SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-16 14:06:54

jigenbakuda

[Solved] CPU constantly around 90%+ help

I know #! is a very lightweight distro, so it is not #!'s fault for my cpu usage.
Can you guys give me some tips on how to reduce  my cpu usage?

I'm pretty sure that cpu is so high because of two things...
1. I keep too many tabs open in my web browser. (So what is the max tabs should I keep open at once?)

2.I run too many programs at once. (I run, opera, ktorrent, clementine, pidgin,  and thunar / terminal, is this too much, or should I choose a couple not to run at the same time?)

What are the dangers of the cpu running above 90% constantly?

Lastly thanks for reading, even if you can not help me! (^_^)

Last edited by jigenbakuda (2013-04-30 01:45:48)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-04-16 14:17:15

zalew
#! Junkie

Re: [Solved] CPU constantly around 90%+ help

nothing fancy about those few apps open, a browser, music player and piracy are casual use that even the weakest equipment could handle. unless you are watching some heavy experimental javascript/flash animations in the browser, nothing of that should even touch the cpu in a noticable way.

run `top` or `htop` and see what's eating up the cpu. if it's xorg (probably) or the browser, it means you got the wrong gpu drivers (then install smxi, it will hep you out with the process of installing drivers).

>What are the dangers of the cpu running above 90% constantly?

overheating. when cpu reaches critical temp, your computer should automatically shutdown.

#3 2013-04-16 14:37:43

jigenbakuda

top says opera is around 49-55%, clementine at 14 - 20%, and xorg at 9,4-9.9%

but atm my cpu is hovering at 89-92%

I found the thread on installing smxi, but its seems a bit lengthy and I need to study now, I actually tried to update my nvidia drivers with no luck before, it would seem smxi is the key.

Thanks so much zalew, I will try to install smxi in the evening, to see if that fixes anything.

#4 2013-04-16 15:02:29

zalew
#! Junkie

looks like it's as I said. nvidia is a mess.

smxi is quite user-friendly. it's powerful but you don't have to use all the options, just go straight to the graphic drivers menu and try the one it recommends for you, reboot, and everything should be fine. if it's not, experiment with other driver options.

as an example, I also got nvidia, here's my current top with a similar setup to yours. firefox, eclipse, clementine, transmission, pidgin, plus a few processes for programming stuff. as you see, firefox and xorg still show some cpu bursts, but it's not unbearable. other programs you mention shouldn't even show up any significant usage - there's no reason to. playing an mp3 or chatting on pidgin don't perform any heavy operations, the problems you have are due to rendering gui - because of said bad drivers.

PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S  %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND                       
12729 zalew     20   0 1091m 350m  38m S   6.6  8.8   3:43.87 iceweasel                     
 2237 root      20   0  238m 103m  15m S   2.7  2.6  30:51.78 Xorg                          
 3342 zalew     20   0  349m 5992 3392 S   2.3  0.1   6:03.21 conky                         
 3925 zalew     20   0  201m  46m 2064 S   1.7  1.2  15:46.07 python                        
 5280 zalew     20   0  417m  53m  11m S   1.0  1.4  12:49.59 transmission-gt               
13165 zalew     20   0  408m  33m  16m S   0.7  0.9   0:00.63 /usr/bin/termin               
13241 zalew     20   0 23268 1656 1184 R   0.3  0.0   0:00.02 top                           

Last edited by zalew (2013-04-16 15:10:18)

#5 2013-04-16 15:24:23

xaos52
The Good Doctor

Maybe OP's system is memory bound?
Post output of

free -h

#6 2013-04-16 16:03:54

cchhrriiss121212
#! Junkie

It would help to know what CPU you have, I would expect 90% from that activity on an older machine or a low end mobile chip.

#7 2013-04-18 16:32:35

jigenbakuda

I installed smxi, but at times it complained about apt-get not being able to update my system correctly because my sources weren't current or right or something. I am sure it updated my drivers, but I will probably do it again after updating my sources.

