SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-31 13:25:56

Brad

Broadcom Wireless help

I hope this is the right place to ask for ChrunchBang 11. But when I start it up from the live USB it doesn't detect my wifi card. Ubuntu did this without any problems.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-03-31 13:52:22

dura
Bloated Gimp

Re: Broadcom Wireless help

lspci

Shows what stuff you're running. Post the output here.

#3 2013-04-01 01:29:43

ew
#! Die Hard

Brad wrote:

I hope this is the right place to ask for ChrunchBang 11. But when I start it up from the live USB it doesn't detect my wifi card. Ubuntu did this without any problems.

I`m having Broadcom myself, and it`s a bit tricky. Ubuntu is the only one that delivers me wifi out of the box, but even with Ubuntu I loose it after the first dist-upgrade, it`s easy to fix though. I`m sorry that I can`t help you with the live-enviroment. I just install the distros permanently and worry about the wifi later. I`m always able to get it working though, even thoug I have to redo the fix after most kernel-upgrades.

If you install CB 11 permanently then scroll down to the wheezy section on the page in the link below, and follow the instructions.... Add "sudo" in front of each command....
http://wiki.debian.org/wl

If you loose you connection after a dist-upgrade, then just redo this recipy, but add "--reinstall" to this line:
"sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-headers-$(uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,') broadcom-sta-dkms"

- apt-mark hold account

#4 2013-04-03 20:09:20

Brad

ew wrote:
Brad wrote:

I`m having Broadcom myself, and it`s a bit tricky. Ubuntu is the only one that delivers me wifi out of the box, but even with Ubuntu I loose it after the first dist-upgrade, it`s easy to fix though. I`m sorry that I can`t help you with the live-enviroment. I just install the distros permanently and worry about the wifi later. I`m always able to get it working though, even thoug I have to redo the fix after most kernel-upgrades.

If you install CB 11 permanently then scroll down to the wheezy section on the page in the link below, and follow the instructions.... Add "sudo" in front of each command....

If you loose you connection after a dist-upgrade, then just redo this recipy, but add "--reinstall" to this line:
"sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-headers-$(uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,') broadcom-sta-dkms"

Hello,

I am currently using Linux Mint 14 with Cinnamon right now. I love it. I would switch to ChrunchBang but the only thing holding me back is this horrible issue. What is even worse is my Ethernet and wireless are both broadcoms and not even my Ethernet works. It works fine in all Ubuntu based distros I've used. I just installed my broadcom driver in Mint and it's amazing how much it speeds it up. Before I installed it, my signal to my router would bounce around from 60%-90%. Now after installing the driver it's flat out 100% and my speed is even faster! I thought it was fast enough without it lol, now the internet flies haha.

But yeah fiddling around trying to get this to work is frustrating.

Oh and Linux Mint reports that the driver I'm using is the BCM413. Are you using one close to this by any chance? This was a Windows 8 machine, so I'm guessing this chipset is pretty new.

Last edited by Brad (2013-04-03 20:11:28)

#5 2013-04-03 20:24:46

ew
#! Die Hard

Brad wrote:
ew wrote:
Brad wrote:

Hello,

I am currently using Linux Mint 14 with Cinnamon right now. I love it. I would switch to ChrunchBang but the only thing holding me back is this horrible issue. What is even worse is my Ethernet and wireless are both broadcoms and not even my Ethernet works. It works fine in all Ubuntu based distros I've used. I just installed my broadcom driver in Mint and it's amazing how much it speeds it up. Before I installed it, my signal to my router would bounce around from 60%-90%. Now after installing the driver it's flat out 100% and my speed is even faster! I thought it was fast enough without it lol, now the internet flies haha.

Oh and Linux Mint reports that the driver I'm using is the BCM413. Are you using one close to this by any chance? This was a Windows 8 machine, so I'm guessing this chipset is pretty new.

I`m using  "Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)", and I use the wl driver. Signal from my router is just fine..., as long as it never go below 60% then I`m happy. Her is my details for the wifi-card:

