SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-04-29 16:43:44

CoolDreamZ

Re: #! for old laptops - need CD and non-PAE !!

thanks, I have a linux bbq (oyster) cooking now, a little too bleeding edge for me though! Semplice is pae (i686) and so no good for my old machine and slitaz is not based on debian (I just love apt and synaptic!)

Be excellent to each other!

#27 2013-04-29 17:29:59

ew
#! Die Hard

CoolDreamZ wrote:

thanks, I have a linux bbq (oyster) cooking now, a little too bleeding edge for me though! Semplice is pae (i686) and so no good for my old machine and slitaz is not based on debian (I just love apt and synaptic!)

I have a good option for you. It`s not Debian. It`s based on Lubuntu 12.04 with elements from Linux Mint. Your desire for apt and synaptic is granted with this release. The 32-bit version of PeppermintOS Three is i386, and the iso is only 536 MB.
http://peppermintos.com/download/

The older releases are also available, but the newest 32-bit release should be perfect for you. My experience with PeppermintOS tells me that this is a blazingly fast lightweight distro that are well put together, and estetically very pleasing. Lightweight-distros doesn``t get more polished than this. Actually, Peppermint Three fighted hard for the first spot in my heart, and was only beaten by Crunchbang. Not because Crunchbang is better(it isn`t, they are equally good), but because of the Crunchbang community, and because Crunchbang is a bit more trendy than PeppermintOS. But check it out. It`s really awesome...

- apt-mark hold account

#28 2013-04-29 17:56:19

wuxmedia
wookiee madclaw
Website

ew wrote:

and because Crunchbang is a bit more trendy than PeppermintOS. But check it out. It`s really awesome...

lol Honesty, always the funniest option  big_smile
Please PM the top ten trendy distros  cool   big_smile

#29 2013-04-29 22:24:06

ew
#! Die Hard

wuxmedia wrote:
ew wrote:

and because Crunchbang is a bit more trendy than PeppermintOS. But check it out. It`s really awesome...

lol Honesty, always the funniest option  big_smile
Please PM the top ten trendy distros  cool   big_smile

I could, but they are easy to spot.It`s Distros like Mageja, Manjaro, Zorin, Solus, Bodhi, Sabayon etc..., and you can include Crunchbang to those cool ones:)

- apt-mark hold account

#30 2013-04-30 10:07:24

dbvolvox
#! CrunchBanger

My memory may be faulty (an age thing) but the last time I did a Statler install from CD to a laptop I recall that the CB-welcome script offered a Kernel upgrade (Licquorix?)  which might do the trick for your USB WiFi?

#31 2013-04-30 19:55:58

saneks
#! Die Hard

if you want something with apt and synaptic, which is openbox (LXDE), lightweight and pretty nice OOTB - try WattOS.. latest version is based on ubuntu 12.04 LTS (so probably tons of drivers included) and it is pretty damn sweet.

non PAE, found my belkin usb-wifi-dongle and it just ran from live-cd on a toshiba satellite (ca. year 2000) with a pretty bad cd drive  with 256mb ram. not bad! - wrote the cd with 4x speed.

comes with audacious, vlc, pinta instead of gimp, abiword, gnumeric and all the small stuff you need. low memory footprint and has jupiter for power management preinstalled. nice distro. and looks quite good.

Last edited by saneks (2013-04-30 20:32:05)

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

#32 2013-04-30 22:22:01

ew
#! Die Hard

saneks wrote:

if you want something with apt and synaptic, which is openbox (LXDE), lightweight and pretty nice OOTB - try WattOS.. latest version is based on ubuntu 12.04 LTS (so probably tons of drivers included) and it is pretty damn sweet.

non PAE, found my belkin usb-wifi-dongle and it just ran from live-cd on a toshiba satellite (ca. year 2000) with a pretty bad cd drive  with 256mb ram. not bad! - wrote the cd with 4x speed.

comes with audacious, vlc, pinta instead of gimp, abiword, gnumeric and all the small stuff you need. low memory footprint and has jupiter for power management preinstalled. nice distro. and looks quite good.

I`ve tried WattOS and it was nice for a old laptop. But it wasn`t faster and lighter than PeppermintOS. They performed just as well, but PeppermintOS booted a lot faster. For some reason WattOS is slow-booting by default. Even on newer computers....

- apt-mark hold account

#33 2013-05-07 18:04:20

CoolDreamZ

UPDATE:

thanks for all the suggestions. I've tried Peppermint, liked the OS but it is quite a bit heavier on resources than the linuxbbq distro I tried. Took the plunge and successfully installed #! Waldorf using the net install technique. Nice and light and snappy, so I now have a "trendy" distro :-)

During the #! install there was a post-installation step which allowed me to choose additional packages, this would seem the ideal way to address the need for a CD sized #! distribution....

PS: Fighting with the wireless dongle now (realtek) - building newer drivers from source - but that is another story!

Last edited by CoolDreamZ (2013-05-07 18:05:26)

Board footer