SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#2326 2013-04-28 20:45:20

codingman
#! Junkie

Re: Distro-hoppers Anonymous

^ And resource-hungry.

U iz not goin to getz an anzer frm me if u tip lik dis  mad

Be excellent to each other!

#2327 2013-04-29 17:29:56

JWJones
#! Member

I've since moved to Slackware, and find it very much to my liking. A very different world than the Debian-based distros that I am used to, but I certainly am learning a lot! I do love the #! forums, though. A great place to hang out, as always.

LinuxBBQ • Slackware • antiX
Thinkpad T61 – Intel Core2 Duo T7300 @ 2.00 GHz

#2328 2013-04-29 18:32:52

lowrider
#! Die Hard

Just installed the latest Semplice ISO. In case you didn't know Semplice is a very lightweight distro with openbox and tint2 just like #! but based on Debian Sid. After dd' ing the iso to a usb-stick booting and installing it went a charm (timezone, localization, network...) and in a no time i am done. Plain simple and straight forward, well done.
And oh, Semplice has a auto-update openboxmenu tongue
Scrot for ya (tweaking needed of course, this colors are just to...) :
2013_04_29_194426_1920x1080_scrot.jpg

came for the distro, stayed for the community
streamripper :: smxi

#2329 2013-04-29 18:34:25

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ Semplice is a solid distro that I have enjoyed seeing develop for quite some time

VSIDO | SolusOS

Words That Build Or Destroy

#2330 2013-04-29 19:00:48

lowrider
#! Die Hard

^ That is right for sure V1. The last time i take a look on Semplice was Version 2 which was nice but buggy for me, but the point release (Version 4 so far) looks very promising. Play Time  big_smile

came for the distro, stayed for the community
streamripper :: smxi

#2331 2013-04-29 19:10:10

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ I am looking at using the Semplice build process and the (l)installer for VSIDO...

I will keep you posted on how that goes

VSIDO | SolusOS

#2332 2013-04-29 22:31:02

ew
#! Die Hard

lowrider wrote:

Just installed the latest Semplice ISO. In case you didn't know Semplice is a very lightweight distro with openbox and tint2 just like #! but based on Debian Sid. After dd' ing the iso to a usb-stick booting and installing it went a charm (timezone, localization, network...) and in a no time i am done. Plain simple and straight forward, well done.
http://s1.postimg.org/owmufuuej/2013_04_29_194426_1920x1080_scrot.jpg

I tried it at one time, and liked it a lot. But it felt like a Crunchbang clone with Sid, and I wasn`t comfortable using it for that reason. Then you might just as well sidify Crunchbang and stay loyal to #!. Why go elsewhere when you can get it at home:)

- apt-mark hold account

#2333 2013-04-30 01:52:50

PackRat
#! Die Hard

@lowrider - nice, thanks for the overview; I've been debating checking that one out.

"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce tribe

#2334 2013-04-30 02:13:51

DapperMe17
#! CrunchBanger

Remastersys has been revived by the good folks at OS4.

Development will appear to pick up soon under it's new alias, System Imager.

They are looking for developers, as well as small donations.

The link is here...http://www.os4online.com/2013/04/forkin … f-os4.html

smile

#2335 2013-04-30 02:24:02

DapperMe17
#! CrunchBanger

lowrider wrote:

You're right lowrider, V4 is a very nice release.

Also, don't forget that LinuxBBQ Escargot is still available as an alternative. Nicely done by MachineBacon, who is also very helpful in the #! forums.

See it here...http://linuxbbq.org/wordpress/?p=81

wink

#2336 2013-04-30 15:58:07

PackRat
#! Die Hard

VastOne wrote:

^ Semplice is a solid distro that I have enjoyed seeing develop for quite some time

definitely; checking out the live usb today -

Screenshot_04302013_03_53_00_PM.jpg

"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce tribe

#2337 2013-04-30 19:28:58

sqlpython
#! Die Hard

As @dapperme17 has pointed out OS4 will be one place that will continue with RemasterSYS.
There will also be repository for download with Debian and Ubuntu..
Tony has decided to point his free time in more valuable directions.. Thank You for the Contributions Tony.

OHCG #!, Jessie,, Siduction-13.1,  Slackware 14,  Bridge,, Sabayon 13.4,

#2338 2013-04-30 19:49:00

sqlpython
#! Die Hard

@LowRider
Yes as mentioned above Semplice 3.0 is a nice distro..
I had a difficult time not installing from the Live CD heh heh
I tend to Distrohop a lot... A Lot..
But Now I have a method based on The Big 5 Independents Debian, Slackware, Gentoo, Arch and Buntu.
I favor the aforementioned independents and their SpinOffs. Keeps an Order for me. 
Lastly due to 10 partitions held aside on 2 machines I further limit Spinoffs to One per Country of Origin.
So, Only one Italy at a time...
  Ok, Stupid rule but there has to be a some way to limit this sickness.. tongue
Right now..
Debian .. Global  (whatever) (1)
#!CrunchBang .. Britain  (1)
Siduction .. Germany    (2)
Bridge .. USA                (1)
Sabayon .. Italy            (1)
Calculate .. Russia        (1)
Kubuntu .. Isle of Man  (1)
Salix .. France (lately Labeled as Europe) (2)

Ahh To sleep and per chance Dream of more HD space.   smile

Last edited by sqlpython (2013-04-30 20:36:57)

#2339 2013-04-30 21:47:01

ew
#! Die Hard

DapperMe17 wrote:

Remastersys has been revived by the good folks at OS4.

