SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-28 22:44:39

xanthonius
Website

Backlight/Brightness Issues - Packard Bell: EasyNote TE

Hey, I've done a little searching around for this before posting this topic, and read many things such as installing xbacklight (which didn't work for me) and adding some sort of vendor=backlight? or something into my GRUB (I couldn't figure out how to do this), can anyone help me here? Thanks!

#!

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-04-29 04:50:16

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

Re: Backlight/Brightness Issues - Packard Bell: EasyNote TE

Post output of

lspci -knn | grep -EiA2 vga

We'll go from there.

EDIT:  I assumed that you could actually get it up and running...which may be careless of me.  If you cannot actually see the screen to boot into a working system, use the "e" button at GRUB.  This will allow you to add kernel parameters.  You may need to add "nomodeset" after the "..... ro" line in GRUB to get it to at least be visible after booting.

The devil is in the details. wink  Please be as specific as possible when explaining problems.

Last edited by DebianJoe (2013-04-29 04:57:32)

#3 2013-04-29 12:30:56

km00
#! CrunchBanger

I'm not sure if you are referring to your screen brightness which you cannot alter with your keyboard.
If you are, try this

sudo setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=XX

Where XX is the percentage of your screen brightness.

In the Service of General Cuckoo

#4 2013-04-29 17:23:57

xanthonius
Website

Hello, thanks for the speedy replies!
Here is the output of the vga command

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0106] (rev 09)
	Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device [1025:0649]
	Kernel driver in use: i915

And yes, I am referring to the screen brightness, I'm not too bothered about the keys at the moment as I can map the keys later on, it's just everything I try won't allow me to adjust the screen brightness. The setpci command you gave me also didn't work sad.
Thanks guys.

#!

#5 2013-04-30 04:36:56

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

Oh.  I had a similar issue when I first installed Waldorf.  I'm surprised that the above doesn't have an effect on it, though.  The 2nd gen sets are a little different, though.  You could use the above link to try to edit kernel boot parameters the same way that I did.  If that works, and you start suffering from backlight resetting itself after sleep, get back to me.  If it doesn't work at all, then we may have to get more creative.

On the other hand, look forward to kernel 3.9, as many of these issues have been corrected in it. big_smile

Last edited by DebianJoe (2013-04-30 04:38:48)

#6 2013-04-30 22:30:04

ew
#! Die Hard

DebianJoe wrote:

Oh.  I had a similar issue when I first installed Waldorf.  I'm surprised that the above doesn't have an effect on it, though.  The 2nd gen sets are a little different, though.  You could use the above link to try to edit kernel boot parameters the same way that I did.  If that works, and you start suffering from backlight resetting itself after sleep, get back to me.  If it doesn't work at all, then we may have to get more creative.

On the other hand, look forward to kernel 3.9, as many of these issues have been corrected in it. big_smile

Wow, I checked now, and Siduction is offering kernel 3.9.0, so now I`m going to try it and see if I get display without the "extra" kernel parameters....

Edit: Ok. 3.9.0 installed and tested. I no longer need setpci in rc.local, and I don`t need acpi_baclight=vendor, but I still need "acpi_osi=\Linux\" in order to get a display.... But all in all, there seems to be some progress...

Last edited by ew (2013-04-30 22:48:09)

- apt-mark hold account

#7 2013-04-30 23:17:18

ew
#! Die Hard

xanthonius wrote:

Hello, thanks for the speedy replies!
Here is the output of the vga command

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0106] (rev 09)
	Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device [1025:0649]
	Kernel driver in use: i915

And yes, I am referring to the screen brightness, I'm not too bothered about the keys at the moment as I can map the keys later on, it's just everything I try won't allow me to adjust the screen brightness. The setpci command you gave me also didn't work sad.
Thanks guys.

I`m not quite sure if you expected setpci to enable you to adjust the brigthness. If I`m understanding it correcly, then the setpci command sets the baclight at a specific value, so you will not be able to adjust it up and down trough a GUI of some sort.

Just humour me. Comment out the setpci command , or remove it. Then reboot, and in Grub hit "e" at the Crunchbang menu entry. Then find the line simmular to this *** GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="ro    quiet" ***

Add in "acpi_osi=Linux" so that the line looks like this:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="ro   acpi_osi=Linux quiet"

Then hit F10 to boot. Don`t worry, the changes that you`ve done is only for this boot, and the default will be restored at next boot. If you at all get a display, then try and see if you can adjust the brightnes.

I`m at kernel 3.9.0, and you are probably at 3.2.0.4, so it may not work for you, but it`s worth a shot...

- apt-mark hold account

#8 2013-05-01 17:41:54

km00
#! CrunchBanger

ew wrote:

I`m not quite sure if you expected setpci to enable you to adjust the brigthness. If I`m understanding it correcly, then the setpci command sets the baclight at a specific value, so you will not be able to adjust it up and down trough a GUI of some sort.

Yes, the setpci is a 'manual quick fix' - you have to reapply it every time you log in, hibernate, suspend .. etc.
I didn't mention that - I thought that much was assumed.
Also the command - is for the terminal, to apply it to your boot script ... er ... I'd have to find the instructions on how to do that - but it will only work if it works in terminal - it doesn't work on all systems.

Thought I'd clarify it just in case.

In the Service of General Cuckoo

#9 2013-05-01 23:57:41

ew
#! Die Hard

km00 wrote:
ew wrote:

Yes, the setpci is a 'manual quick fix' - you have to reapply it every time you log in, hibernate, suspend .. etc.
I didn't mention that - I thought that much was assumed.
Also the command - is for the terminal, to apply it to your boot script ... er ... I'd have to find the instructions on how to do that - but it will only work if it works in terminal - it doesn't work on all systems.

Thought I'd clarify it just in case.

Yes, I also  assumed that, but then I got a little bit unsure if he assumed it to be a full fix, and that`s why he felt that it didn`t work for him. You never know how much people assume or not:)

An easy way to reapply it every time you login is to put the command in /etc/rc.local .... That worked for me as long as I needed it. Kernel 3.9.0 solved it for me...

- apt-mark hold account

Board footer