SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-27 00:39:15

aleza66
Member
Registered: 2012-08-26
Posts: 10

help needed installing from hhd (no usb, cd)

Hey!

I wanted to install it on my laptop (which I have no USB boot, or cd (its broken))

I tried to boot it from hard disk using Unetbootin, and it worked, but when the installer started... I keeps asking me to get the packages from the cd drive.

Any help on how can I get to install using the iso mounted on a partition??

Thanks

Offline

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-08-30 00:02:53

Sector11
77345 ¡#
From: SR11 Cockpit
Registered: 2010-05-05
Posts: 12,827
Website

Re: help needed installing from hhd (no usb, cd)

I Googled: Install Linux with ISO on a Hard drive partition

Try this: http://www.linuxforu.com/2009/03/instal … om-an-iso/

Written in 2009 so I'm sure this:

The partition on the hard disk holding the ISO files must be formatted with the ext2, ext3 or vfat files system.

can be updated to use ext4.

Offline

#3 2012-08-30 11:55:43

aleza66
Member
Registered: 2012-08-26
Posts: 10

Re: help needed installing from hhd (no usb, cd)

Sector11 wrote:

I Googled: Install Linux with ISO on a Hard drive partition

Try this: http://www.linuxforu.com/2009/03/instal … om-an-iso/

Written in 2009 so I'm sure this:

The partition on the hard disk holding the ISO files must be formatted with the ext2, ext3 or vfat files system.

can be updated to use ext4.

Awsome, thanks for replying, at the moment I am stuck since the laptop has already window$ installed. I have managed to install grub... I will try to get this: http://www.linuxforu.com/2010/09/instal … -usb-boot/ I hope I can try this distro soon. It looks promising.

Offline

#4 2012-08-30 13:45:51

Sector11
77345 ¡#
From: SR11 Cockpit
Registered: 2010-05-05
Posts: 12,827
Website

Re: help needed installing from hhd (no usb, cd)

aleza66 wrote:

Awsome, thanks for replying, at the moment I am stuck since the laptop has already window$ installed. I have managed to install grub... I will try to get this: http://www.linuxforu.com/2010/09/instal … -usb-boot/ I hope I can try this distro soon. It looks promising.

OK a little refinement in the search and I found: Installing Debian from harddisk - CrunchBang is Debian based - this should work.

Last edited by Sector11 (2012-08-30 13:46:08)

Offline

#5 2012-08-31 01:29:21

aleza66
Member
Registered: 2012-08-26
Posts: 10

Re: help needed installing from hhd (no usb, cd)

Sector11 wrote:
aleza66 wrote:

Awsome, thanks for replying, at the moment I am stuck since the laptop has already window$ installed. I have managed to install grub... I will try to get this: http://www.linuxforu.com/2010/09/instal … -usb-boot/ I hope I can try this distro soon. It looks promising.

OK a little refinement in the search and I found: Installing Debian from harddisk - CrunchBang is Debian based - this should work.

Tried it, and the same it keeps a summing I have a CD to use. sad

Offline

#6 2012-08-31 02:56:48

Sector11
77345 ¡#
From: SR11 Cockpit
Registered: 2010-05-05
Posts: 12,827
Website

Re: help needed installing from hhd (no usb, cd)

aleza66 wrote:

Tried it, and the same it keeps a summing I have a CD to use. sad

OK, something a bit newer and right from the Debian Forums:

(SOLVED)Install/Re-install debian from Hard disk?

What #! are you trying to install?  That's for Squeeze - #! Statler - but should do for #! Waldorf as well.

Offline

#7 2012-08-31 03:09:18

aleza66
Member
Registered: 2012-08-26
Posts: 10

Re: help needed installing from hhd (no usb, cd)

Sector11 wrote:
aleza66 wrote:

Tried it, and the same it keeps a summing I have a CD to use. sad

OK, something a bit newer and right from the Debian Forums:

(SOLVED)Install/Re-install debian from Hard disk?

What #! are you trying to install?  That's for Squeeze - #! Statler - but should do for #! Waldorf as well.

Will check it, I was trying to install last stable 32 bit distro available on this page. Will let you know How It went.

Offline

#8 2012-08-31 20:54:06

kelean
#! CrunchBanger
Registered: 2009-01-21
Posts: 179

Re: help needed installing from hhd (no usb, cd)

aleza66 you could try plop boot manager here is a link.

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html

Good luck, Kelean.

Offline

#9 2012-09-03 12:53:34

aleza66
Member
Registered: 2012-08-26
Posts: 10

Re: help needed installing from hhd (no usb, cd)

I get an error of a missing file (which actually is on the path)

Any ideas how can I install linux on this particular case? (No cd, no usb boot)

Network?

Offline

#10 2012-09-03 14:37:22

xaos52
The Good Doctor
From: Planet of the @s
Registered: 2011-06-24
Posts: 4,602

Re: help needed installing from hhd (no usb, cd)

Yes. PXE boot. - You will need another system acting as a server, and accessible via the network - eth only I think.
See http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/post/221154/#p221154

Offline

#11 2013-03-20 12:12:39

aleza66
Member
Registered: 2012-08-26
Posts: 10

Re: help needed installing from hhd (no usb, cd)

I ended the story by simply attaching the disc to another computer, performed the install there and switched the discs.

We can close this topic

Offline

#12 2013-03-20 13:57:15

Sector11
77345 ¡#
From: SR11 Cockpit
Registered: 2010-05-05
Posts: 12,827
Website

Re: help needed installing from hhd (no usb, cd)

Just go to your original post and put a [Solved] in the subject:

[Solved] help needed installing from hhd (no usb, cd)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB

Copyright © 2012 CrunchBang Linux.
Proudly powered by Debian. Hosted by Linode.
Debian is a registered trademark of Software in the Public Interest, Inc.

Debian Logo