SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-05 02:56:15

ndegruchy
Website

Update removed Crunchbang icons

Kind of an odd question, but I just ran an update tonight and there were a number of updates to some of the CB specific stuff, including the removal of an icon pack, apparently. I installed the newly discovered

crunchbang-icon-theme

, but my icons are still the default Gnome ones, which look out of place.

lxappearance shows that I have the Crunchbang default icon set chosen, but it doesn't look any different than the Gnome and elementary icon sets...

Any ideas?

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-05-05 03:04:06

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

Re: Update removed Crunchbang icons

ndegruchy thanks for the heads up.  I can only assume its been upgraded because debian wheezy has just been released as the new debian stable?

#3 2013-05-05 03:10:58

ndegruchy
Website

th3pun15h3r wrote:

ndegruchy thanks for the heads up.  I can only assume its been upgraded because debian wheezy has just been released as the new debian stable?

Possibly, but I seem to have resolved it by installing 'faenza-crunchbang-icon-theme'. I don't know if I had it installed beforehand and it got removed or if it's something new... but once I did that I was able to choose the icon set that matched my old one.

*shrug*

#4 2013-05-05 03:12:58

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@th3pun15h3r:  No, since CrunchBang is in the package name, it has to be corenominal's doing...it's not like APT is going to switch to the Statler repo all of a sudden, especially since our sources.list points to the repo name, not stable or unstable...

@ndegruchy:  I noticed the CrunchBang Faenza set was auto-removed on my system as well...

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#5 2013-05-05 03:23:01

ndegruchy
Website

pvsage wrote:

@th3pun15h3r:  No, since CrunchBang is in the package name, it has to be corenominal's doing...it's not like APT is going to switch to the Statler repo all of a sudden, especially since our sources.list points to the repo name, not stable or unstable...

@ndegruchy:  I noticed the CrunchBang Faenza set was auto-removed on my system as well...

Yeah, I ended up just bringing the repo up in Iceweasel and browsing. The packages are signed by corenominal. The changes file says that it's an initial release. So, perhaps he's moving art assets into an easier to manipulate configuration?

#6 2013-05-05 05:18:40

DapperMe17
#! CrunchBanger

Would assume it's just some pre-maintenance, relative to positioning for a "Janice" theme/icon package at some point in the near future.

The Crunchbang-Faenza icon theme description references "Waldorf", which is why it was likely not included in the most recent CB update.

wink

Edit:

What was I thinking...

Anyway, I'm fairly sure that the Gnome icons were the default in Waldorf, so that's obviously what the recent CB updates simply reverted back to.

As far as Janice, what I "meant" to say...is that she should come packaged with her own theme/icons, in the tradition of #!.

tongue

Last edited by DapperMe17 (2013-05-05 06:49:03)

#7 2013-05-06 03:16:19

Super-Nathan
#! CrunchBanger
Website

I havn't Talked to Phillip about it, so I do not know what happened.

What I do know is that PiBang linux will continue until told not to use the old Icons that where removed.

You can get them from our github: https://github.com/super-nathan/borrowe … ang-themes

Just copy the two faenza folders into /usr/share/icons

#echo "Something useful" > /dev/null

PiBang Linux

#8 2013-05-06 14:34:20

corenominal
WRONG
Website

To clarify, the final icon set for Waldorf is named 'CrunchBang-Dark'. It is a combination of the Faenza and GNOME icon sets. The package is named 'crunchbang-icon-theme'. Status icons (such as the system tray) and action icons (browser back and forward etc.) are from the Faenza icon set, everything else is inherited from the GNOME icon theme.

For anyone who prefers the previous icon theme, it is still available from the repositories:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install faenza-crunchbang-icon-theme

The reasons for the change:

• Personal preference

• Size, the new icon package is ~75% smaller

Hope this helps.

#9 2013-05-06 14:41:47

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ Thanks for the clarity and the options corenominal!   wink

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

#10 2013-05-07 02:16:35

brig

Reading this thread reminded me of those bright shiny spinning icons  with streams of other bright shiny spinning icons streaming off into the space background that gOS had...........fun spinning stars, smiley faces, and music notes etc.  Even tho I am a grandma,  I really enjoyed those....but yeah............oh the wasted resources  no doubt.    But, none the less,  I miss them.  hmm  roll  ops

Last edited by brig (2013-05-07 02:17:11)

eternal noob ops

#11 2013-06-19 07:13:53

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

pvsage wrote:

Yeah, same happened with mine. Had to install it manually, but everything's fine now. It's like a weird bug after installation's done or something...Pretty weird!

Here's how they looked:

xbA1hiX.png

DBMQD3z.png

Last edited by nebulaehair (2013-06-19 07:33:09)

"The time we wish we spent but lost it all."
- Coheed and Cambria.

my favorite distros: solyd xk | kwheezy

#12 2013-08-18 09:18:16

dbr
Website

First posting, so please be gentle.

I performed an apt-get autoremove and ran into the above problem of icons that don't fit the (IMO) very aesthetic design any more. Like nebulaehair, whatever I select in lxappearance looks the same.

So now my question is - how do I 'install manually' ? Where do I find crunchbang-icon-theme to download as a .tar.gz that lxappearance seems to require?