ew@cb11amd64:~$ sudo lspci -vv -s 02:00.0
[sudo] password for ew: 
02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)
	Subsystem: Broadcom Corporation Device 0587
	Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
	Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
	Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 17
	Region 0: Memory at e0400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
		Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0+,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)
	Capabilities: [58] Vendor Specific Information: Len=78 <?>
	Capabilities: [48] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
		Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
	Capabilities: [d0] Express (v1) Endpoint, MSI 00
		DevCap:	MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <4us, L1 unlimited
			ExtTag+ AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset-
		DevCtl:	Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
			RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
			MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
		DevSta:	CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq- AuxPwr+ TransPend-
		LnkCap:	Port #0, Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L1, Latency L0 <4us, L1 <64us
			ClockPM+ Surprise- LLActRep+ BwNot-
		LnkCtl:	ASPM L1 Enabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- Retrain- CommClk+
			ExtSynch- ClockPM+ AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
		LnkSta:	Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive+ BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
	Capabilities: [100 v1] Advanced Error Reporting
		UESta:	DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
		UEMsk:	DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
		UESvrt:	DLP+ SDES- TLP- FCP+ CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF+ MalfTLP+ ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
		CESta:	RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- NonFatalErr-
		CEMsk:	RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- NonFatalErr+
		AERCap:	First Error Pointer: 00, GenCap+ CGenEn- ChkCap+ ChkEn-
	Capabilities: [13c v1] Virtual Channel
		Caps:	LPEVC=0 RefClk=100ns PATEntryBits=1
		Arb:	Fixed- WRR32- WRR64- WRR128-
		Ctrl:	ArbSelect=Fixed
		VC0:	Caps:	PATOffset=00 MaxTimeSlots=1 RejSnoopTrans-
			Arb:	Fixed- WRR32- WRR64- WRR128- TWRR128- WRR256-
			Ctrl:	Enable+ ID=0 ArbSelect=Fixed TC/VC=ff
	Capabilities: [160 v1] Device Serial Number 00-00-3d-ff-ff-d6-c0-14
	Capabilities: [16c v1] Power Budgeting <?>
	Kernel driver in use: wl

Last edited by ew (2013-04-03 20:32:26)

- apt-mark hold account

#6 2013-04-04 01:42:13

Brad

ew wrote:
Brad wrote:
ew wrote:

Hello,

I`m using  "Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)", and I use the wl driver. Signal from my router is just fine..., as long as it never go below 60% then I`m happy. Her is my details for the wifi-card:

[sudo] password for ew: 
02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)
	Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
	Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
		LnkSta:	Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive+ BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
		UESta:	DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
		UEMsk:	DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
		UESvrt:	DLP+ SDES- TLP- FCP+ CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF+ MalfTLP+ ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-

I'm not sure how to get the details of mine! But I am using the exact same driver you are. Scratch that driver. It's a bunch of BS. I moved all around my house just to see if it changed and no matter where I was it stayed at 100% and I noticed my connection was going like dial up. I am now back on the open source driver which is so much better! It's actually as fast as it was on Windows. The driver Broadcom makes is a piece of junk.

Even worse on Ubuntu. When I had the driver installed the internet would stutter so bad and just cut in and out and while my laptop was connected, no one else could use the internet they were cut off. I found it quite odd. So I shut off my laptop and sure enough other devices could use it without a hitch. Turns on laptop and bam the network is slowed to a crawl. Uninstalled the driver and bam everyone could use the internet while my laptop was connected. I do not have this problem with Mint however. But the driver sucks on Mint as well.

Basically my luck is so bad with that driver supplied by Broadcom. I cannot believe the open source ones work so much better. You'd figure Broadcom would be able to make a better driver since it's there own product.

I don't know if I'm the only one with these slow downs. But I'm never using that driver again. I thought it was actually good. But today I just found out it's all a bunch of lies. Least this one changes it's signal strength unlike being locked onto 100% no matter what.

Mine bounces up and down. I always have 4 or full bars. So it actually gives me proper readings lol. My phone always bounces up and down with signal strength to with the router so I know it has got to be that awful driver.

Excuse my rant but I'm not really liking Broadcom. Especially since it controls both my Ethernet & wireless!

My old laptop had a Atheros card and it I never had a hitch with it in Windows. I think Broadcom is known to be bad in Linux just like ATI cards are, haha.

Rant is over! big_smile

Btw let me know if you get your card working on ChrunchBang, I really want to use it.

#7 2013-04-04 23:05:46

ew
#! Die Hard

Brad wrote:
ew wrote:
Brad wrote:

Hello,

[sudo] password for ew: 

I'm not sure how to get the details of mine! But I am using the exact same driver you are. Scratch that driver. It's a bunch of BS. I moved all around my house just to see if it changed and no matter where I was it stayed at 100% and I noticed my connection was going like dial up. I am now back on the open source driver which is so much better! It's actually as fast as it was on Windows. The driver Broadcom makes is a piece of junk.

Even worse on Ubuntu. When I had the driver installed the internet would stutter so bad and just cut in and out and while my laptop was connected, no one else could use the internet they were cut off. I found it quite odd. So I shut off my laptop and sure enough other devices could use it without a hitch. Turns on laptop and bam the network is slowed to a crawl. Uninstalled the driver and bam everyone could use the internet while my laptop was connected. I do not have this problem with Mint however. But the driver sucks on Mint as well.

Basically my luck is so bad with that driver supplied by Broadcom. I cannot believe the open source ones work so much better. You'd figure Broadcom would be able to make a better driver since it's there own product.

