SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-05 17:43:30

magester1

Wireless internet connection trouble

Hello everyone! I'm in dire need of some help...
I installed Crunchbang Statler on my netbook (eeePC 1001PXD) around 8 months ago. Everything's been going great so far and I can't help loving #! more and more.
However, since about a week ago, I'm having trouble establishing an internet connection. I've searched the forums but everything I could find was related to new installations or problems with the wireless drivers, that's not my case here I think (if I missed something I apologize in advance).
First of all, I know the drivers are working (or at least should), given that I've been using it for months now. Usually, the problem is I *can* connect to my wireless network, with a working IP and all, but have no access to the internet. Keyword: "usually", some other times I can't even connect to the network.
Now, in case something is wrong with my wireless router I tried booting into Windows 7. Everything works perfect there, moreover, my sister has her own notebook with Windows and hasn't been having any trouble at all. Also, if I try a direct wired connection, just plugging in the ethernet cable, that works ok too.
So, I'm guessing it's not the router and certainly not my network adapter.

What's more, it seems to randomly connect. Right *now* I'm typing this with my netbook on Crunchbang. Though this only happens like once every couple of days.

I'm completely lost here... I have no idea where to start or what to look for.
I'd really appreciate any help you guys could give me.
Thanks!

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-04-05 18:40:24

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Re: Wireless internet connection trouble

Dr Xaos is the wifi guy, but I expect he'll advise upgrading to waldorf, as it will have a more recent driver.

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#3 2013-04-05 18:45:18

xaos52
The Good Doctor

Post output of

lspci -knn | grep -EiA2 net
sudo grep -Ei 'wlan|net|wpa|dhc' /var/log/syslog 

Output of the 2nd command could be long. If it is, post it on paste.debian.net and post a link here.

PS: Good advice from fatmac, but perhaps you have good reason to stay with stable?

Last edited by xaos52 (2013-04-05 18:47:33)

#4 2013-04-05 19:28:37

magester1

For the first one:

$ lspci -knn | grep -EiA2 net
01:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications AR8152 v2.0 Fast Ethernet [1969:2062] (rev c1)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8468]
	Kernel driver in use: atl1c
02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8191SEvA Wireless LAN Controller [10ec:8171] (rev 10)
	Subsystem: AzureWave Device [1a3b:1107]
	Kernel driver in use: rtl8192se

and second one at http://paste.debian.net/plainh/da7a8f33

Keep in mind that it IS working right now. Perhaps I should wait until it stops to post the second command's output again?
Just in case it makes a difference about the second output: it first tried connecting to a wireless connection that's not my own (probably because I've been having this problems), I just had to cancel that one and select mine.

I don't really have a good reason to stay with stable. It's not like I use this pc for things that need the most recent of releases... but then again, maybe I wouldn't be having this problem if it turns out to be the drivers being outdated.
I guess I just don't want to have to reinstall everything again. I don't really have a record of flawless distro upgrades.

Thanks for replying so fast!

#5 2013-04-06 00:08:58

ew
#! Die Hard

I will not interfear in the wifi issue, because the good doctor knows a lot more than me.

But when it comes to Waldorf. It is stable. Just waiting for Debian to lift the freeze. Happens in  a short time..., so unless you are going to continue to run Statler forever, you could just as well do it now.....

Last edited by ew (2013-04-06 00:09:56)

- apt-mark hold account

#6 2013-04-06 01:00:50

magester1

Guess you're right, I don't really have anything holding me back on Statler.
But it was just so sudden... if it isn't driver related or whatever would be fixed by upgrading, then the problem might arise once again in the future.

Anyway, would you guys actually recommend upgrading as a fix for this?
I have nothing against doing so, I just haven't been very lucky with distro upgrades in the past, none of them were Crunchbang though...

#7 2013-04-06 09:07:01

xaos52
The Good Doctor

I cant see anything wrong in the info you posted.
And as it is working now, I would wait until the problem comes back, and then collect and post the new info.

A new install is recommended for waldorf instead of upgrade.
So you would have to save personal settings and data before installing waldorf, and restore after.

Stable is getting old now, especially for a personal environment.
Perhaps wait a bit until wheezy goes stable, and corenominal releases the new waldorf.

Board footer