This is the output of free -h

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          1.7G       1.2G       556M         0B        32M       474M
-/+ buffers/cache:       708M       1.0G
Swap:         487M         0B       487M

And my cpu is an AMD Athlon II 160u processor

At the moment I am using 770mb / 1.73 gb of ram
0 b / 488 mb of swap usage
34.5gb / 39.4gb of disk usage
100% cpu usage

I have ktorrent, opera (with 29 tabs open, some pictures, one tumblr, but most regular text sites) file manager, clementine, and terminal running.

I am sure that having that many tabs open takes up more resources, but I'm not sure if thats the issue.

And thanks so much guys for helping me out so far.

Edit: I closed most of the website tabs (keeping my pictures and tumblr open) in opera and cpu is still around 95-98%

Edit 2: I installed another set of nvidia drivers from smxi and it still is 90% + I'm really starting to think, its just me having a crappy computer  sad

Last edited by jigenbakuda (2013-04-18 16:47:00)

#8 2013-04-18 18:31:58

Ed Flanders
#! Member

You can type opera:cpu in Opera's address bar to see if any tabs are misbehaving. 55% seems too high for light browser use.

I've made a huge mistake

#9 2013-04-18 19:56:34

cchhrriiss121212
#! Junkie

This could be an opera issue, try switching off any add ons you have enabled. And have you tried using any other browsers under a similar tab load?

#10 2013-04-19 04:00:36

jigenbakuda

sad I think it might be an issue with opera too, just switching to iceweasel dropped it like 20% with similar tabs open and all of my iceweasel add-ons  going.

When I entered opera:cpu in opera the pages seemed well behaved, but there was a mysterious "other" that had like 90% usage...

Edit : Not that I think 70% is an amazing cpu usage, I still think it should be lower, right? Anyways, clearly something is still hogging my resources.

Last edited by jigenbakuda (2013-04-19 04:03:28)

#11 2013-04-19 04:14:38

zalew
#! Junkie

try switching to the nouveau driver and see what happens.

#12 2013-04-19 09:04:59

cchhrriiss121212
#! Junkie

Try this: close all programs then check htop. If CPU usage is consistently (i.e. not spiking) running high, then you have an issue. If not, this is just your CPU doing what it does.

I have an old laptop I still use occasionally, it will be at 100% load when doing pretty much anything more intensive than a text editor. As long as it runs cool and does what you want, I wouldn't worry about it.

#13 2013-04-19 13:00:13

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Not sure if this has been asked/answered ... How are you determining 90% cpu usage ? What kernel is being used, assume waldorf default ? Atm have no idea which that is. Can find out in terminal with "uname -r" curiousity. Am too lazy to look through release notes/etc.

With any browser, reducing cpu usage = Install noscript in FW/IW ( or the equivalent in either Chrome or Opera.) Firefox person here ... So it's Noscript for me but chrome and opera have noscript knockoffs too. Only ever played with those browsers, noticed some postive gains with the noscripts equivs for them. Think it's called Notscripts for chrome/opera. Am a big time noscript fan for either Firefox or Iceweasel ( should be any mozilla based web browser for that matter.)

But imo ... no, 90% cpu usage would drive me nutz, wouldn't/couldn't put up w it either. The likely result ... assuming you're actually seeing things stay that high. Heat ( one mortal enemy of electronics), wear and tear on the chip.

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-04-19 13:05:15)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#14 2013-04-20 04:17:42

jigenbakuda

I switched to the nouveau and that dropped it a bit, but its still high, its 100% atm, but it was like 85% eartlier today.

kernal = 3.2.0-4-686-pae

Just installed no script, but need to restart to see its effect.

Will check htop while restarting opera.

Edit: with everything closed htop showed my cpu at like 15%

Noscripts certainly drops the cpu usage, opera is around 35 - 40% now. I still need to play around with it. When I first turned noscripts on my total cpu usage was like 15%, but when I allocated resources for java script, opera itself bumped up to like 30%

Edit 2 : So I tested iceweasel with a similar tabload and with noscript it was lower than opera (like 20's), so part of the problem might be opera, but its not big enough for me to stop using it. I think the number of tabs is affecting it too, but in general I feel this is much more doable, but just as one thing looks better, another issue arises.

