SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-01 07:31:11

zild1221

New to CrunchBang. New to Linux. Few questions.

Just figured I would pop in and say hello. I am a complete fool when it comes to Linux. I decided on Crunchbang a couple of months ago for this old laptop I found. I needed something super lightweight and didn't look like a pile of garbage.

Anyway, I have a couple questions. First off system specs:

IBM Thinkpad T42
Pentium M 1.7GHz
756MB RAM
I love the keyboard on this. Easily one of the best laptop keyboards ever made. That is why I am keeping it mainly for work emails.

Like I said, I downloaded CB a while back now. My current kernel version is 2.6.32-5-686. When I downloaded this, I don't remember there being a version for "older" pc's like there is now. Am I correct in thinking this? If so, should I update this version, or should I download and install the "older" pc version?

Next... I have a Rosewill USB wireless network card for this laptop, as it doesn't have built in wireless. Right now I have a problem with the connection just stopping after a couple minutes of use. Is there any reason why it would do this? And do you think an update to the kernel might fix this?

I appreciate what you guys are doing. I love the look and feel of CrunchBang. Plus, it works on this old POS. You guys should develop a Raspberry PI distro!

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-02-01 09:14:00

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Re: New to CrunchBang. New to Linux. Few questions.

Welcome aboard zild1221.

It would be best, I think, to use Waldorf (Crunchbang 11) as this is more up to date, & has the latest drivers. It is based on Debian Wheezy, which is in the process of being declared 'Stable'. (Suitable for production use.)

To know whether your USB wifi will work will depend on the actual chip being used in it.
(Please post a new topic to try & get that resolved.)

You might find this thread of interest :-
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=23168

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#3 2013-02-01 12:13:48

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Welcome to Club#!, zild1221!

I'd second the recommendation for Waldorf; furthermore, I think the non-PAE kernel in the version "for older PCs" would be best for your hardware.  The 686 PAE kernel has a history of balking at certain versions of the Celeron M processor, even though it should theoretically be supported.
The kernel in Waldorf/Wheezy (3.2.0) is practically a speed demon compared to the (non-backported) kernel in Statler/Squeeze.  I think you'll be impressed. cool

Yes; as a matter of fact, I am a cop.  Why do you ask? cool
I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#4 2013-02-01 17:56:09

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

Welcome, mate. The T42 was a great laptop, I had one as well but with 1GB ram I think, or was it 512MB? Anyways, good sturdy piece until the screen developed dead pixels and it only started once in every 4-5 attempts or so.

To refer to your intro: #!= where even fools are welcome (and you would be a fool to use it  lol ). Forgive me, I'm having a cheeky day today  wink .

#5 2013-02-01 20:58:44

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Welcome to CrunchBang and the Community zild1221, we are glad to have you!

VSIDO | SolusOS

Words That Build Or Destroy

#6 2013-02-01 23:40:05

atiroch

Welcome zild. I've actually got a T41 with the 1.6 GHz CPU and 1 GB RAM. I've been running Statler for about 6 months now and just got Waldorf's USB persistence working today and have been playing with that for a few hours. My HDD is busted, so persistent USBs are all I have experience with, not sure if that makes much of a difference though.
To me Statler seems a bit snappier than Waldorf. For example, YouTube videos in Iceweasel see stuttering a lot more often than in Statler (which was pretty rare). Also, while I see CPU-related bottlenecking in Statler ocasionally when programs just take a while to open, Waldorf seems a little more prone to that.
Maybe test both of them via bootable USB and see how they feel to you.

#7 2013-02-02 03:36:44

douglas
#! CrunchBanger

Welcome to #!

#8 2013-02-02 03:59:57

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Welcome aboard, zild1221, from another T42 and T60 user. smile I seem to remember the T42 having built-in wireless, but perhaps your card isn't working. You might want to do a forum search to see if someone has had the same problem, and if there's a solution availaable, and if not, go ahead and ask the question in the Help and Support section. Good luck!

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#9 2013-02-02 05:19:58

zild1221

Thanks for the welcoming. I will create a new thread for the USB wireless issue.

Apparently this is the crappy model of the T42. It came with no wireless card (empty spot there), 256MB RAM, the least powerful GPU setup, and the lowest clocked CPU.

#10 2013-02-02 08:36:53

intoCB
Scatweasel

Welcome, zild1221. I hope you get your wireless problems sorted out.

"Developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers." - Steve Ballmer

#11 2013-04-12 16:53:03

roger-h

Brand new to CrunchBang, I also have a Thinkpad T42 (1 GB RAM plus wireless) that I plan on installing Waldorf on tonight. zild, any additional wisdom you picked up in the last month?

#12 2013-04-18 18:30:37

roger-h

Installed Waldorf (non-pae version), love it! Had no wrinkles during installation. Added an enhanced battery pack and now I'm getting four hours of run time unplugged.

One question. I tried compiling my own kernel as per these instructions:

http://www.linux-answered.com/2012/08/1 … wn-kernel/

The system balked on the very last command (will post error message later). Has anyone compiled their own kernel for the T42 who can give me some tips?

#13 2013-04-18 20:42:22

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

zild1221 wrote:

I love the keyboard on this. Easily one of the best laptop keyboards ever made. That is why I am keeping it mainly for work emails.

You, sir, have the taste of a true gentleman.  Welcome to the Crunchbang family, it's a pleasure to have you.
(Posted from my T43.)

Board footer