I don't know if I'm the only one with these slow downs. But I'm never using that driver again. I thought it was actually good. But today I just found out it's all a bunch of lies. Least this one changes it's signal strength unlike being locked onto 100% no matter what.

Mine bounces up and down. I always have 4 or full bars. So it actually gives me proper readings lol. My phone always bounces up and down with signal strength to with the router so I know it has got to be that awful driver.

Excuse my rant but I'm not really liking Broadcom. Especially since it controls both my Ethernet & wireless!

My old laptop had a Atheros card and it I never had a hitch with it in Windows. I think Broadcom is known to be bad in Linux just like ATI cards are, haha.

Rant is over! big_smile

Btw let me know if you get your card working on ChrunchBang, I really want to use it.

??? My card is working with all distros, and I use the WL-driver, which works very well for me. Connection is 100% stable, signal is good, and the speed is impeccable. No issues at all. But I`ve never been able to use another driver than WL. My Broadcom card can not use the open-source drivers. There is a wide array of these cards, and they all are diffent. Some has open-source support, some not. But all of them can use WL. Also yours, and it will work on Crunchbang. If you try to install Ubuntu, you will find that Ubuntu also uses WL for your card....

When I complaint about my wifi, it`s just a because I`m annoyed that I have to write a couple of lines in terminal to get it to work. I have absolutely no problem getting it to work, and it`s working perfectly as soon as I have set it up. Actually my wifi-connection has never been more stable, it`s even better than in Windows. There I may loose it periodically now and then, but I`ve never lost in Crunchbang yet. Not once.

You find your details by:

###From terminal:

lspci | grep -i wireless

#####That will provide a output like this:

#### 02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)"

### Then take the numbers before Network controller and replace my numbers in this example:

sudo lspci -vv -s 02:00.0

### From the long list you get up, look for this line:

###Subsystem: Broadcom Corporation Device 0587 ###

###If your number is 0587 like mine, then you should be able to use the same drivers as me, and it should work just as well for you in CruncBang, as it does for me...

Last edited by ew (2013-04-04 23:20:55)

- apt-mark hold account

#8 2013-05-05 01:47:10

Brad

ew wrote:
Brad wrote:
ew wrote:

[sudo] password for ew: 

Rant is over! big_smile

??? My card is working with all distros, and I use the WL-driver, which works very well for me. Connection is 100% stable, signal is good, and the speed is impeccable. No issues at all. But I`ve never been able to use another driver than WL. My Broadcom card can not use the open-source drivers. There is a wide array of these cards, and they all are diffent. Some has open-source support, some not. But all of them can use WL. Also yours, and it will work on Crunchbang. If you try to install Ubuntu, you will find that Ubuntu also uses WL for your card....

When I complaint about my wifi, it`s just a because I`m annoyed that I have to write a couple of lines in terminal to get it to work. I have absolutely no problem getting it to work, and it`s working perfectly as soon as I have set it up. Actually my wifi-connection has never been more stable, it`s even better than in Windows. There I may loose it periodically now and then, but I`ve never lost in Crunchbang yet. Not once.

You find your details by:

###From terminal:

lspci | grep -i wireless

#####That will provide a output like this:

#### 02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)"

### Then take the numbers before Network controller and replace my numbers in this example:

sudo lspci -vv -s 02:00.0

### From the long list you get up, look for this line:

###Subsystem: Broadcom Corporation Device 0587 ###

###If your number is 0587 like mine, then you should be able to use the same drivers as me, and it should work just as well for you in CruncBang, as it does for me...

We are using the same cards but seems it works differently for both of us. Mind you now I haven't fired up chrunchabang and tried using those terminal commands to get it up and running. I am currently back on Windows 8. Before I hated it, Now it's fine. Boots faster than any Linux distro I've tried. I would really love to use Linux as well. I'm not bashing it. I love Windows and Linux. I really wanted to use ChrunchBang on a recommendation. But my card wasn't working right. The driver that Ubuntu uses by default is the one that causes the install to take 3 hours or more. After I wait for the installer to complete I then disable that driver and problem is solved with internet. All the buntu's take hours and hours to install. Mint however takes only 10 minutes.

#9 2013-05-05 04:07:16

sqlpython
#! Die Hard

I am currently back on Windows 8. Before I hated it, Now it's fine. Boots faster than any Linux distro I've tried. I would really love to use Linux as well. I'm not bashing it. I love Windows and Linux.

