim A

#3 2013-04-24 03:15:55

douglas
#! CrunchBanger

codingman wrote:

P.S. I reccommend having an vomit-resistant computer to use for distro hopping. Especially with KDE distros.

Ha!  lol

#4 2013-04-28 20:56:09

codingman
#! Junkie

Oh, and one other thing, thanks for not having 2000+ different rules on the forums. See, when you try to have a discussion on some other forum (say, ubuntuforums) and some mod comes along and closes the thread, saying that the posts that have been posted don't comply with the Forum Rules. I just know that some mod here is going to kill this thread too, due to me potentially bashing another forum within this post.

#5 2013-04-28 21:12:12

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ I'm a moderator here, and I approve this post. cool

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#6 2013-04-28 21:29:02

codingman
#! Junkie

^Thanks.  tongue

#7 2013-04-28 23:21:34

hammy_283
#! Member

Hi coding man and welcome to crunchbang. I have also tried so many distros. At one point in trying distros, I lost a few pounds due to some nauseating environments. My family and friends thought I was anorexic. lol

#8 2013-04-29 05:17:57

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

codingman wrote:

I just know that some mod here is going to kill this thread too, due to me potentially bashing another forum within this post.

As long as the only thing you have against Arch or Gentoo is the install time, then I have to say that I fail to see where anything you said wasn't factual.

#9 2013-04-29 22:49:04

costeelation

so happy #!  big_smile

#10 2013-05-11 01:47:25

ew
#! Die Hard

I  agree completely. Haven`t tried KDE in many years, so I tried the new aptosid kde-release, and I have nothing against aptosid, I love the xfce-release. But KDE? I can`t describe how bad I thought it was. If KDE had been the only GUI in Linux, then I would have preferred any MS-release, even ME, Vista and W8, which are the worst ones.  So bad do I think that KDE is. It sucks bigtime:)

- apt-mark hold account

#11 2013-05-11 05:31:09

rjpope42

I don't find KDE that bad, it's just incredibly feature heavy (takes some getting used to)

I've been distro hopping for about a year
I've finally settled into Kubuntu on my massive powerhouse computer that's dual booting win 7 (only for word tongue)
and...
#! on everything else!!

#12 2013-05-11 11:36:10

ew
#! Die Hard

rjpope42 wrote:

I don't find KDE that bad, it's just incredibly feature heavy (takes some getting used to)

I've been distro hopping for about a year
I've finally settled into Kubuntu on my massive powerhouse computer that's dual booting win 7 (only for word tongue)
and...
#! on everything else!!

Ok, it`s all about preference I guess. Perhaps Kubuntu is configured to be usable out of the box. Most buntu`s are just that:)

- apt-mark hold account

#13 2013-05-11 12:51:32

Alefa

Imho, KDE is an excellent desktop environment for more powerful computers, but it did take a long time until I got used to it. I'm not using all of the advanced features, but I've really come to rely on some of them. KRunner is a great launcher for everything, programs, files, websites etc. I also really like the way I can control the window manager with keyboard shortcuts. Another nice feature is the modularity and integration of the KDE programs. For example, Konsole (the terminal program) can be used as a standalone program, as an integrated terminal in Kate and Dolphin, and as a dropdown terminal (Yakuake).
Whether one likes the look of KDE is a matter of taste, of course, but that can be changed. You can give it a very minimalistic look if you want.

#14 2013-05-11 13:52:27

ew
#! Die Hard

Alefa wrote:

Imho, KDE is an excellent desktop environment for more powerful computers, but it did take a long time until I got used to it. I'm not using all of the advanced features, but I've really come to rely on some of them. KRunner is a great launcher for everything, programs, files, websites etc. I also really like the way I can control the window manager with keyboard shortcuts. Another nice feature is the modularity and integration of the KDE programs. For example, Konsole (the terminal program) can be used as a standalone program, as an integrated terminal in Kate and Dolphin, and as a dropdown terminal (Yakuake).
Whether one likes the look of KDE is a matter of taste, of course, but that can be changed. You can give it a very minimalistic look if you want.

