SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-09 05:05:44

thezenofjosh

A newcomer with just a couple of questions before install.

Hello everyone,

I have just a couple of questions before install. I have downloaded the crunchbang cd and transferred it to usb with linux live installer in Windows. I am getting ready to install it.

First question is, does the install let me keep Windows? I don't plan on using Windows, except for a couple of Steam games and Guild Wars 2, if this Linux is as good as some co-workers and friends tell me, but because of those games, and just in case, I'd like to keep it (for now, anyway). I was told it would be ok, but I'm kind of nervous. I just don't want to press the wrong button and lose everything.

The people who recommended Crunchbang said I would have to learn to script to make my own menus. Is there a handy way of doing this? I don't at all mind learning but I don't have the slightest where to start.

I understand that this is a long-term install because of the Debian Linux it is made from? I would never install the  Ubuntu or the Red Hat I was recommended before because I don't want to have to reinstall everything every six months. I just fairly recently upgraded from WinXP when I got this laptop, if that says anything.

I am sure I will have another thousand questions after I install, but I think that's it for now. Just looking for answers (re-assurances? lol) to the above.

Thank you very much.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-05-09 05:49:53

th3pun15h3r
#! Junkie

Re: A newcomer with just a couple of questions before install.

Hi thezenofjosh and welcome to #! forums! 

"First question is, does the install let me keep Windows?"

As far as I remember it didn't on Statler and I am not for sure on Waldorf

"I don't plan on using Windows, except for a couple of Steam games and Guild Wars 2, if this Linux is as good as some co-workers and friends tell me, but because of those games, and just in case, I'd like to keep it (for now, anyway)."

I actually ran Guild Wars 2 Beta on linux fine via wine and the windows steam client works great as well..played Rage, Dead Island, Torchlight 1 and 2 and Left4Dead 2 which... is now available for beta on the steam native linux client!  I use playonlinux a frontend for wine makes it really easy to play most windows games on linux...check out jakejw93's youtube channel he has played tons of windows games on linux such as crysis 2 and skyrim!

"The people who recommended Crunchbang said I would have to learn to script to make my own menus. Is there a handy way of doing this? I don't at all mind learning but I don't have the slightest where to start."

OBMENU makes adding items to your openbox menu super easy which is what I use instead of editing the menu.xml file.  Just need to know what you would type in terminal to start a program which is usually the program example: Skype...type skype in terminal hit enter..boom.  As far as learning you will learn alot from using crunchbang and the forums here and the irc channel on freenode (start xchat and connect and it will connect you to freenode defaulting to #crunchbang and #crunchbang-offtopic) are great resources and awesome community to help you!

"I am sure I will have another thousand questions after I install, but I think that's it for now. Just looking for answers (re-assurances? lol) to the above."

use that magnifying glass in the forums first with your question because most likely we all were in your shoes and someone else has probably posted what you needed also ask Dr. Google.  Otherwise everyone on the forums are really cool and will try to help in anyway we can.  Rest Assured I was not sure of #! but as I used it I discovered more and more about the distro and linux and now #! is my main rig by by windows smile

again welcome to #! and happy H4CK1NG!

#3 2013-05-09 05:58:28

thezenofjosh

Thank you for replying! I called a friend, who talked me through the installation. I was rather nervous, but she talked me through resizing Windows and letting Crunchbang decide how to use the new free space, so now I have both.

Thank you also for the wine information!! Googling heavily at this point wink Also didn't realize there was a search button for the forum - I am very glad you pointed that out before I spammed everywhere lol!

And thank you for the welcome. This is really nice so far - very slick and futuristic yet minimalist at the same time, and noticeably faster than Windows on my i5 laptop!

#4 2013-05-09 06:35:14

DapperMe17
#! CrunchBanger

Welcome thezenofjosh.

It sounds as if you are relatively new to the "'puting power" of Linux, and specifically, CrunchBang. There is a bit of a learning curve, especially if your past is with MS.

Stick with it,  we're sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Enjoy your time with #!.

#5 2013-05-09 08:57:02

fatmac
#! Die Hard

@thezenofjosh

Everyone was a beginner at some time, see my 'sig' for learning Linux & Debian/Crunchbang.

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

Board footer