SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-12 19:52:27

oldgeek

New to crunch bang , install comments

Hello all
Just installed #! for the first time. Like what I see so far. But have only been using it for half an hour so far.

Was a little confused at first with the post install script. It says to have admin password ready but I had not set one up. Then I read the screen again and saw the word (sudo) in the sentence and away I went. Problem and confusion were at my end.

As for the rest of the script  it is great. A distro that asks if I want an office program set up , or printer etc. Wow you have done something that is missing from every other distro I have tried.

And the sym link for htdocs when setting up lamp , another winning idea.

Just wanted to say thank you and keep up the good work.

Will be lurking in back ground for a while to try and get a feel for the forum. May not post much as doctors tell me I have some form of early onset brain problem and some days just cannot get a sentence together.

oldgeek

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-02-12 20:00:51

pcybill
#! CrunchBanger

Re: New to crunch bang , install comments

From one oldgeek to another, welcome  cool

#3 2013-02-12 20:57:48

douglas
#! CrunchBanger

Welcome to #!

#4 2013-02-13 00:42:00

davec51

This seems to be a place for us old people. I'm old, but I don't aspire to the high calling of geek. Anyway, I installed #! yesterday and was very pleased to be given a choice not to install a bootloader. I have several Linux distros on two hard drives (one computer), and I would rather add this one to the bootloader rather than having to scramble around to get those others on (one is a frugal installation). I'm happily motoring along now, with no unsolvable proglems. Thanks for a stable and enjoyable OS.

#5 2013-02-15 01:52:12

oldgeek

I use the term geek to show way of thinking, not to imply any skill level.
You have several distos installed, know what a bootloader is and are posting to this forum. Sounds like you have a strong geek streak if you want it or not ! :D

Keep exploring and having fun.

the old geek

#6 2013-02-15 14:35:42

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

i may not be old old, but to the kiddies, i'm old.   ... and i certainly feel an affinity for those of us who remember green and black radiation gun monitors.  as such, very glad to have you aboard, even if only lurking in the background.  smile

i hope you manage to look after your brain well enough to stick around and post a few sentences.  omega oils, vitamin K, ginkgo biloba, crosswords & sodoku, cannabinoid supplementation, vitamin D3 and care not to take too much calcium, meditation, keeping well hydrated and rested, ayurveda & yoga, avoiding excitotoxins like the plague, etc... whatever it takes.  gotta look after the ol' noggin, or the pebkac errors increase.  (speaking from experience).  smile  be well.  smile

Last edited by Digit (2013-02-15 14:39:29)

~ think ~
i have chosen to commit to bedrocklinux.
causes of the mo: remember aaron | stop lennart (& systemd) | without a shot fired

#7 2013-02-15 17:09:19

Zip

Welcome to #!

Codes  |  Photos  |  Colors

#8 2013-02-15 19:37:58

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Welcome aboard oldgeek.

You might find this thread of interest :-
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=23168

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#9 2013-02-15 20:07:16

txbahai
#! CrunchBanger

Old is all perception..... If I said I saw the original Star Wars, Rocky, and Grease in the theatre; would I classify as old?

Kindest Regards,
Tim A

#10 2013-02-19 00:52:31

deathrider

Just installed Waldorf non pae yesterday.  I also am new to #! and so far I'm very impressed.  I was considering a Debian base install, then building something lightweight from the ground up, but this was a lot easier to run with once I got it installed.  I'm learning a lot about the command line and config files (especially the config files), so #! is more or less just what I need to run for a while and study before I build a complete custom Debian system.

Now for my comments.  First the good:

Non pae version rules; thank you for going through the trouble of doing that.  Recently acquired an IBM Thinkpad T42 and this is a really good fit for my hardware.

Including the non-free drivers saved me the trouble of configuring the wireless; just boot and there's the internets.  The first run script is really cool, too.

Also, the community support here on the site is awesome.  Had this problem and found the help lickity split.

Overall, I think the default setup is very elegant and well done.  Like I said, I'm impressed and want to say great job to the powers that be here.

The bad:

No ncurses or expert install options.  It may seem silly, but ncurses installs are my jam.  I know the graphicals do the same thing, but on older hardware they can be a little laggy.  And leaving out the expert option can make troubleshooting harder if you run into any snags.

Reiserfs not supported on install.  After install is complete, the packages are there for it, but couldn't use reiserfs for my /var partition.  Tried formatting my partitions from the live cd prior to install, but still couldn't use that partition 'as is.'  Partman made me choose a different fs type.

No creation of root account available.  This seems odd.  Does wheezy drop this as well?  I've run Ubuntu for over 7 years now, so I'm very familiar with sudo, but I used Squeeze for a week before I migrated to #! and I have to say I grew to like the root account setup better.  *edit* Totally dippy noob move there.  Just used sudo passwd.

All in all, I'm happy with my #! system and I can already tell I'll be sticking with it on this laptop for a long time.  Came very close to installing it on my desktop, but my girlfriend uses it all the time and she might be annoyed with having to learn new stuff.

Thanks for #! and keep up the good work!

Last edited by deathrider (2013-03-07 07:30:53)

Death Rider you've taken the earth by storm
Death Rider out of sin and hatred you were born

#11 2013-02-20 15:09:14

g33zr
#! Junkie

I'd like to share my first impressions after installing #! on my new laptop.

