SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-04-18 17:48:21

Marcadam

Re: The Future of Desktops

I like this thread. For me a laptop is unattractive, accus break soon and the units are short-lived except for Apple. I consider an iPad to carry around documents ( I use mainly a motorbike). Reading pdf's on a smartphone is tiresome. Have a couple of PC's and the monitor size and RAM are more important than the processor speed. Have tried alternative input devices but mouse / keyboard are so easy to use. I am switching to xfce on all systems because it suits me best ( for now), the distro has less importance as long as it comes from Debian. But the most important thing for me is the workplace around the PC. In every room I use the PC for a specific task. I use several browsers thematically - e-mails, my website, technical stuff, linux pages, music related etc. I try to use every PC for a specific task, each one should have a distinct purpose. I stopped worrying about the machine specs, what counts are the data and the time invested to get a job done. For the moment, learning basics of linux reduces my interest in the PC desktop daily.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#27 2013-04-18 20:30:40

douglas
#! CrunchBanger

VastOne wrote:

It really will become a generational thing IMO... You will only pry this desktop/server out of my cold dead hands..

+1

servingwater wrote:

Desktop's as in PC towers will go away and laptops will become the new "desktops" while smartphones and tablets become the new "laptops".

+1  for the masses, not necessarily for the tinkerers among them.  I get frustrated not being able to easily upgrade laptops.  But if they are cheap enough, just get a new one every year or two... disposable.

Marcadam wrote:

I like this thread.

+1

#28 2013-04-18 21:28:26

zalew
#! Junkie

the idea that an average user who only checks email, news and youtube, needs the exact same piece of equipment and graphical environment as the professional who does complex multitasking work with a completely different set of requirements, was always stupid in the first place. only now people are noticing it because they have more choice.

right tool for the job.

#29 2013-04-19 05:12:58

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

zalew wrote:

right tool for the job.

This, over and over again.

Posting this from my workplace (where I SHOULD be working, and not chiming in on a forum discussion...but the coffee's not done brewing yet.), I am sitting in a lab with a triple monitor workstation on my desk.  I can assure you that I'd have less stuff scattered around if it were feasible.  A smartphone may do a lot, but there will always be users who need as much computing power as possible because the world isn't slowing down.  In order to develop at the same rate as the curve, we are forced to push ahead.

Back in the days of my TRS-80 color computer, everyone used the same/similar tools because that's all that was really available.  Think of it like shovels.  If all that we had were shovels, that's what everyone who needed to dig would use.  As time moves on, we can use trowels and spades for the light gardening, and backhoes for construction workers.

I don't see desktops ever really going away.

#30 2013-04-19 08:47:41

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ I was going to mention Maslow's Law of the Instrument, but from your sig I see you're already familiar with it.

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#31 2013-04-19 13:48:34

douglas
#! CrunchBanger

DebianJoe wrote:

Back in the days of my TRS-80 color computer, everyone used the same/similar tools because that's all that was really available.

And we were glad to have it!

#32 2013-04-19 20:33:28

wuxmedia
wookiee madclaw
Website

I like this thread too, us oldies who has been a few years in the first time of computing  might be astounded with he advanced tech people think nothing of nowadays.
I'm using the tablet now to post this and I feel like I'm in star trek (TNG) this tab has nearly the same spec as my lappy :-)
Although I still type terrible :-\

#33 2013-04-19 21:04:22

douglas
#! CrunchBanger

wuxmedia wrote:

Although I still type terrible :-\

"Hunt and peck" has served me well for nearly 4 decades!  wink

#34 2013-04-19 21:11:20

wuxmedia
wookiee madclaw
Website

lol hah yeah try on a Seven inch tablet - that's smaller than my rubber keyed speccy :-) still hunt and peck - goddamnit why is the frikkin homepages button above the spacebar?!?√
I ment below :-) fricckn darn keyboard a least theres a suggested wording

Last edited by wuxmedia (2013-04-19 21:14:21)

#35 2013-04-20 07:20:02

tmillic
#! CrunchBanger

Once someone with a smartphone leaves their provider's range, they have little more than an expensive clock; maybe an mp3 player. Tablets and a lot of other devices still require other machines to do the heavy computing for them and merely function as a means of access to the other machines.
As an illustration, I have a large desktop (an old extended ATX Tyan dual-slot board with Opteron 2347HE CPUs) that I would use for running programs written and tested initially on my primary machine, a netbook. The netbook has a monitor I plug in at home and a USB hub with a keyboard and mouse. It's just for development. Admittedly, the large desktop has seen little use after getting accounts on large 6000+ core clusters with RAM in the TB range that can do in an hour or two what would take most of a year on the big desktop at home. So, as my needs for computing power increased, the hardware that I use directly shrunk to a netbook. I'm still dependent on the large cluster running my programs though. Not surprisingly, demand for time on these large clusters has increased incredibly over the last several years. A lot of research and development uses complex data systems and lots of processing ability that you just can't put into handheld devices yet. You could ssh into one of these capable machines from an iphone if you wanted and run your tests, but you're still depending on a large, bulky piece of hardware. The bulk just isn't in your hand or living room. Smartphones, tablets and other small devices won't replace large pieces of hardware, but increase our dependence on them whether it's a tiny app getting the weather from a server somewhere or writing a fortran program to determine the weather on a cluster. Our small devices essentially become input and output devices, not replacements, for these larger machines that are out of our sight.

#36 2013-04-20 07:27:22

tmillic
#! CrunchBanger

I will admit though that I toyed with the idea of using a cheap tablet mounted on the wall behind my desk to display my server's access and error logs after seeing that some tablets cost about the same or less than sub 9" displays. But this would still be using the tablet as just an output device for the server.

Board footer