Thanks for your help

#13 2013-08-18 11:45:03

pvsage
Internal Affairs

In a terminal, enter

sudo apt-get install faenza-crunchbang-icon-theme

If I recall correctly, you may need to restart for the reinstalled icons to display.

#14 2013-08-20 08:05:24

dbr
Website

Thanks, pvsage, was rather hoping for the restauration of corenominal's '~75% smaller' crunchbang-icon-theme.

It seems whatever way I get it, terminal or synaptic or .deb package, it doesn't show up properly in lxappearance and nothing changes. Will try the old faenza-crunchbang-icon-theme though in the interim, thanks for the tip.

#15 2013-08-20 08:32:55

pvsage
Internal Affairs

If I'm not mistaken, the icons in your screenshots posted above are Philip's "75% smaller" theme.  (Smaller in terms of bytes, not icon size on screen.)

#16 2014-06-04 01:35:10

darkday159

I know this thread is old, but I have the same issue on #! 64bit updating from stable to unstable. All the folder icons have turned from the grayish color to the ugly brown color. Can anyone help me out?

#17 2014-06-04 12:05:26

damo
#! gimpbanger

darkday159 wrote:

I know this thread is old, but I have the same issue on #! 64bit updating from stable to unstable. All the folder icons have turned from the grayish color to the ugly brown color. Can anyone help me out?

You can choose an icon theme with lxappearance ( Settings -> User Interface Settings).

Artwork at deviantArt;  Iceweasel Personas;  SLiM #! Themes;  Openbox themes

#18 2014-06-05 06:13:39

darkday159

I've tried that. The crunchbang and crunchbang-dark icon sets still have the brown folders.

Last edited by darkday159 (2014-06-05 06:13:59)

#19 2014-06-05 07:21:28

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Have you reinstalled the CrunchBang Faenza icon set?  Do this and restart; they should show up in lxappearance then.  The old default icon set is Faenza-Dark-CrunchBang.

#20 2014-06-06 02:57:56

darkday159

Thanks for the suggestion, but no luck!

I get the following message in terminal:

Package faenza-crunchbang-icon-theme is not available, but is referred to by another package.

I'm on unstable/sid, but I still have the crunchbang waldorf repo in my sources, albeit pinned at a low priority.

Searching through "apt-cache search" and Synaptic reveal nothing.

Last edited by darkday159 (2014-06-06 02:58:47)

#21 2014-06-06 06:37:58

Head_on_a_Stick
#! Cat

darkday159 wrote:

...I still have the crunchbang waldorf repo in my sources, albeit pinned at a low priority.

I'm not an apt-pinning expert (I don't even use it), but pinning it to a low priority means the testing/unstable packages take priority & will replace the waldorf packages if an "aptitude full-upgrade" or "apt-get dist-upgrade" is performed...
Change the waldorf pinning to "990" (as suggested by @Alad at the end of this thread --- maybe use all the other settings he recommends here as well...), then run:

sudo aptitude update;apt-cache search crunchbang

& see if it shows the faenza-crunchbang-icon-theme smile

If you want a good answer ask a good question
Do you have an XY Problem
The Help Vampire
Ubuntu PPA's & Debian Testing/Unstable sources break CrunchBang

#22 2014-06-06 07:28:03

pvsage
Internal Affairs

If all else fails, you could always download the .deb directly from the Waldorf repo and install it manually with gdebi.

#23 2014-06-06 14:20:06

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

^True that, and often forgotten. Btw, do log out after applying the new choice of icons and log back in again, they don't change on the spot for me either.

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

#24 2014-06-07 17:05:14

darkday159

Thanks for the help everyone! I installed manually through gdebi, and now I have the faenza-crunchbang themes. I also reinstalled the "crunchbang-icon-theme" through gdebi but the icons are still brown, even after a restart!

I guess the faenza theme will have to hold me over. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2014-06-08 22:38:06

hubbabubba

darkday159 wrote:

Thanks for the help everyone! I installed manually through gdebi, and now I have the faenza-crunchbang themes. I also reinstalled the "crunchbang-icon-theme" through gdebi but the icons are still brown, even after a restart!

I guess the faenza theme will have to hold me over. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

That's because it inherits the gnome icon theme, and the new version gives brown icons instead of grey. If you replace the current gnome icon theme with this one from wheezy, it should solve it for you. https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/gnome-icon-theme

But any new upgrade of the gnome-icon-theme will give you the brown icons again, so backup the wheezy version, so you can reuse it every times this happens.

Another alternative is to use a waldorf theme suite that I have created for use in other distros, which is edited so that it inherits  a separate crunchbang gnome version, without interfearing with the latest gnome icon theme, and therefore should be able to stick trough upgrades. That way you still have the latest gnome icon theme which may be needed for other themes.

There is a read me in the folder. Follow the instructions in the read me file, and you should be fine. The only exception is that the Crunchbang menu has no entry for "ROOT interface", which means that you have to "sudo lxappearance" in order to edit the theme settings for root.... Link to my version of the waldorf themes here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rqyvpzir8xs5 … FoNYNk6Uda

Board footer