Development will appear to pick up soon under it's new alias, System Imager.

They are looking for developers, as well as small donations.

The link is here...http://www.os4online.com/2013/04/forkin … f-os4.html

smile

Well, it was no surprise that he left Remastersys. He waited to see if EFI and GPT was something that would be shortlived, and when  it wasn`t, he had no other choice. Because earlier on he informed that he wouldn`t use his time and resources to make it compatible with efi and gpt, as he saw no need for it himself. That`s fair enough, we can not expect that he would use his own time and resources on something that doesn`t interest him.

Well, but soon everybody else will be using it, and Remastersys is completely useless in 2013 without efi and gpt support. Hopefully the OS4 guys will fix that issue, otherwise they are just wasting their time.

I`m quite excited to see if Debian has done their homework with Wheezy, because if it doesn`t do a pure EFI-install out of the box, in all install options(single/alongside/something else), then it`s not good enough. Even when people choose "Something Else", Debian has to detect that it is a EFI-system, and "guide" people to the right choices. But it still has to be possible to just write grub to partition in a multiboot-scenario where someone could use another distro as bootloader in EFI, and as a mastergrub for all the other distros. I would be surprised if Debian gets this 100% right, because the only one that has done this perfectly for me, is Ubuntu. But it`s a shame to waste ssd-space on Ubuntu, when I only use it as a EFI boot-loader...

Anyway, I`m not waiting for Debian Wheezy to restructure my SSD. I`m going to put Crunchbang in Ubuntu`s role as EFI-bootloader, because I`m almost certain that I now have the skill to do it manually after a regular install. But I wasn`t ready for that a few months ago. Debian can not expect that most users will hazzle with this themselves. It has to be easy, otherwise the forums will drown in support-issues concerning uefi, as it`s the default in every computer that has been sold the last years. In 2-3 years almost everyone will use it, and Debian has to acknowledge this themselves, and make uefi the default install (if not chosen otherwise), so that it requires higher skill-level to avoid GPT and EFI, than it does to use it. But of course, both could be equally easy. What about a simple choice. EFI-install, yes or now. It should really be that easy. GPT should be mandatory, because that works fine with bios-boot also. Only thing needed is a bios-boot partition.

Hopefully the Debian Installer will guide people safely trough this, but I`m a bit doubtful.... I have to see it to belive it...

Last edited by ew (2013-04-30 22:15:37)

- apt-mark hold account

#2340 2013-05-01 13:55:57

sqlpython
#! Die Hard

Hmmm.. I didn't realize that was an issue for Tony.. ah well.
Anyway, Calculate Linux 13.4 the latest has announced UEFI boot compatibility on Install.
http://www.calculate-linux.org/blogs/en/439/show
And Sabayon has claimed that UEFI will be available by June.
So, seems that the Gentoos are there.

For myself... I have purchased 3 additional machines in the past 60 days. At first I thought I would find it interesting to have Win 8 available on a partition to learn of it's nuances..
It has no nuances. It is a User interface disaster. Unattractive, Screen Hog, Clumsy, non intuitive, Unfriendly. In short I have used MSoft products since 1980 (DOS 1.1) and this may be their worst yet, Topping Millennium as a failure. As MSoft is always attached to New hardware they will get their sales numbers BUT will absolutely lose Desktop Users at a measurable %.

My solution was to Strip the Win 8 from each machine. It is counter productive anyway and set the BIOS Boot to LEGACY.
Lastly, Simply installed some Linuxes. With Win 8 on machines there is really no rush to solve UEFI. As all machines have the alternative LEGACY BOOT settings.

Last edited by sqlpython (2013-05-01 13:58:11)

#2341 2013-05-01 13:59:41

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

sqlpython wrote:

Simply installed some Linuxes. With Win 8 on machines there is really no rush to solve UEFI. As all machines have the alternative LEGACY BOOT settings.

Aye, and anyone with the gumption to beat the UEFI BS and install Linux knows this or soon finds the solution

wink

VSIDO | SolusOS

#2342 2013-05-01 23:40:11

ew
#! Die Hard

sqlpython wrote:

My solution was to Strip the Win 8 from each machine. It is counter productive anyway and set the BIOS Boot to LEGACY.
Lastly, Simply installed some Linuxes. With Win 8 on machines there is really no rush to solve UEFI. As all machines have the alternative LEGACY BOOT settings.