The install was quick and, after rebooting, everything worked: wlan, audio/video, printer, etc. As I wrote while introducing myself, I was very impressed with the speed and the clean look of #!.

Question: Why are do newly installed apps NOT appear in the menu after installation? Sure, I could open them by launching and running separately, but it seems strange that they aren't integrated in the menu.

Major Problem: The system froze numerous time while copy files from my external HD to the internal drive; it also froze while multitasking--e.g., two browser open at the same time, checking e-mail, etc.  Looking at the forums, I noticed that another user also experienced system freezes that apparently were linked to the touchpad, but since my System76 (Pangolin Performance) laptop was designed and built for Linux (albeit Ubuntu), I'd be surprised that the touchpad was the cause of the freezes. Unfortunately, this was a deal breaker for me since I expected #! to be stable and reliable. sad

Meanwhile, I've returned to Mint--which always works for me--but will continue to run #! in VM. That said, I really like #! and look forward to when it will be my #1 distro.  smile

I'm trying to think, but nothing happens. Curly Howard lol

OHCG | LXer

#12 2013-02-22 09:28:28

deathrider

Geezer,

By default, #! doesn't have a menu that auto-configures whenever new packages are installed.  Instead, you'll find the 'Edit menu.xml' under the Settings>Openbox> path in the menu.  Be warned that this config file is located in the /home/'username'/.config/openbox directory and can be edited without root privileges.  If you want to tinker with it, but aren't sure of what you're doing, back up this file in the convenient /home/'username'/backup directory before you start.  By the way, if using Thunar, you can find directories and files with a ' . ' in front of them by clicking on 'View' and check-marking 'Show Hidden Files'.

Or, you might like the xfce panel that's included with #!  Try it out by opening a terminal and typing

xfce4-panel

and it will launch and should be easily configured.  Here is the web documentation for it.  I used xfce in Ubuntu for a long time, and while just having the panel isn't the full desktop, it might just auto-configure the menu for newly installed packages.

Not sure about the freezing issue, but could be a problem with one or both of the hard drives.  You can test them easily using gsmartcontrol which you can get by typing

sudo apt-get install gsmartcontrol

in a terminal.

Hope this helps, man.

Last edited by deathrider (2013-02-22 09:30:49)

#13 2013-02-22 15:27:51

sevensage
#! CrunchBanger

In addition to deathriders suggestion, you could try these pipemenus

dig +short txt crunchbang.wp.dg.cx

#14 2013-02-22 15:42:24

g33zr
#! Junkie

deathrider wrote:

Geezer,

By default, #! doesn't have a menu that auto-configures whenever new packages are installed.  Instead, you'll find the 'Edit menu.xml' under the Settings>Openbox> path in the menu.  Be warned that this config file is located in the /home/'username'/.config/openbox directory and can be edited without root privileges.  If you want to tinker with it, but aren't sure of what you're doing, back up this file in the convenient /home/'username'/backup directory before you start.  By the way, if using Thunar, you can find directories and files with a ' . ' in front of them by clicking on 'View' and check-marking 'Show Hidden Files'.

Or, you might like the xfce panel that's included with #!  Try it out by opening a terminal and typing

xfce4-panel

and it will launch and should be easily configured.  Here is the web documentation for it.  I used xfce in Ubuntu for a long time, and while just having the panel isn't the full desktop, it might just auto-configure the menu for newly installed packages.

Not sure about the freezing issue, but could be a problem with one or both of the hard drives.  You can test them easily using gsmartcontrol which you can get by typing

sudo apt-get install gsmartcontrol

in a terminal.

Hope this helps, man.

Many thanks deathrider, the laptop is new and the HDD is ok, but I'll run a test to double check. When I decide to reinstall #!, install the Xfce panel and see how that goes. Meanwhile, I'm going to spend some time with the documentation.  smile

OHCG | LXer

#15 2013-02-22 15:44:41

g33zr
#! Junkie

sevensage wrote:

In addition to deathriders suggestion, you could try these pipemenus

Thanks sevensage for the pipemenus. It's great info that I can certainly use.  smile

OHCG | LXer

#16 2013-02-27 23:56:19

g33zr
#! Junkie

OK, here's an update. I re-installed #! to my laptop HDD today, but this time I used a DVD instead of a USB flash drive (not sure if that had anything to do with the freezing problems I experienced with the first install). Anyway, the install was quick and -- knock on wood -- I've had no problems whatsoever this time and EVERYTHING worked out of the box.  I love #! -- it's the best ! smile

OHCG | LXer

#17 2013-03-09 20:51:51

deathrider

I, too, have an update.  I ran into this problem after installing Wheezy on my desktop.  It looks like your problem was different since it went away.  I thought installing #! would solve it, but it kept happening and that's when I found the above link.  I found another link that I can't currently find that said it was a known bug and would be fixed in the 3.8 kernel, so I compiled a new kernel as per these instructions.  Although I read that the bug fix was ported to the 3.6 kernel I went ahead and used the latest stable version from The Linux Kernel Archives

One problem I ran into was that

fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image

gave me an error that the revision name must start with a number, so I would suggest anyone using this method to change the above code to be more like

fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --revision=1.0.custom kernel_image

Currently at 1d7h15m uptime and no crash happening.  Stoked!

Board footer