Sure, but I have a certain way of doing things, and it didn`t work to well with KDE. A simple task like using a file manager to open files as root was difficult, permissions were handled differently and my user wasn`t even added to the sudo group. Of course I could have fixed the permissions issue, and installed file-managers that I`m more used to. But it would have taken quite some time to configure a setup that`s usable to me. Nautilus with nautilus-scripts is a lot more usable than Konqueror. But it didn`t seem to be worth the effort to configure it. What`s the point in using a kde-distro, if you are replacing the kde-apps with other apps?

- apt-mark hold account

#15 2013-05-11 14:33:26

Alefa

ew wrote:

A simple task like using a file manager to open files as root was difficult, permissions were handled differently and my user wasn`t even added to the sudo group.

When I need to edit a text file as root, I use vim or nano on the console, not the GUI programs. But I know that Krusader (the total commander-style file manager of KDE) has a special root mode. Maybe you could try that one next time. No idea why your user wasn't in the sudoers group, but that can't be a problem of the desktop environment, can it?

#16 2013-05-11 16:08:13

ew
#! Die Hard

Alefa wrote:
ew wrote:

A simple task like using a file manager to open files as root was difficult, permissions were handled differently and my user wasn`t even added to the sudo group.

When I need to edit a text file as root, I use vim or nano on the console, not the GUI programs. But I know that Krusader (the total commander-style file manager of KDE) has a special root mode. Maybe you could try that one next time. No idea why your user wasn't in the sudoers group, but that can't be a problem of the desktop environment, can it?

Nope, that is probably aptosid who set it up like that, because setting up a root-account was mandatory during the install. Probably they thought that there is no need for a user to be in the sudo-group, when the root-account is enabled. Now, that`s a very small issue, and easy to fix. The real turnoff was the file-management. I prefer using the same gui for handling files, whether it`s as root or as a user.

Therefore, the right-click open as root in Thunar is exellent. SpaceFM also lets you open files as root from the tools menu, and Nautilus is very easy to configure with nautilus-scripts that you place in .gnome2 ....

I find myself constantly in the need to open files and  folders as root, because I`m always configuring stuff. If I were to do that stuff in vim or nano on the console, then I wouldn`t need a graphical desktop at all..., because then I might just as well be in text-mode all the time.

I`ve only used nano a couple of times, and that went just fine, but I didn`t have a running desktop because I messed up my autostart-file and was forced to use it. Even though that was no problem, it wouldn`t be my preferred choice for editing files..., but it`s ok as a backup when the desktop is failing:)

- apt-mark hold account

#17 2013-05-11 16:31:43

Alefa

ew wrote:

Therefore, the right-click open as root in Thunar is exellent. SpaceFM also lets you open files as root from the tools menu, and Nautilus is very easy to configure with nautilus-scripts that you place in .gnome2 ....

Dolphin and Konqueror have the option of adding right-click actions called "service menus", which are very similar to the right-click options in Thunar. You can define your own actions or install those provided at kde-look.org directly from within the file manager. For example, you might like the "root actions service menu": Link

You see, all the functionality is there, only some of it is not well documented.

#18 2013-05-11 17:48:55

ew
#! Die Hard

Alefa wrote:
ew wrote:

Dolphin and Konqueror have the option of adding right-click actions called "service menus", which are very similar to the right-click options in Thunar. You can define your own actions or install those provided at kde-look.org directly from within the file manager. For example, you might like the "root actions service menu": Link

You see, all the functionality is there, only some of it is not well documented.

I don`t doubt that, but it`s to much hazzle just for distrohopping. If I really intended to use KDE then it would be another mather, then I would visit forums and wiki`s to get it fixed to my liking. But I can`t really see myself using it, because no mather what I try, I end up back at CB and openbox. That`s what happened with Ubuntu and Unity also. I liked the look a lot, but I didn`t like the cost it came with. My new pc is fully capable to run everything, but when you know how fast it can be, then you don`t settle for anything slower...., and KDE is a lot slower...

- apt-mark hold account

#19 2013-05-11 18:05:25

Alefa

ew wrote:

My new pc is fully capable to run everything, but when you know how fast it can be, then you don`t settle for anything slower...., and KDE is a lot slower...

Yes, well, that depends on the hardware I guess. On my very powerful work laptop Kubuntu is not slower than Crunchbang with Openbox (at least it doesn't feel slower, haven't measured it). Unity on the other hand is definitely slower, and also buggier. So for me the best thing is to use Kubuntu on the work laptop and Crunchbang on my private machine. I like them both.

