SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-20 04:10:06

brig

Something went crunch, then bang, and boom I was here :D

Greetings and Salutations To ALL !!  I got rid of Windows 7  (are we allowed to say that?)  about 6 months ago.  I am  a little past a total noob, but I am truly an eternal noob since I am always learning.  I AM using CrunchBang as my sole operating system,  and think I will be hard pressed to ever change again.  I was looking at Manjaro Openbox, and fell in love with Openbox, and very curious to experience Arch, and even though I got to experience it off my live dvd, alas the installer did not work well on my computer.  I guess that its planned to be a better installer come early Fall............dunno, and now I dont care lol's.  I DID like the pacman, but I am totally familiar with Debian, and Synaptic Package Manager,  and getting better with running scripts in the terminal. I have used various versions of Mint,  I have used Bodhi *its real nice, but I like Openbox over Enlightment, sad to say.  I thought I had found the end of the rainbow when I tried Bodhi, but alas, the need to learn and experiment brings us to new things we never thought possible, and without ever having even thought about it, we have moved forward. When I came across CrunchBang, and watched some videos, and discovered I could have the peace of mind of Debian, the beauty and efficiency of Openbox WITHOUT the fear of Arch crashing,  well, I lost all need to wait for Manjaro to work on its installer a bit more,  and THAT, as they say, is the story of how I got here.

Love,
Brig

eternal noob ops

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-03-20 04:16:31

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Re: Something went crunch, then bang, and boom I was here :D

Welcome to CrunchBang and the Community Brig, we are glad to have you!

VSIDO | SolusOS

Words That Build Or Destroy

#3 2013-03-20 04:22:39

brig

VastOne wrote:

Welcome to CrunchBang and the Community Brig, we are glad to have you!

So TRUE!  Hey, Thank You for the Reply and the Welcome, It was a nice surprise.  I was just up adding a profile pic (no thats not really me) and a signature, came back to check if I did it right, and I felt all warm and fuzzy when I saw a Welcome already kiss

eternal noob ops

#4 2013-03-20 05:35:17

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Wow, you've had quite a trip around the Linux block!  By the way, it's fine to say "Windows 7" here; we have several forum members who are still tied to that due to video games, business software, what-have-you.

Welcome to the Friendliest Corner of the Internets.

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#5 2013-03-20 05:38:52

brig

pvsage wrote:

Wow, you've had quite a trip around the Linux block!  By the way, it's fine to say "Windows 7" here; we have several forum members who are still tied to that due to video games, business software, what-have-you.

Welcome to the Friendliest Corner of the Internets.

I  could probably take a whole page just listing all the distros I have tried,  some of my favorites were Pear, and Zorin as well,  but all of them are nothing compared to CrunchBang IMHO.  You know, I had a few Windows stuffs I was concerned about as well, but with time, I have fortunately been able to either find alternatives, or been able to run installed on PlayOn Linux.

eternal noob ops

#6 2013-03-20 08:44:33

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Welcome aboard brig.

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#7 2013-03-20 08:49:24

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

Same 100% windows free! (Well unless family friends or clients need me to fix something smile ).  *crossing fingers* please valve finish and release left4dead2 on linux!

#8 2013-03-20 13:42:02

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

Welcome brig, we're all eternal n00bs, well, most of us.

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

#9 2013-03-20 13:51:42

brig

Truly nice to meet you all ... I have been having some real good giggles reading around the forums  big_smile   Its nice to see some fun and kindness on a computer distribution forum  kiss

eternal noob ops

#10 2013-03-20 15:50:29

vrkalak
#! Die Hard

Welcome to #!Crunchbang and the #!Forums.

I still have a box, in the storeroom, with well over a 100 different Distro CDs in it ... I am now an avid Debian/Crunchbang/Openbox/Fluxbox user.

tongue   did I mention  >  we has coffee and donuts in the lounge

Registered Linux User: #497030
my DeviantART page
-- #!Crunchbang- Sid "Animal"  (Fluxbox) -- LMDE Fluxbox Edition -- Manjaro-Fluxbox --

#11 2013-03-20 16:26:18

mishle
#! CrunchBanger

Welcome Brig,

This forum is defently enjoyable.

@ vrkalak
I Saw the Coffee but missed the donuts.

#12 2013-03-20 17:06:11

brig

vrkalak wrote:

did I mention  >  we has coffee and donuts in the lounge

methinks me see'd you mentioned that somewhere in the forums somewhere kiss

eternal noob ops

#13 2013-03-21 12:17:36

authentic8

Hey Brig,

..and a big welcome to CrunchBang. Well, my own story mirrors yours almost exactly  big_smile ..I discovered Linux through Mint14 at the end of last year. Through YouTube I found Openbox and recently tried Manjaro. While I was struggling with errors in Manjaro and getting down about it, I came across CrunchBang and took the leap across and boy am I happy i did. I have never been so excited by an OS. With CrunchBang your only limitation is the limits of your imagination. Welcome aboard Brig..