Sorry you are having problems getting going..
I gotta tell you though. I have been using and Or testing MicroSoft Products since Dos 1.1 (1980) and Windows 8 stands together with Windows Millennium as the Worst of the Microsoft OSes.. I won't go into all the details as I have posted a little about it only this week. I don't have the time and the will to type that much this month. Better to let it unfold to You as you already believe you like it. Only  some negative experiences will turn on a light when you start out liking it. Basically, it is a Giant Smart Phone App.. Examine it and see it that doesn't strike a chord.
Meanwhile regarding the fast Boot. Linux is now implementing Systemd and it's Boot times and Shutdowns absolutely Smokes Win 8 times.. As  I have had an Arch running with it. Once it is the Standard and it will be, give it a try and you will Amazed and Gratified. To paraphrase Samuel Clemens.

Anyway that wasn't a rant just a friendly, "Watch Out, Duck!"

Oh and Linux Mint reports that the driver I'm using is the BCM413.

I think that is a typo as Broadcom uses the 43xx as a series. I can't Google up a BCM413.
Take a look http://www.broadcom.com/products/Wirele … -Solutions
As to your BCM431x I received 3 laptops to config last month and 2 had the BCM4313. These all came with Win 8 and One became a Dual boot and the other two entirely Linux. ( that gave me the chance to compare systemd to Win 8 boots and shutdowns).
I didn't have any trouble implementing the BCM4313 and it ran very stable.  My memory says that the BCM4313 was supported out of the box by Ubuntu, Fedora, Salix and Porteus and I believe Bridge, Calculate and Sabayon. Try the LiveCDs. Bridge (Arch) and Both Sabayon & Calculate which are Gentoos. All three are rolling releases which are going to Systemd Soon..( matter of fact Calculate 13.4 is there) and I implemented on systemd Bridge already..... Sabayon to follow Next month.

Other then that you can easily add it via  the Debian Wifi Wiki.
http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi

Good luck! Post Back

OHCG #!, Jessie,, Siduction-13.1,  Slackware 14,  Bridge,, Sabayon 13.4,

#10 2013-05-05 10:21:36

km00
#! CrunchBanger

I know it's not exactly the same card - but it's very similar and from the same manufacture.
This is how I make my wireless work.

sudo -i
aptitude install firmware-brcm80211 wireless-tools
modprobe -r brcmsmac ; modprobe brcmsmac

I'm assuming for different variants it would just be a thing of changing version - correct me if I'm wrong though.

In the Service of General Cuckoo

#11 2013-05-05 21:23:56

ew
#! Die Hard

Yes, but there are some users that like a OS with a desktop that looks like a giant smartphone. I`ve discussed it so often on our national computerforums, and belive it or not, W8 has a fanbase, and they actually seem to love everything that I hate about it:)

- apt-mark hold account

#12 2013-05-05 21:26:41

ew
#! Die Hard

ew wrote:

Yes, but there are some users that like a OS with a desktop that looks like a giant smartphone. I`ve discussed it so often on our national computerforums, and belive it or not, W8 has a fanbase, and they actually seem to love everything that I hate about it:)

And when he talks about W8 booting faster than any linux-distro then it`s not true at all. W8 boots fast to be a MS-OS, but it doesn`t boot in 4-5 seconds like #! does on systemd and ssd.

Ooops, I replied to myself instead of editing it to add something. Well, well..

Last edited by ew (2013-05-05 21:27:58)

- apt-mark hold account

#13 2013-05-06 02:13:01

sqlpython
#! Die Hard

ew wrote:

Yes, but there are some users that like a OS with a desktop that looks like a giant smartphone.

So True... Sooo True.  tongue

OHCG #!, Jessie,, Siduction-13.1,  Slackware 14,  Bridge,, Sabayon 13.4,

#14 2013-05-06 18:17:27

Videodrome

Interesting. I came this way because of a minor Wifi issue and I'm still trying to figure out what is going on.

I had tried Ubuntu and Xubuntu before and now I'm fairly new to CrunchBang. I decided to take a chance on Waldorf instead of (Stable) Statler. 

My Broadcom Wifi worked out of the box on my HP-Mini which surprised me. However, it seems to occasionally lose the Wifi even though it still says I have 4 bars. It seems I can fix this by turning off my Wifi by just pushing the Wireless Signal button. So, I'm wondering if I need a different driver. I'll browse through some suggestions in here, but I wanted to share what my experience has been.

#15 2013-05-06 19:41:15

Videodrome

Looking into the suggestions here:  http://wiki.debian.org/wl#Known_Issues

I installed laptop-mode-tools and followed the suggestion to set WIRELESS_BATT_POWER_SAVING=0

Maybe a shot in the dark thinking power management affects steady Wifi? I'll report if I still get random signal loss.

NOTE: installing laptop-mode-tools had the inconvenience of disabling my wireless mouse. 

This can be fixed easily here /etc/laptop-mode//conf.d/usb-autosuspend.conf by just disabling AutoSuspend.

Last edited by Videodrome (2013-05-06 19:44:33)

Board footer