#20 2013-05-11 20:02:53

ew
#! Die Hard

Alefa wrote:
ew wrote:

My new pc is fully capable to run everything, but when you know how fast it can be, then you don`t settle for anything slower...., and KDE is a lot slower...

Yes, well, that depends on the hardware I guess. On my very powerful work laptop Kubuntu is not slower than Crunchbang with Openbox (at least it doesn't feel slower, haven't measured it). Unity on the other hand is definitely slower, and also buggier. So for me the best thing is to use Kubuntu on the work laptop and Crunchbang on my private machine. I like them both.

Yes, but I haven`t tried Kubuntu. I`ve tried Lubuntu and Xubuntu, both very fast. And of course Ubuntu with Unity and with Classic Gnome. But not tried Kubuntu, I will download it now, and give it a go...It`s probably better out of the box that Aptosid is...,so I`ll give it a serious go to see if I can get to enjoy it.  But first I have to finish downloading Slackel Openbox 3.0.... there, now I`m downloading Kubuntu 13.04 64 bit... I hope it will be a pleasant surprise... big_smile

- apt-mark hold account

#21 2013-05-12 09:44:55

hhh
Caught in the Vortex

codingman wrote:

Stop it. KDE is freaking gorgeous...
tYTVieA

If my puter had the resources, I'd use it in a heartbeat. Too many config options? Isn't that part of the reason you started using Linux in the first place?

#22 2013-05-12 11:03:57

ew
#! Die Hard

hhh wrote:
codingman wrote:

Stop it. KDE is freaking gorgeous...
http://ompldr.org/tYTVieA

If my puter had the resources, I'd use it in a heartbeat. Too many config options? Isn't that part of the reason you started using Linux in the first place?

Yes, that`s partly the reason, but it still has to be functional right out of the box, so that the process of configuration doesn`t become a pain. The basics has to be in place, and be working. It`s limited how much work I will put into testing a new distro or an alternative DE/WM. It have to give a nice first impression, so that I get interested in configuring it, instead of getting turned off.

Remember, it`s only Crunchbang that`s permanently installed on my computers, and with Crunchbang there is no limit to what I would do to make it work for me. But it`s different with a distro that I just want to try for a couple of hours... If I really intended to keep a KDE-distro, then I would do the effort.  But it`s not worth days of configuring, when the end result probably isn`t gonna please me. I doubt that I get KDE to coldboot in less than 5 seconds....

- apt-mark hold account

#23 2013-05-12 12:22:58

Alefa

@ew: As I mentioned, it took me quite a while to get used to KDE, but now configuring a new Kubuntu installation to my liking takes definitely less time than doing the same on Crunchbang. That's just because I know my way around KDE, whereas openbox, tint2 and the rest are new to me. I'm having fun configuring Crunchbang on my private computer, but at the moment I wouldn't put it on my work computer because there I have to be really efficient and not waste time trying to make things work. I guess for you it's the other way around.

@hhh: Very nice desktop! KDE can be made to look very good, although I slightly prefer the look of GTK apps.

#24 2013-05-12 15:32:24

hhh
Caught in the Vortex

^Thanks, that was a short lived install on my desktop a year or more ago. I would like more than a gig of RAM to run KDE, but that seems silly when even GNOME runs fine on a gig or less. I also have always preferred GTK apps. But I am a sucker for transparency with Gaussian blur, freaking gorgeous.

@ew, I am mystified by people's obsession with boot times. Do you cold boot 5 times a day? Start the computer, grab a drink of water and it's ready.

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2013-05-12 16:29:12

ew
#! Die Hard

hhh wrote:

^Thanks, that was a short lived install on my desktop a year or more ago. I would like more than a gig of RAM to run KDE, but that seems silly when even GNOME runs fine on a gig or less. I also have always preferred GTK apps. But I am a sucker for transparency with Gaussian blur, freaking gorgeous.

@ew, I am mystified by people's obsession with boot times. Do you cold boot 5 times a day? Start the computer, grab a drink of water and it's ready.

I never used to cold boot before, but I switched to ssd and systemd, and  Crunchbang boots so fast that I might as well shut it completely off, instead of hibernate or sleep.... But it`s not only the boot-time, it`s the experience of instant reaction after each click. You click, and pop, there it is. A few ms here and there makes all the difference....

- apt-mark hold account

Board footer