John

#14 2013-03-21 16:33:53

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Welcome aboard, brig!

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#15 2013-03-21 17:53:18

brig

authentic8 wrote:

Hey Brig,

..and a big welcome to CrunchBang. Well, my own story mirrors yours almost exactly  big_smile ..I discovered Linux through Mint14 at the end of last year. Through YouTube I found Openbox and recently tried Manjaro. While I was struggling with errors in Manjaro and getting down about it, I came across CrunchBang and took the leap across and boy am I happy i did. I have never been so excited by an OS. With CrunchBang your only limitation is the limits of your imagination. Welcome aboard Brig..

John

I HEAR ya !!!  You know, I had even struggled, and watched a zillion youtube videos a gazillion times to get to the point where I could install and use Archbang...............but once I had acomplished all that,  after about a whole day of commenting out this and re configuring that,  and bla bla bla and yadda yadda yadda,  well, as much as I was truly PROUD of all that...........well, I mean, I just ended up wondering what I was spending all my time DOING all that for.  I dont REGRET it,  I learned a lot, and maybe someday I will FEEL like just sitting around in front of my computer doing all that,  it IS a wonderful challenge after all,  but no, not today.  I am happy here,  and feel Happy and Lucky that I got here big_smile

eternal noob ops

#16 2013-03-21 21:04:58

rkwurth
#! Junkie

Hey brig just wanted to let you know there's steaks in the fridge, gonna get the fire going in a minute.

#17 2013-03-21 21:14:56

brig

rkwurth wrote:

Hey brig just wanted to let you know there's steaks in the fridge, gonna get the fire going in a minute.

heh heh heh heh,  wouldn't it be nice if we could all wave a magic wand, bring some goodies to share, and all be there just by the wishing .....

eternal noob ops

#18 2013-03-21 22:00:28

jossemarGT
Website

Other newbie salute you tongue I tried bodhi and I almost fall in love with those enlighment pre-builded themes, but, into my career is not allowed to run ubuntu derivated distros tongue

Just doing some distro jumping

#19 2013-03-21 23:13:25

Naik
#! Die Hard

A warm welcome from here to, brig!

I`m allways suprised to here how many distros people tried and in which short amount of time some did so.
I decided to leave the windows familly in 2006 for i am not a gamer and there was no need to stay (besides the fixing-thing with my friends wink ), but i lived happily with ubuntu for the next 5 years.
Evidently it was a new workplace that drove me into progressing again, becaus i was "forced" to use a minimalistic system beeing able to run from a 1gb-flashdrive. That was when i started trying puppylinux, proteus and other stuff like this and finaly discovered crunchbang to be the perfect synthesis of a fully featured desktop-system and a minimalistic need of resources.
i explored and changed and screwed things up and brought them back together and it made crunch! and bang! some time and finaly i found myself in a state where i was telling my win-using frindes (yeah, i still got some) that it is not only an OS i am having here, but a different  way of working with my computer.
AND a great community, friendly and always willing to help me develop! So lets all enjoy the donuts and stuff and never mind the sob stuff some noobs are posting angel

I_Love_Crunchbang-256x192_zps2c6085ab.png

*kaum macht man es richtig, funktioniert es sofort*

#20 2013-03-22 01:05:27

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

^Nice man, well said.

@brig & rkwurth: I'll bring the beer, which ones do you like?

#21 2013-03-22 01:19:44

rkwurth
#! Junkie

Barnabyh - Saranac if you're local, Guiness if you're not!

#22 2013-03-22 01:41:58

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

Guiness it is then!  smile Had a quick look at the Saranac website and it's definitely worth trying, Big Moose Ale sounds good. Will have to see if I can find that anywhere on my travels.
We have the Weatherspoon's pubs beer festivals in October here every year, with plenty guest beers, one barrel each so there's another beer on almost every day. Pale Ale and Bitters if you fancy wink . Maybe they'll have yours one day.

Last edited by Barnabyh (2013-03-22 01:51:55)

#23 2013-03-22 01:49:03

Naik
#! Die Hard

guiness? is this really to be a beer?  *asks the german dude wink

*kaum macht man es richtig, funktioniert es sofort*

#24 2013-03-22 01:57:29

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

^Oh yes, like Schwarzbier. But if you really want to get drunk try Guinness with a shot of Kirschlikör.  cool And have a few.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2013-03-22 02:00:01

rkwurth
#! Junkie

I want a festival with barrels of beer! Pretty sure corenominal can set that up if we all ask nicely. Then we can discuss whether Guiness is beer.

Board footer