SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-17 05:45:52

sexynsmartjenny
#! CrunchBanger

firefox kept on crashing in crunchbang

hi guys, I was wondering why firefox kept on crashing on my crunchbang computer.  it used to be so reliable but somehow on crunchbang it does work so well.  And here is the thing: I downloaded the debian package of the firefox into my main folder, and simply accessed it by clicking on the firefox-bin "thingy".  I never compiled it or "installed" it.  do you think that affects the performance?

Last edited by sexynsmartjenny (2013-03-17 05:46:13)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-03-17 07:20:03

HMW
#! CrunchBanger

Re: firefox kept on crashing in crunchbang

Hi!

First of all, I don't think there are any .deb packages of Firefox for Debian! If you download from Mozillas website, you get a tar archive that is zipped with bzip:

firefox-19.0.2.tar.bz2

If you extract that archive, there is indeed a binary:

firefox/firefox-bin

I don't know exactly what you mean by your ”main” folder, is it your /home/sexynsmartjenny directory you are referring to?

Now, as far as getting it to run as it should, why don't you try this guide:
http://www.libre-software.net/how-to-in … linux-mint

It is how I normally do it (in Debian/#! that is).

Best,
HMW

#3 2013-03-17 07:37:53

samdraz
#! CrunchBanger
Website

maybe downloaded wrong architecture monkey

#4 2013-03-17 10:01:40

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Have more questions ... than answers atm.

No ... never had a problem running Firefox from /home ... Posted and been meaning to post an updated how to for running Firefox on #!/Debian ... Just been too dang lazy to bother.

Do you mean you are going to /home/yourusername and navigating to a Firefox download and clicking on firefox or firefox-bin to launch the browser everytime ? If so that sucks ( imo anyway, shrugs). ie: add a symlink or shortcut to .bashrc, rc.xml for #!. Atm if I hit F5 or Control + Down ... Firefox launches w the firefox profile I want it to be using from a Firefox 64bit download stashed away in ~/ = /home/yourusername ...

Some threads of interest ... here and Sir Ivan shows folks how to set firefox as the x-www-browser there. If it was the wrong arch 686 vs 64bit ... In my experience it wouldn't work at all. Default download from Mozilla's website for gnu/nix is a 32bit ... As recently found out to much butt pains, shrugs.

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-03-17 10:41:42)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#5 2013-03-17 14:02:01

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Is iceweasel doing the same thing, crashing all the time?

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

#6 2013-03-17 20:24:20

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

Hi sexynsmart, is Iceweasel not good enough? It's already installed in #!, or you might want to look into using Firefox as distributed by Mint LMDE.

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

#7 2013-03-18 01:06:21

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

If you use Firefox from Mozilla what I think you do, no, it does not affect the performance. There is maybe something wrong. Try it with disabled addons or even with a clean profile as already pointed by Biz. Or, something I recently experiment, could it be you are accessing sites that use heavily Flash?

#8 2013-03-18 02:30:32

sexynsmartjenny
#! CrunchBanger

VastOne wrote:

Is iceweasel doing the same thing, crashing all the time?

nope, iceweasel works fine, but i deleted it after i had firefox

HMW wrote:

Hi!

First of all, I don't think there are any .deb packages of Firefox for Debian! If you download from Mozillas website, you get a tar archive that is zipped with bzip:

firefox-19.0.2.tar.bz2

If you extract that archive, there is indeed a binary:

firefox/firefox-bin

I don't know exactly what you mean by your ”main” folder, is it your /home/sexynsmartjenny directory you are referring to?

Now, as far as getting it to run as it should, why don't you try this guide:
http://www.libre-software.net/how-to-in … linux-mint

It is how I normally do it (in Debian/#! that is).

Best,
HMW

yes that is exactly what i am doing

Last edited by sexynsmartjenny (2013-03-18 02:35:40)

#9 2013-03-18 02:32:23

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

You can reinstall it

sudo apt-get install iceweasel

#10 2013-03-18 02:36:23

sexynsmartjenny
#! CrunchBanger

i actually deleted iceweasel on purpose because I just felt iceweasel is not good compared to firefox.

#11 2013-03-18 02:38:08

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

It is the same thing... The only difference is branding

#12 2013-03-19 12:05:38

samdraz
#! CrunchBanger
Website

any other app having same problem like iceweasel

#13 2013-03-20 13:35:01

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Just opinions ...

Would reinstall IW, anything over version 4.0 so you get the goodness of the mozilla profile manager. If remember right ... purging IW for me, also got rid of the profile manager too. Is iceweasel diff, than firefox ? I dunno ... guess "for me" I don't really care ... I want Firefox, shrugs.

Still "imo" advantages to running Firefox from /home/yourusername anyway. Being that it auto updates w/o need of waiting for anyone to repackage it and add it to a software repository. May as well just flatout say I'm biased .. I like Firefox, I want firefox.

With Sir Ivan, he's giving me more credit than am due ... He's shown folks how to set up Firefox as the default x-www-brower in #! or any Debian based gnu/nix OS too. Would keep IW installed imo ... as noted above, anything above IW v 4.0 anyway, shrugs.

Not sure what else to say/type ... Mentioned nopers, never had the slightest problem running Firefox from a hidden .dot folder in /home/myusername ... Would reinstall a decent version of IW ... set Firefox as default according to Sir Ivan's instructions and call it good. If you run into probs, you have a serious gnu/nix support network = #! community anyway.

Vll! smile
w
Babble edit ... Arghhh !

Setting up a new mozilla profile could help (imo) sort out whatever problems you're having. I always specify which mozilla profile I want a browser to use ... As noted in one of the links above. When adding firefox  to rc.xml ... I tell it which mozilla profile it's going to use. Leaves off atm ...

Vll2! wink

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-03-20 13:57:43)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

Board footer