My clementine is now runnong at like 30% and the process "/usr/bin/X11/X -nolisten tcp -auth /var/run/slim.auth vt07" is comsuming like 11% cpu ontop of  clementine <sigh> I am perplexed...

Last edited by jigenbakuda (2013-04-20 05:09:59)

#15 2013-04-20 23:53:11

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Mentioned ... haven't used Chrome/Opera very often. Keep them around for cross browser stuff ( thus don't really want them blocking anything.) Only played with the noscript like plugins or extensions for them out of curiousity. The brief dorking around led me to conclude the plugins are more labor intensive than plain ole noscript. Never felt the need to invest the time in them.

Honestly ... also never bothered learning much about how Chrome or Opera operate either. Used Firefox since forever, since before the sucker went v 1.0 . Always done very well for me, so it's probably always going to be the mainstay. Using noscript w mozilla based browsers is fairly straightforward I think. You allow websites you use often, can temp allow websites if needed and revoke those temp permissions if/when wanted too. ... Isn't much to dealing with it. No allocating resources to javascript/etc.

With Chrome/Opera ... never bothered going that far with the noscripts equivs, beyond noticing that of course system resources dropped when javascript or flash on a website are blocked with them.

Random all overda place babble follows.

Have always had good results with relying on the integrated video on the pc's I've used gnu/nix with. Might look around in bios for your pc and fallback to that ? I am not the person to ask about problem vidcards and vidcard drivers. My 1st impulse if couldn't readily find a fix would be to drop back to using integrated graphics for a pc that was ticking me off. I don't want to play games etc on pc's anyway. To me that's what other electronics are for ... Not that do much of that either. wink

Clementine: Had to look it up, apparently ... it's a music player ? Multi-media app ? Jmo on that ... there's hardly EVER a shortage of app selection in gnu/nix ... If xyz music player causes you headaches and buttpains ... Look @ the no doubt 42 ( or 49043940) other alternatives you have and try some of them instead.

Had to look up your cpu's specs too. Says single core @ 1.8Ghz clock speed ... Which someone should be able to get a fine user experience w #! on a chip like that. Provided their usage patterns are reasonable though, by that I mean ... if you want to do 2,400 things with an underpowered cpu, yeah ... someone is no doubt going to redline the hardware. My understanding is MANY cpu's outlive the hardware they're installed on. Meaning a perfectly good cpu gets thrown away when people retire a pc and upgrade. The cpu is still fine, when folks throw the pc in the trash.

Still imo ... isn't a good thing to keep a chip @ 90-100% constantly. May have to adjust your usage patterns. ie: Do you really need 30 browser tabs open + a buncha torrents + xyz ? Another way of saying, be mindful of your hardware's specs and what it's reasonably capable of doing. Maybe try to somewhat adjust the way you use that hardware accordingly and/or explore the lighter weight alternatives to heavy apps you're using ?

Only 2 cents ... hope helps.

Vll! smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-04-21 00:00:03)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#16 2013-04-29 17:14:56

jigenbakuda

Just to give an update about my cpu usage and to help anyone who comes to this thread from google (or preferably duck duck go, lol).

I, at the moment, am using around 18-28% cpu with my web broswer open, playing music, seeding torrents, and having my messenger open... So big improvement. I am so glad I made this thread, I learned a lot. So apparently the applications I was using were the issue.

After some research I discovered that clemintine was a RAM hog and it used quite a bit of cpu on my system. I used clementine because I thought it was lightweight, but obviously.... yea, anyways I am now using the DeaDBeeF music player (which has last-fm support) and it plays very nicely with everything I use and is not hogging resources.

Also opera is a resource hog (although it is still my default cause its my favorite), using ice weasel I am enjoying low cpu usage. I have like 7 or so tabs open at the moment and one is tumblr, so I ccan't ask for more.

I should also mention that I use yahoo mail, and yahoo mail is a megahog on resources. So now I only open it when I need to look, since pidgen tells me when I get a new email anyways.

Using those things I have reduced my cpu usage, I hope this thread can help others as it has helped me (^_^) thanks ladies and gentlemen.

Board footer