SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-12 08:35:33

demian

Problems with xmodmap on waldorf

When I generate a .Xmodmap-file:

$ xmodmap -pke > ~/.Xmodmap

and afterwards load the generated Xmodmap-file with

$ xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap

crunchbang hangs up: no prompt on terminal; mouse-buttons doesn't work anymore; openbox-keybindings doesn't work - the only thing that still works is the terminal-process (in which I started the xmodmap-command). I am able to stop the process ($xmodmap ~.Xmodmap) hitting ctrl-c and I can execute bash-commands. (But I can't control anything else, neither with mouse nor with keyboard).

Any idea, why this doesn't work (it's a fresh installation of waldorf on a dell inspiron 1501 - and everything else works so fine, smooth and fast - that's why I am so in love with crunchbang!!!)?             

Background:
I just want to modify the keyboard-behaviour (making the CAPS-Lock working as an ESC-key). I've done this so many times on different machines and different systems (even with statler and with waldorf) and never had a problem.
(PS:  The above described problem happens always - even if I do no change on the ~.Xmodmap-File)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-05-12 10:36:01

xaos52
The Good Doctor

Re: Problems with xmodmap on waldorf

this is how it should be configured now with xkbmap in stead of xmodmap.

Last edited by xaos52 (2013-05-12 10:36:40)

#3 2013-05-13 19:55:20

demian

@xaos52: Thanks for the hint. It took me a while to understand how it works under xbkmap  - but I finally managed to change the behaviour of the CAPS-Lock-Key!!!

The only thing I don't understand: I've got two laptops (a dell 1501 and a ibm t60) - on both i made a fresh waldorf install and on both machines I tried to modify the keyboard-behaviour with xmodmap (as discribed in post above). On one machine (Dell) it didn't work, but on the other (ibm) It worked. I don't understand that. Does anybody have an explanation (It's no problem - I just try to understand).

#4 2013-05-14 08:52:23

xaos52
The Good Doctor

It is probably one of these little 'mysteries' that pop up now and then in software. I am sure there is a logical explanation for this symptom, but it is not immediately clear to me neither and it would take an inappropriate amount of time to find out.

For such little things it is best to accept them, find a workaround and move on.

Happy hacking smile

#5 2013-05-15 16:18:54

demian

@xaos52: Yes you are right. There ist no need to analyze every single msysterie. Thanks for the hint to the workaround for my problem.

Board footer