SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-09 21:42:00

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

External drive permissions issue in Thunar and PCManFM

I have a number of external hard drives which I would like to access under Waldorf. However, neither Thunar nor PCManFM seem to have the appropriate permissions to access any of the drives:

1ywUpRu.png
5dCnfUH.png

Many solutions to this issue have been proposed in the past at the arch forums and archbang forums, ubuntu forums and multiple times here. I'm a bit confused as to which advice to follow.

Any thoughts?

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-03-10 05:01:44

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Re: External drive permissions issue in Thunar and PCManFM

Just a request for clarification ...

What file format are the external drives formatted in ? Guessing ntfs ... as a budding web developer ? What happens if you open thunar or pcmanfm as root ? Many ways to do that, w run dialogue "gksudo thunar" or "gksudo pcmanfm" or in terminal "gksudo thunar &exit" or "gksudo pcmanfm &exit" Root should have access to everything, fact that they are showing up, must mean the external media is mounted ... Only that you don't have permission to access it, apparently not even read permission if it won't allow you to access the drives @ all.

More info would be helpful to me + others. Personally never had a problem mounting external media ... Willing to try n help sort it out though.

Vll! smile

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#3 2013-03-16 18:46:56

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

Sorry for the late response. I've had a lot going on this week.

CBizgreat! wrote:

What file format are the external drives formatted in ? Guessing ntfs ... as a budding web developer ?

I have never thought much about drive formatting. It sounds hard to believe, but it's true. I'm not sure how the drives are formatted.

CBizgreat! wrote:

What happens if you open thunar or pcmanfm as root ? Many ways to do that, w run dialogue "gksudo thunar" or "gksudo pcmanfm" or in terminal "gksudo thunar &exit" or "gksudo pcmanfm &exit" Root should have access to everything, fact that they are showing up, must mean the external media is mounted ... Only that you don't have permission to access it, apparently not even read permission if it won't allow you to access the drives @ all.

gksu thunar does not show the drive as being mounted in the thunar sidebar. thunar with normal user-permissions does. Perhaps I am doing something wrong?

#4 2013-03-17 01:06:27

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Know there are many nix utils/apps to make it easier to mount things and manage disks in gnu/Linux and of course cannot think of a good recommendation for one off the top. Would have to do some re/search.

Could check out this thread. The Professor ( Xaos) covers manually mounting in it. Which is what came to mind for me too. Type "mount" in terminal w/o the quotes and see what's mounted. The output of Xaos cmd or the mount cmd, should likely tell you what the external drive is formatted as.

Not surprised it isn't showing when you open file-manager as root, you'd likely have to navigate to /media or /mnt to find whatever is currently mounted, my understanding /mnt is generally used for TEMPORARY mount pts. Sucker should show up in one or the other. If it's mounted ...

Was curious so did some googling myself and seems mounting/unmounting an external ntfs formatted drive as a normal user can be a pita. Though #! comes w fuse and ntfs-3g/etc already anyway.

Like x-user in that Xaos52 link says ( if it is formatted as ntfs) ... Might try being more specific w the mount command "sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdxy /mnt/mountpoint" Where of course /dev/sdxy is the output you have for the external drive and /mnt/mountpoint is the name of the mount point you choose when you made it.

Another terminal poss "df -T" as always, tonnes of ways to go about anything in gnu/nix ... Sighs.

Other stuff could include ( again ... if ntfs) ... Plug the sucker into a window$ machine, run chkdsk on it to fix errors and be sure to properly unmount it under windows OS. ie: Select it and choose "Eject volume" or similar on whichever M$ OS is being used.

Also what groups does your user belong too ? Open terminal type either "groups" or "groups yourusername" to list them ?

stops babbling and holds off, as am likely to overwhelm or cause more problems than help resolve.

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-03-17 01:12:44)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#5 2013-03-20 12:02:49

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Babble edit ...

Facepalm moment ... thought thunar in #! had an open as root right click option too. Or it can be added with thunar custom actions ( which I need to do myself, thus why it didn't come to mind I guess.) So right click on the external drive and select open as root. Honestly though, that still sucks you shouldn't have to do that imo and manually mounting = even worse. Thought you'd have to add options to the mount command to make it read/write for regular users. Might look this over. Again still assuming the external drive it formatted as ntfs ?

Ok ... well that about wraps up any attempt to help I can make. Good luck ... should you find a solution, would be good juju to post what you found that worked for you. So that others may be spared the butt pains, time and effort.

Vll! smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-03-20 12:23:52)

Board footer