Yes, I did that too, at first. But then after a while I felt like I was cheating. GPT and UEFI is here to stay, and it`s much better. I want to take part in the new technology instead of avoiding it. Conservative old-school users may wish themselves back to older days, but it will not be to many years until there is no such thing as legacy boot. Simply because they will not make pc`s that support it. Game over...

So I`ve also stripped W8 from the pc, but still are UEFI-booting Ubuntu, Crunchbang and BBQ, as this is the way to go. Especially GPT has so many advantages over MBR that it would be stupid not to embrace it.

Anyway, most linux-users are dualbooting with Windows, and we will have to go hand in hand with W8 and all coming MS-OS on the same computers, or loose most of the linux-users. The BIOS and MBR is so old that it`s about time that they do something to improve this part to. UEFI and GPT is a improvement, also for linux, and is wanted even without W8.

I myself have used UEFI and GPT for a long time with W7, so it`s not at all new to me, and shouldn`t  be to Debian either. It wasn`t difficult to predict that EFI and GPT would take over, that has been crystal clear for many years...

- apt-mark hold account

#2343 2013-05-01 23:47:16

ew
#! Die Hard

VastOne wrote:
sqlpython wrote:

Simply installed some Linuxes. With Win 8 on machines there is really no rush to solve UEFI. As all machines have the alternative LEGACY BOOT settings.

Aye, and anyone with the gumption to beat the UEFI BS and install Linux knows this or soon finds the solution

wink

That`s not a solution. That`s to chicken out and stick the head in the sand. You haven`t beaten anything. Just stepped back in time. big_smile

- apt-mark hold account

#2344 2013-05-02 00:09:46

babouk
#! CrunchBanger
Website

After trying all kind of distros ...
bridge, calculate, manjaro + the 'buntus

hopped through a vast universe back to .... #!
wink

waldorf | openbox
pekwm

#2345 2013-05-02 00:12:24

ew
#! Die Hard

babouk wrote:

wink

How was Manjaro? It`s very hot right now, but for some reason I haven`t tried it yet...

- apt-mark hold account

#2346 2013-05-02 00:25:12

babouk
#! CrunchBanger
Website

ew wrote:
babouk wrote:

wink

How was Manjaro? It`s very hot right now, but for some reason I haven`t tried it yet...

^ ... used the KDE-spin and it runs very smooth and stable - new packages come a little later than in arch - seems to be a good policy.

Also Boot-time is very good!

If you like KDE give it a try ... (Its the only spin I used for some time) ... guess the other brunches will be a good try too ...

For now I enjoy a lot beeing back to my minimalistic approach - I always tried to make KDE look like openbox
big_smile

Last edited by babouk (2013-05-02 00:26:43)

waldorf | openbox
pekwm

#2347 2013-05-02 01:47:21

sqlpython
#! Die Hard

That`s not a solution. That`s to chicken out and stick the head in the sand. You haven`t beaten anything. Just stepped back in time.

I guess I miss your point..
I am not attempting to Beat anything. I am doing that which pleases me and works for me, that's all.
I don't like nor Use Windows. The Corporate Office requires My office Desktops boot to Windows & so they Can but that's All. :^) 
My Server is CentOS6.
On my Desk for many years is a Linux Laptop.
I have used Linux in place of Windows Every Day since 1995.
I don't have or Need AntiSpam  nor Antivirus softwares.
I have never had a BIOS infected in over 30 years.
Also have Never had a piece of Hardware Breached nor Stolen in over 30 years.
  So, not needing nor wanting UEFI nor Windows does not to my mind resemble sticking my head in the sand. Nor is Windows or UEFI an advancement of any type.
   Remember, neither Windows nor UEFI stand in my way so there is Nothing to beat in my Windows Free UEFI world.
I do however feel the pain for those who must contend with either.
My condolences..  devil

Last edited by sqlpython (2013-05-02 01:57:34)

#2348 2013-05-02 01:52:55

codingman
#! Junkie

I'm back to hopping! I'm going to be trying Slackware next! Maybe Semplice, but I'd really want to get dirty with Linux. Are there any good distros for that purpose?

After that, i'll be trying CentOS.

U iz not goin to getz an anzer frm me if u tip lik dis  mad

#2349 2013-05-02 01:56:44

anonymous
The Mystery Member

codingman wrote:

but I'd really want to get dirty with Linux. Are there any good distros for that purpose?

I don't think you can get any closer than LFS big_smile

Be excellent to each other!

#2350 2013-05-02 02:27:21

CaptainIndifferent
#! CrunchBanger

codingman wrote:

After that, i'll be trying CentOS.

CentOS is a very nice distro, I've been using it at work for years and the only problem I ever had was when they stopped supporting their point upgrades and broke my maintenance scripts.

Any packages that you can't find in the main repos will probably be in the EPEL or Dag Wieers repos. RPMFIND will be your friend.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

Board footer