SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-16 14:08:52

KneeTie

Need Help Installing/Building Package (AUR)

I need help creating a .deb out of the contents of this package https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/sharpfonts/ or a way of installing everything this package contains, thanks in advance!

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-03-16 15:36:56

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

Re: Need Help Installing/Building Package (AUR)

Looking up how to create a Debian package would be a good first step, no?

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

#3 2013-03-16 15:52:40

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

Actually, you shouldn't need to make this into a package. It's just installed some configuration files. Open up the PKGBUILD and see the package() function.

Just download the tarball, extract it and move the files like they do in the package() function. However, font configuration might differ on Debian (versus Arch) so you might have to do this differently.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres
Github

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#4 2013-03-16 17:02:04

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ If you build the source into a Debian package, it's more likely to "just work" with everything else you have installed, and dependencies are handled better.

@KneeTie:  I think checkinstall may be what you're looking for.

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#5 2013-03-16 19:09:59

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

But it is not a real application. It's just a bunch of files for fontconfig. Why go trough all the trouble of packaging, if you can just use the relevant files?

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres
Github

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#6 2013-03-16 19:28:50

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

^ what Unia said. All this package does is create a directory and untar an archive into it. It has no dependencies that need to be tracked. This is all it does:

mkdir -p $pkgdir/etc/fonts/conf.avail/sharpfonts
	mkdir -p $pkgdir/etc/fonts/conf.d
	tar xvf ${pkgname}.tar -C $pkgdir/etc/fonts/conf.avail/sharpfonts/
	cd $pkgdir/etc/fonts/conf.d
	ln -s ../conf.avail/sharpfonts/* .

#7 2013-03-16 19:38:05

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

But fontconfig might differ on Debian, so I'm not sure if you should use those directories.

EDIT: also, should you follow the above commands, you have to remove $pkgdir and ${pkgname}

Last edited by Unia (2013-03-16 19:38:57)

Github

#8 2013-03-16 19:43:52

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

Unia wrote:

But fontconfig might differ on Debian, so I'm not sure if you should use those directories.

EDIT: also, should you follow the above commands, you have to remove $pkgdir and ${pkgname}

Yes, you are correct. I did not intend for the OP to attempt to use the [ code] block without modification. I was just pointing out that it doesn't build or install anything that needs to be packaged or tracked. As you said, it just installs some config files.

Board footer