SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-16 20:07:36

Lithdk

Partitioning :i

Aight, so here comes my first question before I even got it installed on my desktop. I dont usually mess with partitions because this is a dell and it got all sorts of shit on it, but my drive is getting abit messy as seen on the enclosed screenshot of GParted. ( http://postimg.org/image/9iyfn34s7/ )

How do I go about wiping the whole drive and only having #! on it? And is it safe, will my machine boot after it? Normally I just install OS' and let it clear all partitions, but with this being a dell and they having made special partitions is there something to beware of? I dont really care for recovery and shizz, but I see one of them is named boot at the right side. DellUtility is just diagnostic tools. I also dont really care for windows any more, Im doing fine without.

So, if I stick in the USB with Waldorf on it, and select the option to wipe all partations and install #! will my machine still work? smile Thanks in advance

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-04-16 20:27:42

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

Re: Partitioning :i

If the live run worked, then you can expect that the wipe/install will work as well.  The installer should give you the option to make a single partition for linux, and then set up a small swap (if I remember the installer correctly.)  By allowing it to pretty much use the default settings, you'll do exactly what you're speaking of.

#3 2013-04-16 20:33:25

Lithdk

Thank you, was just the answer I was hoping for. Bear in mind, my laptop will still work so I will come back and hold you accountable if my desktop breaks wink ^^

BRB installing #!

Edit: Worked, Im now the proud owner of a #! desktop big_smile

Last edited by Lithdk (2013-04-16 21:01:50)

#4 2013-04-16 22:40:41

ew
#! Die Hard

Lithdk wrote:

Thank you, was just the answer I was hoping for. Bear in mind, my laptop will still work so I will come back and hold you accountable if my desktop breaks wink ^^

BRB installing #!

Edit: Worked, Im now the proud owner of a #! desktop big_smile

Way to go! We welcome you with open arms, and hope that  you get lots of issues, because solving those issues is where all the fun is:)

Just kidding. Crunchbang is rock solid. A exellent choice. Thumbs up!

Last edited by ew (2013-04-16 22:41:07)

- apt-mark hold account

#5 2013-04-16 22:45:38

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

Glad to hear that I remembered it right.  If that didn't work for you, I had a VM primed to do a step-by-step with you. wink
Enjoy your new desktop!

#6 2013-04-19 20:18:53

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Make sure you have the Windows product key in case you need/want to run Windows again.  Non-OEM versions of Windows 7 exist online that can be downloaded and used, but you need a valid product key.  I would also make sure to have all the applicable drivers necessary for your system to run under Windows, again just in case you need/want to run Windows again.

#7 2013-04-19 22:57:50

ew
#! Die Hard

KrunchTime wrote:

Make sure you have the Windows product key in case you need/want to run Windows again.  Non-OEM versions of Windows 7 exist online that can be downloaded and used, but you need a valid product key.  I would also make sure to have all the applicable drivers necessary for your system to run under Windows, again just in case you need/want to run Windows again.

Why would he ever do that? The only excuse to use Windows, is on a powerful gaming rig. I use it to play Trackmania. Besides that, Windows is just a waste of space and resources... smile

- apt-mark hold account

#8 2013-04-20 05:22:10

vicshrike
#! by Default

ew wrote:

The only excuse to use Windows, is on a powerful gaming rig.

what about printer problems?  big_smile

#!, all else is but a shadow.

#9 2013-04-20 11:31:16

ew
#! Die Hard

vicshrike wrote:
ew wrote:

The only excuse to use Windows, is on a powerful gaming rig.

what about printer problems?  big_smile

Who is printing anymore. We have to save the enviroment smile

Just kidding. Anyway, I didn`t think about printer problems, perhaps because I`ve never had any issues with it. Neither with my last printer or the new one. Maybe because I`m not using any advanced functions...

- apt-mark hold account

#10 2013-04-20 12:55:05

Lithdk

Honestly the only reason I would ever need windows again is gaming. My printer is working fine, everything else is working fine and gaming in linux is booming/about to boom right now. So I didnt keep my product key smile And Im glad, no chance to go back

#11 2013-04-20 16:05:42

ew
#! Die Hard

Lithdk wrote:

Honestly the only reason I would ever need windows again is gaming. My printer is working fine, everything else is working fine and gaming in linux is booming/about to boom right now. So I didnt keep my product key smile And Im glad, no chance to go back

That`s the spirit. Thums up:)

- apt-mark hold account

Board footer